PDA

View Full Version : Locker Room Burglarized during I-AA Game

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 07:20 AM
According to this article, Southern increased the security at their stadium after a recent shooting that took place across the street during Southern's first home game. The move made sure everyone who came into the stadium was run through metal detectors as well as having personal items searched. Tailgating was even eliminated on the south end zone side of the stadium.

It's unfortunate that the increased security measures did not work. Look forward to hearing more about how there could've been a breakdown in security and protecting the NCC locker room...
-----------------
SU opponent's locker room burglarized

Break-in casts pall over N.C. Central victory

By KIMBERLY VETTER
Advocate staff writer
Published: Sep 24, 2006

North Carolina Central University’s locker room at Southern University was broken into Saturday during the Jaguars’ second home game, Southern Chancellor Edward Jackson said.

Kyle Serba, sports information director for North Carolina Central University, said sneakers, money, college championship football rings and electronics were taken from the team’s locker room, which is located about a fourth of a mile from A.W. Mumford Stadium.

The thefts occurred at some point during the game, which started at 6 p.m. and ended around 9 p.m.

Serba said that during his 12 years with the football team at North Carolina Central, his team’s locker room has never been burglarized.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/4218921.html?showAll=y&c=y

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Nice security Southern. Who do they have guarding the locker rooms Barney Fife?

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
When I was coaching at the JC level this happened to us. It was really a sad thing for kids who had very little to their names to go through this. On this occasion it ended up that a student worker in the equipment room had intentionally let some friends in to do the stealing.

I remember being equally saddened by the inflated reports of lost items by members of our team when they began to realize that insurance may cover the losses.

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I use to work at High School hockey tourneys back in New Hampshire. The lockerroom doors are right there near the ice and in plain view, yet we always had a member of the tourney staff at each lockerroom door (theres 4 lockerrooms) even while the teams playing a later game were in the lockerroms. Its inexcusable that security isnt stationed at the lockerroom doors specially with the Lockerrooms 1/4 mile from the stadium.

NoCoDanny
September 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Something like this sounds like an inside job. I have a funny feeling the Southern securuty guards will be sporting some new bling bling in the next couple weeks.

UNHknowledge
September 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Locker thefts are bush league and I blame the host universities for not supplying proper security measures. Ricky Santos and Christain Callison had thier jerseys stolen before the UC-Davis game last season. Ricky had to wear #6 and had one of his worst games. All I have to say is whoever stole his jersey better be rockin it hard.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Look there is simply no excuse for this crap. The Host team is responsible for security. The other side of this is that players should not leave valuables in visiting team locker rooms.

Thats crap man, the visiting team should not have to worry about getting their stuff stolen

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Nice security Southern. Who do they have guarding the locker rooms Barney Fife?
Nope they posted him at Check Point Chickey. xlolx

Retro
September 25th, 2006, 01:31 PM
This is a real embarrasment for southern.. As big of a tailgating crowd and as many fans as they have at their home games, there should be much better security watching over both locker rooms and especially over anything belonging to the visitors. Part of these stadium improvements we keep hearing about should include visitor locker rooms within the stadium area. :nonono2:

jstate83
September 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Something like this sounds like an inside job. I have a funny feeling the Southern securuty guards will be sporting some new bling bling in the next couple weeks.

Doubt it was Southern personnel that did this.

That entire area is a madhouse on Saturday night.
You have LSU and SU trying to cram bout 160 thousand into 1 small area of Baton Rougue at the same time.

Somebody walking past probably saw an oppertunity and took it.
Shame though.

UNHWildCats
September 25th, 2006, 02:32 PM
umm is it me or did this thread get stripped down more then a stripper at Al Bundys Hooter Bar?

September 25th, 2006, 02:34 PM
umm is it me or did this thread get stripped down more then a stripper at Al Bundys Hooter Bar?We love our Mods! :nod:

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
When I was coaching at the JC level this happened to us. It was really a sad thing for kids who had very little to their names to go through this. On this occasion it ended up that a student worker in the equipment room had intentionally let some friends in to do the stealing.

I remember being equally saddened by the inflated reports of lost items by members of our team when they began to realize that insurance may cover the losses.

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Mr. C
September 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This is TOTALLY inexcusable. Southern really dropped the ball on security for this to happen. There isn't ANY reason for something like this to happen. Totally inept on Southern's part.

jstate83
September 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
This is TOTALLY inexcusable. Southern really dropped the ball on security for this to happen. There isn't ANY reason for something like this to happen. Totally inept on Southern's part.

True..........................Not good pr when the visiting team locker room is robbed.

We need a JAG to speak on this.

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2006, 03:41 PM
umm is it me or did this thread get stripped down more then a stripper at Al Bundys Hooter Bar?

How did it get stripped down?

:confused: :confused:

Jacks99
September 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
The thefts occurred at some point during the game, which started at 6 p.m. and ended around 9 p.m.
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/4218921.html?showAll=y&c=y

No doubt they have their best detectives on this!:eyebrow:

UNHWildCats
September 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM
How did it get stripped down?

There was about 2 por 3 pages of back and forths between SamAdams and ummm, I cant remeber the other person about the raciality of the term "ghetto"

Cap'n Cat
September 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM
There was about 2 por 3 pages of back and forths between SamAdams and ummm, I cant remeber the other person about the raciality of the term "ghetto"

Hmmmmmmm

I thought "ghetto" was in, like "redneck"?

OLDLCOACH111
September 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM
The fact that they took their championship rings is the main thing that does not sit well with me. The university should take full responsibility and replace all stolen goods.

mikebigg
September 25th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Before we accuse someone associated with SU, realize that this could also have been an inside job by someone with NCCU. Not accusing them or anything, but no one is beyond suspicion...NO ONE.

Not sure how it happened, but hopefully it will be investigated and the fact reveal the culprits. As one of the posters stated, it could have been a momentary lapse in security and someone took advantage of the opportunity.

FYI... The visitors at SU dress in the Women's Gym (Seymour) which is somewhat adjacent to Mumford Stadium. Not sure if the actual lockerroom itself was locked or not. Someone may have went into a window or unguarded door... Remember that the security force at SU was spread a bit thin due to the emphasis on policing the tailgate area after a recent tragic shooting involving a Private Security person. The pay rate for off duty City Police/Sheriff Office can get to be excessive...they can only afford so many. Plus remember, the availability was hampered by the fact that LSU also had a home game.

Mr. C
September 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Before we accuse someone associated with SU, realize that this could also have been an inside job by someone with NCCU. Not accusing them or anything, but no one is beyond suspicion...NO ONE.

Not sure how it happened, but hopefully it will be investigated and the fact reveal the culprits. As one of the posters stated, it could have been a momentary lapse in security and someone took advantage of the opportunity.

FYI... The visitors at SU dress in the Women's Gym (Seymour) which is somewhat adjacent to Mumford Stadium. Not sure if the actual lockerroom itself was locked or not. Someone may have went into a window or unguarded door... Remember that the security force at SU was spread a bit thin due to the emphasis on policing the tailgate area after a recent tragic shooting involving a Private Security person. The pay rate for off duty City Police/Sheriff Office can get to be excessive...they can only afford so many. Plus remember, the availability was hampered by the fact that LSU also had a home game.
Hard to believe that a university that pulls in over 20,000 fans per game year-in and year-out could plead poverty when it comes to being able to afford adaquate security.

OLDLCOACH111
September 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM
An inside job!! please!!, what would someone on nccu staff or team need about 20 championship rings when more than likely they already have one. Also, it will be real hard to hide rings shoes cd players and money on the bus home. I bet the police they checked everyones bags.

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hard to believe that a university that pulls in over 20,000 fans per game year-in and year-out could plead poverty when it comes to being able to afford adaquate security.

Isn't that the point of the Classics and SWAC title game instead of the playoffs? To make $$$? :twocents:

AppGuy04
September 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Isn't that the point of the Classics and SWAC title game instead of the playoffs? To make $$$? :twocents:

which is probably why security was lacking, to maximize profits

GeauxColonels
September 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Doubt it was Southern personnel that did this.

That entire area is a madhouse on Saturday night.
You have LSU and SU trying to cram bout 160 thousand into 1 small area of Baton Rougue at the same time.

Somebody walking past probably saw an oppertunity and took it.
Shame though.
Not too sure about that. The Universities are miles apart with the traffic and crowds seperated by the entire downtown area of Baton Rouge.

Now, that being said...even with or without all of the traffic and people...they should have at least ONE person available to guard the locker rooms, ESPECIALLY the visitors' room, at ALL TIMES.