PDA

View Full Version : Maine at Boston College this Saturday

bainsey
September 27th, 2006, 10:36 PM
On Saturday, Maine football (2-1) travels to Chestnut Hill for its annual game against a I-A opponent. In the last two years, the Maine defense has held I-A teams (Mississippi State and Nebraska) to one offensive touchdown each game. Maine beat MSU 9-7, then lost to Nebraska 25-7.

I've been visiting EagleAction.com, and to say the least, BC fans aren't too pumped about this game. One even insisted they send a message to the BC administrators and throw away their tickets (like that would make a difference). All I know is I don't want to play anyone who lost the week before on a last-minute TD.

It's too soon to peg this Maine team. They've had a road loss to a top ten team (Youngstown State), a road win at a tough conference foe (W&M), and a home clobbering of D-II Shaw. If the Eagles take this game as seriously as their fans do (which should never happen), Maine would have a good chance of winning.

ASU Kep
September 28th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Isn't BC ranked? (actually...after checking they are 26 in the AP...but 25 in the USA Today rankings).

I'd love to see it happen...but BC damn well might be the best ACC team this year (along with Clemson). It'd be the largest I-AA/I-A upset so far this year...and possibly ever. Best of luck.

youwouldno
September 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I dunno about 'ever,' though its possible. Regardless it would be a huge upset.

Go Maine!

ASU Kep
September 28th, 2006, 01:09 AM
A I-AA has never defeated a ranked I-A. Granted, BC isn't ranked in the AP, but they are in the USA Today. And (no offense Maine fans, you have a great program and were our last loss here) Maine is no App, UNH, Furman, Montana, etc. this year. Granted, I'm not as well-versed as some in the history of I-AA but I read the thread about it (:D) and IMO this might be the biggie. I hope they pull it off, though I wouldn't put the farm on it happening.

PapaBear
September 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM
The key to this game is whether Maine can generate a running game. If the Black Bears can run the ball with some effectiveness, it will improve their ability to pass, which means they'll be able to move the chains and give their defense a chance to breathe between series.

A fresh Black Hole D can hold its own with BC, I believe.

But if Maine is forced into "pass for survival" mode, they will have a long day.

Looks like a beautiful, sunny, Saturday afternoon. I'm ready for some football.:hurray:

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I think if BC would've won last week the game would be much closer.

Blue Hen Nation
September 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
This one could get ugly for the Black Bears. :nod:

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I think if BC would've won last week the game would be much closer.

Yep, my Wolfpack upset them, so they are gonna be pissed

Umass74
September 28th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Obviously, we are all Black Bears fans this weekend. Go Maine! I still remember how much fun it was listening to the Mississippi State feed when Maine won.:nod:

The games by B.C. against New England I-AA teams have not been blowouts. We lost to them 29-7 in 2004 when we were 6-5 overall. Northeastern has played them tough twice.

B.C. is a big strong team. They produce a lot of OL for the NFL.

B.C. Should win, but it will be a football game. Eagles 35 Black bears 14.

ccd494
September 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
One thing to keep in mind, BC sucks. At everything.