PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic 10 Ladder Rankings

UNHWildCats
September 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I saw this interesting formula someone uses to calculate his I-A rankings and I wanted to give it a shot in I-AA however having to calculate all game results its too much work to go back on the first 4 weeks of the whole I-AA. So for now I went through and did the A-10 and will update it each week as once u have it going its easier to update it and with conference schedule startying full speed now its easier to track.

Basically each team starts the season with the same rating (1000) and I-A was assigned a 1100 starting base, teams lower then Div I are always calculated as a 0 so the only way to gain points off the win is a 15 point bonus for winning by more then 21.

Theres also a rating differential calculation so a 1000 team that beats a 1250 team would receive more points then a 1000 team beating a 1050 team, thus taking into account strength of opponent up to that point of the season.

Atlantic 10 North
New Hampshire......1290
Massachusetts......1193
Maine..................1024
Hofstra.................908
Rhode Island..........824
Northeastern..........823

Atlantic 10 South
Towson.................1364
Richmond...............1303
Delaware...............1014
James Madison.......1010
William & Mary.........934
Villanova................851

GannonFan
September 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Well, I guess that's one way to do it. But there are some holes, at least with how I read the scoring. Why should UD, for instance, get more points for beating URI when they are more highly ranked early in the year than a team does who beats URI later in the year when they have a lower score? Just because URI hadn't proven to be as bad as they are yet shouldn't give a team a better score just because they played them early. And you know my feeling on DII teams - they're not all created equal and treating them as such is another source for error (actually, same thing with some DI-AA schools as well).