PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Satterfield Still Employed at ASU?

Go Apps
October 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Add to that why is Cobb still employed? The ASU program should not be in this situation - no excuses we have lost to teams with lesser talent.

Interesting that while I was downtown Boone on Saturday before the game - they were selling "Where's Jerry" tshirts - they could not sell them fast enough.

blueballs
October 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
This should be entertaining...xpopcornx

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Ah, this is gonna be a good one.

pike51
October 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
naked pictures of someone high ranking for blackmail?

SpeedkingATL
October 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Wow...four games into the season.....just wow. This discussion is usually left on Appfan.

What kind of coach will you be able to attract if he sees the prior coach gone after 4 games????? Not to mention the contract buyout. Yes the season is disappointing but stop and think for a second.

Everyone can now pile on.........xsmhx

ASUMountaineer
October 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Add to that why is Cobb still employed? The ASU program should not be in this situation - no excuses we have lost to teams with lesser talent.

Interesting that while I was downtown Boone on Saturday before the game - they were selling "Where's Jerry" tshirts - they could not sell them fast enough.

To piss off irrational people like you. I fully support their efforts. xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
October 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/052011/1305865316_cute_girls_reaction.gif

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I remember reading the old CNNSI boards back in the late 90's. Seem to remember most every Appy fan that posted on that board was calling for Moore's head since he never could win the big game (ie NC)

Smitty
October 2nd, 2013, 01:34 PM
To give us hope, dreams, and rainbows that Western will be at least competitive in the Jug game this year.

BisonFan02
October 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Fire Satterfield...Hire Mussman

Bisonator
October 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Fire Satterfield...Hire Mussman

At least you can see the difference in the fan bases. ASU has 4 bad games and want to fire the coach and AD. Shows the fans demand success even if a little irrational. UN_ has 4 bad seasons and the HC and AD appear to be still there next year.xlolx

Apphole
October 2nd, 2013, 02:25 PM

If this was a Saturday night, knee-jerk reaction type thing, it might be forgivable...

Get a grip man. Rome wasn't remade in a day.

Apphole
October 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
To give us hope, dreams, and rainbows that Western will be at least competitive in the Jug game this year.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Barry-Yes.gif

ASUG8
October 2nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
If this was a Saturday night, knee-jerk reaction type thing, it might be forgivable...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?141784-Big-South-good-CSU-27-Appy-24&p=2017464#post2017464

CID1990
October 2nd, 2013, 03:28 PM

Yeah but it dang sure wasn't burned down in a day, either.

Apphole
October 2nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?141784-Big-South-good-CSU-27-Appy-24&p=2017464#post2017464

Post date and time
(09-28-2013, 06:37 PM)

"If this was a Saturday night, knee-jerk reaction type thing, it might be forgivable..."

ursus arctos horribilis
October 2nd, 2013, 05:56 PM
I remember reading the old CNNSI boards back in the late 90's. Seem to remember most every Appy fan that posted on that board was calling for Moore's head since he never could win the big game (ie NC)

That was going on here on AGS after the 2004 season during the summer going into 2005.

appsfan
October 2nd, 2013, 06:27 PM
C'mon man.... give Satterfield a little time. It would be different if this is happening in four years, after he has had a chance to recruit all the players on the roster, then it would be time to turn up the heat.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Who said the teams you lost to have "lesser talent?"

Apphole
October 3rd, 2013, 06:36 AM
Who said the teams you lost to have "lesser talent?"

Anyone familiar with the respective programs or who watched the games.

We were out coached.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 07:30 AM

We were out coached.

What did you call him before, the "Chessmaster?" Him outcoached?

At the end of the day, it is probably a little of both. I'm sure Satterfield is finding is sea legs out there, but that only goes so far. If App was clearly more talented on the field, they wouldn't look as bad as they have.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
whats funny is the same people call for his job right now, are the same people who will call for a contract extension if he wins 4 in a row. You cant form a realistic option of how good or bad a coach is based on 4 games, and you certainly cant get a good idea of how good or bad he will be for the next 10 years. We will be fine.

gsu2583
October 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM
whats funny is the same people call for his job right now, are the same people who will call for a contract extension if he wins 4 in a row. You cant form a realistic option of how good or bad a coach is based on 4 games, and you certainly cant get a good idea of how good or bad he will be for the next 10 years. We will be fine.

6 games it is then...

MSU_77
October 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
You guys are tough! :) Our fans usually wait a whole season before calling for the coach's head.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 09:34 AM
It might be that Satterfield has a touch of what has plagued Bruce Fowler. Inherits a program with some exception individual talent, but lacks depth on the roster at key positions. That is, there are 7 or 8 players that are exceptional, and over 50 that aren't.

AppChicago
October 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
Step away from the ledge, folks.

Green26
October 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
Besides the impact of coaching changes, App St is suffering from some amount of lack of motivation on the part of players. They have little or nothing to play for this year, especially the seniors. No playoffs. No conference championship. The team, especially the seniors, are left in a lost year. There is no way the team worked as hard in the offseason as they might otherwise have, and there is no way that they are playing as hard as they otherwise would be --if they were still competing for playoffs/conference championship or actually in FBS. Maybe the coach or coaches are a big part of the problem too, but it's certainly not all the coaching.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Besides the impact of coaching changes, App St is suffering from some amount of lack of motivation on the part of players. They have little or nothing to play for this year, especially the seniors. No playoffs. No conference championship. The team, especially the seniors, are left in a lost year. There is no way the team worked as hard in the offseason as they might otherwise have, and there is no way that they are playing as hard as they otherwise would be --if they were still competing for playoffs/conference championship or actually in FBS. Maybe the coach or coaches are a big part of the problem too, but it's certainly not all the coaching.

I'm tired of hearing this. '93 Auburn (11-0), ineligible for post season. '95 Alabama (8-3 - tied for second in SEC West), ineligible for post season. '02 Alabama (10-3 - first in SEC), ineligible for post season. '12 Ohio State (12-0), ineligible for post season. '12 Penn State (8-4), ineligible for post season.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of others. I've said it before, but if App and GSU players are mailing it in because they cannot play for a championship, and I were a booster, I would demand my money back. If I were a coach, I would find 11 guys that wanted to give 100% for the University and bench everyone else.

The post season ineligibility is not an excuse.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
I'm tired of hearing this. '93 Auburn (11-0), ineligible for post season. '95 Alabama (8-3 - tied for second in SEC West), ineligible for post season. '02 Alabama (10-3 - first in SEC), ineligible for post season. '12 Ohio State (12-0), ineligible for post season. '12 Penn State (8-4), ineligible for post season.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of others. I've said it before, but if App and GSU players are mailing it in because they cannot play for a championship, and I were a booster, I would demand my money back. If I were a coach, I would find 11 guys that wanted to give 100% for the University and bench everyone else.

Every one one of those programs you list are elite programs. They have more players with a realistic chance of playing in the NFL than Georgia Southern and App. State do. I would bet the reasons that many players sign on to those programs is different for the reasons they sign with programs like App. State and GSU. App. State and GSU have more players who sign up for the competition at the conference and national level.

After watching GSU beat Chatty and seeing App. State lose to CSU, I'm less convinced that it's a big issue, but it's still going to be a an issue. The players are playing a dangerous game and if they signed up for the chance to compete for conference and national championships I can't blame them for not always being overly motivated.

PhillyApp1
October 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM

WOW....Your ridiculous post has made me PROUD because you are the only one with that point of view !!!

And even if we wanted to change, my guess is , you could not buy out the coaches salary AND pay for the new coaches ;-)

ITS STILL GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER !!!

PhillyApp1
October 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM

Green...if your an athlete of any quality, those points don't count.....either you are proud of competing and winning or you have talent with no heart and should be benched.....APP problems are atleast 3 fold...past coaching and developing, current new coaching, players that have not shown leadership and personal growth.

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxrotatehxxeyebrowx

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Every one one of those programs you list are elite programs. They have more players with a realistic chance of playing in the NFL than Georgia Southern and App. State do. I would bet the reasons that many players sign on to those programs is different for the reasons they sign with programs like App. State and GSU. App. State and GSU have more players who sign up for the competition at the conference and national level.

After watching GSU beat Chatty and seeing App. State lose to CSU, I'm less convinced that it's a big issue, but it's still going to be a an issue. The players are playing a dangerous game and if they signed up for the chance to compete for conference and national championships I can't blame them for not always being overly motivated.

I just cannot agree with that. You are getting a ride to get a free education in exchange for playing football at a high level. It is just too convenient an excuse to explain losses with "well, they have nothing to play for." Have some pride in what you do.

Look, App got walloped last year at home by the Citadel. They gave up half the distance from Statesboro to Atlanta in rushing to Wofford. They were bounced in the first round of the playoffs. They turn around in 2013 and got soundly beat by Montana and then shut down by NC A&T and CSU. App is 4-5 since the Wofford game last season. Their four wins? Georgia Southern (a nice get) and woefully bad Furman, Western, and Elon.

In my opinion, they may just not be what they were (they can come join Furman at the table).

Green26
October 3rd, 2013, 03:32 PM

It's the truth. It's not an excuse. All of the examples you provided are not applicable.

Green26
October 3rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Green...if your an athlete of any quality, those points don't count.....either you are proud of competing and winning or you have talent with no heart and should be benched.....APP problems are atleast 3 fold...past coaching and developing, current new coaching, players that have not shown leadership and personal growth.

I was a starter on a D-I football team ranked in the top 25, actually top 15. The motivation to work out hard, year round, and compete at or near 100% week after week, is far beyond pride and heart. Pride and heart tends to come into play during games, not lifting weights and running in the off season or even during practices. What are your athletic or football credentials? Doesn't look like you played the game at any significant level. Sorry, couldn't resist. I have no doubt that there are other important factors, but offseason, and probably even in-season, motivation is one of them. I also have some information from inside App St athletics.

PhillyApp1
October 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM
You are correct.
I did not have the physical body to play football. tall and skinny, basketball did me better.
But motivation should be a scholarship, playing time, coaches, maturity.
I couldn't handle a player that didn't care and work hard.
I was raised to play hard or go home, and I am from philly were you will get called out. My body scars show my extremism in basketball and life.

So Green, what is the answer?
Have all the internet posts been correct that the past years recruiting of players and the coaching is coming home to roost?

dbackjon
October 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM

So App and GSU aren't elite programs?

Accelerati Incredibilus
October 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
Satterfield is a only a by-product of the real issue, Charlie Cobb. Due to his excessive taste App spent more than it should have on athletic facilities. Most people don't have a clue how bad of financial shape App is. He allowed some big money people influence his basketball hires which have turned a competitive program into a joke. He brought in a women's coach who started winning games (prior 6 years 63-110), but has yet to win a big game and has lost three straight in the conference finals to little old Samford. Cobb has presided over a huge expansion of athletic department personnel and pissed off a ton of long time supporters with his arrogant attitude. He rigged the FB coaching search by approving 3 year contract extensions for Satterfield, Dale Jones and Scott Sloan a full year ahead of him forcing Jerry Moore out of the job. I was shocked to hear who the 4 finalists were because interest in our job should have been huge. And it was right up until the prospective coaches were told they had to keep 3 assistants off the present staff because the school didn't have the funds to buy them out. The choice was pretty easy after that. Once Cobb is replaced App will be back.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Satterfield is a only a by-product of the real issue, Charlie Cobb. Due to his excessive taste App spent more than it should have on athletic facilities. Most people don't have a clue how bad of financial shape App is. He allowed some big money people influence his basketball hires which have turned a competitive program into a joke. He brought in a women's coach who started winning games (prior 6 years 63-110), but has yet to win a big game and has lost three straight in the conference finals to little old Samford. Cobb has presided over a huge expansion of athletic department personnel and pissed off a ton of long time supporters with his arrogant attitude. He rigged the FB coaching search by approving 3 year contract extensions for Satterfield, Dale Jones and Scott Sloan a full year ahead of him forcing Jerry Moore out of the job. I was shocked to hear who the 4 finalists were because interest in our job should have been huge. And it was right up until the prospective coaches were told they had to keep 3 assistants off the present staff because the school didn't have the funds to buy them out. The choice was pretty easy after that. Once Cobb is replaced App will be back.

Not necessarily good news going into perhaps the most important year in App State athletic history

BullDog85
October 3rd, 2013, 10:30 PM

We were out coached.
I hope that trend continues for you guys this weekend, but our performance so far this season suggest otherwise.

Go Apps
October 4th, 2013, 06:25 AM

I can live with this post -

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2013, 06:57 AM
So App and GSU aren't elite programs?

No, he's arguing that those listed programs are more likely to have players that work harder in a lost year because they are more likely to play in the NFL. Of course, that argument ignores that the vast majority of players on even the elite college teams will never see an NFL training camp. I just named those programs off the top of my head.

I'm quite certain that my argument would hold true even for the non-elite FBS programs. For example (and some would know far better than I), but didn't North Dakota State have some fantastic seasons after transitioning to the FCS where they were precluded from playoff participation?