PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga=class

SuperEagle
September 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM
despite our painful loss, I wanted to give some major props to the class that the Mocs displayed yesterday.
Before the game, they did a moment of silence for Erk and Teddy Craft, our fallen heroes. It's was very nice of them to do that. Showed a ton of class on their part.
And then they followed that with a prayer. I've never heard a prayer done before a college football game. I loved it. So Moc Nation, thank you for that. More schools should do that.
I was very impressed. Good luck the rest of the year and I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

gsugt1
September 24th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I agree :thumbsup:

Tod
September 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
That was very, very classy, indeed. :thumbsup:

blukeys
September 24th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Congrats Mocs!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Very classy gesture.

Thank You Super Eagle for bringing it to our attention. :nod: :nod:

KJ Eagle
September 24th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I also agree. It was a great gestrure.

Their band had a few typical "fans" in it. And we had a few typical "fans" giving them some grief during the starting line-ups, but nothing that bad.

FU97
September 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM
despite our painful loss, I wanted to give some major props to the class that the Mocs displayed yesterday.
Before the game, they did a moment of silence for Erk and Teddy Craft, our fallen heroes. It's was very nice of them to do that. Showed a ton of class on their part.
And then they followed that with a prayer. I've never heard a prayer done before a college football game. I loved it. So Moc Nation, thank you for that. More schools should do that.
I was very impressed. Good luck the rest of the year and I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

Furman has a prayer before every home game.

LarryBoy
September 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that Furman being a private school has something to do with that. I've never heard a prayer before a game at a state school. I'm not sure if Chatt does that normally at home games, but it's nice to hear.

ASU Kep
September 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Yah, I remember last year Furman has a prayer before our game for an ASU athlete killed in a car crash the night before on her way home. I think she played field hockey. I was very impressed.

walliver
September 25th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that Furman being a private school has something to do with that. I've never heard a prayer before a game at a state school. I'm not sure if Chatt does that normally at home games, but it's nice to hear.

I can't think of a college game I have attended that didn't have a prayer before the game (including Clemson and South Carolina).

The court rulings that ban prayer before high school games, and which are frequently ignored if no-one complains about the prayer, do not apply to public colleges. College is apparently seen as more optional than high school, and the court-defined separation of church and state is much less strict.

RadMann
September 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Doing it for a special occurance like the GSU situation was a great gesture. Doing it before every game? I have not seen it before and don't really like the idea but we each are entitled to our own opinion.

Dane96
September 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM

That would be shut down in two seconds. Heck, this is college, students protest over anything. NO WAY would prayer be allowed before a State University game.

It would have to be unique, like GSU holding one, and you would need to satisfy ALL types of groups.

Harkens memories of one of my all-time favorite rainy day movies, P.C.U.

Dane96
September 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I can't think of a college game I have attended that didn't have a prayer before the game (including Clemson and South Carolina).

The court rulings that ban prayer before high school games, and which are frequently ignored if no-one complains about the prayer, do not apply to public colleges. College is apparently seen as more optional than high school, and the court-defined separation of church and state is much less strict.

Ummm...dont know where you got that from...but if you took a bar exam...you would fail that question.

All state schools are federally funded...and the law is VERY CLEAR about public funds intermingling with religion.

Both the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment apply to the states under the 14th Amendment.

The Establishement Clause would apply here. You can fund school books...but not prayer. Difference is, this action by UTC would NOT be considered prayer, rather it would be a memorial. THIS...is legal.
Why? Because the message was not promoting religion, rather a man's life.

Straight up prayer, even given by a student, prior to a game violates the establishement clause because the purpose is to encourage religious messages...A NO, NO!! (our opinions aside)!
That being said, if Albany had played GSU, I would hope we would have found a way, even as a state school, to do what UTC did.

GaSouthern
September 25th, 2006, 12:35 PM
good job moc's you deserve it!

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Well, Furman's a private Christian-oriented school so they can get away with it. As for the publics, a moment of silence for situations like what GSU has gone through lately IMO would be a good thing to do.

UCABEARS75
September 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Way to go mocs, very classy indeed.

CSU BUCS
September 26th, 2006, 07:29 AM
That would be shut down in two seconds. Heck, this is college, students protest over anything. NO WAY would prayer be allowed before a State University game.

It would have to be unique, like GSU holding one, and you would need to satisfy ALL types of groups.

Harkens memories of one of my all-time favorite rainy day movies, P.C.U.

My father has been a season ticket holder at South Carolina for 28 years and I've been to many many many games at Williams Brice. They always pray before the games, and it's a state school.

Dane96
September 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
NM

chattanoogamocs
September 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I wanted to make sure this info was correct before I posted.

(Well first, thanks for the kind words...I got a lump in my throat during the memorial too...and all the military comemoration at the half too)

I knew that I had heard prayers before, but sometimes I miss pre-game (you can't hear the PA guy very well in the press box) so I was not sure if we did it every game.

So I asked a staff member today and he told me that, yes, we do say a prayer before each game and that it is led by the team chaplain.

I suppose that this might be a "leftover" from Chattanooga's private school days (Methodist-Episcopal affiliation).

Dabnus Brickey
September 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Is it just me or do you hear so many more good things coming out of D I-AA than D I right now?

dungeonjoe
September 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wofford has pre-game prayers; I have even led it once or twice.

What made the Chatt. gesture so graceful was the fact it was a GSU grief and loss of weeks earlier; the night before I could understand; it was very classy (and from my perspective appropriate), to have it that many weeks later.