PDA

View Full Version : LOVE the FCS notoriety BUT....

FootballCEO
September 21st, 2013, 09:25 AM
Why must the majors ALWAYS treat it as a novelty... Like "OMG we're here in (insert small FCS town) and there's actually running water and electricity! Now lets get back to the SEC"

Thoughts?

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
TV ratings

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Cocky
September 21st, 2013, 09:32 AM
Money
why would Kiffin be on any show unless you invested in his product before the demise?

Skyhawk71
September 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM
The UTK faithful are actually crying and complaining on twitter and Facebook about it not being in Gainesville- "the rivalry" the history xblahx; They cannot believe it is in Fargo, it has actually led to outstanding trolling moments on both...............

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM
ESPN has probably talked more FCS-related stuff (mostly NDSU of course) outside of a game broadcast today than they probably have in the last 10 years.

UNH Fanboi
September 21st, 2013, 10:28 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/190ukacvru2lqjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

JSUBison
ESPN has probably talked more FCS-related stuff (mostly NDSU of course) outside of a game broadcast today than they probably have in the last 10 years.

I agree. For as much as we FCSers tend to have a love/hate relationship with ESPN, I thought it was a pretty big bone they threw to FCS this week. I hope that the powers that be at ESPN see that there is enthusiasm for the FCS, even if it tends to be localized. I really hope a trip to Montana, JMU or other FCS hotbed will be in ESPN's future in the coming years.

Bisonwinagn
The UTK faithful are actually crying and complaining on twitter and Facebook about it not being in Gainesville- "the rivalry" the history xblahx; They cannot believe it is in Fargo, it has actually led to outstanding trolling moments on both...............

UT needs to become relevant for the game to mean anything.

Skyhawk71
September 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM
UT needs to become relevant for the game to mean anything.

Don't tell the UTK gang anything like that, they believe they are always relevant- I hope that they never ever return to relevance, alas, too much money up on the hill- Go Gators

fencer24
September 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Why must the majors ALWAYS treat it as a novelty... Like "OMG we're here in (insert small FCS town) and there's actually running water and electricity! Now lets get back to the SEC"

Thoughts?

Every playoff that they televise has been the same way. They make it seem like an imposition that they have to be in Missoula, Fargo or wherever instead of some minor SEC school.

putter
September 21st, 2013, 01:50 PM
Also, the reason that GameDay was in Fargo was due more to of their success against the FBS than their FCS success....

Southern Bison
September 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Also, the reason that GameDay was in Fargo was due more to of their success against the FBS than their FCS success....

Really?? Our success against FBS was simply the "cherry on top" of the "historically successful program" sundae that ESPN dove spoon-first into.

Saint3333
September 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM

Most likely so.

Twentysix
September 21st, 2013, 07:49 PM

Yeah def. 7 wins in such a short period had the most to do with it.

NIU007
September 22nd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Every playoff that they televise has been the same way. They make it seem like an imposition that they have to be in Missoula, Fargo or wherever instead of some minor SEC school.

They treat everybody outside the power conferences that way.

Laker
September 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Herbstreet made some backhanded statement about how "if it plays in Fargo, it will play anywhere."

Of course, I'd still rather have them at a FCS site than somewhere else.

Bisonoline
September 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Let us not forget that ESPN owns the majority of bowl games and the rights to the FCS playoffs and the FCS Championship game. It behooves them to generate viewers for FCS games.

Twentysix
September 24th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Let us not forget that ESPN owns the majority of bowl games and the rights to the FCS playoffs and the FCS Championship game. It behooves them to generate viewers for FCS games.

Agreed, they may have played NDSU up enough (plus 3 peat story, plus success vs teams people have heard of) to get a playoff game on the mothership this year, especially a quality semifinal game @ the dome. Montana @ NDSU in the semi's could maybe do it.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I thought they were pretty respectful, a little goofy but not too bad.

The upshot to the whole show is the MEGA press outside of ESPN. Craig Bohl was on with Tim Brando's CBS Sportsnet show and almost every website picked it up. The overall consensus was Fargo BROUGHT IT in terms of repping on Gameday. Crazy atmosphere, enthusiasm, and clever signs had everyone talking.

They may move on next weekend but Fargo and NDSU left an impression.

Herder
September 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM
ESPN aint going to Missoula any time soon. Need some FBS on that bone, and there's no meat there. You can win all the Big Sky championships you want, but NCs and FBS wins are what count, even if the landscape is pretty.

UNH Fanboi
September 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
ESPN aint going to Missoula any time soon. Need some FBS on that bone, and there's no meat there. You can win all the Big Sky championships you want, but NCs and FBS wins are what count, even if the landscape is pretty.

Wasn't the 2009 Montana-ASU semi-final @ Missoula the highest rated FCS game ever? Montana is the best playoff venue in FCS.

Southern Bison
September 24th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I thought they were pretty respectful, a little goofy but not too bad.

The upshot to the whole show is the MEGA press outside of ESPN. Craig Bohl was on with Tim Brando's CBS Sportsnet show and almost every website picked it up. The overall consensus was Fargo BROUGHT IT in terms of repping on Gameday. Crazy atmosphere, enthusiasm, and clever signs had everyone talking.

They may move on next weekend but Fargo and NDSU left an impression.

I have had many BCS-level & east coast FCS-level fans & alums comment to me over the past 10 days about the awesomeness from the announcement to how well NDSU & Fargo represented themselves. NDSU has received more national recognition to the casual college football fan than our 10 combined NCs thanks to ESPN's decision. Personally, I am proud of my alma mater and the BisonNation for a great broadcast.

frozennorth
September 25th, 2013, 01:30 AM
i think last weekend opened some eyes at the mothership. I think if say UM and NDSU were to play for the title, a top5 vs top5 matchup might be enough to bring ESPN to an outstanding locale.

pike51
September 25th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I have had many BCS-level & east coast FCS-level fans & alums comment to me over the past 10 days about the awesomeness from the announcement to how well NDSU & Fargo represented themselves. NDSU has received more national recognition to the casual college football fan than our 10 combined NCs thanks to ESPN's decision. Personally, I am proud of my alma mater and the BisonNation for a great broadcast.

Chattownmocs would like to mention that it's still not as good as hosting the 1AA national championship 14 times. So nanny nanny boo-boo!

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2013, 08:19 AM

There is a lot of truth to this statement. This begs the question that has been beat to death about teams moving up. Is it advantageous or the right move? Very polarizing question and no easy answer in my opinion. For me without a playoff system and nothing but bowls I see no reason to move up. Yes they are talking about some goofy playoff system with 4 teams (to me that's no playoffs) and even if they did that and expanded it to 16 or 20 as they should still a move up with a playoff system as that would mean virtually a zero percent chance for schools like Go.Southern, App, NDSU, Montana to ever sniff a championship. So is a tough nut to crack on the question about moving up but that is another topic so sorry for the thread drift. FCS in my opinion in the eyes of the major networks will always be an afterthought or as they say "off the beaten path" type story for them. As much as I'd love to see more coverage by the major networks it just isn't going to happen. Money drives this train and from a viewers and advertisers perspective we are the "Jefferson's" wanting to move on up. But to ESPN we will always be Fred Sanford and Lamont.

AmsterBison
September 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Wasn't the 2009 Montana-ASU semi-final @ Missoula the highest rated FCS game ever? Montana is the best playoff venue in FCS.

Montana would be a great venue for Game Day. I'm sure Bozeman would be too.

SpeedkingATL
September 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Currently NDSU is a great story and it's a good thing that ESPN recognized it and decided to run with it. Any national recognition FCS can get is a good thing. Also well played by NDSU and their fans!

robsnotes4u
September 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Chattownmocs would like to mention that it's still not as good as hosting the 1AA national championship 14 times. So nanny nanny boo-boo!

My wife went there to watch her Griz in National Championship, she said the only downside was getting flying there from Fargo. A total pain in the ass. I think they flew into somewhere else and had to drive. She did love the town, atmosphere, and the way the people gloated over the Griz.

catamount man
September 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I still couldn't believe it when they were commenting on the UND banners being hung and Herbstreit goes "wait, it's not hockey season." I wonder if this tool even realizes that UND plays football and that UND-NDSU used to be played for the Buffalo Nickel? The throwing us a bone treatment still does nothing. What is needed is one solid tv company DEDICATED to FCS football.

NoDak 4 Ever
September 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I still couldn't believe it when they were commenting on the UND banners being hung and Herbstreit goes "wait, it's not hockey season." I wonder if this tool even realizes that UND plays football and that UND-NDSU used to be played for the Buffalo Nickel? The throwing us a bone treatment still does nothing. What is needed is one solid tv company DEDICATED to FCS football.

Even if it was unintentional, that was probably the BEST line he could have said in regards to the Whioux. That's what we think too.

Even the Whioux fans that showed up were wearing hockey jerseys.