PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week Five

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Elon at Appalachian State
Elon is better this year, but not that much.

ASU by 28 (or more)

Furman at Wofford

Wofford played a heck of a game against a team that is very difficult to gauge - USC. I really hate to try to determine how good or bad a I-AA team is based on how they play against a I-A. I think Wofford is better than last year and this game may depend on how it starts out early. If Furman jumps all over them early (like they did WCU) it could be a blow out. If Wofford can keep it close early the blow out probably will not happen and they have a chance. I am going with Wofford keeping it close but the Paladins pulling away at the end.

Furman by 14.

Chattanooga at the Citadel

This is prime time let down material for Chattanooga. And if I had any evidence that the Citadel could pull off an upset I would pick them. Since I don't have that evidence......

Chattanooga struggles but wins by 10.

Georgia Southern at Western Carolina.

I don’t think either team can overcome two conferences losses and three overall losses this early in the season and still have a prayer at making the playoffs. Preseason I would have picked WCU to win this one. That was before Chatt beat GSU and Furman whooped WCU. This was going to be my SoCon “Shocker” pick. But things change. Western did not look anything like the team I expected pre-season. That might be because my Paladins are much better than I thought. But after last Saturday, I am scratching my head about the Catamounts. Last year Georgia Southern was on the ropes early in the season and hung on to make the playoffs (anybody remember, I think they were 1-2 losing to McNeese and Wofford). I really don’t think they are going to make the playoffs this year, cuz I think they have to win two of these three (ASU , FU and NDSU) and are not going to pull that off. But they are not going to bow out yet.

Georgia Southern by 10 .

gophoenix
September 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Glad everyone is still counting us out. We beat one ranked team, the one team we barely lost to now is ranked and beating good schools. And we shut out one of the top DII programs.

We won't beat App, but its not going to be like this Gardner Webb game they just played.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Furman at Wofford: This is my trap game for the year. Wofford is very tough at home and always seems to upset at least one team a year (though it is somewhat annually for the Eagles). One WC poster on their board stated that the key to their game will be 1) Stop Felton, 2) Stop Felton, 3) Stop Felton and then pray that Gipson, Gray, and Stepp don't kill us. I actually like that analysis. The Terriers have had two weeks to prepare, but I still don't think that's enough for all that Furman will throw at them.

Paladins 27 - Terriers 17

Georgia Southern at Western Carolina: Tricky to call this one. Both should be ready to play after somewhat embarrassing losses on the road. Western has more to play for this year, I think, but I don't see the Eagles dropping two in a row. Western will play em tough at home, but I have to go with Southern.

Eagles 24 - Catamounts 20

Elon at Appalachian State: Elon has made some great strides this season. However, to waltz into Boone and score a victory will be tough sledding. Armanti Edwards gets his first taste of a decent defense as App. State pulls away late.

Mountaineers 27 - Elon 10

Chattanooga at The Citadel: Tough turnaround game for the Mocs. El Cid is no cupcake in Charleston, but UTC is playing some inspired football at the moment. They will take a win in this one though, as OL FU said, it probably won't be pretty.

Mocs 28 - Bulldogs 13

WCUFLALUM
September 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know how serious the injuries were from Saturday night in Greenville but, without a DL that can stop the run I am afraid the Georgia So. game could be another loss. The Furman game was horrible. Western didn't look anything like the team I thought could be the BIG surprise of the SoCon prior to last weekend.

Eaglegus2
September 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know how serious the injuries were from Saturday night in Greenville but, without a DL that can stop the run I am afraid the Georgia So. game could be another loss. The Furman game was horrible. Western didn't look anything like the team I thought could be the BIG surprise of the SoCon prior to last weekend.

The actual key to the game will be the ability to kick XP's & FG's.

Don't let GSU's inability to stop the run fool you. WCU didn't actual stop Furman on the ground.

Your key is to throw the ball on the Eagles inexperienced secondary. This is the major weakness of the defense.

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Everyone in the SoCon be wary of the Big Two in 2006! :bawling:

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I am sorry but I just don't know how GSU is going to overtake WCU at home, they will be pissed after getting beatdown at Paladin Stadium.

youwouldno
September 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Furman at Wofford: This is a tough game to predict. Furman is the better team but Ayers is an inventive coach and Wofford traditionally plays Furman tough.

But really, I don't think Felton can be stopped. Slowed, yes, but even that requires loading up in the box, and then all kinds of other offensive options present themselves. I just don't see how Wofford can fashion a defensive gameplan that keeps the Paladins under 4 TDs, except to hope for turnovers.

Wofford's offense has looked pretty good so far... Furman is pretty good against the run so it will be interesting to see how successful Wofford is at running the ball.

Furman 34
Wofford 20

Georgia Southern at Western Carolina: WCU is a difficult team to gauge right now. My inclination is to go with GSU because Clark had a solid game against UTC and WCU showed no run defense against Furman, plus now has injury issues. Granted, Furman was at home and has a better O-line than GSU, but GSU should move the ball OK.

Swygert played a good game against Furman, not that it mattered. For WCU to stay in the game, he will have to play well and WCU's O-line will have to step up and open lanes for Fudge and Malone, who were shut down by the Paladins. WCU has a special teams advantage, although they didn't really do that well against Furman.

GSU 30
WCU 23

Elon at Appalachian State: Elon is not bad, but I wouldn't say they're too good either. On the other hand, I think Elon's defense has a chance to slow down App St a bit. To keep it close, Elon probably will need a few big plays, i.e. TOs, kick returns, etc.

App St 24
Elon 13

Chattanooga at The Citadel: I think UTC takes this. It should be somewhat close but the Citadel lacks the WRs to make full use of their offensive system and good QB. An upset is possible but I'd say UTC is a 3:1 favorite.

UTC 24
El Cid 17

note: I'm really skeptical all four road teams will win. I think there's a high chance one home team wins and a good chance 2 do. I'd rank the likelihood in this order: El Cid, WCU, Wofford, Elon.

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Glad everyone is still counting us out. We beat one ranked team, the one team we barely lost to now is ranked and beating good schools. And we shut out one of the top DII programs.

We won't beat App, but its not going to be like this Gardner Webb game they just played.

Thanks for the compliment, but I am not everyone:D

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I agree with the general consensus on here about everything except for the GSU/WCU game. I see WCU pulling a small upset at home and putting what will likely amount to the final nail in GSU's 2006 playoff chances. I think Elon will keep it within 4 TDs, Chatty will manage to pull out a close one with El Cid, and Furman will defeat Woffy by 2-3 TDs.

Baldy
September 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Georgia Southern at Western Carolina: WCU is a difficult team to gauge right now. My inclination is to go with GSU because Clark had a solid game against UTC and WCU showed no run defense against Furman, plus now has injury issues. Granted, Furman was at home and has a better O-line than GSU, but GSU should move the ball OK.

Moving the ball hasn't been GSU's problem, afterall we do have the #1 offense in the SoCon. I also don't agree with your assessment that Furman has the best O-Line in the conference. Eventhough Furman has played one more game, the Paladins average 200 yards per game rushing, GSU 250+ yards per game...4.8 per carry for Furman 5.4 per carry for GSU, Furman has allowed 4 sacks to GSU's 2.

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Moving the ball hasn't been GSU's problem, afterall we do have the #1 offense in the SoCon. I also don't agree with your assessment that Furman has the best O-Line in the conference. Eventhough Furman has played one more game, the Paladins average 200 yards per game rushing, GSU 250+ yards per game...4.8 per carry for Furman 5.4 per carry for GSU, Furman has allowed 4 sacks to GSU's 2.

To hell with that, who is going to win, GSU or WCU:p :D

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM

I think that argument can be made in part, however, I don't agree. Furman has played a very good defense in JSU, one of the top defenses in DII West Ga, an ACC school, and a pretty decent Western team. GSU, conversely, has played a porous Coastal team, CCSU, and a UTC team who, by their own admission, doesn't have a good defense.

It doesn't take a stat guru to see that the level of competition on the defensive side of the ball isn't the same. If you'd watched Furman's oline just push around UNC like rag dolls, you might have a different opinion.

Granted, GSU has a fine front. There was a lot of talk from Eagle fans that they were the "top oline in the country." That's a big exaggeration. I am just waiting to see what they do against a good defense (as they haven't faced one yet)

You do, however, have the top center in the conference.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
and a UTC team who, by their own admission, doesn't have a good defense.

Sorry, no one up here is "admitting" the Mocs don't have a good defense...is it an iron curtain? No. But for three straight years the defense has made steady improvement and that trend continues so far this season

thru 4 games:
2004: 56 ppg
2005: 37 ppg
2006: 23.5 ppg

The biggest difference is rush defense...Chattanooga was one of the absolute worst rush D's in the nation the last 2 years, so far this year it is a much more respectable 44th (130.8 ypg)

It also should be pointed out that Chattanooga's defense (and offense :)) spent it's first three games on the road...with 2 of the 3 being tough venues for any squad to visit (@ WKU, @ Memphis)

I am not claiming the Mocs might have the best defense in the league...or even the 2nd best...but to say that "by their own admission" they are not very good is just erroneous. :)

bobbythekidd
September 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Steady improvement in all teams in the socon, save maybe one. Furman is better than I had anticipaated. Elon, Wafford, and UTC have much improved. I should note I thought Wafford has been under-appriciated for a long time.
Things are really shaking up amongst us this season. I can't make a prediction on anything, other than the obvious, Furman and App. are going to be at each like stink on poo!

Baldy
September 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I think that argument can be made in part, however, I don't agree. Furman has played a very good defense in JSU, one of the top defenses in DII West Ga, an ACC school, and a pretty decent Western team. GSU, conversely, has played a porous Coastal team, CCSU, and a UTC team who, by their own admission, doesn't have a good defense.

It doesn't take a stat guru to see that the level of competition on the defensive side of the ball isn't the same. If you'd watched Furman's oline just push around UNC like rag dolls, you might have a different opinion.

Granted, GSU has a fine front. There was a lot of talk from Eagle fans that they were the "top oline in the country." That's a big exaggeration. I am just waiting to see what they do against a good defense (as they haven't faced one yet)

You really think the competition is all that different? We have only faced 3 opponents to your four, but our opponents have 7 combined wins compared to your opponents' 4.

Furman put up some sick yardage against UNC, but then again, UNC is absolutely horrible and everyone they've played has pushed them around. On the other hand, when you consider FU barely broke the 300 yard plateau against Jax State and a Western Carolina squad coupled with a pitiful 260 yard performance against an 0-3 DII, it makes the UNC performance seem like an aberration.

You say our offense hasn't faced a good defense yet. That may be the case, but your defense hasn't faced a good offense yet, either. Not quite sure about UNC. They did put 45 on the board against you guys, but has struggled to score against I-A teams....well they did score 16 in their loss to Rutgers.

FU97
September 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
You really think the competition is all that different? We have only faced 3 opponents to your four, but our opponents have 7 combined wins compared to your opponents' 4.

Furman put up some sick yardage against UNC, but then again, UNC is absolutely horrible and everyone they've played has pushed them around. On the other hand, when you consider FU barely broke the 300 yard plateau against Jax State and a Western Carolina squad coupled with a pitiful 260 yard performance against an 0-3 DII, it makes the UNC performance seem like an aberration.

You say our offense hasn't faced a good defense yet. That may be the case, but your defense hasn't faced a good offense yet, either. Not quite sure about UNC. They did put 45 on the board against you guys, but has struggled to score against I-A teams....well they did score 16 in their loss to Rutgers.

While we "only" gained 300 yards vs WCU, our starting offense scored touchdowns on their only 6 drives of the game. They never even came close to stopping us. Once we were up 42-7, we called off the dogs and ran the subs in the rest of the game.

Frankly I don't think the game was as close as the score and stats seem to indicate.

The Cats
September 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM
While we "only" gained 300 yards vs WCU, our starting offense scored touchdowns on their only 6 drives of the game. They never even came close to stopping us. Once we were up 42-7, we called off the dogs and ran the subs in the rest of the game.

Frankly I don't think the game was as close as the score and stats seem to indicate.

No excuses, FU kicked some butt. No doubt it could have been worse, with our defensive line out of the game with injuries (none of the linemen were able to return to the game). My hats off to Coach Lamb for not attempting to run up the score, that shows some class in my book. On that particular night, our starting DL could not stop (or even slow) Felton & Co, no way could the subs handle the job.

Baldy
September 25th, 2006, 07:08 PM

I understand, BUT your first two scoring drives ate up a total of 22 yards, so it looks as though WCU started out in a quick 14-0 hole.....

youwouldno
September 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM
It's not something you can see in the stats. The fact that Furman had good field position a lot does not change the fact that the O-line was totally dominant. Furman has a ton of depth, beyond having a strong starting group.

We'll see what happens when Furman and GSU face off.

Appdad
September 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM

??? West Georgia lost to the Blue Hose 10-0. The Blue Hose lost to Elon 28-0

You have a really good football team but there is a lot of season to be played.

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2006, 08:44 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ErkPeterson/GSU/catVSeagle.jpg
9-30-06
ITS ON!!!!
xlolx

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM
^^stolen from tscsports.com post^^

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Ok then, we'll wait until the last game of the season. If we outgain the Eagles, we'll call FU's oline better. If GSU you outgains us, I'll first eat my hat, and then will concede Southern's superior line.

catamount man
September 25th, 2006, 09:15 PM
GSU-16
WCU-28

Yes, Furman kicked our ass. We start the game off trying to be cute with reverses and such inside our own 10 and it cost us bad. Not to mention Jerome was on and FU badly wanted this one. I can't see Briggs and staff trying to get cute with GSU, a night game in what should be a COOL game, look for temps in the 50s more than likely, and a chance to beat 1 of the big 3 in 3 consecutive years. No disrespect at all to GSU, but I see us bouncing back with the score above being the outcome.

FURMAN-34
WOFFORD-24

Always a tough matchup, but NOBODY in the SoCon is getting Furman this year.

CHATTANOOGA-31
CITADEL-17

Mocs keep climbing.

ELON-20
ASU-35

Emotion keeps the Phoenix in this one. I swear it seems like Elon hates Apps more than we do. HA!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gophoenix
September 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Emotion keeps the Phoenix in this one. I swear it seems like Elon hates Apps more than we do. HA!

Sometimes I think App hates Elon more than Western, for other reasons than a rivalry. But that's what starts a rivalry too, especially if the games start being competitive. The jury is still out on us.

Word has it that Elon has a few bus loads of students coming up plus a bunch of alumni tickets have been sold too. We'll see if it helps having a good road crowd for us. Should be another big draw for App because it is homecoming.

I think our D overall is worse than last year because of our new scheme (that benched some of our good players for last year). But we shall see. What App saw of us last season was a team (And fans) that had given up. That game was about the worst I have seen an Elon team play in 14 years. Here's to hoping for the new era to make a more competitive mark.

Baldy
September 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Ok then, we'll wait until the last game of the season. If we outgain the Eagles, we'll call FU's oline better. If GSU you outgains us, I'll first eat my hat, and then will concede Southern's superior line.
Bring salt and pepper...and maybe some BBQ sauce. xlolx

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
??? West Georgia lost to the Blue Hose 10-0. The Blue Hose lost to Elon 28-0

You have a really good football team but there is a lot of season to be played.

It wasn't a comment about UWG's team, only their defense. Their offense sucks something awful. Their defense is very good though. Heck, I think Felton only managed one against them. Outside of a 67 yrd break away by Gipson, the Wolves held us in check much of the evening.

ASU Kep
September 26th, 2006, 02:10 AM

As a rule, we here at ASU generally hate all purple teams and those schools whose mascots are theoretically capable of flight. That about sums it up:

Furman - check (purple)
WCU - check (purple)
GSU - check (eagles can fly)
UNI - check (purple)
JMU - check (purple)
Elon - check (mythical BIRD of rebirth or whatever)
UTC - ? (can the bird on the train fly? Is the bird the mascot, or the train? :confused: )
Coastal - While a fighting beach chicken is not capable of sustained flight, it has wings; and thus we hate them too. :splat: :asswhip:

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2006, 03:13 AM
scrappy is a mockingbird, the state bird of tennessee
...he will peck your eye out!

if that doesn't work, he'll just run over your *** with the train :D

chattanooga mocs,
the fightin' train ridin' feathered injun snake shoes!

atlGAmocs
September 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
ASU vs Elon - Mountaineers are the Kings and will continue until someone knocks them off the throne. App 37 Elon 7

Citadel at Chattanooga - Mocs really need to win to keep the momentum going. A win in Charleston will have the faithful talking about upsets the following week. Who is the QB? It may be the dreaded two headed monster. Regardless i think Mocs bring home win # 3 UTC 34 Citadel 21

Furman at Wofford - I don't think this will be as close as other posters...
FU 42 Woff 6

GSU at WCU - GOTW The loser of this game will likely end their playoff aspirations. Who responds better to disappointing losses. WCU didn't show up and GSU kicked away a win. I don't know about WCU's defensive situation so i have to go with GSU.
GSU 35 - WCU 17

OL FU
September 26th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I know Elon fans get offended by this somewhat but I doubt that you could find an educated SoCon fan that does not think and believe that the Phoenix are much better this year.

This game is at Kidd Brewer. If it wasn't predictions might be a little different. Not the outcome, but the scoring differential. Rome, my friends, was not built in a day:smiley_wi

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I can't see App. hanging 37 on Elon. I can see Elon scoring only 7, but Elon's defense should give Edwards a rough day.

Why, again, isn't Elder starting? I know it's been discussed, but it seems Elder is your ticket to a repeat. I just don't see a freshman taking a team all the way.

ButlerGSU
September 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Who knows what will happen in week five. GSU fans are hoping we don't pull out the gun again and shoot ourselfs in the foot.

WCU 24
GSU 30 (5 TD's, 5 missed extra points)

Furman 42
Woffie 17

App 63
Elon 14

Cit 10
UTC 34

BULLDOG8180
September 26th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I can't see App. hanging 37 on Elon. I can see Elon scoring only 7, but Elon's defense should give Edwards a rough day.

Why, again, isn't Elder starting? I know it's been discussed, but it seems Elder is your ticket to a repeat. I just don't see a freshman taking a team all the way.

I think it has to do with getting your most talented football players on the field, not your most experienced. How else are your most talented going to get experience?

I'm sure Coach Moore will continue to evaluate the situation, he did manage it fairly well last year. He probably has App. States best interest at heart.:smiley_wi

OL FU
September 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I think it has to do with getting your most talented football players on the field, not your most experienced. How else are your most talented going to get experience?

I'm sure Coach Moore will continue to evaluate the situation, he did manage it fairly well last year. He probably has App. States best interest at heart.:smiley_wi

8180. Are you from Greenwood?

AppGuy04
September 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Who knows what will happen in week five. GSU fans are hoping we don't pull out the gun again and shoot ourselfs in the foot.

WCU 24
GSU 30 (5 TD's, 5 missed extra points)

Furman 42
Woffie 17

App 63
Elon 14

Cit 10
UTC 34

you really think we can put up 63 on Nkang and co.?

AndrewFU21
September 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Jerome told my buddy at a party Saturday night that he was going for 50 TD's this year. I know I'm not gonna be the one to try and stop him:p .

I think this could be a very tough game for us however. This is a rivalry that WoCo has always taken more seriously than FU, and they will no doubt be up for the game and have had two weeks to prepare for our new look offense. Likewise, a letdown would be understandable after for FU after the WCU game. I think this will be the kind of game where the defense sets the tone early, and our running game wears down the Terriers. I'll take the Paladins by 7-10 points in somewhat of a low scoring affair.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I'm sure he does, but Elder did play well in a semifinal game against a very good Furman team and then played in an NC game. Edwards has started against a DII team and a mediocre BSC school. I'm anxious to see how he does against, IMO, the SoCon's third best defense.

PaladinFan
September 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Jerome told my buddy at a party Saturday night that he was going for 50 TD's this year. I know I'm not gonna be the one to try and stop him:p .

I think this could be a very tough game for us however. This is a rivalry that WoCo has always taken more seriously than FU, and they will no doubt be up for the game and have had two weeks to prepare for our new look offense. Likewise, a letdown would be understandable after for FU after the WCU game. I think this will be the kind of game where the defense sets the tone early, and our running game wears down the Terriers. I'll take the Paladins by 7-10 points in somewhat of a low scoring affair.

No let downs should be understandable. Not with this team. Too much experience, too many good players, too much big game experience.

FU97
September 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I understand, BUT your first two scoring drives ate up a total of 22 yards, so it looks as though WCU started out in a quick 14-0 hole.....

Correct, one short drive due to a 3 and out followed by a long punt return (with penalty tacked on) and the second due to a fumble recovery. After the first two scores, WCU did score to make it 14-7. Furman then went on to have 4 consecutive "long" TD drives with its starters. After one series in the 2nd half, the offensive and defensive starters were resting.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I'm surprised that no one is really giving UTC credit for their win, especially GSU people. Plus Citadel doesn't look too hot. UTC wins big....
UTC: 34
Citadel: 10

I'm not all that impressed with WCU's offense after last week. I give Furman credit for all the points they put up, but the defense aint was UTC's was.
GSU: 31
WCU 14

App: 28
Elon: 6

Wofford gives Furman a fight, but they will be outdone by Furman's superior O.

Furman 38
Wofford 20

AndrewFU21
September 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM
No let downs should be understandable. Not with this team. Too much experience, too many good players, too much big game experience.

I'm not necessarily talking about a mental letdown. What I'm saying is, it's unlikely that we will play as well as we did last week. Also, while we do have some big game experience, don't forget how many young guys that are getting major playing time this year.

BULLDOG8180
September 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM
8180. Are you from Greenwood?

yes

BULLDOG8180
September 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'm sure he does, but Elder did play well in a semifinal game against a very good Furman team and then played in an NC game. Edwards has started against a DII team and a mediocre BSC school. I'm anxious to see how he does against, IMO, the SoCon's third best defense.

I'm sure a lot of the App. St. faithful, in addition to Herman folks are interested in how he does against better defenses. Elon, 3rd best defense?

ASU Kep
September 26th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Elon is not the 3rd bet defense in the league. An argument for 4th best could be made but IMO not third. Nkang is incredible and there has been some improvement around him from last year, but it's still nearly a one man show.

youwouldno
September 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Who would you have 3rd? App St is obviously better than Elon defensively, Furman most probably is. But after that I don't see a bright line between any other team and Elon.

tralfangar
September 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Nooga 17 - 7
Western 21-20 (kicking game fails again)
Furman rolls 38-17 (best team in the SoCon right now IMO)

App wins, but I think it'll be a lot closer than many of you expect, especially in the first half. We always seem to underperform in homecoming games because it's a "lesser" opponent, and the crowd is never really "in" the game, they're just there for social time. Elon is coming to win this game, I guarantee you. I hope we win big, but I feel that Armanti is in for a wakeup call. App 24-14, with at least one defensive touchdown.

BULLDOG8180
September 26th, 2006, 10:13 PM
App. St. 31-14
I think Armanti will rise to the occasion. He may have a few bad plays, but he will follow them up with great plays. He is not a typical freshman, I think Coach Moore sees that. He has his weaknesses right now, he struggles with a few throws, misses a few reads, but he has the uncanny ability to make the big plays. Just watch and be glad you have him at App. St.

Furman 28-14
I think Renaldo will rise to the occasion, too! (Love those Greenwood boys!). Jeremy Blocker will have a huge game on defense, pick off one of 4 passes that Wofford throws, and leads the team in tackles.

GSU 26-20
Western still reeling from loss to Furman. (And no Greenwood boys)

Upset Special
El Cid 24-21
Tanner Jordan gets shot at long snapping, puts them all on the money, 3 XP and one FG, that proves to be the margin of victory. Defense steps up and trottles the Mocs, who were caught still enjoying their victory last week. The Dogs can be tough in Charleston.

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM
In 19 contests at the Charleston, Chattanooga and The Citadel have split right down the middle 9-9-1 (though UC leads overall, 23-12-2)

Four of the last five game (except 2004...the worst defensive team in Mocs history) have been gut checks....a bunch of close contests:

2004 CIT 44-24
2002 UC 34-31 (3)
2000 UC 20-13 (7)
1998 UC 13-10 (3)
1996 CIT 16-13 (3)

I have a feeling this Saturday will be more of the same.

So I am going to flip 8180's score and say Mocs by 3! 24-21

Don't think for a second that the Mocs coaching staff isn't drilling into the players heads all week that the GSU game is over...the ONLY game that matters is the one in Charleston on Saturday afternoon.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I see no reason not to say Elon has the thrid best defense in the conference. I think Appalachian and Furman are 1,2 (in debatable order) and then it somewhat of a hodgepodge.

In my book, they are just as much a legitimate defense as anyone else. Offense, however, is another story.

Baldy
September 27th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I see no reason not to say Elon has the thrid best defense in the conference. I think Appalachian and Furman are 1,2 (in debatable order) and then it somewhat of a hodgepodge.
Furman having the #2 defense (App has the best) in the conference is highly debatable, itself.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Of course it's all in the air, but I don't think you can say any other team has performed better defensively this year than those two.

Furman's D allowed 6 pts to JSU, 0 to UWG, quite a bit to UNC, and 7 to WCU. So far, Furman's offense has surrendered 14 points and the defense only 13 against non D-IA teams. Take that for what it's worth.

nick9c
September 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Here are my picks for the week...
UTC: 21
Citadel: 17
UTC is an up and comer in the SOCON, but barely musters enough strength to get by in an away game.

WCU: 28
GSU: 24
If this game weren't at WCU, I'd probably give the edge to GSU. I wasn't impressed with WCU's offense last weekend, but I think Briggs will turn things around this weekend if WCU avoids turnovers. GSU is still a team in disarray despite some good individual performers.

App: 35
Elon: 21
App State comes away with a win in the 2nd half, but Elon keeps it close in the first half of play. Elon is not a team to take lightly.

Furman: 31
Wofford: 28
Wofford always plays Furman tough at home and this one won't be any different. Beckler wins this one on a late FG. Wofford and UTC will compete for a playoff spot at year-end.

citdog
September 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Saturday will be a special day for The Citadel and the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets. The Citadel will retire the Jersey number of Mark Buoniconti, son of Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame linebacker Nick, who was paralyzed from the neck down during a game at ETSU in 1985. The emotions will be high and the 'Dogs will feed of of them and the Corps to beat the 'Mocs 24-17.

gophoenix
September 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
App 63
Elon 14
That's the kind of prediction that cracks me up. If App didn't do it last year at their peak and at Elon's utter low Elon has been at, then it's not going to happen any time soon. App has a great D, but their offense is nowhere near what it was last year and we are nowhere close to being a one man show on D anymore.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Saturday will be a special day for The Citadel and the football playing members of The South Carolina Corps of Cadets. The Citadel will retire the Jersey number of Mark Buoniconti, son of Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame linebacker Nick, who was paralyzed from the neck down during a game at ETSU in 1985. The emotions will be high and the 'Dogs will feed of of them and the Corps to beat the 'Mocs 24-17.

That's really sad:(

ASU Kep
September 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
That's the kind of prediction that cracks me up. If App didn't do it last year at their peak and at Elon's utter low Elon has been at, then it's not going to happen any time soon. App has a great D, but their offense is nowhere near what it was last year and we are nowhere close to being a one man show on D anymore.

I agree that the prediction is BS. There is absolutely NO WAY Elon hangs 14 on our defense Saturday. :D

Appdad
September 28th, 2006, 09:09 PM

The reason 63 wasn't scored on you last year is because of Coach Moore. Coach Moore, Coach Lamb, Coach Ayers (when he has a great team) don't rub it in because they don't have to. they do not have mythical polls they have to climb to qualify for a bowl.

BULLDOG8180
September 28th, 2006, 10:34 PM
That's really sad:(

While it was sad when Marc was injured over 20 years ago, this is really a happy time.
Marc has been separated because of the high emotions on both sides that resulted from his injury. But this is really a celebration for the entire Citadel family because Marc is finally coming home!