PDA

View Full Version : UMassStony Brook images up

Umass74
September 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I have some UMass-Stony Brook images up on my UMass Football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) .

Right Click for a larger view.

It was 42-0 in the second quarter. Could have been 84-7 if we had wanted. UMass only threw 8 passes in the first half, two in the second.

So far, two games at home, two rainy days. :mad:

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM
1 of the passes thrown in the second half was an idiotic call when UM was already up 42-0 in which UMass OC Kevin Morris decided to call a pass play from his own 10 yd line using a 2d string QB in the rain. Morris' dumb decision was exacerbated by poor execution. The pass was poorly thrown and was easily picked off by stoneybrook and the defender waltzed into the endzone for an easy TD. UM should of had a shutout but for poor playcalling. Its a shame for the D to squander a shutout performance due to incompetent playcalling.

Umass74
September 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I believe that pass was Woodward's first ever game pass. Also, I don't think the receiver caught it. To me, it did not look like he had control of the ball.

I was a shame to mess up the shut-out. But it could have been 84-7 if we had kept the starters in. EVERYBODY played the second half.

It was a I-AA win, so I'll take it. Got a couple people hurt though...

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Great place to have the young man make his first ever pass attempt...10 yds away from our own endzone. :eek:

Morris is a loose cannon. His playcalling will be our achilles heel all season. I still cannot believe that guy kept his job after calling a halfback pass using a 4th string rb against navy. Cost us the game right there. I'm sure Brown tore that play out of the playbook and shredded it for good measure.

I'm glad we didn't try to win 84-7.

Umass74
September 24th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with you. A gadget play against a I-A team has little chance of working. :rolleyes:

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I agree with you. A gadget play against a I-A team has little chance of working. :rolleyes:

That play had no chance of working because the halfback forced a ball into solid coverage and the ball was poorly thrown. It was a dumb call because UMass was pounding away at Navy, controlling the line of scrimmage and running the ball right up the gut. We had field position and momentum. No need to put the ball in the air. Same was true yesterday - dumb idea to pass with your back up against your own end zone. Stupid Stupid Stupid. This was not 2 minute drill, it was just Kevin Morris making the wrong call at the wrong time with the wrong personnel on the field. Exactly the same mistakes he made against Navy except he cost us the win that we should have had in Annapolis because he wanted to call a trick play. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

I like your blog but Morris is a real weakness. I wish Brown would take over play calling duties.

saint0917
September 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I believe that pass was Woodward's first ever game pass. Also, I don't think the receiver caught it. To me, it did not look like he had control of the ball.

100% right. I had a clear view of the play and the receiver never had control of the ball when he dropped it. It should have been ruled incomplete. Oh well. And your right Sam, no way should Umass be passing on their own 10 yard line, the game was over in the first 10 minutes of the first quarter, just run the freaking ball.