PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone unseat Montana from the Big Sky?

Jacks76
September 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I have a hard time believing that anyone from the Big Sky is going to finally end Montana's decade long+ run in the conference. The Griz last failed to the make the playoffs in 1992 (with a record of 6-5 that year).

Their last losing season? 1985 (a record of 3-8 that year).

Since 1978, the Griz have made the Division I-AA playoffs 16 times, winning the National Championship twice.

For those curious, here is a great website which lists not only Montana's all-time record (since 1945), but all of Division I-A, I-AA, II and even the NFL:

http://www.michigan-football.com/

(scroll down to "Web Sites of Potential Interest")

Paul

LacesOut
September 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM
C'mon PSU!!

PSU!! PSU!!! PSU!!

putter
September 28th, 2006, 02:31 PM
The Big Sky (excluding Montana) has made huge strides in the quality of teams they are fielding. For a few years there, after Idaho, Boise and UNR left, there was not a lot of competition out there for them year in and year out but that has changed. The first schools to develop their kids through recruiting, not dropdowns, I believe will dethrone them.

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 02:36 PM
If anyone, it will be PSU, but we will find out about that Saturday.

DaGriz
September 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I think last year especially was the year it could have happened. NAU, ISU, and PSU all seem loaded this year plus Cal Poly is never an easy game so this might also be the year but our home schedule sets up nice this year. I think we were fortunate last year to make it. I think if it doesn't happen this year it's going to be a few years still. We are very deep with very few seniors playing. But you never know, it has to end eventually.

AZGrizFan
September 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think last year especially was the year it could have happened. NAU, ISU, and PSU all seem loaded this year plus Cal Poly is never an easy game so this might also be the year but our home schedule sets up nice this year. I think we were fortunate last year to make it. I think if it doesn't happen this year it's going to be a few years still. We are very deep with very few seniors playing. But you never know, it has to end eventually.

All it takes is a couple of ill-timed injuries. : smh :

dbackjon
September 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Portland probably has the best shot this year. I don't see NAU winning in Missoula.

grizbeer
September 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
2008 could be the year - Montana will be absolutely loaded next year with seniors. If the team is anywhere near as good as I think they will be in 2007 in addition to replacing all starting running backs, receivers, linebackers, all but one defensive back, and kickers I suspect the Griz will be looking for a new coaching staff for 2008.

Even though the Griz are deep at all positions for the next few years, anytime you change coaches it can go sideways on you.

MylesKnight
September 28th, 2006, 04:12 PM
No smack intended here, as I think the UM Football Program is arguably THE model in how to do things at the I-AA level.

But.....

To answer the question given, going forward, the UM may avoid being unseated at the top of the league by the fact that the Big Sky passed on expanding to the Dakotas.

Just throwing that out there.

Cheers to UM!!

youwouldno
September 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I like PSU this weekend but location has a lot to do with that. Montana is still a good bet to take the Big Sky.

mtgrizfan4life
September 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I agree with DaGriz, last year was a down year for the GRIZ. I was honestly pleasantly surprised making the playoffs last year. As for this year, if we stay healthy we will make a deep run in the playoffs this year even if PSU beats us this weekend. Speaking of PSU, it will take their absolute best effort in all aspects to beat the GRIZ. We are young and loaded at every position. My feeling here is that both PSU and Montana will represent the BSC in the playoffs this year. AS for 07 our biggest loss will be replacing Swogger, but Coach Hauck is addressing that already by using Cole Berquist in normal game conditions about a quarter a game. Thus far, Cole has looked good and he certainly is a leader too. We have our top 3 rbs returning (Hillard, Bradshaw, Coleman, Can we run the wishbone?) We have our 3 tes returning and our top 3 WR's (Chambers, Allen, and Bagley (after running the wishbone we can change to a 5 WR formation.) We will also have most our OL back. Defensively we lose a few players, but Hauck uses 20 to 25 players defensively so there is not and will not be any drop off. This year possibly PSU will be take the title from us, but I doubt it. Next year, no way we will be unseated if we stay healthy. IT looks like 08 will be the best year to dethrone the griz and possibly end the playoff run. However the SO and FR are looking good in practices, scrimmages, and many get reps already. Either way, it will be fun to watch the next few years. GO GRIZ!!!!!!!

Jacks76
September 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
How about NAU for the next couple of years? Jason Murrietta is graduating after this season and either Lance Kriesien or Brian Wriston will take his place at QB. Wriston played at Moon Valley High School in Phoenix, while Kriesien played at Dulles High School in Sugar Land, Texas.

WR Alex Watson will return for his senior season next year, and Skyler Moore will be back for his junior season.

A breakdown of the NAU roster follows:

16 seniors (18.1%)
22 juniors (25.0%)
19 sophomores (21.6%)
31 freshman (35.2%)

NAU's 2007 schedule isn't yet posted.

Paul

AZGrizFan
September 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM
How about NAU for the next couple of years? Jason Murrietta is graduating after this season and either Lance Kriesien or Brian Wriston will take his place at QB. Wriston played at Moon Valley High School in Phoenix, while Kriesien played at Dulles High School in Sugar Land, Texas.

WR Alex Watson will return for his senior season next year, and Skyler Moore will be back for his junior season.

NAU's 2007 schedule isn't posted.

Paul

You sure about that?

dbackjon
September 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Paul

Or Pete Hargis at QB - Army transfer from Desert Vista in Phoenix

dbackjon
September 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
You sure about that?

He's not THAT good to go pro after his junior year - at least I hope he would not. Would be huge mistake.

Jacks76
September 28th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Alex Watson will need another year to full develop into an NFL-calibur player. Right now he's great at the 1-AA level, but to get noticed by the scouts he needs another full year at NAU.

Paul

PantherRob82
September 28th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I believe the answer to the question is no.

Hansel
September 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
the kitties in another upset in missoula

griz37
September 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM
the kitties in another upset in missoula

You've been drinking too much of that Bozeman water Hansel!

UNHWildCats
September 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I think Montana will win easily this weekend.

Jacks76
September 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Does Montana have plans on moving up to Division I-A?

Paul

Proud Griz Man
September 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
You've been drinking too much of that Bozeman water Hansel!

Its not the Bozeman water that gets ya, its the whiskey mixed with it. xlolx

ncbears
September 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Does Montana have plans on moving up to Division I-A?

Paul

Please, not again. PLEASE!!!!

GreenDay17
September 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I think Montana will win easily this weekend.

You better hide behind that mask to make that comment!!:doh:

mtgrizfan4life
September 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM
As for Mt going to Div 1A, go to Egriz.com sign up and read how many times the subject has come up. That subject starts a war there being their so many opinions regarding a move up. Myself I wish we could play WAC or Mountain West in basketball and stay 1AA in football. I will leave it at that or be prepared to be hung with either opinion of the 1A move.

RobsPics
September 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
This is PSU's Year!

Jackluv
September 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
i think montana will win easily this weekend....without sawyer leading the way for PSU they are done.

UNHWildCats
September 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM
i think montana will win easily this weekend....without sawyer leading the way for PSU they are done.

:nonono2: :nonono2: Theres no room behind my mask for you. xlolx xlolx xlolx

BisonBacker
September 29th, 2006, 12:20 PM
No smack intended here, as I think the UM Football Program is arguably THE model in how to do things at the I-AA level.

But.....

To answer the question given, going forward, the UM may avoid being unseated at the top of the league by the fact that the Big Sky passed on expanding to the Dakotas

Just throwing that out there.

Cheers to UM!!

That's been thrown out there before as a possible reason we didn't get in to the BSC. I'm not sure I buy it tho as I think it was due to a west coast influence but never did understand why the Montana schools didn't throw around a little weight. Everyone knows they are the heavy hitters in the conference. :eyebrow:

Tailbone
September 29th, 2006, 02:33 PM
.....I think it was due to a west coast influence but never did understand why the Montana schools didn't throw around a little weight......

When attempting to understand something that doesn't seem to make sense, take "Deepthroat's" advice...........

Follow the money!

griz8791
September 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Please, not again. PLEASE!!!!

No kidding. The ground has been pounded absolutely flat.

JALMOND
September 29th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Glad to see that everyone is on Smith's bandwagon, now. The offense will do fine. Our defense is still intact, one that held I-A New Mexico and Cal scoreless in the second half of both games.

Whichever team wins will have earned it. This will not be an easy game from either end.