PDA

View Full Version : Just what's the deal with App. State quarterbacks?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2013, 08:08 PM
DeAndre Presley gets SoCon offensive player of the year for 2010, and then in the middle of 2011 he is benched and Jamal Jackson becomes the starter. He finishes 2011 and plays through 2012 and is a preseason All-American for 2013. Now JJ is benched for Bryant. Do App. State's receivers make the QBs look better than they really are? App. is the only team where this seems to happen with QBs.

Apphole
September 28th, 2013, 08:41 PM
DeAndre Presley gets SoCon offensive player of the year for 2010, and then in the middle of 2011 he is benched and Jamal Jackson becomes the starter. He finishes 2011 and plays through 2012 and is a preseason All-American for 2013. Now JJ is benched for Bryant. Do App. State's receivers make the QBs look better than they really are? App. is the only team where this seems to happen with QBs.

Jamal hasn't been benched, he's been sharing snaps in a duel QB set where each predictably alternates every 3 possessions. It's nauseating and stupid.

SpeedkingATL
September 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Jamal hasn't been benched, he's been sharing snaps in a duel QB set where each predictably alternates every 3 possessions. It's nauseating and stupid.

+1

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2013, 08:53 PM

My mistake, but still, it seems pretty peculiar to be doing this with a QB that is supposed to be an AA. GSU has been doing funky stuff with Jerick McKinnon and our backup QB Kevin Ellison, but at least we have the excuse that our fullbacks are really banged up.

SpeedkingATL
September 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
My mistake, but still, it seems pretty peculiar. GSU has been doing funky stuff with Jerick McKinnon and our backup QB Kevin Ellison, but at least we have the excuse that our fullbacks are really banged up.

Your QB's take a beating too so some rotation makes sense. App's QB's are just kept from getting any momentum or rhythum. Take a QB that just led a long TD drive and put the other guy in. Makes no sense. Don't even get me started on all the one back sets with little motion or misdirection.

Apphole
September 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM
My mistake, but still, it seems pretty peculiar to be doing this with a QB that is supposed to be an AA. GSU has been doing funky stuff with Jerick McKinnon and our backup QB Kevin Ellison, but at least we have the excuse that our fullbacks are really banged up.

JLJ isn't the same player he was before his surgery in the offseason. Kam has played better IMO. I think it's just a political gesture to give the senior snaps in a season that "doesn't really matter."

A lot of what we're doing doesn't sit well with me.

Skjellyfetti
September 28th, 2013, 09:41 PM
There are other factors.... But, i think it boils down to the fact that we haven't had a true dual threat QB since Armanti graduated. Satterfield needs one to run his offense effectively.

Presley was a great runner... and a capable passer... But but, not a good enough threat throwing the ball to keep good teams honest. (See: Georgia Southern 2010)

Jackson is a great passer but he is not enough of a threat to run the ball. He was the QB we needed when DeAndre was benched because it allowed us to stretch the field... What our offense was really lacking.

Now... A problem... But, certainly not the only problem (oline play is our biggest issue on offense without a doubt)... Is JJ's lack of a running threat. He had off-season knee surgery and it's made his immobility worse - i don't think he's 100 percent yet.

Kam Bryant has the potential to be a dual threat QB. He provides much more of a running threat when he is in that the defense has to respect. I'd say JJ is a more accurate passer, but Bryant has shown (in limited action so far) that he can throw it accurately down field.

So, i don't think it's benching JJ as much as mixing it up. Giving our QB of the future more reps may have something to do with it, but that's just speculation on my part.

Just my (slightly inebriated) thoughts/rambling

mountaineer in Cane Land
September 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
another thing is teams no longer respect Jackson running the ball, I watched CS basically blitz on almost every 3rd and long, not worrying about losing containment because they knew Jackson would not run. Its really tough on the kid, he just cant, or wont run when he has an opportunity