PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian vs. Elon

KiddBrewer
September 25th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Any thoughts on the game? or does anyone want to contest my prediction of a record crowd?

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
always count on App State and GSU to predict record crowds and then have them not show. :smiley_wi

I think we finally get to see if Armanti Edwards can play qb as a freshman. Elon is hurdle one for him.

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Home game #1: 5th largest crowd ever
Home game #2 (against a D-II): 3rd largest ever
Home game #3 (SOCON team, HOMECOMING): if the weather is nice, a new home-crowd record will be set at KBS...it will stand for less than a month. :nod:

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Don't wanna sound too much like the MMB, but we NEED to make that baby bigger, soon. Some people don't like to sit in the grass.

SoCon48
September 26th, 2006, 09:53 PM
always count on App State and GSU to predict record crowds and then have them not show. :smiley_wi

I think we finally get to see if Armanti Edwards can play qb as a freshman. Elon is hurdle one for him.

Not show?? Where have you been? ASU has set new records four or five times in the past two seasons.:eyebrow:

But you're right about Edwards having to prove himself on Staurday.

ASU Kep
September 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM
btw, I heard on WASU this morning that the weather report for Sat is lookin' decent. Should be semi-cloudy skies and a bit chilly, but no rain.

WUTNDITWAA
September 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Go easy on our Paladan friend here. He has bragging rights. Paladan Stadium has outdrown KBS. I see 28,000 once showed up for a New Kids on the Block concert.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hang tough Paladanfan.:p

http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/facilities/football.html

ASU Kep
September 26th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Go easy on our Paladan friend here. He has bragging rights. Paladan Stadium has outdrown KBS. I see 28,000 once showed up for a New Kids on the Block concert.
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hang tough Paladanfan.:p

http://furmanpaladins.cstv.com/facilities/football.html

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 12:58 AM
we might get 28,000 too saturday

for a football game...the stadiums purpose...not a concert. although im sure new kids on the block was pretty sweet too....

JMU2004
September 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM
ya'll predicted 30k+ for JMU, how many actually showed?

Kiss My Apps
September 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM
The 30,000 predictions were a little crazy but the 23,814 that did show up for JMU isn't bad...

We're currently leading I-AA in attendance:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 10:49 AM
we predicted 20,000 for the Mars Hill game and had 23,000+, so who knows could go either way. oh well, either way its still gonna be the most in the country:hurray:

WUTNDITWAA
September 27th, 2006, 10:59 AM

10,000 more than can fit into Bridgeforth.

Maybe JMU could host a NKOTB reunion tour.

JMU2004
September 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
10,000 more than can fit into Bridgeforth.

Maybe JMU could host a NKOTB reunion tour.

Interesting.....Bridgeforth has a capacity of 16,000+ for this year. Unlike ASU, we have to turn people away due to fire codes.

I guess you were going by the 13,559 PERM seats listed on the JMU web site. We have put End Zone seating up every year. This year, another 1000 seats were added to last year's bleachers. Max last year was 15,500 or so. This year, we should be able to fit 16,000+ for our remaing home games

AppGuy04
September 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Interesting.....Bridgeforth has a capacity of 16,000+ for this year. Unlike ASU, we have to turn people away due to fire codes.

I guess you were going by the 13,559 PERM seats listed on the JMU web site. We have put End Zone seating up every year. This year, another 1000 seats were added to last year's bleachers. Max last year was 15,500 or so. This year, we should be able to fit 16,000+ for our remaing home games

According to the NCAA, your capacity is 14,000:http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Death Dealer
September 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
We are a very small school. There are high schools with larger enrollments than Furman. So, it's pretty impressive that we get the crowds we get. I have to admit though, I have always loved going to Boone on a great Fall Saturday to watch a football game ( my sister was at ASU when I was at FU, we used to road trip up there from G'ville. That was back in the day when you had to drive to Blowing Rock to buy booze). I have some pretty good memories of games in Boone.....well, sorta.....Some of those memories are a little fuzzy.xprost2x : retard : HA HA. I've had a couple of run-ins with @$$holes, but when it comes to Furman football, I can be an @$$hole too, so whatever, it's part of the fun. Anyway, sorta got off on a tanget there...different topic altogether. See kids, that's what happens to you when you party too much in college

AppGuy04
September 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Some of those memories are a little fuzzy.xprost2x : retard : HA HA

as they should be:hurray:

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
nteresting.....Bridgeforth has a capacity of 16,000+ for this year. Unlike ASU, we have to turn people away due to fire codes.

I guess you were going by the 13,559 PERM seats listed on the JMU web site.

You don't want to get in a capacity vs seating argument with App. One of their fans went down to Elon last year and counted each seat to dispute our "12,000" capacity mark as he only counted the 8500 permanent seats.

And yes, one of their fans really did make a side trip to our school to do that.

whoanellie
September 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM
oh yeah and just wait until our "official" phan counter will swear that Elon only brought 12 phans as well!!!!
the later start 3:30 ought to help a homecoming crowd but it should be a great game to see Elon's AA LB -#30 Chad Nkang swarm on defense. He will be the best Line backer in Boone since Dexter Coakley.

adrianb
September 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
You don't want to get in a capacity vs seating argument with App. One of their fans went down to Elon last year and counted each seat to dispute our "12,000" capacity mark as he only counted the 8500 permanent seats.

And yes, one of their fans really did make a side trip to our school to do that.

Did he count the seats or did he measure the seats using his butt? That could be the difference. :smiley_wi

AppState
September 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM
"it should be a great game to see Elon's AA LB -#30 Chad Nkang swarm on defense"

We will get to see a one-person swarm?

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM
hopefully hes "swarming" all over the secondary

.....turning into a smack thread pretty quick, huh

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Nkang is one of the best tho, no doubt at that.

WUTNDITWAA
September 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM

I was going on the 13,559 figure. Good to see that JMU is putting bleachers in to accommodate the growing fanbase. A part of me wishes the fire marshall would put the kaibash on our crowds, then we would have no alternative than to expand seating.

It wouldn't be the first time a "marshall" @$$---- would be in Kidd Brewer Stadium.:smiley_wi

AppStWill
September 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Who cares about one capacity vs. another. We all love our schools.....just win baby!

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM

The Boone fire marshalls aren't too afraid of the end zone hill catching fire. Plus there are huge emergency gates at four corners.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 04:57 PM
"it should be a great game to see Elon's AA LB -#30 Chad Nkang swarm on defense"

We will get to see a one-person swarm?

Heh heh. :nod:

AppGuy04
September 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Nkang is a beast, we all know that. He will get his, but the rest of the Elon D is the difference. I don't think Nkang can carry that team, even if he does have 15-18 tackles.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Umm:

1. "WE" didn't predict jack ****. it was a Charlotte alum who said that. Guess he was counting on a few purple clad fans actually showing up. He was wrong.
We're used to lots of GSU'ers, Furmen, and WCU'ers making the trip to Boone. Hell, even little ol Mars Hill matched the Dukes.:rolleyes:

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
oh yeah and just wait until our "official" phan counter will swear that Elon only brought 12 phans as well!!!!
the later start 3:30 ought to help a homecoming crowd but it should be a great game to see Elon's AA LB -#30 Chad Nkang swarm on defense. He will be the best Line backer in Boone since Dexter Coakley.

You guys would be more of a threat if your DE's and tackles made some stops.

AppMan
September 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Here is a classic example of why ASU people get so irritated with E-loan fans. They embellish everything in order to convince others and themselves they are legit. The FACT is nobody made a side trip to their school to count seats. I was the person who was in town on business and while waiting on a customer to get back to his office, spent my lunch hour walking around the stadium for something to do. My initial reason for counting was to clear up exactly how many seats would be available for ASU fans for the ballgame. Anyway, after about 3 minutes I came up with the number of people who could sit in the Visitor's Stands. Comparing this number to the one being tossed around by the E-loan people I knew right quick somebody was giving out false information, so I just strolled over to the other side and started counting. Guess what? It wasn't anywhere close to the 12,000 number their people had been beating their chest's about. In fact it was about 4,000 seats shy of that number. But they still disputed the fact even though I saw with my own eyes how small the place is. But, don't take my word for it here it is straight from the E-loan web site.

Facts & Figures
Rhodes Stadium is designed to give fans the ultimate game-day experience. The seats are contoured for comfort, and they're right on top of the action. All of the stadium's services are within an easy walk of any seat. As you stroll the concourse and settle into your seat, you might be interested in these facts:

Rhodes Stadium - Named for trustee Dusty Rhodes, his wife, Peggy, and their family

Square footage: 19,817 (not including playing surface)

Seats on home side: 6,401 - Seats on visitors' side: 1,619

TOTAL SEATS : 8,020

Cubic yards of concrete: 5,500

Tons of steel: 102

Number of bricks: 260,000

Height of Woods Center press box: 59 feet

Height of light towers: 110 feet

Height of bell tower: 57 feet

Dimensions of scoreboard/message center: 25' high x 32' wide

Number of lights in scoreboard/message center: 4,468

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
he FACT is nobody made a side trip to their school to count seats. I was the person who was in town on business and while waiting on a customer to get back to his office, spent my lunch hour walking around the stadium for something to do.

If you weren't at Elon on business then it was a side trip to the stadium, however you want to look at it.

The truth still stands. You have a problem with Elon. You spent your lunch hour to come across town (not a side trip you say) to count seats at our stadium so your could rally the crApp troops around anything negative you can say about us.

You're pathetic. Whatever Doug said, he counted wrong. And the Elon website shows LESS pemanent seats for reason. But why explain it to a crApp fan.... if enough people agree with him then it will automatically be true ...... so take your lies and pathetic arguments back to the MMB where everyone will dumbly just not and say yes.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Well Monday we get to hear either:
1. How there weren't really (blank) number of fans in attendance because the Elon poster saw there were empty spots in the (blank), (blank), and (blank) areas of the West stands and the bank couldn't have more than (blank) number of fans.
2. How the Elon fans filled up the entire East Side and the bank even and though they were wearing black and gold instead of maroon and white..

The Cats
September 27th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well Monday we get to hear either:
1. How there weren't really (blank) number of fans in attendance because the Elon poster saw there were empty spots in the (blank), (blank), and (blank) areas of the West stands and the bank couldn't have more than (blank) number of fans.
2. How the Elon fans filled up the entire East Side and the bank even and though they were wearing black and gold instead of maroon and white..

Got to go with the Elon guys on this one. I love that crApp name, don't know why a Catamount fan didn't think of it.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I-AA 2006 your post sounds like the typical comment of a crApp fan?

You guys are the ones making the outlandish predictions so far and then making excused when you don't hit them. And here you are talking crap about Elon still when none of us have said a darn thing about crApp on here and even given crApp props in the posts on here.

But you guys are relentless in trying to bait any sort of argument to put us down.

I'll wait for numerous excuses from App on Monday for why the game was as close as it was and why there weren't 30,000 people there.

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM
i, and probably many others, could care less about the home of the phoneix. the game is saturday. in our crAppy stadium, and im looking forward to it.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
, and probably many others, could care less about the home of the phoneix. the game is saturday. in our crAppy stadium, and im looking forward to it.

And that's the attitude we should all hav efor games and for each other's teams. It's a shame you guys have so many fans that just want to spoil anything to stir up as much garbage unrelated to the game as possible.

WUTNDITWAA
September 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM

You guys are the ones making the outlandish predictions so far and then making excused when you don't hit them. And here you are talking crap about Elon still when none of us have said a darn thing about crApp on here and even given crApp props in the posts on here.

But you guys are relentless in trying to bait any sort of argument to put us down.

I'll wait for numerous excuses from App on Monday for why the game was as close as it was and why there weren't 30,000 people there.

There may not be 30,000 people there, and the game may be closer than we think, but it won't change the fact that ASU will have won and it will take Elon three or four games to equal the attendance for one game at ASU.

How many bowls of Rhoades stadium would it take to get the same nutrition you could get from just having one bowl of Kidd Brewer? :D

Okay, a little smacky and a long way to set up that line, but I couldn't resist. Drive carefully Saturday and eveyone remember to clean up your "crAPP" at the tailgate.

psc2445
September 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM
phoenix, come on up here and take you whoopin. j/k don't pigeonhole us all into a biased corner. i think you guys are moving in the right direction but believe you still have a long way to go in many aspects. not to say you cant get there. i could care less how many seats you have i would just like to see them full when i go to watch a game there. good luck sat and this should be a litmus for both squads

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
phoenix, come on up here and take you whoopin. j/k don't pigeonhole us all into a biased corner. i think you guys are moving in the right direction but believe you still have a long way to go in many aspects. not to say you cant get there. i could care less how many seats you have i would just like to see them full when i go to watch a game there. good luck sat and this should be a litmus for both squads

exactly, in all aspects.

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I personally hope a lot of Elon fans show up at the game. Not just so we will reach a record attendance, but so they will be able to enjoy a great day for football in a great place to watch football. I have no doubt that Elon has the ability to go places. It also makes games a lot more fun when the visiting team has a good turnout..... helps both teams out, more intensity, and makes for a better game. For the Elon fans and App fans alike, have a safe trip up the mountain, represent your school, and have one hell of a good time.

Mr. C
September 28th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Don't know about Nkang being the best LB since Dexter Coakley. ASU has had a number of All-American linebackers (Joe DiBernardo, Justin Seaverns, Sam Smalls, Joey Hall) with and since Coakley and has seen opponents in Boone like Orlando Ruff, Will Bouton, William Freeman and Andrew Jones of Furman, John Mohring of Georgia Southern, Stephen Cooper of Maine, Maurice Bennett and Blake Constanzo of Lafayette, Josh Cain of Chattanooga, Mario Hankerson of ETSU and probably a few others I've missed. Cooper is STILL in the NFL with the Chargers, I think and several of those other guys went to NFL camps, or made NFL rosters.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Mr. C, I think three's a reason that NFL scout reports are putting Nkang in the 3rd-5th round for the draft.

Look guys, no one is saying Elon is going to walk through this game or realyl even win. We just said the game was going to be a ton better as we all know we still have a bit to go before we are where we need to be. We have a good defense, and even last year it was more than just one player (as Ijames, McAlister and Jetton come to mind as well). The key is keeping the game balanced so they aren't on the field all the time. And hopefully with Pope/Hudgins/Williamson/Mayers and good misdirection we'll get that.

It's just your few fans with the mammoth inferiority/superirity complex (depends on the perspective) that give App the bad name and image.

Regardless, some App fans will see how their own football grad, Mr Paul Hamilton, was a complete and utter failure for head coach (parading around with his father/son circus show). I can't believe those same people are still taking up for him.

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Honestly, I am just hoping that Elon being better is not a hoax. I would like to see a good game, not a blowout as it has been recently.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Mr. C, I think three's a reason that NFL scout reports are putting Nkang in the 3rd-5th round for the draft.

Look guys, no one is saying Elon is going to walk through this game or realyl even win. We just said the game was going to be a ton better as we all know we still have a bit to go before we are where we need to be. We have a good defense, and even last year it was more than just one player (as Ijames, McAlister and Jetton come to mind as well). The key is keeping the game balanced so they aren't on the field all the time. And hopefully with Pope/Hudgins/Williamson/Mayers and good misdirection we'll get that.

It's just your few fans with the mammoth inferiority/superirity complex (depends on the perspective) that give App the bad name and image.

Regardless, some App fans will see how their own football grad, Mr Paul Hamilton, was a complete and utter failure for head coach (parading around with his father/son circus show). I can't believe those same people are still taking up for him.

Elon had many more problems than just Ham and son. Seagraves last 3 years proved that. talk about your utter failures.xcoffeex

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Don't know about Nkang being the best LB since Dexter Coakley. ASU has had a number of All-American linebackers (Joe DiBernardo, Justin Seaverns, Sam Smalls, Joey Hall) with and since Coakley and has seen opponents in Boone like Orlando Ruff, Will Bouton, William Freeman and Andrew Jones of Furman, John Mohring of Georgia Southern, Stephen Cooper of Maine, Maurice Bennett and Blake Constanzo of Lafayette, Josh Cain of Chattanooga, Mario Hankerson of ETSU and probably a few others I've missed. Cooper is STILL in the NFL with the Chargers, I think and several of those other guys went to NFL camps, or made NFL rosters.

Wasn't "since Coakley, " but Dino Hackett certainly deserves mention when listing ASU LB's. NFL second round draft choice. 35th pick overall. Doubt Nkang will match that. 3rd round would still represent the SoCon well.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I-AA 2006 your post sounds like the typical comment of a crApp fan?You guys are the ones making the outlandish predictions so far and then making excused when you don't hit them. And here you are talking crap about Elon still when none of us have said a darn thing about crApp on here and even given crApp props in the posts on here.

Truth hurts doesn't it? You know very well what I'm talking about. For years, you've tried to come up with the empty seats in KBS when we're 4 or 5K over sell out.:rolleyes:

BTW Who is predicting 30K??? We should know by now that if Furman and WCU haven't netted 30K in KBS, Elon sure as hell won't..even with homecoming and 1st conf game creating interest. But if it does break records, I'm sure it's because Elon travels so well.

And Geez. "Baiting" is your favorite word any time anyone posts anything that you disagree with. And anytime someone tries to solicit an opinion on another board, you start with that "baiting" bull****.
What do you call that "crApp" bull**** you're always throwing out there? That's not baiting??

Saint3333
September 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Sounds like some smack on the discussion board. Elon fan quit making your blanket statements about ASU fans. Once a school gets a large number of fans there are going to be some bad apples (not saying any on here are ;-)). There's no need for the name calling.

BTW I hope more Elon fans show up than the tickets purchased. ASU sent you guys a whole section of seats and ~350 were sold. ASU will have 25K+ at the game anyway, and it isn't just the ASU fans predicted a solid victory for the Apps, check the sagarin ratings, any prediction website, and fans from the other SoCon schools. Elon is improved no doubt, but 9 out of 10 times (at least) ASU wins this game going away.

AppMan
September 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM
If you weren't at Elon on business then it was a side trip to the stadium, however you want to look at it.

A walk from downtown (if you can call it that), across your campus to the stadium is like a 1/4 mile! If that is your definition of a side trip you have got to get out more.

The truth still stands. You have a problem with Elon. You spent your lunch hour to come across town (not a side trip you say) to count seats at our stadium so your could rally the crApp troops around anything negative you can say about us.

The only truth that still stands is you people want the world to accept you as a legit D-I program so desperately you'll say anything to convince them. BTW, it isn't hard to find negative things to say about you guys.

You're pathetic. Whatever Doug said, he counted wrong.

What is really pathetic is you bringing all this up again and again. Let it go Louie!

And the Elon website shows LESS pemanent seats for reason..

I gotta hear this one!! OK partner go ahead and fill everyone in on the big secret! Here is your BIG opportunity to prove the ASU bigmouths wrong.

But why explain it to a crApp fan.....

Because you can't explain something that isn't true!

so take your lies and pathetic arguments back to the MMB where everyone will dumbly just not and say yes.

According to your school's web site the only lies are coming from YOU!

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Dayum!

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
BURN!

gophoenix
September 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Glad that it took the same two crApp idiots to back you up, again. And like you've even said anything of note.

You went to another school to count seats in a stadium because. And why? Because you love to point out anything and everything you can negative about Elon.

But truthfully, I am flattered that you guys spend so much of your time focusing on Elon... I am glad we mean that much.

Also, we are a legit D-I program. D-I encompasses all sports, to which we've been nationally ranked in baseball and soccer... well, in 2006. Let's see, App's beated us 6 times in baseball since 1960. How about App hasn't beaten us at Elon in basketball since 1972. Should we even talk about golf, tennis or other sports where you are just "so far ahead" (completely tongue in cheek).

The truth is, your administration stinks and Elon represents everything wrong at crApp. We have vision. We have ambition to move forward. We have donors who care. And we expose just why crApp lags and has done nothing but the "status quo" as you like to point out... well, that's been the story since you left NAIA. So don't cry to me and all the others because you sat idle and Elon and numerous other small timers are now at or better than you......

I'm done with yoy now Doug, so let all the others enjoy your little rant and you can have your little sidekicks post Dayum and Burn after to make you feel better.

Again, thanks for ALL the attention you constantly give Elon.

BigApp
September 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
You've GOT to be kidding me, right? You have been asked a legitimate question regarding the facts stated on your school's website and the "facts" as you present them regarding seating at your OWN stadium.

BTW, I'm STILL waiting to see either 1) a link to pictures, or 2) posted pictures of this massive "sea of red" you said existed at last weeks G-W game.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Glad that it took the same two crApp idiots to back you up, again. And like you've even said anything of note.

You went to another school to count seats in a stadium because. And why? Because you love to point out anything and everything you can negative about Elon.

But truthfully, I am flattered that you guys spend so much of your time focusing on Elon... I am glad we mean that much.

Also, we are a legit D-I program. D-I encompasses all sports, to which we've been nationally ranked in baseball and soccer... well, in 2006. Let's see, App's beated us 6 times in baseball since 1960. How about App hasn't beaten us at Elon in basketball since 1972. Should we even talk about golf, tennis or other sports where you are just "so far ahead" (completely tongue in cheek).

The truth is, your administration stinks and Elon represents everything wrong at crApp. We have vision. We have ambition to move forward. We have donors who care. And we expose just why crApp lags and has done nothing but the "status quo" as you like to point out... well, that's been the story since you left NAIA. So don't cry to me and all the others because you sat idle and Elon and numerous other small timers are now at or better than you......

I'm done with yoy now Doug, so let all the others enjoy your little rant and you can have your little sidekicks post Dayum and Burn after to make you feel better.

Again, thanks for ALL the attention you constantly give Elon.

Gophoenix definition of idiot: Anyone who dares to present actual facts which disprove his "opinions."

Oh, we're just so devasted that we haven "beated" Elon more in baseball. "Beated us." xlolx xlolx And we're idiots???xlolx

Let's see. So ASU is so mediocre in the other D 1 sports? Where exactly was Elon last year in the Commissioner's Cup race?
So don't cry to me and all the others because you sat idle and Elon and numerous other small timers are now at or better than you...... Status quo since leaving NAIA? History lesson for ya bub: App has won at least one SoCon championship in each sport, both men and women's since joining the conference.

Noticed you put the "at" Elon in the "How about App hasn't beaten us at Elon in basketball since 1972." Too, did you forget to mention we quit playing Elon for most of those years?? Just a little fact you omitted.

Dayum!

boonedocks
September 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ya'll should take this over to the smack thread. Im gettin tired of reading it and I am an App fan. Im sure our friends from other schools are way past that point. It has also taken a ride on a downward spiral from just offering opinion and analysis on the game. For the 3 of you that seem to know each other, lets try to move on. The fact is only elon fans see this as a rivalry, and for some reason only want to find reasons why they are better than app. Then revert to trashing our school, fanbase, alumni, with blanket statements. I know a couple real "winners" that grad. from elon but don't begin to assume that all students/alumni are the same.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Im gettin tired of reading it and I am an App fan.

Then please don't read the thread.

The fact is only elon fans see this as a rivalry

That's for sure. Elon could become a rival but would have to get in line behind WCU, Furman, GSU, Davidson/UNC Gee (other than football) and a couple others.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yes I said "beated." If the best you can now do is it harp on a typo on a sports forum, then that should show everyone where the state of your arguments lie.

And yes, Elon didn't play app most of those 30+ years in basketball. But, being crApp fans, you should be used to creative figures to prove a point.

As for Gardner-Webb pictures. I didn't say I had a picture, I said a MMB posted a picture.

Posted by our very on JCline, I-AA 2004:

Gardner-Webb had a very nice crowd of red. I had thought App was going to dilute the reserve seat side, but that didn't happen. It was all red on the "home side."

Quite loud when it looked like GW was going to make a game out of it.

In fact, view the whole thread:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=appstate&msg=15057.1

Again, Cline, Doug and whoever. No one ever said Elon was better than crApp in sports here or there or anywhere. So why do you crApp fans feel the constant need to dwell on reasons why you are better than Elon?

And Doug, we're finished with this. I know you'll get in the last word, but I'm finished reading and responding. You can sit in your little circle of friends and spin things however you want and pat each other on the backl for a job well done.....

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have 2 words for both of you

Private Message

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yes I said "beated." If the best you can now do is it harp on a typo on a sports forum, then that should show everyone where the state of your arguments lie.

And yes, Elon didn't play app most of those 30+ years in basketball. But, being crApp fans, you should be used to creative figures to prove a point.

As for Gardner-Webb pictures. I didn't say I had a picture, I said a MMB posted a picture.

Posted by our very on JCline, I-AA 2004:

In fact, view the whole thread:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=appstate&msg=15057.1

Again, Cline, Doug and whoever. No one ever said Elon was better than crApp in sports here or there or anywhere. So why do you crApp fans feel the constant need to dwell on reasons why you are better than Elon?

And Doug, we're finished with this. I know you'll get in the last word, but I'm finished reading and responding. You can sit in your little circle of friends and spin things however you want and pat each other on the backl for a job well done.....

Beated was just to humorous to pass up. :nod: Harping. Didn't harp just pointed it out after you called us idiots.
As to best I can do..guess you didn't bother to read the rest of the e-mail.

But, being crApp fans, you should be used to creative figures to prove a point
Yep indeed, from reading your arguments.
Glad we're finished. Thanks for playing.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I have 2 words for both of you

Private Message
No thanks. Don't need anymore childish spam, name calling e-mails, etc.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM
It's all in good fun and frustration with JCline and I. :) Or at least I hope it is.

"AppMan" is a different story.

GreatAppSt
September 28th, 2006, 05:58 PM
You've GOT to be kidding me, right? You have been asked a legitimate question regarding the facts stated on your school's website and the "facts" as you present them regarding seating at your OWN stadium.

BTW, I'm STILL waiting to see either 1) a link to pictures, or 2) posted pictures of this massive "sea of red" you said existed at last weeks G-W game.

thanks for ALL the attention you constantly give Elon.

Who da Phonics?xlolx xlolx :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AppMan
September 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I'm still waiting on the reason your school incorrectly lists the number of seats in Rhodes Stadium. Don't know how I'm attempting to get in the last word when I'm asking you explain the situstion. I'm thinking you backed yourself in a corner and can't answer the question so, you resort to name calling and deflecting to another issue. Just answer the question! WHY DOES ELON'S OWN WEBSITE LIST CAPACITY OF RHODES STADIUM AT 8,020, YET YOU CONTINUE TO CLAIM IT IS 12,000?

I guess you do want to be done with this, but I'm not going to let it rest until you give the answer to the question presented to you.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
WHY DOES ELON'S OWN WEBSITE LIST CAPACITY OF RHODES STADIUM AT 8,020, YET YOU CONTINUE TO CLAIM IT IS 12,000?

Man are you dense, I'm not in a corner, I just don't want to talk to you.

Please show me where I claimed 12,000? The App Media Guide listed 12,000. I claimed 8500, which is technically what it is depending on how seats are assigned in certain sections for students on a yearly basis, so maybe it is 8020 when it was built (when students had 1 assigned section). But then again, the Elon website shows that it as 8250 in another location too (I'll let you do your own search). The NCAA has it lists at 12,000, the SoCon lists it as 8250.... which do you want to buy? The one you "counted?" the one in crApp's media guide? The one the NCAA lists? The one the Elon media guide lists? Does it matter in the whole scheme of things? And if it does matter, why does it matter to you so much?

I don't know why you insist on "I claim 12,000" business. I said capacity is 12,000. Capacity _IS_ 12,000. Permanent seating is 8250. And yes, we do have temporary seating.

Regardless, we are D-I, just like crApp. And no matter if it is a 4,000 seat stadium or a 30,000 seat stadium; if you aren't BCS then we're all viewed the same.

I guess you do want to be done with this, but I'm not going to let it rest until you give the answer to the question presented to you.

There's your answer, but for some reason, I really doubt this is going to satisfy you to make you stop posting. So, what can we expect next????

Buh bye Doug.

psc2445
September 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
boys, this is gettin old quick

KiddBrewer
September 29th, 2006, 01:18 AM
boys, when i made this thread i wasnt intending on it be a debate over rhodes stadium capacity. nobody cares, elon or appalachian. the name of the thread "appalachian vs. elon" was meant to protain to the game this weekend, not the apparent hate for each other that appalachian and elon fans have for each other that i was not aware of. is elon or new rival school or something?

AppMan
September 29th, 2006, 06:20 AM
So, now we know the difference in seating capacity and just plain old capacity. I suppose that makes the total capacity of KBS unknown, since people can sit on the hills above the bank. Perhaps we already have a 30,000 capacity stadium!

To answer your question. Elon wishes we were a rival and they may even consider us one, but it is strictly one sided. These guys come on the ASU board all the time claiming this and that attempting to get AppFans to buy into their legitimacy. They remind me of that younger brother of the guy down the block who, during the selecting teams for the backyard touch football game, is jumping up and down screaming "pick me pick me, I'm good, I can play, I swear I can!" They are like a bunch of gnats who do little more than pester you all the time.

gophoenix
September 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
KiddBrewer,

Most App fans on the MMB claim that there is no rivalry. And that's fine. But the MMB, and Doug, are by no means a true representation of everyone's opinion. And just because Doug says "Elon wishes we were a rival" doesn't make that true either. I would bet that, by and large, more Elon fans would care about beating JMU, Richmond, Hofstra and those types of schools considering the demographics of our school.

With that said, Elon fans don't want to lose to App in any sport and App fans don't want to lose to Elon in any sport. The fans (at least the sample on message boards) hate each other for the most part. And the game comes down to, its a conference game and no one wants to lose a conference game either.

A rivalry with the historical definition takes years upon years to build (like App/Western, UNC/Duke, A&T/NC Central, and so on). But to some of us, yes it is a rivalry, but not for the traditional definition. I have many old high school friends that went to App and Elon and this is the only time of year we all get together in a group, tailgate for 10-12 hours and go to the games. We're all avid football fans and to us it _IS_ a rivalry. To the App and Elon people I work with, again yes it is. To the ones I know around town that also know many other Elon people, yes it seems to be. To others, not so much, but the games seem to mean something to both App and Elon fans considering how much attention (positive or negative) is given to it from both sides of the spectrum on both team's message boards. Outside of football, Elon has other schools it treats in this manner overall.

So it really depends on perspective; the answer is yes and no depending on the angle that you look at it.

HiHiYikas
September 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Does this thread have a reset button? I could post telephone directory listings from Boone and Elon, NC, and it would have about as much to do with this weekend's matchup as most of this thread.:nonono2:

It will be nice to play an in-conference I-AA after two weeks of sub-SoCon matchups. I'm not especially worried about our preparedness, since the whole "they played a D2 last week so they won't be ready" excuse is almost altogether worthless. New Hampshire could play Randolph-Macon Women's college this weekend and still pound Rhode Island the following week.

Id like this game to be for us what the WCU-Furman game was for Furman - an opportunity to confirm conference dominance by soundly thrashing a team that everyone picked to be much improved this year. I'm not predicting 42-7 ASU, though.

Elon's improved this year, and we're not exactly the team that had them down 45-0 in the 4th quarter last year. So knock a few points off the 52 we hung on Elon last year, and maybe add a bit to their 14. Modify those numbers to factor in the faster game times, plus the fact it's a home game and homecoming for ASU...

I'd guess 38-10-ish ASU.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2006, 09:40 AM
It's all in good fun and frustration with JCline and I. :) Or at least I hope it is.

"AppMan" is a different story.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes... well, a couple times, I got as far as looking up your house on mapquest and getting a coke bottle, 93 octane gasoline, matches, and a rag for a Molotov.:nod:

SoCon48
September 29th, 2006, 09:51 AM
"Most App fans on the MMB claim that there is no rivalry. And that's fine. But the MMB, and Doug, are by no means a true representation of everyone's opinion"

Thing is, if you can count ASU as having and playing 6 rivals a year, then yes, Elon is a rival. It's really that simple. Elon would (with VMI now gone) be at top of the list of teams we'd most hate to lose to but way down on the list of teams we look forward to seeing, facing and beating in KBS and talking about it all year.
There is a huge difference.

gophoenix
September 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Elon would (with VMI now gone) be at top of the list of teams we'd most hate to lose to but way down on the list of teams we look forward to seeing, facing and beating in KBS and talking about it all year.

The thing is the definition of what "we" is. That was the whole point of the post I just made. "we" is different from person to person. I am sure you could find any number of students and grads at any school who don't consider anyone a rival because they could care less about sports.

SoCon48
September 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM
The thing is the definition of what "we" is. That was the whole point of the post I just made. "we" is different from person to person. I am sure you could find any number of students and grads at any school who don't consider anyone a rival because they could care less about sports.

Well, I was kinda referring to ASU football fans. Haven't met one yet who considers Elon a rival. Well maybe a couple who were around in the 1950's and they'd say Lenoir Rhyne, Western and Catawba first.:cool:

KiddBrewer
September 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
gophoneix, i agree with on a lot of points, but all rivalries are person to person. if we are going by some of the definitions stated here in this thread, then yes its true, every socon team is our rival, because we dont want to lose to any of them.

gophoenix
September 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Well, I was kinda referring to ASU football fans. Haven't met one yet who considers Elon a rival. Well maybe a couple who were around in the 1950's and they'd say Lenoir Rhyne, Western and Catawba first.

Would you like me to introduce some to you?

SoCon48
September 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Would you like me to introduce some to you?

Ah heck, they just say that because either they're your friends and don't want to hurt your feelings or live close to the Elon campus. How many are there? Like three maybe?
Never actually met one but I imagine I'll see a live passenger pigeon sooner.xcoffeex

youwouldno
September 29th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I mean I'm not a fan of either, but isn't that matchup missing most ingredients you need in a rivalry? Just because they're in the same state? That's pretty weak. Besides its not a rivalry if one team always wins.

Furman-Wofford started in 1889, there's like 80 games history, and still Furman fans don't consider Wofford-- 45 minutes away- a primary rival. Those are built on the field, i.e. Furman-GSU facing off in title games and playing important conference games over the years.

HiHiYikas
September 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Besides its not a rivalry if one team always wins...
While technically true, this doesn't always pan out in real life.

At .272, Elon's win percentage against ASU is slightly higher than WCU's .261 percentage against ASU. Still, the ASU-WCU rivalry is well-chronicled.

Mr. C
September 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Projections this time of year are a dime a dozen. Let's talk about it again in April. I've seen Chad Nkang and written about him since he was a freshman fullback. Chad's a great player, but to put him in the stratosphere of Dexter Coakley is a large stretch. Coakley had more tackles than anyone in the history of I-AA, is the ONLY two-time Buchanan Award winner and is a three-time Pro Bowler. He is arguably the best linebacker and top defensive player in the history of I-AA. Like I said in my earlier post, Stephen Cooper of Maine is probably the best linebacker I've seen at KBS since Coakley moved on to the NFL. I can't rank Nkang with Cooper yet.

JMU99
September 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. C] He is arguably the best linebacker and top defensive player in the history of I-AA.QUOTE]

ever heard of a fella by the name of Charles Haley?:thumbsup:

Mr. C
September 30th, 2006, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. C] He is arguably the best linebacker and top defensive player in the history of I-AA.QUOTE]

ever heard of a fella by the name of Charles Haley?:thumbsup:
Yes, I seem to remember that name. I also know there was a fella named Michael Strahan who played for some little school down in Texas. But at the I-AA college level, Coakley's accomplishments seak for themselves. Like I said, arguably. And as far as LBs are concerned, I haven't seen anyone come close at I-AA to Coakley. You folks at JMU should remember Coakley from the 1995 playoffs.

Saint3333
October 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM

Well it's only Sunday, but no excuses here 26K+ not sure who said 30K for this game. A record crowd yesterday even without a good showing from Elon (maybe 400 fans came up the mountain). Over 500 yards of offense and the defense played well again, the good news is Elon's first team is better than our second team which wasn't the case last year. Elon used a couple trick plays and beside the silly unsportsman like penalties Lembo has already improved your team.

GP hopefully is the future you'll show more respect to our school and not sink to the "ASU" level as YOU might say, your posts have really gone down hill...

SoCon48
October 1st, 2006, 05:57 PM
The 30K stuff is basically getting started coming from an alumni group down in Charlotte. Not from ASU.

With the weather as great as it was, had we been playing WCU or Furman, it could have easily approached 30K yesterday since they would have actually brought some fans of their own.
Personally, after seeing what the 26K was like, we were very lucky not to have had close to 30K. We're not prepared for it nor making adequate compensations for that kind of crowd.
Still, can't see anyone apologizing to an Elon fan for more than doubling their attendance record.