PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is Wrong with The Bismarck Trib?

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM
OK, This really burns me. In the Bismarck Tribune this morning the article on UND's win over Western Washington (a DII vs DII) is on top of, and more than twice the size of, the article on NDSU's win over Ball St. (A DI-AA vs DI-A). How is this program going to get more exposure with terrible coverage like this. The ENTIRE state needs to get behind NDSU if we want to become an elite I-AA program. How is that going to happen with a 100 word summary of a tremendous game in NDSU's history.

Help me out guys. We are new to the I-AA scene, is this the norm? How is your team's coverge across your respective states?

I, for one expect more. If you do as well, please join me in writing letters to the editor.

http://www.freedomworks.org/newsroom/editor_zip.php?state=ND

:bang: :mad: :bang: :confused: :bang: :bawling: :bang: :eek: :bang: xidiotx :bang: : smh : :bang:

BTW: UND is farther from Bismarck than NDSU

cosmo here
September 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
OK, This really burns me. In the Bismarck Tribune this morning the article on UND's win over Western Washington (a DII vs DII) is on top of, and more than twice the size of, the article on NDSU's win over Ball St. (A DI-AA vs DI-A). How is this program going to get more exposure with terrible coverage like this.

1. UND kicked off at 1 p.m., NDSU kicked off at 6:30 p.m.
2. It isn't the paper's job to give publicity based on merit. It's the paper's job to sell papers.

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
1. UND kicked off at 1 p.m., NDSU kicked off at 6:30 p.m.
2. It isn't the paper's job to give publicity based on merit. It's the paper's job to sell papers.

1. The Fargo Forum had the same amount of time to prepare and they have five full length articles.
2. It is the paper's job to report the news in an un-biased manner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_ethics_and_standards

I don't mean to sound belligerent (wait...yes I do). I just expect more.

The question remains. What is coverage like in your neck of the woods?

cosmo here
September 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
1. The Fargo Forum had the same amount of time to prepare and they have five full length articles.
2. It is the paper's job to report the news in an un-biased manner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_ethics_and_standards

I don't mean to sound belligerent (wait...yes I do). I just expect more.

The question remains. What is coverage like in your neck of the woods?

It's good to see we're now using Wikipedia for sources, we might as well use The Onion too . . wait, there's already a story on that xlolx

Wikipedia, the online, reader-edited encyclopedia, honored the 750th anniversary of American independence on July 25 with a special featured section on its main page Tuesday.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

Anyways it would be nice to see more coverage at all levels . . but I can understand why there was less coverage of NDSU yesterday. As long as they had a story in they were reporting the news.

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
It's good to see we're now using Wikipedia for sources, we might as well use The Onion too . . wait, there's already a story on that xlolx

Wikipedia, the online, reader-edited encyclopedia, honored the 750th anniversary of American independence on July 25 with a special featured section on its main page Tuesday.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50902

Anyways it would be nice to see more coverage at all levels . . but I can understand why there was less coverage of NDSU yesterday. As long as they had a story in they were reporting the news.

Touché. That article is high-larious. Regardless, I think you get my point.

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I don't want this thread to turn into a rant (I do that on Bisonville.com). I'm more interested in what kind of team coverage I should expect at the DI level. Am I wrong to expect more? Does Montana only get covered in Missoula? Does New Hampshire only get coverage in Durham? I should change the tiltle of this thread.

RadMann
September 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I'm not from North Dakota but I found a decently sized article in the paper from Grand Forks (Grand Forks Herald):

NDSU pulls a stunner:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=11062&section=sports&freebie_check&CFID=1301426&CFTOKEN=32432557

Game Stats:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=11142

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM
That's screwed up.

Maybe they'll give you guys the front page if you can beat us in Paulson on October 7th.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Do you really think anyone on AGS gives a rip about what the Bismarck rag prints? I'm not disagreeing with you on your point but is this the right venue to be bringing up this point? I don't think so. Email the paper and rip on them, better yet call them and let them know of your disapproval. Again I agree they could have done a much better job of covering NDSU but I don't know how many people who work or have a say in these matters at the Bismarck paper read AGS.

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Do you really think anyone on AGS gives a rip about what the Bismarck rag prints? I'm not disagreeing with you on your point but is this the right venue to be bringing up this point? I don't think so. Email the paper and rip on them, better yet call them and let them know of your disapproval. Again I agree they could have done a much better job of covering NDSU but I don't know how many people who work or have a say in these matters at the Bismarck paper read AGS.

Clarification: The intent of this thread was not to rip on the Trib (BTW I have written a letter to the editor). My intent was to get a feel for what NDSU (new to DI-AA) should expect in the way of media coverage. My expectiation was that we have moved to a new level of competition, therefore, the media coverage/hype should move to a new level as well. Am I completly off base wanting more articles/hype/TV coverage?

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Tech Question from Newbie: I was able to change the title of this thread above, but is there a way to change it on the main page?

bisonguy
September 24th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Clarification: The intent of this thread was not to rip on the Trib (BTW I have written a letter to the editor). My intent was to get a feel for what NDSU (new to DI-AA) should expect in the way of media coverage. My expectiation was that we have moved to a new level of competition, therefore, the media coverage/hype should move to a new level as well. Am I completly off base wanting more articles/hype/TV coverage?

NDSU received plenty of coverage, 3-4 pages worth, in North Dakota's largest newspaper, The Fargo Forum.

Maybe you should get a saturday/sunday subscription for Bison coverage.

No_Skill
September 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM
NDSU received plenty of coverage, 3-4 pages worth, in North Dakota's largest newspaper, The Fargo Forum.

Maybe you should get a saturday/sunday subscription for Bison coverage.

The thought has crossed my mind in the past. If they deliver, it's a done deal.