PDA

View Full Version : Loved the stadium pictures!

Neckfansince71
September 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
:hurray: After taking two daughters on college visits, and after having traveled the country, I gotta tell you that every college stop has included a look see at the football stadium. Just dig the stands and the pressboxes no matter what level. And to tell you the truth, 1AA football stadiums along with MAC stadiums really have personality! James Madison, Montana, Georgia S, Delware, the list goes on. Missouri State from the air is pretty impressive.

WIU's Hanson Stadium is quaint, picturesque, but out dated. A couple of years ago I had a beer with some Penguin fans tailgating at WIU and they could not get over how neat the surroundings were. Trees, dorms, color, natural bowl, and great fans. I told them, hey you got all of those boxes and they just said, so this looks like a college stadium setting. Fortunately and finally, Hanson Field is going to get a make over, first the east stands beginning at the end of this years season, and in the very near future as part of a capital campaign, the west stands. The west stands, built in 1950 will have to be torn down basically because they are cracked and can not hold the type of press box that has been designed for the future. East stands will be all aluminum and brick and will look remarkedly like GSU's student side. I think the proposal for the west side includes a glass faced press box going the length of the structure very similar to Southern Utah.

I was fortunate enought to be in the stands 33 years ago when WIU set the single attendance mark for a game against Central Michigan at 19890. I took a bottle of peppermint snops with me, a Theta Chi fraternity blanket, and a blue eyes lady who thought I was just a crazy fan. She still thinks that but after 30 years of marrige still goes with me to Neck games.

Younger daughter there right now as sophomore. Got confused last year and was still working on a paper when the ball was kicked to start the first game of the season agains Northern Colorado. Told her she was confused!!! Got the idea this year! Even tailgated!! Guess thats what a sorority will do for you.

jcxidiotx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
:hurray: After taking two daughters on college visits, and after having traveled the country, I gotta tell you that every college stop has included a look see at the football stadium. Just dig the stands and the pressboxes no matter what level. And to tell you the truth, 1AA football stadiums along with MAC stadiums really have personality! James Madison, Montana, Georgia S, Delware, the list goes on. Missouri State from the air is pretty impressive.

WIU's Hanson Stadium is quaint, picturesque, but out dated. A couple of years ago I had a beer with some Penguin fans tailgating at WIU and they could not get over how neat the surroundings were. Trees, dorms, color, natural bowl, and great fans. I told them, hey you got all of those boxes and they just said, so this looks like a college stadium setting. Fortunately and finally, Hanson Field is going to get a make over, first the east stands beginning at the end of this years season, and in the very near future as part of a capital campaign, the west stands. The west stands, built in 1950 will have to be torn down basically because they are cracked and can not hold the type of press box that has been designed for the future. East stands will be all aluminum and brick and will look remarkedly like GSU's student side. I think the proposal for the west side includes a glass faced press box going the length of the structure very similar to Southern Utah.

I was fortunate enought to be in the stands 33 years ago when WIU set the single attendance mark for a game against Central Michigan at 19890. I took a bottle of peppermint snops with me, a Theta Chi fraternity blanket, and a blue eyes lady who thought I was just a crazy fan. She still thinks that but after 30 years of marrige still goes with me to Neck games.

Younger daughter there right now as sophomore. Got confused last year and was still working on a paper when the ball was kicked to start the first game of the season agains Northern Colorado. Told her she was confused!!! Got the idea this year! Even tailgated!! Guess thats what a sorority will do for you.

jcxidiotx

As part of my "thread rescue" program, I'd like to say thanks for the props on the stadium pictures! They're posted by Ralph and taken by the whole staff on I-AA.org.

Also, on my blog at http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com, I have the "I-AA Stadium Finder" on the bottom of the page. Haven't updated the code in some time, but it's a Google map which you can click a team's logo and a "bubble" showing a closeup aerial view of the stadium pops up. It's limited by Google satellite map, so although the view of WIU's stadium is blurry, teams in high-res areas like Chattanooga look really spectacular.