PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Stadium to get facelift

MarkCCU
September 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
That's right, after 15 years of crap and a crappy team CSU will be getting some much needed work done to its stadium. How do I know? I just spoke with a member(a fellow professional) of the CSU Board of Vistors, who said that it's in the plans. Stemming from last seasons success, the BOV is excited and wants to make the stadium more appealing to the eye and touch as the team is picking up steam and seem to be going anywhere but back down. :hurray: :hurray: The BOV will discuss more at thier next meeting, i'll try to keep you updated

Coastal89
September 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM
So they might actually install indoor plumbing and get rid of the porta pottys?

LBPop
September 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Aw, c'mon guys. Is it really that bad? ;)

I'm coming down later this season. I guess I better stop at a gas station before I go in... :D

MarkCCU
September 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Yeah, that's a major drawback. Women won't go b/c they just don't do portapottys

dbackjon
September 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Seriously, portapotties??

Mr. C
September 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Charleston Southern basically looks like a mediocre high school stadium (no smack here, just telling the truth). Considering the other upgrades that have been made to the program, refurbishing the stadium seems to be an obvious one.

Thumper250
September 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM
CSU does have, indeed, the most atrocious facilities in the smallish Big South Conference.

As for overall football facility, I'd rank the league as such:

1. Liberty (after this new center completion, they should flourish)
2. G-W (that football center is as nice as it gets, the stadium isn't super)
3. Coastal (great stadium, zero facilities)
4. VMI (new place is nice from what I've heard)
5. CSU

asu70
September 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
GWU has very nice facilities and their fans are super.

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
You can't spell "SUCKS" without C-S-U!!!

The Gadfly
September 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Port-o-potties?!?! WHERE? I've been using the bathroom in the woods for nothing?! Do they have enough $$$ for toilet paper?

Coastal89
September 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
CSU does have, indeed, the most atrocious facilities in the smallish Big South Conference.

As for overall football facility, I'd rank the league as such:

1. Liberty (after this new center completion, they should flourish)
2. G-W (that football center is as nice as it gets, the stadium isn't super)
3. Coastal (great stadium, zero facilities)
4. VMI (new place is nice from what I've heard)
5. CSU
They built new facilities on the visitors side when they added the seating last summer. You might be impressed when you come next year.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM
This has been spoken of for a while. Word is that they are going to wait until the other construction is completed that is going on campus. The last academic building is scheduled to be completed in December. We now have a new Science building, remolded and refurbished two classroom building, Cafeteria, and Library as well as many other projects going on around campus.

The commitment to football is at CSU now. A new commitment began with the decission to enter the Big South as a football member. We are now in our 3rd season as being a fully funded program. The powers that be also realize that increased scholarships are not enough, you need good facilities to get good athletes to use those scholarships. They also realize that good facilities can increase attendance and build pride in the program.

One large item we need is lights. It’s horrible sitting in Charleston 100 degree heat in late Aug/early sept. Lights would help attendance for those early season games tremendously.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 06:51 PM
http://myspace-865.vo.llnwd.net/01216/56/86/1216956865_l.jpg

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
http://myspace-253.vo.llnwd.net/01216/35/23/1216963253_l.jpg

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Also a nice shot for all of you Coastal guys
http://myspace-746.vo.llnwd.net/01217/64/74/1217064746_l.jpg

The Cats
September 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You can't spell "SUCKS" without C-S-U!!!

WRONG, that honor goes to ASU (SUCKS).

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
There's no "A" in the word sucks.

And CSU are the greatest Co-Champs in the rich history of Big South football!!!

Coastal89
September 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Also a nice shot for all of you Coastal guys
http://myspace-746.vo.llnwd.net/01217/64/74/1217064746_l.jpg

What? No pictures of the 2 previous games when you got stomped by a little old start up program?xlolx

Nov 22, 2003 Site: Charleston, S.C.
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Coastal Carolina.... 14 21 13 0 - 48:)
Charleston Southern. 0 0 0 14 - 14

Nov 20, 2004
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Charleston Southern. 7 0 14 7 - 28
Coastal Carolina.... 0 14 14 28 - 56:)

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 08:00 PM
We where pretty much a non scholly program, 13 or so. But now that we are fully funded there is a new sheriff in town.:D :D
In all seriousness though.
Charleston Southern has pretty much been a start-up program since the hiring of AD Hank Small in 2002. Then Head Coach Jay Mills came in in 2003 and cleaned house dismissing around 35 players and going 1-11 but laying a base for a future.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
There's no "A" in the word sucks.

And CSU are the greatest Co-Champs in the rich history of Big South football!!!
You can say "CO" all you want,

but we all know:nod:

How a game can be dubed a Championship game all week leading to the game but once CSU wins it's called a CO-Championship.......come on now.

And I don't know about ya'll but I saw Kyle Kallander present the Big South Championship Trophy to Coach Jay Mills and the Charleston Southern players. I didn't see the two teams meet at mid-field hug and share the trophy like a Soccer match.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM
http://photos-042.ak.facebook.com/ip001/v10/44/36/136100465/n136100465_30014042_827.jpg

Coastal89
September 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=25301&SPID=1985&DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=214219

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM
How a game can be dubed a Championship game all week leading to the game but once CSU wins it's called a CO-Championship.......come on now.

I didn't say in the end it wasn't dubed CO-Champions.

Again where's Coach Bennet??
http://www.bigsouthsports.com//pics14/640/LN/LNUWTJPUJDKBUYT.20051120010928.jpg

In reality we are Co-Champions but we did win the head to head and I think “CO” has no place in football. Have tie-breakers, it’s ok to hurt someone’s feelings. Without a tie-breaker you could have a three-way tie in a 5 team league, that’s ridicules.

Cincy App
September 26th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Charleston Southern basically looks like a mediocre high school stadium (no smack here, just telling the truth).

My wife and I vacationed in Charleston for a couple days last fall. We drove past the CSU campus and stadium and she innocently asked what high school was that. I'm glad CSU is upgrading their stadium.

Also, kudos to Gardner Webb for great hospitality last weekend. Your "traffic report" at the end of the night was a hoot!

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Its funny that no matter how much trash CSU is trying to talk, people still poke fun at your stadium.
CSU is 3-0 right now. We should give them props on that. But when you play Trident Tech, Miller Motte Business College, and Columbia College in successive weeks, you should be 3-0. Hey, it does get a little tougher next week when you line up against Div. III North Greenville. Try and keep the score down like you've been keeping it down all year so far. Are you trying to make the little schools feel better by keeping them close?

And spell our coach's name right!!! You must have gone to CSU too...Its Coach Bennett!!!

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Geez, you guys misspelled "Dubbed" too!!! You're saying a lot for your school. Its a good thing they took away scholarships, you must have had to apply for a loan after that.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 09:29 PM
And spell our coach's name right!!! You must have gone to CSU too...Its Coach Bennett!!!
What's his name again?

I'm glad to see you won the fifth grade spelling bee championship.

Or was you the "CO" Spelling Bee Champion?

CoastalFan2005
September 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Well, besides the fact that this thread has already started the swing to smack, I'll throw in my non-smack opinions about it:

Seriously, CSU's stadium is not good as it is now. It's simply a terrible place to watch a football game. There are a couple high school stadiums in Horry County alone that I bet CSU would love to have. Granted, CSU probably doesn't get gobs of visitors all the time, but when we went down there last year...our band was stuffed into those stands like Mae West into a Youth t-shirt.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that they're finally getting some things done down there. I used to date a girl that went to CSU (she then transferred here, but we were not together anymore by then), and I usually got a first-hand look at all the construction (especially the science building) when I would visit. Glad that CSU is making strides to better their campus...now how much will their students' tuition be raised to help supplement further growth?

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
What's his name again?

I'm glad to see you won the fifth grade spelling bee championship.

Or was you the "CO" Spelling Bee Champion?

Ah, a CSU English major too!!!:hurray:

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Where is a picture of the stadium now?

I haven't been there in I guess 4 years now. I swear, the first time I went to a game at CSU, I drove around for 30 minutes until I realized that that area in the front WAS the stadium. I thought for sure it was an intramural field or a rudementary soccer stadium. Other schools want to dump on the stadiums at Coastal, Elon, G-W, Samford, Wofford .... but CSU's takes the cake.

The sooner you upgrade that, the better.

CSU BUCS
September 27th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Glad that CSU is making strides to better their campus...now how much will their students' tuition be raised to help supplement further growth?

The university is developing excess property it owns on the backside of campus. They are building a medical and commerce park, leasing the land out. Construction has just begun on a hotel being built on campus at the intersection of I-26 and HWY 78.
http://www.csuniv.edu/news.asp?ItemID=105&rcid=34&pcid=5&cid=34

IaaScribe
September 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Presbyterian
El Cid
Wingate
North Greenville
Edward Waters
Savannah State
VMI
Georgetown
CSU will be 8-0 and will get no respect and deserve no respect. Try playing someone. Anyone. I'll say it now. CSU goes 11-0 and gets no sniff whatsoever at the playoffs. They won't even be in the conversation.

thesportscritic
September 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM
their basketball place is a high school gym on campus

thesportscritic
September 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
facility wise they have a long way to go. that school is more like a division 3 school.:nod:

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I am not going to knock Charleston Southern terribly bad though.

At least they field a football team with scholarships. How many bigger schools (UNCC, Winthrop, Kennesaw St, CofC, UNCG, UNCW, George Mason, Georgia State and so on) whine about not being able to "afford" football while schools like Charleston Southern show it CAN be done.

I say kudos for schools like Charleston Southern, because they'll always have that step up on the whiners that stay non-scholarship or don't field a team at all.

WinthropEagleFan
September 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I am not going to knock Charleston Southern terribly bad though.

At least they field a football team with scholarships. How many bigger schools (UNCC, Winthrop, Kennesaw St, CofC, UNCG, UNCW, George Mason, Georgia State and so on) whine about not being able to "afford" football while schools like Charleston Southern show it CAN be done.

I say kudos for schools like Charleston Southern, because they'll always have that step up on the whiners that stay non-scholarship or don't field a team at all.

They also had to dump men's soccer to be able to 'afford' it. Any school can afford to do it, but when you have to start dumping existing sports to get it done (for Title IX reasons), then you'll definitely see why some schools don't want to do it. For Winthrop specifically, the cost of adding a football team would have to come at either the expense to a couple of men's sports or adding about 3 women's sports (WU's female/male ratio is 70/30, higher than any existing Division I school that fields a football team)...If it was as simple as just adding the one sport, I think you would see alot more schools adding football, but the Title IX issues make it alot more complicated.

As for CSU, since I moved to the Charleston area a few years ago and am a fan of a Big South program, I've adopted the CSU football team as my personal favorite I-AA program. Adding the extra scholarships has made a huge difference already, and now if they end up enhancing the facilities and upgrading the schedule, they will definitely be moving in the right direction.

MarkCCU
September 28th, 2006, 11:36 AM
WOW!
First, CSU BUCS we all know it's dumb to be CoChamps but that's what we are. Secondly, y'all are 1-2 agaisnt us with a team that is becmoing more nad more powerful. Third, I am shocked the stadium hasn't fallen down. Every game I've been to, the visiting team has to overflow to the home side, When CCU and CSU played last year it seemed there were more CCU fans than CSU. I'mglad y'alls facilities is being upgraded, hopefully we won't have to use the woods and trees' to take a piss in.

Jaques
September 28th, 2006, 10:20 PM
As for CSU, since I moved to the Charleston area a few years ago and am a fan of a Big South program, I've adopted the CSU football team as my personal favorite I-AA program. Adding the extra scholarships has made a huge difference already, and now if they end up enhancing the facilities and upgrading the schedule, they will definitely be moving in the right direction.

Say it ain't so, Eagle, say it ain't so....:bawling:

Coastal-Effect
September 30th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Presbyterian
El Cid
Wingate
North Greenville
Edward Waters
Savannah State
VMI
Georgetown
CSU will be 8-0 and will get no respect and deserve no respect. Try playing someone. Anyone. I'll say it now. CSU goes 10-1 and gets no sniff whatsoever at the playoffs. They won't even be in the conversation.

Amen Brother! WEAK WEAK WEAK.