PDA

View Full Version : Give The Nec their proper credit they deserve

NFLCB2
September 24th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I dont know why everyone is so shocked wit the top teams of the NEC beating people they are really good very disciplined teams. That monmouth team that beat colgate is no fluke they have a Qb that is calm cool and collected in the pocket strong D CCSU has a great three headed monster Called Earth,Wind,Fire (Hairston,Harge,Freeman) that proved that they could run against top 1-AA tops Albany has a great Lb in Disch and a Solid D great scheme. I really dont see why all this comes as a shock and for the sake of the scholly topic On Monmouth's behalf they only use those of freshmen which dont even see the field not sure how everyone else uses theirs......

GD84
September 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM
disch has been called a potential nfl prospect...andre coleman and rashard barksdale are getting looks by nfl scouts also for albany

Go...gate
September 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
No question that the NEC has come of age, and fast.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I've got 2 NEC teams in my top 25, 22 and 25

NFLCB2
September 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Which two NEC teams do you have ranked??

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I would think he has Monmouth and Albany...whom else would it be?

NFLCB2
September 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think so because the whole time it was CCSU and Albany but Monmouth has creeped up and shocked everyone i think the darkhorse everyone should be worried about in the NEC is Wagner they can really come out and shake things up

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Which two NEC teams do you have ranked??

Albany at 22 and Monmouth at 25, CCSU was 25 last week

DaGoat217
September 24th, 2006, 05:15 PM
wagner doesnt have what it takes

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM
wagner doesnt have what it takes

thats a little vague for your first post, care to elaborate

WMTribe90
September 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I have Albany at #18 this week and CCSU dropping out of the top 25. Monmouth is on the doorstep. No doubt the NEC has made huge strides, but lets not get carried away just yet. The NEC owns wins over Lehigh, UD, Colgate and GSU. However, the PL appears to be down this year. The A10, NEC and Ivy have all beaten up on the PL for the most part. GSU looks like an average SoCon team and UD struggled to beat URI. Its quite possible that by the end of the season the NEC may not have a single win over a team in the top 25. These wins were surprises and big for the NEC, but only time will tell just how big. Right now, Lehigh, UD, GSU and Colgate all appear to be down from recent years.

Raider Dane
September 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I have Albany at #18 this week and CCSU dropping out of the top 25. Monmouth is on the doorstep. No doubt the NEC has made huge strides, but lets not get carried away just yet. The NEC owns wins over Lehigh, UD, Colgate and GSU. However, the PL appears to be down this year. The A10, NEC and Ivy have all beaten up on the PL for the most part. GSU looks like an average SoCon team and UD struggled to beat URI. Its quite possible that by the end of the season the NEC may not have a single win over a team in the top 25. These wins were surprises and big for the NEC, but only time will tell just how big. Right now, Lehigh, UD, GSU and Colgate all appear to be down from recent years.

Albany a little high at 18, but otherwise a sound and fair assesment....

WMTribe90
September 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I don't necessarily believe Albany is the 18th best team in I-AA, rather after 4 weeks I believe they have the 18th best resume. Even if Albany won out they probably wouldn't crack the top 16 given their SOS.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I don't necessarily believe Albany is the 18th best team in I-AA, rather after 4 weeks I believe they have the 18th best resume. Even if Albany won out they probably wouldn't crack the top 16 given their SOS.

I agree, right NOW they are 20-25, but to be honest, that is only b/c those expected to have a better year have faltered.

UNHknowledge
September 24th, 2006, 06:09 PM
NEC people need to watch what they wish for cuz they just might get it. NEC folks must realize that if they do get a playoff birth they could be setting themselves up for a huge embarassment becuase they will for sure play a #1 seed i.e. UNH, Montana, SIU, App St., Richmond...etc. These squads are not UDel, GSU, Lehigh, Colgate. I would LOVE for Albany/Monmouth/CCSU to come up to Durham for a first rd game. You guys might want to be happy with your success this year and wait for a few more scholarships before you jump right into playoff participation. I'm very happy for the success you guys are having right now but some NEC fans are asking for a little bit too much credit.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Sure...it would be a huge bite to chew, however this is the next recruit conversation: "Yeah, we lost to the NO. 1 (or 2) team in the country, but we shocked the IAA world by getting there without scholarships. Come on board with the 22 guys we have redshirting...with your class...we will have 30 scholarships spread out among 40-50 guys. IMAGINE WHAT WE CAN DO WITH THAT KIND OF TALENT...if we got there with guys who were deemed inferior. KID...we can coach you up if you are willing to listen."

Loss or not, a playoff game does wonders for recruiting. Tells the kids we are one step closer to the goal of regular participation!

UNHknowledge
September 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Sure...it would be a huge bite to chew, however this is the next recruit conversation: "Yeah, we lost to the NO. 1 (or 2) team in the country, but we shocked the IAA world by getting there without scholarships. Come on board with the 22 guys we have redshirting...with your class...we will have 30 scholarships spread out among 40-50 guys. IMAGINE WHAT WE CAN DO WITH THAT KIND OF TALENT...if we got there with guys who were deemed inferior. KID...we can coach you up if you are willing to listen."

Loss or not, a playoff game does wonders for recruiting. Tells the kids we are one step closer to the goal of regular participation!

Very well said and I share your optimism for the NEC but I've just seen a few posts on here lately that make me think. Do you reeaaallly want to play UNH or Appy?:nono:

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 07:13 PM
IN truth? Probably not. However, to get better you have to take your lumps!!!

September 24th, 2006, 08:17 PM
... this is the next recruit conversation: "Yeah, we lost to the NO. 1 (or 2) team in the country, but we shocked the IAA world by getting there without scholarships. Come on board with the 22 guys we have redshirting...with your class...we will have 30 scholarships... Don't you think that might confuse the recruit? :confused: I mean, all NEC teams DO have 30 scholarships they can award THIS YEAR and they were need-based before that. The NEC is not the MAAC or PFL.

NFLCB2
September 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
NEC people need to watch what they wish for cuz they just might get it. NEC folks must realize that if they do get a playoff birth they could be setting themselves up for a huge embarassment becuase they will for sure play a #1 seed i.e. UNH, Montana, SIU, App St., Richmond...etc. These squads are not UDel, GSU, Lehigh, Colgate. I would LOVE for Albany/Monmouth/CCSU to come up to Durham for a first rd game. You guys might want to be happy with your success this year and wait for a few more scholarships before you jump right into playoff participation. I'm very happy for the success you guys are having right now but some NEC fans are asking for a little bit too much credit.

That would be a big step up for the program he said it best you need to take a few lumps then take it. NEC would still make history Those teams can be beat like this website says Any given Saturday any team can win God forbid somethin happens to Ball or Santos be a whole new ball game then

blukeys
September 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM

I have avoided giving my assessment of Albany prior to this as I did not want it to appear to be sour grapes. Albany has a very solid defensive front 7 that as a group is as good as there is in I-AA. Albany's offensive line is deep and experienced and their # 32 is definitely a I-AA quality back. He gained most of his yards against Delaware on misdirection plays.

On offense their O-line is solid. In truth their QB is sub par by I-AA standards. To the credit of the coaching staff the QB is not forced to attempt plays he can't be sucessful at even to the point of quick kicking on 3rd down. (A smart move in my opinion.)

I don't believe Albany could win a playoff game with the limited passing ability I saw from their QB's. Albany's front 7's are very good and I was truly impressed by their game day coaching. But, I have seen much better skill position players who are capable of big plays on a host of I-AA teams.

danefan
September 25th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I have avoided giving my assessment of Albany prior to this as I did not want it to appear to be sour grapes. Albany has a very solid defensive front 7 that as a group is as good as there is in I-AA. Albany's offensive line is deep and experienced and their # 32 is definitely a I-AA quality back. He gained most of his yards against Delaware on misdirection plays.

On offense their O-line is solid. In truth their QB is sub par by I-AA standards. To the credit of the coaching staff the QB is not forced to attempt plays he can't be sucessful at even to the point of quick kicking on 3rd down. (A smart move in my opinion.)

I don't believe Albany could win a playoff game with the limited passing ability I saw from their QB's. Albany's front 7's are very good and I was truly impressed by their game day coaching. But, I have seen much better skill position players who are capable of big plays on a host of I-AA teams.

Very very good and fair assessment. Especially the lack of a passing game. That is clearly what caused the loss against Fordham (3 picks in the first half). Hopefully, the passing game will get better as the season goes on. Very good possibility if the true-frosh starts at QB. He played the second half against Central Conn. and looked much better than the starter. Still, however, he is only a freshman and will clearly be limited by lack of experience.

aceinthehole
September 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Very very good and fair assessment. Especially the lack of a passing game. That is clearly what caused the loss against Fordham (3 picks in the first half). Hopefully, the passing game will get better as the season goes on. Very good possibility if the true-frosh starts at QB. He played the second half against Central Conn. and looked much better than the starter. Still, however, he is only a freshman and will clearly be limited by lack of experience.

100% agree. The strength of UA is the Defense! Their O line is huge too, but they generally lack at the skills positions. They are certainly good enough to win the NEC (still have a tough test vs. Monmouth).

I can't belive the NEC games will mean so much.

CCSU can get back into the race with a win over Monmouth (on TV!). Then Monmouth and UA meet in the final week which could determine the NEC champs.

I'm upset CCSU lost, but I thought we played tough. I'm also so happy that Monmouth won, it is really validating our conference! The top 3 in the NEC this year are the best its ever been.

Dane96
September 25th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Don't you think that might confuse the recruit? :confused: I mean, all NEC teams DO have 30 scholarships they can award THIS YEAR and they were need-based before that. The NEC is not the MAAC or PFL.

I should have been clearer. I meant that we are doing this WITHOUT scholarship kids playing (only two see time). Grants...maybe...not sure of that.