PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State @ Southern Illinois

penguinpower
September 24th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I think this game deserves a thread becuase I do not have a good feel for the Penguins. I think SIU is a vastly improved team. The way that they played Illinois really tells me that they are capable of winning a lot of games this year and since they are at home well......This is either going to be a shootout or a blowout. If YSU defense is not able to stop the forward pass it could be a long day for the Penguins.

YSU has not played a game with all of the starters on defense yet and this may be the game. I jsut cannot get a good feel for how this one will play out, but I expect it to be a good game.

Houndawg
September 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM
SIU hasn't been able to stop the pass either this year and we don't have the dominant d line we had last year so I think we'll be blitzing more. The game appears custom made to be a shootout with the first team to 45 winning, but I've seen a lot of games that looked that way turn out to be defensive struggles. The 2OT loss to EIU really put our back to the wall because we have to go 6-2 from here on out to make the playoffs and After #20YSU we have @#8 SDSU, @#4 UNI, and #1 NDSU. That means we have to win two of those four and run the table after our break to be on the bubble. So both teams have their backs to the wall but YSU has slightly more margin for error. Neither team gets a break from the unbalanced schedule: YSU "avoids" MSU and SIU "avoids" USD, bfd. I think that the winner will be the fourth team in from the MVC.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I think that the winner will be the fourth team in from the MVC.

Profound statement considering how erly it is in the season and also agree 100%

Houndawg
September 24th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Profound statement considering how erly it is in the season and also agree 100%

Of course, an injury or two could change everything, but I think that YSU and SIU are the best of the mid-pack this year so far and the winner will have a strong SOS argument if they get on the bubble. Big keys for SIU: how much time Hess has to throw and can we run the ball now that we've found an RB up to our traditional standard. Last year we had a stud d line that had Hess running for his life all game and we don't have that yet this year. Against EIU we elected to stay in our base and drop eight into coverage but I think we'll play YSU different. As for our run, the o line is beginning to jell and we have recovered from early injuries but SEMO and Charleston aren't YSU. I going to buck the conventional wisdom and call a relatively low scoring game: SIU 26, YSU 21.

penguinpower
September 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Of course, an injury or two could change everything, but I think that YSU and SIU are the best of the mid-pack this year so far and the winner will have a strong SOS argument if they get on the bubble. Big keys for SIU: how much time Hess has to throw and can we run the ball now that we've found an RB up to our traditional standard. Last year we had a stud d line that had Hess running for his life all game and we don't have that yet this year. Against EIU we elected to stay in our base and drop eight into coverage but I think we'll play YSU different. As for our run, the o line is beginning to jell and we have recovered from early injuries but SEMO and Charleston aren't YSU. I going to buck the conventional wisdom and call a relatively low scoring game: SIU 26, YSU 21.

YSU's OL was not able to move the DL of MSU out of the way. YSU does not have a dedicated RB as they usually do, it's currently running back by committee. The DL was terrible against MSU and Dayton. They could not get pressure unless there was a blitz called. Very scary considering we are goinginto conference play. Does YSU have the athletes?........... well as I hear it, they do, but the OL is also young and the DL is not deep. The LB's are a strength. I do not think that there is any single standout on offense yet.

Houndawg
September 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM
YSU's OL was not able to move the DL of MSU out of the way. YSU does not have a dedicated RB as they usually do, it's currently running back by committee. The DL was terrible against MSU and Dayton. They could not get pressure unless there was a blitz called. Very scary considering we are goinginto conference play. Does YSU have the athletes?........... well as I hear it, they do, but the OL is also young and the DL is not deep. The LB's are a strength. I do not think that there is any single standout on offense yet.

The two teams have a lot of similarities - LBs are a strength for us too, two fifth year QBs, young o lines, d lines not deep, no real standouts on offense, although Agnew has potential to be if his hamstring holds up. Should be interesting, glad we're at home..

Paladin1aa
September 24th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Expecting a close game. I'm picking YSU in an O shoot out. Neither will really stop the other team. By 3 or less.

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I think SIU will win in a close game.

ValleyTalk
September 25th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Coach Wolford and staff know this is a must win if they want to get the community fired up again about YSU Football. 31-28 YSU

skinny_uncle
September 26th, 2013, 09:13 PM
SIU sees this as a must-win if they entertain any playoff hopes.

BisonBohl
September 26th, 2013, 10:55 PM
SIU wins this one by 10.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I think SIU is solidly the better team.

But I would have no problem reevaluating my opinion of YSU after the game.

underdawg
September 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
The first annual "Must Win Bowl"

skinny_uncle
September 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM
The first annual "Must Win Bowl"

Available locally on Mediacom.

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM
watching game on ESPN3

tied at 14 in the 2nd

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:07 PM
This has been an awesome game at the end. Kudos for YSU for gutting it out.

28-27 YSU leads. I tuned in at 14-27 SIU leading.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Fumble SIU, good job YSU. YSU can victory formation this game into oblivion.

ValleyTalk
September 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP drive in the fourth to take the lead. Team looked down for out at half, but the defense finally awoke and gave Faulkner fits the entire second half.

HUGE WIN FOR YSU. Should be favored the next five games folks.

Go YSU!

Tribe93
September 28th, 2013, 09:21 PM
SUI had them.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP drive in the fourth to take the lead. Team looked down for out at half, but the defense finally awoke and gave Faulkner fits the entire second half.

Go YSU!

No way YSU is favored against UNI. The rest they will be.. the bottom 4 of the conference.

sgt smash
September 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM

Go YSU!

have you checked your schedule?

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM
YSU plays @ Indiana State next week who is currently losing to a 2-2 tennessee tech team. SIU plays South Dakota State

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
YSU plays @ Indiana State next week who is currently losing to a 2-2 tennessee tech team. SIU plays South Dakota State

the SIU game will be interesting, the YSU game won't.

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM
have you checked your schedule?

yeah his math was off. they will be favored the next 4. they wont be favored vs northern iowa

sgt smash
September 28th, 2013, 09:28 PM
yeah his math was off. they will be favored the next 4. they wont be favored vs northern iowa

got it. Wasn't sure if it was tongue in cheek.

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 09:29 PM
i wonder where YSU will be ranked in the next sports network poll.......

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:29 PM
got it. Wasn't sure if it was tongue in cheek.

I thought maybe he didn't see the UNI game.

I was gonna post:
"UNI just curbstomped #9 42-6."

Then I realized I didn't care.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
i wonder where YSU will be ranked in the next sports network poll.......

If I were a coach I would put them around 13, and SIU around 15.

But I certainly wouldn't vote that way in my AGS poll, only if I were a Coach :p.

ValleyTalk
September 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
My bad... next 4. Regardless, huge win.

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM
would be nice to be 8-1 going into the last 3 tough tough games. probably would have to win one of those 3 to finish 9-3 to get into the playoffs im guessing

penguinpower
September 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I can't believe YSU shut them out in the 2nd half. They allowed on 65 yards passing in the second half.

YSU. Still needs to fire the DC, I can't stand to watch them give up so many points.

Also YSU has a #1 tailback finally. That was determined in the 2nd half. True freshman Martin ruiz out of Tampa?. He's going to be a good one. No more) by committee

penguinpower
September 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
They also overcame adversity, a first for Wolford as a coach

DoubleE
September 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
this is wolfords 2nd D coordinator in 4 years. maybe it isnt the scheme

Houndawg
September 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM

There is a gap between NDSU,SDSU,UNI and YSU, SIU. There is another gap between YSU/SIU and the rest of the MVC. I don't see either YSU or SIU taking out any of the big 3 in the MVC.

Twentysix
September 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM
There is a gap between NDSU,SDSU,UNI and YSU, SIU. There is another gap between YSU/SIU and the rest of the MVC. I don't see either YSU or SIU taking out any of the big 3 in the MVC.

They might get SDSU.

Houndawg
September 28th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I can't believe YSU shut them out in the 2nd half. They allowed on 65 yards passing in the second half.

YSU. Still needs to fire the DC, I can't stand to watch them give up so many points.

Also YSU has a #1 tailback finally. That was determined in the 2nd half. True freshman Martin ruiz out of Tampa?. He's going to be a good one. No more) by committee

Actually, getting out adjusted at halftime has been a signature of the Lennon era. Last year there were only two games in which SIU scored more than one offensive TD in the 2nd half, but nobody noticed because we had a defense/special teams that scored ten TDs and forced 22 turnovers.

ValleyTalk
September 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM
One thing that fans of all teams need reminded of is not to get too high after a win and not get too down after a loss. With that being said, you have to give credit where credit is due. Our radio guys were ripping our coaching staff and our defensive scheme to shreds heading into half and were praying the staff would make adjustments. To the credit of the coaching staff, they did. They didn't bring any pressure in the 1st half, but changed their scheme a bit with the 4 DL and they got a lot more pressure on Faulkner who was simply not the same QB. In my eyes, Lennon went a bit too conservative early in the 2nd half, which gave YSU all the confidence they needed to win.

Next up is Indiana State, who lost in heartbreaking fashion to Tennessee Tech 38-37. The Sycamores are a program that relies heavily on the rushing attack, arguably more than any other team in the MVFC. Fortunately, YSU has done very well at stopping the run this year, and going back into last year. YSU has won 7 straight FCS games dating back to last year, including a 27-6 win over ISU in Youngstown last November in which YSU held ISU to just 61 yards rushing...

We've had big wins in the past under Wolford, only to have ugly losses the following week. It will be on Wolford and the staff to get this team fired up next week in Terre Haute to beat ISU. A win next week would be huge when it comes to getting YOUNGSTOWN excited about YSU football again.

GO YSU!

tourguide
September 29th, 2013, 03:06 AM

He looks good. I was bummed when he chose YSU over NDSU. But he would not have started at ndsu for a couple years. He will be good RB for many years

catamount man
September 29th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Good game. Thank goodness for ESPN Gameplan.

wmmii
September 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
YSU has a favorable schedule with last two home games NDSU and SDSU. Think they can beat SDSU and go 9-3 for third in MVC. they played both teams tough away last year, beat Pitt last year and the program is on the path up!