PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Standings

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2013, 09:05 PM
Lehigh & Fordham: 7-0
Everyone Else: 3-14

Has there ever been a season like this in non-conference play?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 09:10 PM
Colgate fans should be banned from talking about FBS games for 3 years......

ColgateTD
September 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
Except for LU and the Rams, the Ivies took us to the woodshed today. All you other PL teams will be glad to face 'Gate this season. What a shambles in Hamilton! :(

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM

Can't put Lehigh and Fordham in the same sentence.

Lehigh has won three games by a total of 11 points
- vs. CCSU (7 points - OT)
- at Monmouth (3 points)
- at Princeton (1 point)

Fordham has won four games by a total of 74 points
- vs. URI (25 points)
- vs. Villanova (3 points)
- at Temple (1 point)
- vs. Columbia (45 points)

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 09:30 PM

- at Monmouth (3 points)
- at Princeton (1 point)

- vs. URI (25 points)
- at Temple (1 point)

If Fordham of the future of Patriot League parity, well, I'm good with that.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM

Yes. Between 1993 and 1997 there was a lot of this.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM
Except for LU and the Rams, the Ivies took us to the woodshed today. All you other PL teams will be glad to face 'Gate this season. What a shambles in Hamilton! :(

Worst Colgate team since 1995.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2013, 10:08 PM

- at Monmouth (3 points)
- at Princeton (1 point)

- vs. URI (25 points)
- at Temple (1 point)

Lehigh was very lucky this evening. Leuigh played a fine second half, but Princeton just collapsed.

Go...gate
September 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM
Colgate fans should be banned from talking about FBS games for 3 years......

You just can't let this go, can you? My goodness.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 10:14 PM
You just can't let this go, can you? My goodness.

I can't help it, lol...it's too easy....

Seriously though, PL as whole needs to worry about FCS for the next two years. Look at the numbers....

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 10:16 PM

. . . says the team that spread wide for Fordham last week.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 10:20 PM
. . . says the team that spread wide for Fordham last week.

We're a basketball school....

Why do you think I've spent the last 10 years on here? I couldn't live without Pard4life..

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM
We're a basketball school....

Didn't know that Temple was dropping football. Announcement this week?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Didn't know that Temple was dropping football. Announcement this week?

If we lose to Idaho next week there will be an announcement at high noon on 9/29 to give up all hope...

Go...gate
September 21st, 2013, 10:47 PM

Seriously though, PL as whole needs to worry about FCS for the next two years. Look at the numbers....

Except for Fordham and Lehigh, the league's OOC batting average is a disaster right now no matter who is being played. It is looking like 1994, when Lafayette won the conference at 5-6 - 5-0 in the league and 0-6 outside it.

Sader87
September 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
The league absolutely sucks this year...no way around it....thank Christ this is probably (hopefully) its nadir.

We gave up scholarships for this?????

Bogus Megapardus
September 21st, 2013, 10:58 PM
The league absolutely sucks this year...no way around it....thank Christ this is probably (hopefully) its nadir.

We gave up scholarships for this?????

A) That was 25 years ago

B) You have scholarships now

C) Fordham has shown what we will become

Be thankful.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM
A) That was 25 years ago

B) You have scholarships now

C) Fordham has shown what we will become

Be thankful.

C is not guaranteed. Fordham has stepped up their whole athletics program. Even hoops...

Sader87
September 21st, 2013, 11:05 PM
Hear ya Bogey....but it's awfully hard to feel optimistic about a program that has lost to Bryant and Monmouth this year.

At least give me credit for the belief that non-scholarship football for Holy Cross football from 1992-2012 was a huge, huge mistake that may or may not ever be rectified.

RichH2
September 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM
Yup, took Rams a bit longer than it should have due to lousy coaching .2nd yr with competent staff we see the result. Give a PL team 2 more yrs of schollies and decent coaching and this yr's OOC will not be repeatedxthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2013, 12:27 AM

Oh yeah, I'll be bookmarking this one.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2013, 12:46 AM
The Ivies went 4-2 against the Patriot 7 and went 6-2 overall when adding wins over Butler and San Diego. And it's worth noting that Princeton very nearly made it 7-1.

Fordham over Columbia --> Fordham appears to be that good, and Columbia that bad
Lehigh over Princeton --> very evenly matched teams
Penn over Lafayette --> with backup QB Lafayette still came close to winning
Cornell over Bucknell --> in a different zip code
Brown over Georgetown --> ditto

Yale over Colgate is just a complete and utter head-scratcher. The other results were more or less plausible, though Fordham's domniation surprised me. But Colgate losing with McCarney to a Yale team picked 7th - that's the one that is of great concern.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2013, 01:35 AM
It could be that, except for McCarney and a couple of above-average runners, the cupboard is finally empty at Colgate. Some are yelling for Biddle's job over on the Colgate board, which is hard to swallow. But for Biddle and Fred Dunlap, we'd be in Division III now.

CFBfan
September 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM

yes, and yet gate has Navy, Ball State and Vanderbilt over the next 3 years....UGH!

CFBfan
September 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
The Ivies went 4-2 against the Patriot 7 and went 6-2 overall when adding wins over Butler and San Diego. And it's worth noting that Princeton very nearly made it 7-1.

Fordham over Columbia --> Fordham appears to be that good, and Columbia that bad

Yale over Colgate is just a complete and utter head-scratcher. The other results were more or less plausible, though Fordham's domniation surprised me. But Colgate losing with McCarney to a Yale team picked 7th - that's the one that is of great concern.

and after hanging 45 on bucknell, cornell might put 90 up on the gate d

aceinthehole
September 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Lehigh was very lucky this evening. Leuigh played a fine second half, but Princeton just collapsed.

Just like CCSU collapsed in week 2.

Lehigh is the best of some very mediocre teams. I will give them a lot of credit though - it takes a lot to come back and win games. There is no doubt they have some intangibles that put them at the head of the class of some otherwise blah teams.

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Worst Colgate team since 1995.

Just wait until you play Lafayette.... GRAY SKIES ARE GOING TO CLEAR UP! PUT ON HAPPY FACE!! :D xawesomex

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
It could be that, except for McCarney and a couple of above-average runners, the cupboard is finally empty at Colgate. Some are yelling for Biddle's job over on the Colgate board, which is hard to swallow. But for Biddle and Fred Dunlap, we'd be in Division III now.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!

You are starting to sound like sader87!!!

Your first scholarship class contains monsters! Biddle teams don't stay down for long. So what? You stunk in 2006 but won the PL in 2008 and won 9 games in 2009!!

TheValleyRaider
September 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM

Let's take a few steps back. A few of those guys on the Voy board are trolls, and many of the pessimistic others are very careful to avoid putting things on Biddle. I'm not in love with the play-calling (on both sides of the ball), but some of it, as you point out, is the players. The play of the offensive line is the most discomforting, as usually seasons where they struggle are marked by injuries forcing players into playing time they aren't ready for.

Biddle has maintained he could have a pretty good team with scholarships, to me implying he's missed out on a few guys he's really wanted due to that lack. A nice first class is a start, but as long as they build on it I feel pretty good going forward. Get the kids some experience, and build some real depth on the roster. The best will stick, and we'll find out if that's good enough.

Losing sucks, but I'd rather start 0-4 while playing some of the best we can for experience, than have a year like 2009 where we went 9-2, but lost to the 2 decent teams on our schedule and wound up watching the playoffs (see also Lehigh, 2012)

ColgateTD
September 22nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Just wait until you play Lafayette.... GRAY SKIES ARE GOING TO CLEAR UP! PUT ON HAPPY FACE!! :D xawesomex

I'm not giving up until after next weekend, but perhaps the Pards-Gate game will tell us who winds up in last place :(

Sader87
September 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Just like CCSU collapsed in week 2.

Lehigh is the best of some very mediocre teams. I will give them a lot of credit though - it takes a lot to come back and win games. ere is no doubt they have some intangibles that put them at the head of the class of some otherwise blah teamsTh.

One of those otherwise "blah teams" beat CCSU at their place 52-21 just sayin....

In general though, why does this seem to be the worst collection of teams (excluding Fordham) in at least over a decade?

Is there a defining reason ala the last couple of pre-scholarship recruiting years were poor for all? Some of the better programs (Lehigh and Colgate) have come back to the pack? Other reasons?

It's just hard for me to comprehend how quickly the bottom of this league seems to have fallen out : HC losing to both Bryant and Monmouth (at home), Marist beating GTown, the Ivies pummeling most everyone yesterday etc etc etc

I know Fordham's success so far gives all (except maybe the Hoyas) hope....but how did it get this bad this fast?

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM
One of those otherwise "blah teams" beat CCSU at their place 52-21 just sayin....

In general though, why does this seem to be the worst collection of teams (excluding Fordham) in at least over a decade?

Is there a defining reason ala the last couple of pre-scholarship recruiting years were poor for all? Some of the better programs (Lehigh and Colgate) have come back to the pack? Other reasons?

It's just hard for me to comprehend how quickly the bottom of this league seems to have fallen out : HC losing to both Bryant and Monmouth (at home), Marist beating GTown, the Ivies pummeling most everyone yesterday etc etc etc

I know Fordham's success so far gives all (except maybe the Hoyas) hope....but how did it get this bad this fast?

Just wait the puppy from the south will be here to tell us all why the PL is so bad. Anyone who respects his opinion, stand by. Here boy! xcoffeex

Sader87
September 22nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Seriously though....yesterday was pretty bad, if not for another escape by Lehigh, all 6 teams eligible for the title would have lost, most handily.

Just wondering out loud but do you think there is bad karma/chenistry with these teams being 1/4 scholarship, 3/4 non-schollie? Upper-classmen "mailing it in" etc???

bulldog10jw
September 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM

Maybe Yale shouldn't have been picked 7th with Varga.

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
yes, and yet gate has Navy, Ball State and Vanderbilt over the next 3 years....UGH!

Sorry, guys. Still would rather play Ball State, Navy and Vanderbilt. End of story.

Kramer
September 22nd, 2013, 07:22 PM
Sorry, guys. Still would rather play Ball State, Navy and Vanderbilt. End of story.

No need to apologize for playing a quality OOC schedule. The rest of the PL is working on upgrading their OOC, so soon enough it will be a moot point.

Engineer86
September 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
No need to apologize for playing a quality OOC schedule. The rest of the PL is working on upgrading their OOC, so soon enough it will be a moot point.

Any indication that Lehigh is doing this?

van
September 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM

I don't think that the sky is falling quite that much.
2012, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2011, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2010, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2009, three teams had winnig records, everyone else was under .500
My point being that if Lehigh and Fordham end up 8-3 or better and the rest are around .500 or worse, that is not unusual.

Sader87
September 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
I don't think that the sky is falling quite that much.
2012, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2011, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2010, two teams had decent records, everyone else was around .500 or worse
2009, three teams had winnig records, everyone else was under .500
My point being that if Lehigh and Fordham end up 8-3 or better and the rest are around .500 or worse, that is not unusual.

I know what you're saying but this year seems worse than ever.

HC has gone from 7 straight seasons from 2005-2011 to 2-9 and 1-3 and is losing to teams they really shouldn't be losing to schollies or no schollies.

Colgate is 0-4 for the first time in forever and they can say it's mostly due to a strong OOC but neither Albany or Yale are, or supposed to be, good this year.

Lafayette is also winless and seem to be in disarray.

GTown has gone from "competitive" to bad quickly over the last couple years.

Bucknell is Bucknell but they were beaten badly yesterday by a supposed middling Ivy.

Lehigh to their credit is 3-0...but could easily be 0-3, against hardly the greatest comp so far.

It just seems that collectively the league has really bottomed out this year and I'm curious how this came to be.

CFBfan
September 22nd, 2013, 09:19 PM

no apology needed! i agree with you

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM

Some posters say yes, but future schedules do not appear to have been published.

citdog
September 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
I know what you're saying but this year seems worse than ever.

HC has gone from 7 straight seasons from 2005-2011 to 2-9 and 1-3 and is losing to teams they really shouldn't be losing to schollies or no schollies.

Colgate is 0-4 for the first time in forever and they can say it's mostly due to a strong OOC but neither Albany or Yale are, or supposed to be, good this year.

Lafayette is also winless and seem to be in disarray.

GTown has gone from "competitive" to bad quickly over the last couple years.

Bucknell is Bucknell but they were beaten badly yesterday by a supposed middling Ivy.

Lehigh to their credit is 3-0...but could easily be 0-3, against hardly the greatest comp so far.

It just seems that collectively the league has really bottomed out this year and I'm curious how this came to be.

I say the same thing and these yankee boys go NUTS! Want to invade us AGAIN even!

Go...gate
September 22nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I say the same thing and these yankee boys go NUTS! Want to invade us AGAIN even!

LOL!!!

Kramer
September 23rd, 2013, 03:49 AM

yes.

CFBfan
September 23rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
yes.

yes.....so who are they scheduled to play??

jdb037
September 23rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Article on a Bucknell 2014 commit indicates they are working on games with the academies and have something lined up with Duke

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/westminster-receiver-kinner-commits-to-bucknell/article_67222fa8-21fc-11e3-ba0a-0019bb30f31a.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RichH2
September 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Future schedules, an unneccessay mystery but a reality for LU fans. Joe will not release officially future scheds.We do know that 2 FBS games are scheduled plus a third awaiting finalization and a number of CAA games.
No sugarcoating ,other than Fordham,PL is not good this year. Why? For LU ,it returns only 2 starters Add to that the suspensions and injuries and you have LU's inconsistency. I expect LU will improve throughout the season. Gate lost their best RB and McCarbney is not near 100% yet. Their D is about what it has been for the last 3 yrs,porous. No idea why Biddle inable to fix D. Hoyas have numerus injuries to their best players and have zero depth. Cross a middle pack team that lacks speed.Tom has some speedy frosh and a very good fr QB but all need experience. Bison ,Susan is still building but as usual good skill kids but not yet much depth.His senior QB has not shown that he can be a difference maker. Pards , a surprise to me. QB has not stepped up as expected and also being hit with injuries.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Future schedules, an unneccessay mystery but a reality for LU fans. Joe will not release officially future scheds.We do know that 2 FBS games are scheduled plus a third awaiting finalization and a number of CAA games.
No sugarcoating ,other than Fordham,PL is not good this year. Why? For LU ,it returns only 2 starters Add to that the suspensions and injuries and you have LU's inconsistency. I expect LU will improve throughout the season. Gate lost their best RB and McCarbney is not near 100% yet. Their D is about what it has been for the last 3 yrs,porous. No idea why Biddle inable to fix D. Hoyas have numerus injuries to their best players and have zero depth. Cross a middle pack team that lacks speed.Tom has some speedy frosh and a very good fr QB but all need experience. Bison ,Susan is still building but as usual good skill kids but not yet much depth.His senior QB has not shown that he can be a difference maker. Pards , a surprise to me. QB has not stepped up as expected and also being hit with injuries.

I think Holy Cross are taking their lumps now, and will be MUCH better come league play. That's my prediction. And next year they might be even better still.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Lehigh does not publish future schedules. However, various people close to the situation indicate that we have new contracts with UNH and JMU in next couple years; supposedly Army on board in a couple years, and 'discussions' with some eastern FBS schools. So real attempts are being made to strengthen the OOC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry, guys. Still would rather play Ball State, Navy and Vanderbilt. End of story.That's fine but don't look for respect when you're on the wrong end of another paycheck beatdown. You have nothing to lose when you have no chance.....

Hopefully Lehigh worries about scheduling and beating FCS powers before they take on FBS teams.

citdog
September 23rd, 2013, 05:24 PM
That's fine but don't look for respect when you're on the wrong end of another paycheck beatdown. You have nothing to lose when you have no chance.....

Hopefully Lehigh worries about scheduling and beating FCS powers before they take on FBS teams.

ball state, canoe u, and Vandy are "paycheck beatdowns"?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM

Navy and Vandy absolutely are. Ball State truthfully isn't...

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2013, 05:45 PM

Take it from a SoCon expert on paycheck beat downs! Is there really a difference when the PL has a paycheck game or the SoCon does it? I am sure you have some theory on how it is different?

citdog
September 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Take it from a SoCon expert on paycheck beat downs! Is there really a difference when the PL has a paycheck game or the SoCon does it? I am sure you have some theory on how it is different?

our paycheck games are against klempsin, alabama, wisconsin, etc etc. ball state , canoe u, and vandy are winnable games.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
That's fine but don't look for respect when you're on the wrong end of another paycheck beatdown. You have nothing to lose when you have no chance.....

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, scheduling a team that could be an "FCS Power" one season and a dud the next is tricky business, while scheduling FBS bottom feeders like Georgia State or UMass gives you "schedule strength" no matter how horrible they are.

One FBS game every year or every other year is a fun experience and a new challenge as well as a paycheck. No PL people are advocating two or three to pay the rent.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM
I know one thing is for sure - if Lehigh wants to avoid a fate like 2012, they'd better go undefeated in the Patriot League (including beating Fordham) OR win their Patriot League games by impressive margins.

Beating New Hampshire would help matters too.

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
I know one thing is for sure - if Lehigh wants to avoid a fate like 2012, they'd better go undefeated in the Patriot League (including beating Fordham) OR win their Patriot League games by impressive margins.

Beating New Hampshire would help matters too.

Lehigh can lose to Fordham and UNH, Columbia as well for that matter and squeak by all of the remaining PL foes and they will not face a fate like 2012. They will have the auto bid and might get hammered, but they won't be left out.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 06:32 PM
Lehigh can lose to Fordham and UNH, Columbia as well for that matter and squeak by all of the remaining PL foes and they will not face a fate like 2012. They will have the auto bid and might get hammered, but they won't be left out.

Good point - Fordham doesn't officially count in the Patriot League standings, so Lehigh can get the autobid if they do as you say.

I'd still like them to play a 1st round home playoff game if possible, if they can't get the bye. (A 1st round home playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend would also allow me to see that game in person.)

Engineer86
September 23rd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Good point - Fordham doesn't officially count in the Patriot League standings, so Lehigh can get the autobid if they do as you say.

I'd still like them to play a 1st round home playoff game if possible, if they can't get the bye. (A 1st round home playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend would also allow me to see that game in person.)

They have to bid to get the home game and based on playing at Towson two years ago, I do not know how aggressive we have been bidding. But like citdog, that is just opinion, nothing based on fact xlolx

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
They have to bid to get the home game and based on playing at Towson two years ago, I do not know how aggressive we have been bidding. But like citdog, that is just opinion, nothing based on fact xlolx

The whole bidding process is kind of ridiculous to me. Just seed the teams and be done with it.

Having said that, based on the rankings in 2011, Towson deserved to host that game. (And in my case, I'm glad they hosted it, because it made it easy for me to attend it. :))

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM

Only in your eyes.