PDA

View Full Version : Week Four Attendance Figures

JMU Duke Dog
September 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Please post how many people were in attendance for your school's game this week.

JMU Duke Dog
September 24th, 2006, 10:50 AM
14,806 in Bridgeforth Stadium for Northeastern at James Madison

GoGuins
September 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
16,155 "paid" for YSU-UC Davis

Actual-about 10k butts in seats

FlyYtown
September 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM
A really rough weekend for Northeast teams. Yes, it was raining, but it's still fairly warm out and many teams are doing very well.......yet attendance is still abysmal:

Stony Brook at UMass: 9,001 (decent, but still way down from the old days and UMass is good! :confused: : smh :)
UNH at Dartmouth: 7,023 (the game was played in the State of NH :confused: : smh :)
Shaw at Maine: 4,468 (1st home game and last until mid-Oct. :confused: : smh :)
Delaware at URI: 2,577 (Unfortunately, typical :confused: : smh :)
Central Connecticut at Albany: 2,427 (Big game, small crowd :confused: : smh :)

Tribe4SF
September 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM
W&M 10,208. Many did not come into game apparently, as tickets reportedly sold out about two hours before kickoff.

griz&beer
September 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Griz vs Sac. State 23,6??

RadMann
September 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM
A10 overall attendence really falls a lot when UD plays on the road... ;)

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM
What is Dartmouth's capacity now? Everyone knew that Ball had a shot at the reocrd, and he's from Vermont (right across the river from Hanover)......all that and a #1 ranking with all of the publicity from the Northwestern win. What gives UNH fans???

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Only 8500 or so showed up at Brown for the key clash with Harvard. Penn-Villanova attracted over 22,000 at Franklin Field.

UNHFan99
September 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
UNH at Dartmouth: 7,023 (the game was played in the State of NH )
I think the weather played a toll in the attendance of the Granite Bowl. Although the weather held up for the game it was pooring down buckets all over Vermont and NH all morning before the game. Plus the game was televised on WMUR a station that covers the whole state. Alot of people stayed in to watch it rather than make the two hour drive from Durham and possibly sit in the rain to watch the third stringers beat on the Big Green. I however went and was somewhat impressed UNH's fan support and disappointed in Dartmouth's lack of support.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
G-W record crowd of 8,490 included between 4,000 and 5,000 Mountaineer faithful

previous mark was 6,311, set in 2004 versus Western Carolina

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I think the weather played a toll in the attendance of the Granite Bowl. Although the weather held up for the game it was pooring down buckets all over Vermont and NH all morning before the game. Plus the game was televised on WMUR a station that covers the whole state. Alot of people stayed in to watch it rather than make the two hour drive from Durham and possibly sit in the rain to watch the third stringers beat on the Big Green. I however went and was somewhat impressed UNH's fan support and disappointed in Dartmouth's lack of support.

Big problem at Maine too is having every home game televised :mad:. People are so lame these days......does anyone like spending any time outside anymore :confused: Hope that the athletic departments are making more money off from televising the games, because they are hurting attendance BIG TIME!

Coastal89
September 24th, 2006, 03:35 PM
9287 for SCSU@CCU yesterday, a new record for Brooks Stadium. Last years 8533 for the JMU@CCU game was the old record. I'm betting the FU@CCU game in 2 weeks will set another record.

rmutv
September 24th, 2006, 03:49 PM
1,642 fans showed up at Joe Walton Stadium in Moon Township, Pennsylvania to watch Robert Morris host D-3 powerhouse Rowan.

Capacity is 3,000.

Weather was predicted to be awful, with rain, wind, and thunderstorms forecast. Most of that missed the area, but still threatened.

UAalum72
September 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Central Connecticut at Albany: 2,427 (Big game, small crowd :confused: : smh :)
Rained all morning (but it did for Fordham too), and the game was on local TV, and CCSU brought only 400 at most, but mainly I'd guess a lot of students headed home for the Rosh Hashanah weekend.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Paid attendance at Furman was 14,232. I wasn't there but apparently it was a solid crowd.

ccd494
September 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Big problem at Maine too is having every home game televised :mad:. People are so lame these days......does anyone like spending any time outside anymore :confused: Hope that the athletic departments are making more money off from televising the games, because they are hurting attendance BIG TIME!

It was absolutely pouring right at game time, MJ. Pretty chilly too, mid 50's or so. Add in a terrible opponent, and you get what you get.

PS... and just for your info (I don't think anyone else cares), but the day George Hale and Walt Abbot both kick the bucket, TV ratings are going to skyrocket. Those senile old fools render the TV broadcast unwatchable.

LarryBoy
September 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Paid attendance at Furman was 14,232. I wasn't there but apparently it was a solid crowd.

It was a solid crowd. General admission side was 95% full...hard to tell who was who with the two purple teams and the lack of reason to cheer for Western fans, but I would say that Western made up 1/4 to 1/3 of that side, which seats 5,000-6,000. Whenever that side is full, that means a lot more than just the faithful came.

Anyways, perfect weather for football, and a lot of enthusiasm from Paladin fans well through the 3rd quarter, then the backups came in. Still, a lot stuck around and enjoyed the rest of the game.

Out of curiosity, how much does Brooks seat, Coastal fans?

Coastal89
September 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Out of curiosity, how much does Brooks seat
Officially, 7312 but there's standing room for another 3000 to 5000 on the hill and platforms built into the stands that are normally for handicapped.

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM

mj, every Griz game is televised, and they still sell out. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product? :o

Tod
September 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
mj, every Griz game is televised, and they still sell out. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the product? :o

oooooooooooh. :eek:

GrizzlyEdd
September 24th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Griz vs Sac. State 23,6??

I'm thinking it was 23,637

BearsCountry
September 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Missouri State had 10,490 against Sam Houston St.

Golden Eagle
September 25th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Tennessee Tech had about 9,100 for our Thursday night smackdown of EKU.

AndrewFU21
September 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
It was a solid crowd. General admission side was 95% full...hard to tell who was who with the two purple teams and the lack of reason to cheer for Western fans, but I would say that Western made up 1/4 to 1/3 of that side, which seats 5,000-6,000. Whenever that side is full, that means a lot more than just the faithful came.

Anyways, perfect weather for football, and a lot of enthusiasm from Paladin fans well through the 3rd quarter, then the backups came in. Still, a lot stuck around and enjoyed the rest of the game.

Out of curiosity, how much does Brooks seat, Coastal fans?

WCU seemed to have brought a pretty good crowd, and even had a section of students there. The away side was almost totally full, which is fairly unusual. What was surprising is that the home side was only maybe 3/4 of the way full. Either way, there was a very good crowd and an even better performance out of the Paladins.:nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 25th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I don't understand the preference for TV over attending the game either. I've had multiple opportunities the past couple of years to sit in my easy chair and watch UNH, but have always opted for making the drive to Durham. You just can't beat the experience of watching the game live. TV really doesn't do justice to the atmosphere at a game. And you don't get to visit friends and share the experience from that easy chair. And one doesn't get to stop at Newick's on the way home either!! xlolx xlolx

But you set up the VCR so you can watch it again!! :nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 25th, 2006, 09:34 AM
What is Dartmouth's capacity now? Everyone knew that Ball had a shot at the reocrd, and he's from Vermont (right across the river from Hanover)......all that and a #1 ranking with all of the publicity from the Northwestern win. What gives UNH fans???

Dartmouth's capacity is now 13K. From all accounts there was a pretty good UNH contingent at the game. You've got to remember that UNH is rebuilding the football support. You start with the home attendance then hopefully the road trips follow. But with rain in the forecast and the game being televised then TV is going to win in most cases. I'd say that rain, or the threat of rain, kept the crowd size down.

Another factor I know of is my own. I had to choose games in September, I couldn't attend all of them. So, based on the competition and experience, I chose Northwestern and Delaware. Frankly, I expected that decision would result in me missing David Ball tying and breaking the 50 TD record. And another factor for other folks that picked those games to attend is the expense. I could have attended multiple road games for what I spent going to Chicago for the weekend. It was money well spent, but for many it will limit road trips and for some trips to Durham to watch home games.

AppGuy04
September 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
After week 4 :http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2006/Internet/attendance/IAA_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

jstate83
September 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
JSU.....................28,713
It's getting back to where it should be. :thumbsup:

ccd494
September 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM

I think it has to do with a crappy opponent, lack of buzz about the team (only home game til October), people gearing up for hockey season, the cost of the events (football isn't too expensive, but a lot of people opt to spend their money on hockey tickets), etc.

The product has been great in the recent past (two A-10 title years), but attendance hasn't been great.

I kind of think MJ overstates the TV aspect also. More people go for the social aspect than the game anyways. Plus, you don't see WABI coverage hurting hockey attendance. Additionally, the broadcast is almost unwatchable.

One big factor may be that I can't recall the last time I went to a Maine game that was less than four hours long.

gophoenix
September 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
G-W record crowd of 8,490 included between 4,000 and 5,000 Mountaineer faithful

Why do App fans always say that, when it is never true? Pictures of the G-W game show very few on the grass, a sea of red on the home side and a crowded away side.... which would mean about 6500 G-W fans (what they average) and maybe 2000 Apps, at most.

These are the same people who say that Wofford (how averages 8000) in a game against App that is around 10,000 would have 5-7k Apps. And Elon who averages 8000 in a game where there is 10k (and homecoming) saw about 6k Apps.

Give me a break.

JMU2004
September 25th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Why do App fans always say that, when it is never true? Pictures of the G-W game show very few on the grass, a sea of red on the home side and a crowded away side.... which would mean about 6500 G-W fans (what they average) and maybe 2000 Apps, at most.

These are the same people who say that Wofford (how averages 8000) in a game against App that is around 10,000 would have 5-7k Apps. And Elon who averages 8000 in a game where there is 10k (and homecoming) saw about 6k Apps.

Give me a break.

lol, my thoughts as well.....

AppGuy04
September 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Give me a break.

I was quoting: http://www.goasu.com/article/8951/?fSession=6cfed11fcb56a41652622a96320082011e4bb07f

Take it up with them

OxSoxUNH05
September 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I also made the trip up to Dartmouth getting up at 6:30 and dragging the fiancee.xlolx The whole time up she was actually t.o'd because of the rain, but it all went away :thumbsup: . Now if UNH bussed up student at a minimal fee, that be awesome!

Grizzaholic
September 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I think it has to do with a crappy opponent, lack of buzz about the team (only home game til October), people gearing up for hockey season, the cost of the events (football isn't too expensive, but a lot of people opt to spend their money on hockey tickets), etc.

The product has been great in the recent past (two A-10 title years), but attendance hasn't been great.

I kind of think MJ overstates the TV aspect also. More people go for the social aspect than the game anyways. Plus, you don't see WABI coverage hurting hockey attendance. Additionally, the broadcast is almost unwatchable.

One big factor may be that I can't recall the last time I went to a Maine game that was less than four hours long.

even with the new clock rules?

ccd494
September 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM
even with the new clock rules?

Yep, game started at 2:00, ended at 6:30.

BigApp
September 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Give me a break.

care to post some pics showing this "sea of red"? How about a link? Were you at the game? did you watch it on TV?

How about this. Let's use your numbers. 8500 at the game, right? Using your numbers, you say they average 6500 (their own website, adding in our game says they only total 11,890 this season over 2 games-1st game total 3400, but I digress). Think any of the remaining 6500 were App fans? :confused: :confused:

asu70
September 25th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Give me a break.
This from a person who wasn't even there. I was there and there was certainly more than a few in the grassy area that were App fans. I don't know why you think that you can get a quick glance at a tv shot and make a accurate prediction of how many App fans were at GW. I don't know why you and JMU 2004 would question our attendance figures unless you are simply jealous of our attendance success.

The Cats
September 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM
How can you guys question the defending National Champions???????? Take your place in the corner.

As much as I love seeing someone calling out Appy State.... take it to the smack board.

asu70
September 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
How can you guys question the defending National Champions???????? Take your place in the corner.

As much as I love seeing someone calling out Appy State.... take it to the smack board.
You are so correct Sir.

SoCon48
September 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Give me a break.

Oh brother. I stood in line with a ticket in hand for 20 minutes to get into the "visiting" stands. There were absolutely no GW's anywhere near me and saw precious little red on the bank. To say there were only 2K App fans is pure bull****.
Some idiots still question App's home atendance now even though they're using hand held scanners.:rolleyes:

SoCon48
September 25th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Many happy returns

By Steve Behr

[email protected]

BOILING SPRINGS — It was arguably the biggest game in Gardner-Webb’s history. Certainly hosting the Division I-AA national champion Appalachian State was one of the Runnin’ Bulldogs’ biggest since they made the move to Division I-AA football back in 2000.

It was supposed to be just another game for the Mountaineers. Instead, Dexter Jackson turned it into his own personal showcase.

Jackson returned two punts, back-to-back, for touchdowns. And though Appalachian State was not particularly sharp in other areas, the Mountaineers had more than enough to beat Gardner-Webb 41-6 in front of Spangler Stadium record crowd 8,490, which nearly half were dressed in Mountaineer yellow and gold.

UNHFan99
September 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Maybe games at Maine last so long because when you walk from the visitors locker room it takes a half hour each way to get to the stadium!!!

Just alittle cheapshot at the black bear faithful, but save yourself the trouble of making fun of UNH's stadium. I know our stadium needs alot of work.

UNH SUPERFAN
September 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
ONE THING TO CONSIDER IN VT AND NH IS THAT MOST HIGH SCHOOLS PLAY SATURDAY AFTERNOON UNLIKE IN MOST STATES WHERE HIGH SCHOOLS PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT. THE FOOTBALL FANS IN VERMONT WHO WOULD FOLLOW DAVE BALL ARE AT HOME WATCHING THEIR LOCAL HS TEAM PLAY. THERE WERE 5 FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES LAST WEEKEND, THE REST WERE PLAYED ON SATURDAY. I BELIEVE THAT WAS A FACTOR IN THE UNH - DARTMOUTH ATTENDANCE.

ALSO, THE ATTENDANCE LISTED AT UNH FOR THE STONY BROOK GAME WAS SOMETHING LIKE 7300. THERE WERE MANY MORE THAN THAT THERE. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY COUNTED BUT I'M GUESSING THERE WAS MORE LIKE 9000 WATCHING THAT GAME.

SoCon48
September 26th, 2006, 09:57 PM
If they can't count the tickets sold or through the gate, I'd call for an investigation for embezling. Why else would anyone dumb up the count?

UNHFan99
September 27th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Students get in for free. All they have to do is show there student ID's at any entrance. I have a feeling the students are missing in the count. It still makes no sense to list an attendance figure that is lower than the actual. Especially considering the push for a new stadium.

UNH SUPERFAN
September 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Students get in for free. All they have to do is show there student ID's at any entrance. I have a feeling the students are missing in the count. It still makes no sense to list an attendance figure that is lower than the actual. Especially considering the push for a new stadium.
IF STUDENTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE COUNT THEN THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE! IN THE 6 YEARS I'VE BEEN GOING TO UNH FOOTBALL GAMES THE STONY BROOK GAME HAD BY FAR THE MOST STUDENTS IN ATTENDANCE.

eaglesrthe1
September 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Give me a break.

It's bad when you call people out on something, and try to back it up with B.S.
the attendance shattered the previous Gardner-Webb record of 6,311, set in 2004 versus Western Carolina.

Gardner-Webb 05' att. avg - 2807

Pard4Life
September 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
8,291 at Princeton to see the Pards play... looked like much more though...

AndrewFU21
September 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Well, at FU, students show their ID's to get in, and there is a guy there with a little manual counter that he pushes as each person goes in. Does UNH not do this? Seems like a pretty easy way to measure student attendance.

G.S.Green
September 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Hampton vs. Morgan State

+52K at the Meadowlands. Now that's a crowd.

Bisonforlife
September 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Officially, 7312 but there's standing room for another 3000 to 5000 on the hill and platforms built into the stands that are normally for handicapped.
So the handicapped aren't official:confused: Or are they not Normal?

UNH SUPERFAN
September 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Well, at FU, students show their ID's to get in, and there is a guy there with a little manual counter that he pushes as each person goes in. Does UNH not do this? Seems like a pretty easy way to measure student attendance.
I'LL BET THEY DON'T, BUT THEY CERTAINLY SHOULD. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN AN ACCURATE STUDENT COUNT GIVEN AT UNH, TO MY KNOWLEDGE.

art vandelay
September 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
i know UNH Superfan will attest to this but the main reason for the lack of attendance in the north east meaning UNH, Umaine, Umass, North Easthern, URI,and Hofstra is the huge following of profesional sports in the area. people in the new england area especialy prefer to se the red sox or the patriots. this evan effects a big school like BC. none of these schools get the following they deserve because of the profesional teams in the area.i hope everyone gets to read this because this is always a question that is asked by the different people in this forum because this is not the same problem for most other schools. and yes i do relize that everyone competets to some degree with pro teams but believe me it is a much bigger deal in the north east area.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Good point. i don't see how a school could go to the "student activity fee well" for dough without knowing how many attend games.

Mr. C
September 28th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Give me a break.
Dude, get a clue. I was at the Elon game last year and it was mostly App State fans. There were not a lot of Phoenix fans there and even less in the second half. The other post might have been exagerating a bit, but probably half of the GWU crowd was in App State BLACK. App State travels better than any team in the SoCon. That is a fact. For years, the Mountaineers have outdrawn certain schools in their home stadium. Just ask Wake Forest, which has had some of their biggest Groves Stadium crowds in particular years when ASU was the opponent. Lose the jealousy.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Dude, get a clue. I was at the Elon game last year and it was mostly App State fans. There were not a lot of Phoenix fans there and even less in the second half. The other post might have been exagerating a bit, but probably half of the GWU crowd was in App State BLACK. App State travels better than any team in the SoCon. That is a fact. For years, the Mountaineers have outdrawn certain schools in their home stadium. Just ask Wake Forest, which has had some of their biggest Groves Stadium crowds in particular years when ASU was the opponent. Lose the jealousy.

The "very few" on the grass is a hoot. I was there and it certainly was many many more than "very few." In fact, we started to move from the crowded uncomfortable "bleachers" to the bank but saw that the only places left were either adjacent to the GW stands or down at the bottom where it was steep as well as a poor view of the field.

eaglesrthe1
September 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM

GSU fans would find that debatable. Of course, we have seen how you qualify facts.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM
GSU fans would find that debatable. Of course, we have seen how you qualify facts.

Maybe it's because we don't see the GSU'ers reach Boone. I'm sure GSU travels well to the confernce buddies in lower SC etc.
But GSU is no where to be found in the top crowds in Boone. Those have come from Coastal Carolina (:eek: ), WCU, Furman, Marshall, Chattanooga, Citadel, etc. (and soon to be Elon?)

eaglesrthe1
September 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Maybe it's because we don't see the GSU'ers reach Boone. I'm sure GSU travels well to the confernce buddies in lower SC etc.
But GSU is no where to be found in the top crowds in Boone. Those have come from Coastal Carolina (:eek: ), WCU, Furman, Marshall, Chattanooga, Citadel, etc. (and soon to be Elon?)

Hey, I can agree with that. There are all kinds of circumstances. That's why I said it's debatable. It's hardly factual, however.:nod: