PDA

View Full Version : Most Significant Win/Loss Week 5

bjtheflamesfan
September 29th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Time for the weekly discussion of the biggest winner and loser on the gridiron (and prayers that once again the voters dont give them both to the same game although there is one that could lead to that conclusion after yesterday...)

FargoBison
September 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Win: Lehigh
Loss: Montana

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Gil Dobie
September 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Loss Montana
Win Chuck South

wmmii
September 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Win: Lehigh
Loss: Montana

RabidRabbit
September 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Win - Chuck South
Loss - UNH

dystopiamembrane
September 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM
How do you define "significant" when making a decision for these choices on the AGS poll form?
I made up my mind a couple of years ago on my definition.
My votes go to the teams which had the greatest movement from the previous week, up and down, which caused those teams to move into or out of the top 25.
Examples from my poll this week. Names have been removed to protect the innocent.
Team A was #50 last week, they move up 30 spots from the previous week. Two teams had greater movement, but that movement did not help them crack the top 25. Team A is the most significant win.
Team B was #6 last week. That team dropped 28 spots this week. One team had a greater drop, but that team wasn't in the top 25 last week. Team B is the most significant loss.
Thoughts?

paward
September 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM
It is a hat trick this week. Too bad we could not pick top five wins and loses.

FormerPokeCenter
September 29th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Win: Chuck South
Loss: Tie...McNeese (because it was a complete beat down), Montana and SFA (To a SWAC team after beating Montana State?? Seriously???)

penguinpower
September 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
UNI win over McNeese was most Significant win and how McNeese lost was most significant Loss.

Nugget49er
September 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Win: Charlotte
This was our program's first road win and our team seems to be learning every week.

Loss: Appalachian
Going to an App home game is an effort and lots of people will stop making the trip when they lose confidence in the team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Win - SHSU
Loss - Montana

BlueHenSinfonian
September 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Win - Chuck South

Loss - UNH

Samalum'10
September 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Win SHSU
Loss Montana

WileECoyote06
September 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Win - Northern Arizona
Loss - McNeese State

heath
September 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
How do you define "significant" when making a decision for these choices on the AGS poll form?
I made up my mind a couple of years ago on my definition.
My votes go to the teams which had the greatest movement from the previous week, up and down, which caused those teams to move into or out of the top 25.
Examples from my poll this week. Names have been removed to protect the innocent.
Team A was #50 last week, they move up 30 spots from the previous week. Two teams had greater movement, but that movement did not help them crack the top 25. Team A is the most significant win.
Team B was #6 last week. That team dropped 28 spots this week. One team had a greater drop, but that team wasn't in the top 25 last week. Team B is the most significant loss.
Thoughts?
BLAH BLAH BLAH.......its a simple question. Just use common sense. Nice job Lehigh.

Tribal
September 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I have UNH as the biggest loss because they have a tough CAA schedule and have already dropped 2 games. If they can't figure it out soon, they'll miss the playoffs for the first time is what seems like forever. They're good enough to make a run but Lehigh was a bad loss...should not have happened.

Biggest win was NAU. I had them in my top 20 but wasn't sold on them. Great win moved them up several spots in my poll.

Twentysix
September 29th, 2013, 02:26 PM
NAU

McNeese

McNeese75
September 29th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Win - SHSU
Loss - Montana

lionsrking2
September 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM
WIN - Charleston Southern

LOSS - Montana

Lehigh'98
September 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
W - SHSU, statement game. They will be a force again in playoffs.

L- UNH, with 2 weeks to prepare and Towson and Terrance West looming, this was a horrendous L for their playoff hopes

dystopiamembrane
September 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH.......its a simple question. Just use common sense.
Thanks. I'll try that.

MSUBobcat
September 29th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Win - Lehigh - they won the Overrated Bowl, the only Bowl game this weekend. Win a Bowl = most significant win
Loss - Chatty - how could the best team ever assembled, with coaches who can't be outschemed, lose?!?! Oh, right, bad officiating. Knew there was a logical explanation.

superman7515
September 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Most significant loss = Appalachian State
That's going to hurt for a while.

ngineer
September 29th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I see Lehigh with the most "significant" win as it was totally unexpected by 99% of this Board, with many expecting a blowout. As least "some" now see Lehigh as being "competitive". (eye roll).

The most 'significant' loss is always more difficult. Obviously, UNH's loss can have significant implications on their season, but they can still get back on track within the CAA. OTOH, Montana' loss was within conference and therefore,more painful. Also, EWU losing by a few scores is significant to me, as I thought they were the best challenger to NDSU, and while I had SHSU only two notches behind, a convincing win by EWU over SHSU would have been a major statement of someone out there who can challenge the Bison. Their loss 'significantly' reduced their standing in that light.

Skyhawk71
September 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Win- Sam Houston State
Loss- Montana

State Line Liquors
September 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Win - Northern Arizona ; with a game coming up at Montana State, they badly needed to hold serve at home for their playoff resume.
Loss - UNH; They needed that Lehigh game because the schedule is about to get even tougher. They'll now probably need to win 7 of their final 8 for playoffs.

also receiving consideration for a loss - App State; they weren't going to be in the playoffs, but that was just a shocking outcome.

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Time for the weekly discussion of the biggest winner and loser on the gridiron (and prayers that once again the voters dont give them both to the same game although there is one that could lead to that conclusion after yesterday...)

I see people saying Charleston Southern was the biggest win but I don't think that was. App is not the same App team. People are assuming App is a top 25 team and they aren't right now. I would say the most significant win was either NAU, Lehigh, NDSU, or SHSU because their wins were against top notch programs. CSU beating App is no shock right now. If App only won 2 games the rest of this year I would not be surprised. If they only lost 3 and finished 6-6 I would not be shocked either.

HensRock
September 30th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Win: UNI
Loss: Montana - only because App State is not eligible (...he says as he ducks his head)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I'm just making my Most Significant Win Lehigh because every damn non-PL person on this board said Lehigh couldn't win. There, I said it.

Most significant loss to me was definitely JMU.

Tribal
September 30th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Most significant loss = Appalachian State
That's going to hurt for a while.

No hope for the playoffs anyway. Lame duck season for them and GSU.

Tribal
September 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'm just making my Most Significant Win Lehigh because every damn non-PL person on this board said Lehigh couldn't win. There, I said it.

I have it on good authority that Lehigh was the only team in the nation who could have beaten UNH on Saturday. You played them when no one else did...of course you COULD beat them.

HensRock
September 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Most significant loss to me was definitely JMU.

LFN, I'll admit I was one of those giving Lehigh no chance in this one. I was wrong. Kudos on the win against UNH.

Unfortunately, I still don't see either of our teams as Top-25 material, so in that sense I don't see either of these wins/losses as "significant" to the overall FCS landscape at least at this time. Maybe one of us will go on a tear and become significant later this season, but I'm not seeing it now. I have us both mid 30-ish.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 09:33 AM
LFN, I'll admit I was one of those giving Lehigh no chance in this one. I was wrong. Kudos on the win against UNH.

Unfortunately, I still don't see either of our teams as Top-25 material, so in that sense I don't see either of these wins/losses as "significant" to the overall FCS landscape at least at this time. Maybe one of us will go on a tear and become significant later this season, but I'm not seeing it now. I have us both mid 30-ish.

I have both Lehigh and Delaware in my Top 25, a spot IMO they have both earned.

Twentysix
September 30th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Del got the bump, they were in a 6 way tie for 25th place. Sorry brah.

superman7515
September 30th, 2013, 11:00 AM
No hope for the playoffs anyway. Lame duck season for them and GSU.

Most significant loss has nothing to do with the playoffs.

catbob
September 30th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Significant W - SHSU. Maybe EWU isn't as great as everyone thought they were after week 1, but SHSU looked unstoppable and beat a top 3 team at home. Big win.
Significant L - Montana. UNH was a close 2nd, but this is significant because A: it's a conference game, and B: Montana hadn't played a legit team yet, and they got beat pretty handily on the road.

It is becoming clear that beating App is not significant. Losing to them might be, though.

heath
September 30th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Significant win= start up Mercer getting big PFL win over Drake and are 4-0.................playoffs?
Significant loss= JMU,looking at their remaining schedule.............playoffs?
Maybe Mickey Matthews was correct- "the toughest thing to do in football is to make the FCS playoffs."

Twentysix
September 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Significant win= start up Mercer getting big PFL win over Drake and are 4-0.................playoffs?
Significant loss= JMU,looking at their remaining schedule.............playoffs?
Maybe Mickey Matthews was correct- "the toughest thing to do in football is to make the FCS playoffs."

A win over drake is only impressive if the team that won is in 9th grade.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Maine deserves some consideration for this award. Very sound ball club.

heath
September 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
A win over drake is only impressive if the team that won is in 9th grade.
Look at their roster, you're kinda right. Just shows that the PFL really doesn't need a spot anytime soon in the playoffs.

SpeedkingATL
September 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Win - SHSU

Loss - Montana

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Personally I think all this thread did was infuriate Supe because now the significant win/significant loss ended up being the same game xlolx

superman7515
September 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Personally I think all this thread did was infuriate Supe because now the significant win/significant loss ended up being the same game xlolx

Nothing on here can make me mad bud. On a list of 100 things to do in a day, this is at best 101. Besides, while we all have our own opinions, at the end of the day, we all play of the same (AGS) team.

ngineer
September 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I have both Lehigh and Delaware in my Top 25, a spot IMO they have both earned.

+1 Yes.

citdog
September 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
[/B][/U]+1 Yes.

NO

srgrizizen
September 30th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Significant W - SHSU. Maybe EWU isn't as great as everyone thought they were after week 1, but SHSU looked unstoppable and beat a top 3 team at home. Big win.
Significant L - Montana. UNH was a close 2nd, but this is significant because A: it's a conference game, and B: Montana hadn't played a legit team yet, and they got beat pretty handily on the road.

It is becoming clear that beating App is not significant. Losing to them might be, though.

Montana's extremely poor performance certainly justifies it's selection as a significant loss, but as far as not having played a legit team yet, it is also true that MSU hasn't beaten a legit team yet.

Tribal
September 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Most significant loss has nothing to do with the playoffs.

It does in my book. We all need 7 wins to qualify...they could be 11-0 or 0-11 and it wouldn't matter.

catbob
October 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Montana's extremely poor performance certainly justifies it's selection as a significant loss, but as far as not having played a legit team yet, it is also true that MSU hasn't beaten a legit team yet.

And this concerns the topic of this thread... how exactly?