PDA

View Full Version : AA disrespect in Dallas

SOCON#1FAN
September 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
From the Dallas Morning News
September 27, 2006
Enough with the I-AA jokes

Texas fans are filling up my e-mail with all kinds of sarcasm that I will share in my free, e-mail UT newsletter that comes out every Friday morning.

(If you don't have enough spam already, you can sign up for it at our web site - dallasnews.com, click SportsDay ... sorry, didn't mean to sound desperate.)

My favorite quote of the week came from Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten on his conference call yesterday:

"You go into these games wanting to come out healthy because everybody has the goal of doing well in the conference. If you can keep the score manageable and not get decimated, that helps."

No word on if Whitten spoke these words from the fetal position.

Posted by Chip Brown at 3:57 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)
[email protected]

anybody have anything to say to CHIP?:mad:

Ronbo
September 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Who cares, the kids love these games. They all wanted to be I-A in High School and this gives them a game at a big time venue.

September 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
... They all wanted to be I-A in High School...Gawd Ronbo, you are an everloving I-A teater, incessant in your love of I-A with your posts at AGS. Ever think that all kids do not worship I-A? Some kids actually can think for themselves and not be brainwashed by I-A media (read major media). :nono:

blukeys
September 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
September 27, 2006

My favorite quote of the week came from Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten on his conference call yesterday:

"You go into these games wanting to come out healthy because everybody has the goal of doing well in the conference. If you can keep the score manageable and not get decimated, that helps."

[email protected]

If the quote of Whitten is accurate my problem is with Whitten. It sounds as if he is conceding the game before it is played. While a coach should acknowledge the magnitude of the challenge he should never state that we just want to get out of there without injuries. What kind of message does that send to your own team?????

Ronbo
September 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Gawd Ronbo, you are an everloving I-A teater, incessant in your love of I-A with your posts at AGS. Ever think that all kids do not worship I-A? Some kids actually can think for themselves and not be brainwashed by I-A media (read major media). :nono:

You live in dream land if you think a Division I quality player was sitting around waiting for an offer from a I-AA instead of a I-A. They choose I-AA for two reasons. They get no I-A offers or they get a couple but don't like their chances for ever getting much playing time there.

This is little league football and any athlete that is competitive wants to play at the highest level if they have a chance to play there.

I-AA has 6 nice wins this year but don't get too fat headed Ralph. We still might go 6-66 against the big boys. That's nothing to get too fat headed about.

kardplayer
September 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I have no problem with any of these comments. I'll give coach Whitten (if he really said that) credit for playing possum...

The reality is though, this is the #7 team we're talking about. I'd LOVE to see the upset, but I won't be calling TellMe on Saturday from my daughter's soccer game to find out if its happening...

Tod
September 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
You live in dream land if you think a Division I quality player was sitting around waiting for an offer from a I-AA instead of a I-A. They choose I-AA for two reasons. They get no I-A offers or they get a couple but don't like their chances for ever getting much playing time there.

This is little league football and any athlete that is competitive wants to play at the highest level if they have a chance to play there.

I-AA has 6 nice wins this year but don't get too fat headed Ralph. We still might go 6-66 against the big boys. That's nothing to get too fat headed about.

You don't think there are kids in Montana that grow up wanting to be a Grizzly or a Bobcat, and would turn down an offer from Wyoming, Idaho, Boise State, Washington State, etc., to play for the team they were raised loving?

If I were in HS and a top player, I'd play for the Griz before I'd go to any I-A school.

September 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
You don't think there are kids in Montana that grow up wanting to be a Grizzly or a Bobcat, and would turn down an offer from Wyoming, Idaho, Boise State, Washington State, etc., to play for the team they were raised loving?

If I were in HS and a top player, I'd play for the Griz before I'd go to any I-A school.He just doesn't like being called out for being a I-A lover. It seems to him that EVERYONE wants to be I-A. I-AA is LITTLE LEAGUE to him..."This is little league football" xidiotx xidiotx Believe it or not there are plenty of kids who would give anything to play I-AA which you must know IS D-I and full of QUALITY PLAYERS. Don't call me fatheaded either because your I-A crystal ball dreams are crushed. :rolleyes: :nono: Just go watch your I-A highlights and dream baby dream... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :rolleyes:

ASU Kep
September 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I know App has several freshmen this year who turned down offers from the ACC and SEC. Not all are getting PT.

Dallas Demon
September 27th, 2006, 10:47 PM
September 27, 2006
Enough with the I-AA jokes

Texas fans are filling up my e-mail with all kinds of sarcasm that I will share in my free, e-mail UT newsletter that comes out every Friday morning.

(If you don't have enough spam already, you can sign up for it at our web site - dallasnews.com, click SportsDay ... sorry, didn't mean to sound desperate.)

[email protected]

Reality: Sam Houston was down 35-0 at the half and 42-0 in the 3rd to SMU (who just lost to North Texas 24-7 the week before). There's no comparison between SMU and Texas, last year's I-A National Champion. Unfortunately, the coach is accurate in his comments although I wouldn't have taken that approach.

PMB4Life
September 27th, 2006, 11:50 PM
If the quote of Whitten is accurate my problem is with Whitten.

My thoughts EXACTLY. If Whitten is saying things like this going into a game, I'm glad he's not coaching my team. I don't care if the Buena Vista University Beavers are playing the Chicago Bears: you always give your best effort and if you ever don't believe that you're going to win... you won't.

Sounds corny, but it's true. But doesn't SHSU play two I-A games every year anyway? What's the point?

EKU05
September 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
"This is little league football"

Ronbo, I was about to stick up for what you had said in this thread until I read that. That's just simply ignorant.

I do think that schools like Montana and Delaware in states with no I-A teams are exceptions to the rule. Here in the Bluegrass State I don't know of any significant recruits to turn down scholarships from U of L or even crappy UK to come to Eastern, Western, Murray, or Morehead. Some do eventually leave after chasing visions of grandeur.

I guess I have to take the middle of the road here. I-AA is BIG TIME exciting college football where the level of play is indeed impressive and VASTLY underrated. I also believe that there are a reasonable number of players chosing I-AA over Sun Belt and MAC schools and the like. However, I also believe that for most I-AA players that I-AA was not their original goal....and in addition to that I believe that many of them are glad they found their way to the great programs of I-AA after they do.

putter
September 28th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Ronbo, you know better than that. How about our own Ryan Bagley, Tyler Joyce, Cody Balough and others. They all had I-A scholarship offers and came to Montana. You can make the pros from a I-AA program and that is what some kids look at also and, oh yea, there is academics also.

beerkat
September 28th, 2006, 12:09 AM
the SHSU faithful are beyond tired of Whitten and his defeatist attitude

Cocky
September 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I'm sure no players are going to the Ivies for the education? Let's see I can go to Troy, Middle Tenn, Buffalo, Miss State, or Yale. I'll take the Yale education anyday.

Apps32
September 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm sure no players are going to the Ivies for the education? Let's see I can go to Troy, Middle Tenn, Buffalo, Miss State, or Yale. I'll take the Yale education anyday.

Those are poor comparisons, though. You can't compare Yale to TSU, MTSU, etc. If you are going to use the 'Ivies' you have to compare them to Duke, Vandy, Stanford, UVa, Fla, and the other well-known, highy esteemed I-A schools.

chrisattsu
September 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM
AA gets very little respect in the state of Texas to begin with.

The entire state is brainwashed from the start to pick sides between UTexas and A&M. You do have the people from West Texas and those disenfranchised with the "two party system" looking at Texas Tech, but the fact remains that these schools continue to play top fiddle. They get the coverage in all of the newspapers, everyone knows about these schools coming out of highschool. If it wasn't for friends or family previously attending one of these "other schools", most people have no idea what schools there are outside of their region.

Even schools like TCU who have made strong showings in the past few years rarely get the respect out of the Texas media outlets (especially outside of the DFW metroplex).

As for Whitten, I have gotten the impression this is the type of comment that he is always making.

Cocky
September 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Those are poor comparisons, though. You can't compare Yale to TSU, MTSU, etc. If you are going to use the 'Ivies' you have to compare them to Duke, Vandy, Stanford, UVa, Fla, and the other well-known, highy esteemed I-A schools.

We are talking athletics. The others in your group maybe valid comparisons but I still go to Yale over any of the ones listed.

Side note: How did FLA get in the list? I've never heard of it as a academic mecca.

JALMOND
September 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Sorry, I don't buy this. Here in the Portland area (where it seems I-AA gets about as much press as in Texas), I find it fascinating during the recruiting season when the paper will list the schools that each HS athlete is considering. Their final four selections are usually a big name (Pac-10) school, either the Ducks or Beavers (never both), Portland State and Montana. These are not bottom of the barrel, either. They are blue-chip recruits from the metro area, most of whom have a good shot (never an exact science, tho) to eventually play wherever they go.

September 28th, 2006, 12:26 PM
The gap between the top of D-2 (take North Dakota for example) & any of 1-AA is much smaller than the top of 1-AA versus that of 1-A...So what? That is not what this thread is about. It is about a journalist that made a I-AA coach the butt of his joke, implying he was so scared he was in the "fetal position." The only people that would laugh at that are the I-A lovers and I-AA slammers.

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM
So what? That is not what this thread is about. It is about a journalist that made a I-AA coach the butt of his joke, implying he was so scared he was in the "fetal position." The only people that would laugh at that are the I-A lovers and I-AA slammers.

"not get decimated", that is the quote that the coach said, which spawned the fetal position remark. I don't see anything wrong with it.

As for 1-A lovers & 1-AA slammers? Please. Real college football fans love the game at all levels, I have just as much fun at a big-time 1-A game as I do a UD game, and I'd imagine I'm in the majority on that topic.

September 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
"not get decimated", that is the quote that the coach said, which spawned the fetal position remark. I don't see anything wrong with it...Glad you have no problem with a I-AA coach being the butt of a joke. I have a problem with it and thought the remark was out of line.

September 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
uh guys, there are other threads for your discussion... staying on topic is a generally accepted rule for messageboard communities.

bluehenbillk
September 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
uh guys, there are other threads for your discussion... staying on topic is a generally accepted rule for messageboard communities.

To sum up the essence of my argument goes to the core issue of this website - namely the name you've chosen. When you go up against a top 10 1-A team (i.e. Texas vs SHSU) it isn't Any Given Saturday. It's never happened.

September 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
So what? That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

bluehenbillk
September 29th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Hey Retro, do you notice a few posts missing too on this thread? This board is getting out of control with its censorship. Strike 2.

September 29th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Retro, do you notice a few posts missing...The posts aren't missing bilk, they were made into a new thread... perceptive folks notice this stuff. :rolleyes:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14241

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM

If I were in HS and a top player, I'd play for the Griz before I'd go to any I-A school.

I know many kids who played for UNI who had their sights on UNI most of their lives. Many turned down offers from UI and ISU. Me, I didn't know teh difference when I was getting recruited. And didn't care. I went to Northern Illinois first and transferred to UNI because I knew it would be more fun. I was right.

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
"not get decimated", that is the quote that the coach said, which spawned the fetal position remark. I don't see anything wrong with it.

As for 1-A lovers & 1-AA slammers? Please. Real college football fans love the game at all levels, I have just as much fun at a big-time 1-A game as I do a UD game, and I'd imagine I'm in the majority on that topic.

You are. I'm the same way. I will go to UNI v Missouri State as easily as I will go to Wisconsin v Purdue. I love all levels. Went to UW-Platteville v Augustana (IL) last weekend and was very impressed.

Grizlaw
October 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Side note: How did FLA get in the list? I've never heard of it as a academic mecca.

UF does have a lot of good graduate programs, but overall, I agree that it is probably a step below the other schools on the list academically (though still a good school). I would have put UC-Berkeley and Michigan on the list instead...

GRZZ
October 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Is anyone else not seeing Ralph's name or avatar but still seeing his posts?

This is what I get, I am not trying to be difficult I am seriously asking if there is something wrong with my computer?