PDA

View Full Version : SHSU @ Texas - Game Thread

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Our weekly game thread for the Sam Houston State Bearkats. This week, we find our team heading to the Texas state capitol of Austin, Texas for a battle against the defending BCS champions, the University of Texas.

For the Longhorns, this is their first taste of playing a I-AA foe. While their AD told those who would listen, SHSU was far down the list after every I-A in the country turned them down, it would not surprise me to see the Longhorns continuing to play I-AAs (soon to be NCAA Football Championship subdivision members) as the world of college football has changed.

The Bearkats enter this game as David facing Goliath. However, the Bearkats are coming in on a positive note after defeating Missouri St, the Kats first road win since the famous comeback in the I-AA quarterfinals of 2004 against Eastern Washington in Cheney, WA. In fact, the Kats halftime lead at 13-3 in Springfield was their first halftime lead on the road since the 2004 'Battle of the Piney Woods' against SFA in Nacogdoches.

It will be an interesting week for sure. Many Bearkat faithful are making the trip up to Texas to see what Todd Whitten and his Bearkats can do against the Mack Brown-coached Longhorns at Darrell K Memorial Stadium.

Regardless of outcome, the Bearkats and SHSU will be getting a bit more publicity than they normally get due to the caliber of the opponent. I am sure the athletic department's phone will be ringing a bit more as it relates to the Bomar situation, which will probably find it's way into a few more headlines once again seeing as Bomar is a QB of the Longhorns' 'Red River Shootout' rival Oklahoma. Best of luck to the Kats this week and best of luck to the host team, the Longhorns...

Look for more information and updates posted to this thread as the week continues...

===============================
Sam Houston State Bearkats vs University of Texas Longhorns
6 pm, Saturday, September 30th (Fox Sports Net PPV)
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium · Austin, Texas

Audio:
SHSU: http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Sam-Houston.htm
Texas: http://sports.yahoo.com/top/collegebroadcast/teams/tal (subscription required)

Game Release:
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf
Texas: Not Available

Weekly Teleconference (when made available):
Southland: http://southland.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/06-coaches-teleconference.html

Team Sites:
SHSU: http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football
Texas: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

Fan Boards:
SHSU: http://www.katfans.com
Texas: http://www.orangebloods.com ; http://www.hornfans.com

blackfordpu
September 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM
How many ambulances will they have for this game?:eek:

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Sam Houston St
Team National Rankings (top 20)
10th - Passing Offense (240.67 ypg)
16th - Net Punting (36.0 yds)
17th - Turnover Margin (+1)

Team Southland Conference Rankings (top 2)
1st - Passing Offense (240.67 ypg)
1st - Total Offense (359.00 ypg)
1st - Scoring Defense (21.67 ppg)
1st - Net Punting (36.0 yds)
1st- Kickoff Returns (20.86 ypr)
1st - Turnover Margin (+1)
2nd - Scoring Offense (25.00 ppg)
2nd - Passing Efficiency (120.19)
2nd - Rushing Defense (112.67 ypg)

Individual National Rankings (top 20)
20th - Curtis Parks, Punting (40.69 ypp)

Individual Southland Conference Rankings (top 4)
1st - Blake Martin, Receptions Per Game (5 rpg)
1st - Curtis Parks, Punting (40.69 ypp)
2nd - Michael Malone, Scoring (6.0 ppg)
4th - Andrew Audelin, Rushing (55 ypg)
4th - Blake Martin, Recieving Yards Per Game (54.33 ypg)

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM
TexasSports.com has their 'Longhorns Gameweek' page posted. This is where most of the information from the University of Texas side of things will be posted in addition to SHSU information (already available on www.goBearkats.com)...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=47&url_article_id=2300&change_well_id=2

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM
SHSU release is out...

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/pdf/fbrelease.pdf

Longhorn Game Notes out as well...

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/doc_lib/fb_092506_notes.pdf

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Texas players on SHSU...

QB Colt McCoy: They’re going to come in here excited and ready to play. Coming into an atmosphere like we have here, they’re really going to be excited and want to play hard. We’ve got to be ready, and as Coach Brown said, we’ve got to play to our standard, come out here, get better, and eliminate our mistakes and continue looking forward.

DE Brian Orakpo: The mentality is just that this is another week to play a game. It is going to be very exciting to play at home again and against another team in Texas. It is going to be a fun atmosphere out there.

It is easy to focus. Obviously we have a game this week and we are going to put in our insulations this week and be mentally prepared for Sam Houston State. That is the only team we are worried about right now. You have to take it a game at a time because if you get upset by Sam Houston State it can ruin your whole season as far as not being mentally prepared each week. That is what we try to do each week we go out there.

OT Justin Blalock: The coaches have done a great job of reiterating the focus necessary. It seems like year-in and year-out a D1-AA team sneaks up and beats a D1 team, we’re doing everything we can to make sure that doesn’t happen this week.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=2442&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

TexasTerror
September 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Mack Brown's Remarks from Press Conference...

Sam Houston (State) is coached by Todd Whitten; he did an outstanding job at Tarlton State where he was the coach of the year for four different years. They're 2-1, they have two really good receivers, which could give us problems because they're a passing football team, and one of them interestingly enough, Michael Malone, is Moses Malone's son. We have to get ourselves ready to play and focused on the weekend.

On how to approach this week's game against I-AA Sam Houston State: It is a regular Saturday; ask the teams that have lost to I-AA teams so far this year. The only way this one gets big is to not play well or to lose it. So we'll play as hard as we can, as well as we can, and we've got to continue to get better. What we will fight this week is media and fans not talking about the importance of the game and our guys need to be more mature than that. We play every game exactly the same. In fact, we were disappointed Saturday that with the delay, we didn't get as many kids in as we wanted to because we have never had a delay like that and we were not sure how we would respond or Iowa State would respond at the end.

On playing a I-AA team: They've got good players, they've got scholarships, we should have more depth, and we're supposed to win, they know that coming in, so they've got nothing to lose. So our job when a game is scheduled is to play our best and improve as a football team and not analyze what's best for college football. A lot of people have asked me if it is better to have an open date before a game, like OU's got an open date before us, but we don't, so it is what it is and we're going to take what we've got and make it work. We're really, really pleased with the way our team has played regardless of who we're playing since we've been here or at least the last six years. With all the fans and media talking about next week's game and not talking about this week it will be a great test for our kids to see if they're mature enough to get ready to play. We've got respect for Todd (Whitten), his staff, and their team. You respect the other team, you respect the game, you go out there and play, and anything less than that, and you're not doing your job.

On Sam Houston State: They're a four-two on defense, and they're rushing for about 116 yards a game and they're passing for about 240 yards a game ,so they would be considered a throwing team and the two receivers I talked about are listed as pro-prospects. So it will be really good for us with the issues that we've had in our secondary to play another passing team that's going to get the ball downfield and see how we handle it. They've got good players too. They've just got fewer of them because they're a different level. Again, I would be really disappointed when you've got 12 games scheduled for a player or a coach on our football team to not be excited to play this weekend.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=2441&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

blackfordpu
September 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Mack Brown's Remarks from Press Conference...

Sam Houston (State) is coached by Todd Whitten; he did an outstanding job at Tarlton State where he was the coach of the year for four different years. They're 2-1, they have two really good receivers, which could give us problems because they're a passing football team, and one of them interestingly enough, Michael Malone, is Moses Malone's son. We have to get ourselves ready to play and focused on the weekend.

On how to approach this week's game against I-AA Sam Houston State: It is a regular Saturday; ask the teams that have lost to I-AA teams so far this year. The only way this one gets big is to not play well or to lose it. So we'll play as hard as we can, as well as we can, and we've got to continue to get better. What we will fight this week is media and fans not talking about the importance of the game and our guys need to be more mature than that. We play every game exactly the same. In fact, we were disappointed Saturday that with the delay, we didn't get as many kids in as we wanted to because we have never had a delay like that and we were not sure how we would respond or Iowa State would respond at the end.

On playing a I-AA team: They've got good players, they've got scholarships, we should have more depth, and we're supposed to win, they know that coming in, so they've got nothing to lose. So our job when a game is scheduled is to play our best and improve as a football team and not analyze what's best for college football. A lot of people have asked me if it is better to have an open date before a game, like OU's got an open date before us, but we don't, so it is what it is and we're going to take what we've got and make it work. We're really, really pleased with the way our team has played regardless of who we're playing since we've been here or at least the last six years. With all the fans and media talking about next week's game and not talking about this week it will be a great test for our kids to see if they're mature enough to get ready to play. We've got respect for Todd (Whitten), his staff, and their team. You respect the other team, you respect the game, you go out there and play, and anything less than that, and you're not doing your job.

On Sam Houston State: They're a four-two on defense, and they're rushing for about 116 yards a game and they're passing for about 240 yards a game ,so they would be considered a throwing team and the two receivers I talked about are listed as pro-prospects. So it will be really good for us with the issues that we've had in our secondary to play another passing team that's going to get the ball downfield and see how we handle it. They've got good players too. They've just got fewer of them because they're a different level. Again, I would be really disappointed when you've got 12 games scheduled for a player or a coach on our football team to not be excited to play this weekend.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=2441&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

That is what scares me!:eek: :bawling:

Hansel
September 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
hope they are getting some nice change for this game

Texas by 40 :)

kats89
September 26th, 2006, 12:05 AM
hope they are getting some nice change for this game

Texas by 40 :)

I heard the payout was either $300k or $450k. I dont know which is right. TT do you know?

MylesKnight
September 26th, 2006, 12:10 AM
SHSU 28, UT 27 ??

Anybody?? Anybody?? :)

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
SHSU 28, UT 27 ??

Anybody?? Anybody?? :)

: smh : as much as i would LOVE to see SHS kick da snot out of those cocky thugs, i'm a bit more of a realist...but, i do think SHS will stay within 50.

kats89
September 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well my question was answered to my previous post this morning regarding UT payout to SHSU to come to Austin to take the beating we are about to receive and to my disappointment I just couldnt believe it.

$275,000

I just cant believe that is all our Athletic Dept could muster out of the defending national champs and pockets deep enough to pay out a lot more.xcoffeex

To me, this game is not worth the money. :nono: Here is article below...

TEXAS LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

Why play Sam Houston State?
More and more teams like the Bearkats are appearing on the schedules of Division I-A teams.
By Suzanne Halliburton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Talk about a tough assignment for Texas Coach Mack Brown.

The annual Oklahoma grudge date is so close the Longhorns can almost smell the corny dogs served on the State Fair midway.

Yet next on the schedule is Sam Houston State — the first NCAA Division I-AA foe Texas has played in 14 years. The 2-1 Bearkats aren't even considered an upper-echelon team in I-AA, yet they stand between Texas and its date with Oklahoma in Dallas on Oct. 7.

Brown has a ready motto for such games. "Play to a standard," he tells his players.

Ignore people who want to downplay the Bearkats, Brown says. Refuse to listen if someone tries to steer the conversation toward the Sooners.

"It is a regular Saturday," Brown insisted Monday. "Ask the teams that have lost to I-AA teams so far this year. The only way this one gets big is to not play well or to lose it. So we'll play as hard as we can, as well as we can, and we've got to continue to get better.

"What we will fight this week is media and fans not talking about the importance of the game, and our guys need to be more mature than that. We play every game exactly the same."

It's a game with little upside, other than some members of Texas' banged-up defense can use Saturday to heal the bruises and sprains. Oddsmakers haven't even established a point spread.

In its only other game against Division I-A competition, Sam Houston lost to Southern Methodist, 45-14.

Samson-Goliath matchups make headlines when the giants lose: Colorado drops a home opener to Montana State, or New Hampshire shocks Northwestern.

But playing such schools has become normal now that the NCAA has expanded schedules from 11 games to 12.

Texas last took on a Division I-AA team in 1992, when the Longhorns opened the season with a 33-15 victory over North Texas. That season, I-AA games didn't count for bowl eligibility, and the Longhorns missed the postseason with a 6-5 record.

The NCAA now allows one victory over a I-AA team per season to count toward a bowl invitation. And many schools are playing teams from the smaller division.

Oklahoma is the only Big 12 school without a I-AA team on the schedule this season. The Sooners added Middle Tennessee State as their 12th game. Middle Tennessee has been a I-A program since 1999.

In the past five years, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State have played a total of five I-AA opponents. Nebraska and Texas Tech have each scheduled four.

This season, 14 teams ranked in the top 25 have I-AA opponents on the schedule, including No. 4 West Virginia, No. 5 Florida, No. 10 Georgia and No. 11 Virginia Tech.

Brown has been quick to point out that neither he nor his team had any input on the scheduling.

The Sam Houston decision for this fall was made in August 2005. Butch Worley, the UT associate athletic director who puts together the football schedules, said the Longhorns were looking for a "buy" game, one in which they didn't have to return with a road appearance. The initial opening was for Sept. 23, but Worley could find no takers.

Texas and Iowa State then agreed to move their game to the 23rd to allow the Longhorns a bit more scheduling freedom. Still, no takers.

Worley said several Division I-A schools showed some lukewarm interest but wanted between $700,000-800,000 to play the Longhorns. With many Division I-A teams shopping for an additional game, financial guarantees started escalating.

"These (I-AA) schools felt like they had some leverage," Worley said. "They could go to the highest bidder."

The most the Longhorns have paid a home opponent is the $500,000 Louisiana-Lafayette received last fall. Sam Houston will receive $275,000.

Worley said Monday UT has no more plans to schedule a I-AA opponent. The Longhorns still need to find opponents for the season openers in 2007-09.

Texas players weren't shrugging off Sam Houston on Monday. No one mentioned Oklahoma.

They've heard enough preaching from Brown.

"We're going to approach it like any other Saturday," said wide receiver Limas Sweed. "On any Saturday, anybody can win."

[email protected]; 445-3954

Freightliner
September 26th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Figures... Kirk Bohls (Sports Editor for AAS) would have somethin to say about you guys.

Even puts in a little blurb about Montana State beating Colorado and New Hampshire beating Northwestern.

LINK: How much do you know about Sam Houston?? (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/26//26bohls.html)

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Oddly enough, this is the first negative article in terms of making UT seem like they got painted as so anti-playing SHSU. Mack Brown has been very classy about it all, his typical style...

College Football Notebook: UT coach not thrilled with facing I-AA team

Web Posted: 09/25/2006 11:57 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

If Texas coach Mack Brown has his way, UT's game this week against Sam Houston State will be its last against a Division I-AA team.

When the NCAA officially added a 12th game to the schedule last fall, it left UT scrambling to fill a very specific date — Sept.30. UT officials say Sam Houston State was the only taker the schedule-makers in the Longhorns athletic office could find on short notice.

Brown spent much of his news conference Monday deflecting questions about the game, which will pit the Longhorns against a I-AA foe for the first time in 14 years.

"I didn't schedule it, (the players) didn't schedule it," Brown said. "But we still have to play it."

Texas-OU kickoff set: UT's game Oct. 7 against Oklahoma has been set for a 2:30 p.m. kickoff. The game will be televised nationally on ABC.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA0926.3D.fbc.notes.2e95c2b.html

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Article has a sidebar on all the I-AAs over I-As this season. Sure is nice to see all the coverage the Kats are getting and I can't say this article is negative in any light...

Bearkats are dreaming the impossible dream
Whitten wants players to savor trip into Austin

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Sam Houston State tight end Blake Martin was on a deer hunting trip to Mexico in January when he managed to pick up a television channel showing Texas and Southern California playing in the national championship game.

"I couldn't tell what they were saying, but I could tell who won," Martin said of the Longhorns' 41-38 victory.

He's about to get another look at the winner — and he won't need a translator this time.

Sam Houston (2-1), a Division I-AA school from the Southland Conference, will face the No. 7 Longhorns for the first time Saturday night in Austin. The meeting brings the highest-ranked opponent the Bearkats have played.

"Probably the only guy that's not horribly excited about this whole deal is me," Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten said. "We all understand exactly what we're getting into. We're going to fire our best shot."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/4217367.html

blackfordpu
September 27th, 2006, 08:09 AM
These quotes make me feel really good about our players:

"There's always that chance," Martin said. "It's not like we're going to go in there and give up."

"We could have the best game of our lives," Hancock added, "and they could have five or six turnovers. It could be one of those days when they have an off day and we have our best game and vice versa."

kats89
September 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM
The UT faithful are definitely dismissing this game. I hope their players take the same attitude. We just need to go in with a "nothing to lose" attitude and relax and play the game.:hurray:

bobcatalum05
September 27th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I cant decide who I want to see lose more. Hmm, if Sam Houston won they would think they are world beaters, and we would never hear the end of it. If Texas lost it would be a catastrophic meltdown in Austin and since I live here I would have a front row seat. xlolx

Can they both lose, that would be the ideal situation, but seeing the whorns meltdown from a front row seat sounds pretty damn good.

Heart Sam Houston and UT both lose!

Brain UT 100 Sam Houston 0

Good Luck Bearkats......I think!

kats89
September 27th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I cant decide who I want to see lose more. Hmm, if Sam Houston won they would think they are world beaters, and we would never hear the end of it. If Texas lost it would be a catastrophic meltdown in Austin and since I live here I would have a front row seat. xlolx

Can they both lose, that would be the ideal situation, but seeing the whorns meltdown from a front row seat sounds pretty damn good.

Heart Sam Houston and UT both lose!

Good Luck Bearkats......I think!

Let's not get crazy with predictions. That is all the UT fans are saying, 50% of them of which have never set foot on campus.

blackfordpu
September 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Let's not get crazy with predictions. That is all the UT fans are saying, 50% of them of which have never set foot on campus.

I agree, not saying that UT couldn't score 100 on us but MB isn't as classless as most bandwago horn fans.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
For the record, Chizik was at SFA from 1992 til 1997...the Kats split games, 3-3 against SFA over that six year period...

Chizik’s no stranger to Sam Houston State
By Cedric Golden | Thursday, September 28, 2006, 03:55 PM

Before he coached top defenses at Auburn and Texas, Gene Chizik was the defensive coordinator at Stephen F. Austin. He’s no stranger to the Sam Houston State Bearkats, SFA’s main rival.

“I was at SFA for six years,” he said. “I don’t remember the record against them but I remember we did lose to Sam Houston at one time or another.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2006/09/28/chiziks_no_stranger_to_sam_houston_state.html

bobcatfan06
September 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
"Probably the only guy that's not horribly excited about this whole deal is me," Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten said. "We all understand exactly what we're getting into. We're going to fire our best shot."

Man, what is wrong with Whitten. Someone needs to talk to him about his interview skills. He says some of the worst stuff, that if I was a player there is no way I could play for him. xidiotx

meeks82
September 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Man, what is wrong with Whitten. Someone needs to talk to him about his interview skills. He says some of the worst stuff, that if I was a player there is no way I could play for him. xidiotx

That's an old quote from a few weeks ago. At that point, he had no clue how good we are. Based on how we played against SMU, we can't realistically hope to beat Texas. We just need to stay healthy. That's what he isn't looking forward to this game and will be glad when it's over. I'd hate to see Phillip Daugherty get injured in the 4th quarter of a 51-7 game.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM
The amount of injuries is adding up for the Kats heading into the UT game...

Injuries thin out SHSU defense

Two more players to miss Saturday’s game with Texas
Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

The Sam Houston State defense just can’t catch any breaks when it comes to the injury department.

Last year, most of the damage came in the secondary where the Bearkats lost quite a few starters for most of the season. This time around, the injury bug isn’t singling out any one position; instead, it’s creeping up everywhere.

With defensive end David Branch out for the season with a shoulder injury and defensive lineman Alex Ruthstrom yet to have seen any action because of a back problem, the news only got worse for SHSU this week.

The Bearkats added safety Braylon Linnear and linebacker Nolan Bucek to the growing list of guys out for Saturday’s game against No. 7 Texas.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_272001543.html

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 06:48 AM
That's an old quote from a few weeks ago. At that point, he had no clue how good we are. Based on how we played against SMU, we can't realistically hope to beat Texas. We just need to stay healthy. That's what he isn't looking forward to this game and will be glad when it's over. I'd hate to see Phillip Daugherty get injured in the 4th quarter of a 51-7 game.

Welcome to AGS, meeks! Glad to have another Kat in our midst on these boards...:hurray:

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Nice piece on Michael Malone from the Daily Texan. Glad to see Malone is getting some good pub heading into the Texas game. This game has definitely given the Kats to get some things out there in a positive light...

Malone making a name for himself
By Cody Hale

Senior Michael Malone is looking forward to the Bearkats' game against Texas this Saturday at 6 p.m. at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Son of NBA great Moses Malone, Michael is one of the top receivers for Sam Houston State and has been garnering attention from coaches and NFL scouts around the country.

Michael Malone has always carried around some extra weight on his shoulders - it happens when you have such a reputation to uphold.

Malone, son of NBA great Moses Malone - who is recognized as one of the 50 greatest NBA players - doesn't see it as a burden. But answering the same questions time and time again does get old.

"I think some people try to test me a little bit, and with him being my father, there's going to be people out there questioning how good I am," Malone said. "I can't really listen to all that. I just have to stay on top of my game with everything."

And that's exactly what the slot receiver for Sam Houston State has done.

Malone leads the Bearkats this season in touchdowns (3) and yards per catch (13.4) with 11 receptions for 147 yards. He is currently fourth in the Southland Conference in scoring, and has nearly eclipsed his receiving production of last season - in only three games.

Some of this can be credited to Malone's transition from wide receiver to slot receiver during the spring.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2006/09/29/Sports/Malone.Making.A.Name.For.Himself-2316411.shtml?norewrite200609290753&sourcedomain=www.dailytexanonline.com

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Big step up for Brett Hicks, who will just be starting only his second game of the season. Lots of Bearkat faithful have high hopes for Hicks and have since he was a freshman. He could really step up and catch some eyes in this one...

Football: UT tall task for Bandera grad
Web Posted: 09/28/2006 09:38 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

The warnings began filtering into Brett Hicks' inbox earlier this week, creating a cache of text-messaged tip-offs that shared the same basic theme:

Watch your back.

Hicks, the former Bandera quarterback, is set to make his second career start for Division I-AA Sam Houston State on Saturday. It just so happens that start will come against the defending national champion Texas Longhorns.

Hence the ominous-sounding text messages from friends and family.

"I've heard my fair share of jokes," Hicks said, "about how hard I'm going to get hit."

That Hicks even ended up in the No. 7 Longhorns' line of fire this week required a little bit of luck.

Hicks, a fourth-year junior, began the season third on the Bearkats' quarterback depth chart behind a pair of fellow juniors — Wade Pate and Phillip Daugherty. He would have been bumped to fourth string had Oklahoma transfer Rhett Bomar been eligible to play.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA092906.08D.FBChorns.samhouston.2d090c3.html

kats89
September 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM

I am with ya on this one. Whitten says some things that just really make me scratch my head at times.:bang:

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Look at this crap...last I checked, most books don't do lines when I-AAs are involved anyway, regardless of the upset potential by a I-AA...

Texas has scheduled Sam Houston State this weekend and that game is so lopsided that there is no line available for the game at any of the sports books that I check in order to write these mythical picks. Texas has a huge following and many of those folks have been known to "go to the hip" to retrieve the wallet in order to make a wager on the Longhorns. Nevertheless, there's no line on the game. That tells me that the books couldn't write a line that would bring in enough money on Sam Houston State to begin to balance their ledgers. Now, maybe if Texas agreed to play blindfolded for the first and third quarters...

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=2969

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Go Sam!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :D :D :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :D :D :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :D :D :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :D :D :nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Former SFA assistant, current Texas coordinator Gene Chizik...

On what the Sam Houston coaches are probably thinking right now: I think they're really excited to play here. I think their players will be really excited to play here. When I was coaching in the I-AA league, I never got the opportunity to go play at a Texas or play at a school similar to this, but I can see how it would be very exciting for everybody involved, and I'm sure they'll be sky-high and they'll be ready to play, and it should be very fun for them.

On the biggest difference between I-A and I-AA: I think it's depth - the scholarship numbers. There are a lot of very good players in I-AA football and I think that sometimes that's overlooked because you're Division I and I-AA, but if you go through a lot of NFL rosters right now, you'll see a lot of I-AA. I think the biggest difference that I've seen being at both levels is definitely depth because of the scholarship number issues; they give 63 or 65 scholarships and we're at 85 and that's huge. And again, right now if you look at Montana State and Colorado, you can look at Stephen F. Austin giving Arizona all they want two weeks ago; there are a lot of examples across the board right now where the I-AA are giving I-A all they want and usually, if it doesn't last all the way down until the end, it's a depth issue.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=2448&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 04:16 PM
How many ambulances will they have for this game?:eek:

bfpu,
Not cool. This kind of stuff perpetuates the errant notion that I-AAs have to cancel the next game cuz they're all hurt after playin' a I-A.

I defy ANYONE to come up with stats that prove that playing I-As increases injuries or results in more serious injuries!

It's football.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
bfpu,
Not cool. This kind of stuff perpetuates the errant notion that I-AAs have to cancel the next game cuz they're all hurt after playin' a I-A.

I defy ANYONE to come up with stats that prove that playing I-As increases injuries or results in more serious injuries!

It's football.

That's what I told the folks over on the Lamar University fan board. They never really responded, though they were the ones saying the Bearkats would take a physical pounding and that I-A vs I-AA leads to injuries...

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM
That's what I told the folks over on the Lamar University fan board. They never really responded, though they were the ones saying the Bearkats would take a physical pounding and that I-A vs I-AA leads to injuries...

Some of those morts on the YSU site, esp. I-AA Fan, used this excuse for a long time to rationalize why they always skedded Slippery Rock, Clarion and Lock Haven instead of stepping out and lining up against Pittsburgh, Penn State and other I-A. They didn't get banged up in their I-A games this year or last. Just dumb.

:confused: :confused: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

kats89
September 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
bfpu,

It's football.

That ain't no bull. We lost our starting QB against a DII.

kats89
September 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Look at this crap...last I checked, most books don't do lines when I-AAs are involved anyway, regardless of the upset potential by a I-AA...

Texas has scheduled Sam Houston State this weekend and that game is so lopsided that there is no line available for the game at any of the sports books that I check in order to write these mythical picks. Texas has a huge following and many of those folks have been known to "go to the hip" to retrieve the wallet in order to make a wager on the Longhorns. Nevertheless, there's no line on the game. That tells me that the books couldn't write a line that would bring in enough money on Sam Houston State to begin to balance their ledgers. Now, maybe if Texas agreed to play blindfolded for the first and third quarters...

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=2969

I dont think they place lines on games involving I-A and I-AA.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I dont think they place lines on games involving I-A and I-AA.

We've seen some I-A vs I-AA lines this year on a site called betus.com, but I don't see Texas vs SHSU...they do have I-AA vs I-AA lines as well...

That remark about not enough business in Las Vegas because of this one is probably right...

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2006, 08:05 PM
bfpu,

It's football.

Geez, it was just a joke Cap'n. Do you need to revisit the "5 year old with a tramp stamp" thread. ;) xlolx

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Houston Chronicle Game Preview:

Sam Houston State at Texas

When/where: 6 p.m. today; Royal-Memorial Stadium, Austin.

TV/radio: No TV; 610 AM, 101.7 FM.

Records: Sam Houston State 2-1; Texas 3-1.

Series history: First meeting.

What's at stake: The game is a tuneup for Texas' annual showdown with Oklahoma in Dallas. Sam Houston State begins Southland Conference play next week.

Sam Houston State at a glance: The I-AA Bearkats are playing their highest-ranked I-A opponent. That distinction had belonged to No. 21 Texas A&M in 1997 fir a 59-6 loss at Kyle Field. Sam Houston has lost seven straight and is 2-19 all-time against I-A teams. Sam Houston has 11 fumbles and 15 interceptions in its last nine road games.

Bearkats to watch: Quarterback Brett Hicks is making his second career start. Tight end Blake Martin leads the team with 15 receptions for 163 yards. Michael Malone has three touchdown catches.

Texas at a glance: The Longhorns are 33-3 against teams from Texas since 1998. Texas is second nationally in rushing defense (24 yards per game) but has struggled against the pass, ranking 81st in Division I-A (209.5).

Longhorns to watch: The availability of defensive end Brian Robison (leg) will likely be a game-time decision.If he doesn't play, Brian Orakpo could get the start. Running back Selvin Young (ribs) will not play. Wide receiver Limas Sweed has three 100-yard performances in his last six games.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/fbc/4225458.html

youwouldno
September 30th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I took Texas at -45. Sorry.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Gameday Articles from Huntsville:

Bearkats’ chances vs. UT slim, community says
Some hold out hope
http://www.itemonline.com/local/local_story_273014953.html

A taste of big time college football
Bearkats excited about opportunity to face No. 7 Longhorns
http://www.itemonline.com/cnhi/itemonline/sports/local_story_273023932.html?keyword=secondarystory

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Articles out of Austin...

Game day matchups
Two to watch, plus how the units stack up.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texmatchups.html

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL
Hicks' steady hand leads Bearkats
New quarterback has yet to throw a TD — or an interception.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texside.html

Sideline Pass
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texsideline.html

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Articles out of Austin...

Game day matchups
Two to watch, plus how the units stack up.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texmatchups.html

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL
Hicks' steady hand leads Bearkats
New quarterback has yet to throw a TD — or an interception.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texside.html

Sideline Pass
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/30/30texsideline.html

Today will be the ultimate test for Hicks. If he can stay as cool and calm in the pocket as he has shown it will say a lot about him.

EAT'EM UP KATS!

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Even though the media and everyone else has written them off, the players still have great attitudes about the game today.

“I think the biggest thing for us is to come out and play hard because in the game of football, everybody puts their pads on the same way and does the same things,” SHSU linebacker Patrick Robinson said. “It’s not to take anything away from (Texas), but for us, a real victory would be to go out there and do the best we can do.

"We know they are good, but we just want to show we can hold our own and build some confidence heading into conference.”

“Our attitude has been great this week, and everybody is excited,” Robinson said. “The thing is, everybody knew this game was on the schedule and it was hard not to look at it. For any real competitor, you want to know how you will perform going up against the best.

“I think that anything you do positive in this game is going to stick with you,” Hicks said. “Everyone is going to remember that we played Texas, regardless of whatever the score is. With us being so close to conference, we are focused on getting better. We just need to go out and execute on offense and feel like we are getting better as a team.”

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Pre-game show starts in about three minutes...

There's going to be some serious issues with the broadcast tonight or atleast I think there will be because I figure all those pesky Longhorns are going to take advantage of our free feed...

Did have problems last week, but that was due to weather. The previous week, the audio stunk. Who knows what'll happen, but if all goes well, we'll have Kooter and Leroy...

Wonder what explanation we'll get during the pregame about this game. Throwing in the towel and such by the announcers...:bang:

http://www.tsrnsports.com/Broadcast/Broad-U-Sam-Houston.htm

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 05:39 PM
And here we go...

SHSU's pre-game show has kicked off...

Our PbP voice said DKR Memorial Stadium is a mouthful...that kicked things off!

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
FYI...

Live Stats are available at this link through the University of Texas web site...

http://live.texassports.com/2006/football/game/

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
An injury update...

TW says he's not sure when Braylon Linnear will be back, but Nolan Bucek will be back next week at Northwestern State...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Apparently Leroy made an appearance on News 8 Austin...xlolx

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
The PPV hasn't started yet. Have to wait unitl 6:00.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
The PPV hasn't started yet. Have to wait unitl 6:00.

You'll have to let us know how good a job Eschenfelder does...I know he's got an all-Texas crew with him...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Longhorns win the toss and defer...

Kats will recieve the opening kick...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Kats take over, 1st and 10 at the SH20...

Hicks comes in to take the steering wheel for the Kats offense...

Here we go! Largest crowd to see the Bearkats play in the history of the program...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Terry loses three yards...2nd and 13...

Pass complete...Malone...no gain...3rd and 13...

Hicks complete to Blake Martin...Kats to the SH31...FIRST DOWN!

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Terry for one yard...2nd and 9...

Hicks complete to Terry...three yard gain...3rd and 6...

Hicks throws incomplete...4th and 6...

Kats punt from the SH35...blocked...TOUCHDOWN TEXAS

Unsportsmanlike conduct...on Texas...will be assessed on the kickoff...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Unofficial Scoring Summary

SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter
Texas: Killebrew blocked punt recovery (Johnson kick), 11:27 - Texas 7-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Kats' Derrick Harris with a 24 yard return...from the SH8 to the SH32...

Second possession for the Kats...

Hicks throws it away...2nd and 10...

Four yard pass to Christian...3rd and 6...

Christian hit for another short pass, 4th and 1...

Parks in to punt...from the SH41...

Kick away this time...lands at the T28 and bounces to the T30...

Longhorns come on to the field for the first time...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Oliphent with a HUGE hit on Sweed!

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Terry for one yard...2nd and 9...

Hicks complete to Terry...three yard gain...3rd and 6...

Hicks throws incomplete...4th and 6...

Kats punt from the SH35...blocked...TOUCHDOWN TEXAS

Unsportsmanlike conduct...on Texas...will be assessed on the kickoff...
can't be givin away those type of TDs against UT

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Texas down to the SH1 on a Melton run...Melton into the end zone, apparently fumbles the ball...flag on the play, but refs rule it a TD...

SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter
Texas: Killebrew blocked punt recovery in the endzone (Johnson kick), 11:27 - Texas 7-0 SHSU
Texas: Melton 1 yd run (Johnson kick), 6:52 - Texas 14-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Kickoff...

SHSU brings it out of the end zone...SHSU will start of at the SH14...

Terry runs it up two yards to the SH16...2nd and 8...

Hicks complete to Martin, ball dropped, Texas recovers...no clue if we'll see a replay...may be Texas ball...

Texas gets the ball at the SH18...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Blog from Houston Chronicle...

Block party

Robert Killebrew, a junior from Klein, recovered a blocked punt in the end zone less than five minutes into the game to give the Longhorns an early 7-0 lead against Sam Houston State. Backup safety Tyrell Gatewood blocked the punt for the Longhorns, who lead the nation with 45 blocked kicks since 2000.

Killebrew was called for unsportsmanlike conduct for excessive celebration. Come on, give the guy a break, it's his first career touchdown.

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2006/09/block_party.html

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM
SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter
Texas: Killebrew blocked punt recovery in the endzone (Johnson kick), 11:27 - Texas 7-0 SHSU
Texas: McCoy 6 yd pass to Jones (Johnson kick), 2:39 - Texas 21-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Kats start from their own 20...

Terry runs 11 yards to the SH31 on 1st and 10...

1st and 10...Hicks hits Martin to the UT48...1st down!

Malone catches it out to the UT45...2nd and 7...Hicks is 8/10 for 55 yards...

Flags and whistles...false start, 2nd and 12...Hicks throws it out of bounds...

3rd and 12...Hicks intercepted...UT will begin at the UT43...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Snead in for Texas at QB...incomplete on first down...

Melton tackled after gaining three yards...end of the first quarter, Texas 21-0...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Chronicle Blog:

Empty backfield

This could be a long day for Sam Houston State. The Longhorns already lead 14-0 less than eight minutes into the game. Expect a heavy dose of 270-pounder Henry Melton. Selvin Young (ribs) will not play and Jamaal Charles, who has been banged up, will be used in a limited role.

Melton had six carries for 30 yards on the Longhorns' first offensive possession, scoring on a 2-yard run.

Chris Ogbonnaya, a sophomore from Strake Jesuit, is also seeing action in the backfield.

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2006/09/empty_backfield.html

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Texas is striking once more...across the 50 yard line and to the SH15...

Snead hands it off, no gain...2nd and 10...

Pass complete to the SH10...3rd and 5...

Timeout, Texas.

Snead runs it into the end zone...TOUCHDOWN TEXAS.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 06:55 PM
SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:
Texas: Snead 8 yd run (Johnson kick), 11:57 - Texas 28-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Kats go three and out...

Kats will punt from the SH19...

Bounces to the UT46...

Texas will get the ball for the second time in the second quarter...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
McCoy back in...seems they're rotating QBs...another touchdown drive...

SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:
Texas: Melton 1 yd run (Johnson kick), - 6:27 Texas 35-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Kats start at the SH30...

Incomplete on 1st and 10...

Terry picks up 17 yards on 2nd down...1st and 10, SH47...

Terry to the UT48...now has 33 yards...2nd and 5...

President Gaertner is the halftime guest...

No gain for Terry...3rd down...

Hicks throws incomplete...4th down...

Parks in to punt...SHSU bounce and rolls to the UT27...

slycat
September 30th, 2006, 07:14 PM
dang TT you give a complete coverage.

hopefully sam will get something going soon so its not a complete blowout.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Kats force the Longhorns to fourth down...

Longhorns are going for it with a 35 pt lead...unbelievable!

Longhorns don't get it on 4th down! TURNOVER ON DOWNS!

Tod
September 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Now we've had discussions about running up the score and class, but will ANYBODY defend ****ing Texas on that call? : smh : : smh : :nonono2: :nonono2: :mad: :mad:

Good job on the stop, SHSU!

slycat
September 30th, 2006, 07:20 PM

sounds like the kind of crap the aggies did to us last year. was it even a situation that would call for going for it on 4th down?

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Kats start at the SH38...2:09 left in first half...

Terry loses two on the first down...

2nd and 12...gains three yards...

3rd and 9...timeout, Texas...their second...1:00 left

Hicks is picked off at the UT45...the second time he has been picked today...3rd turnover today for the Kats...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM
sounds like the kind of crap the aggies did to us last year. was it even a situation that would call for going for it on 4th down?

SHSU has experience with this from Texas Tech last year...

A few plays later, I think the Horns called the timeout on 3rd down because they wanted to get their first teamers in one last time...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Sweed pushes down our DB...should be offensive pass interference, well it's not...touchdown Texas...

SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:
Texas: Melton 1 yd run (Johnson kick), 6:27 - Texas 35-0 SHSU
Texas: McCoy 42 yd pass to Sweed (Johnson kick), 00:18 - Texas 42-0

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM
HALFTIME

Texas 42
SHSU 0

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM
HALFTIME

Texas 42
SHSU 0
U-G-L-Y :eek:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Chronicle blogger Joesph Duarte...

How many shots does Smokey the Cannon have for a single game?

Predictably, the seventh-ranked Longhorns are manhandling Division I-AA Sam Houston State, 42-0, at halftime.

The only suspense is how many points the Longhorns will score. The school record of 92 points set in a shutout against Daniel Baker in 1915 is safe.

The Bearkats threw two interceptions, fumbled, had a punt blocked for a touchdown and punted three times in the first half. Sam Houston State has crossed midfield only once.

Texas outgained Sam Houston 302-90 in the first half.

The Longhorns are playing without their top two tailbacks -- Selvin Young and Jamaal Charles -- who are out with injuries. In their place, Henry Melton scored on touchdown runs of 2 and 1 yards.

Quarterback Colt McCoy completed nine straight passes to begin the game and finished the half 13-of-15 for 178 yards and two touchdowns. Limas Sweed made a beautiful 45-yard fingertip catch with 18 seconds left before halftime.

• • •

Defensive end Brian Robison, who injured his leg against Iowa State, is in uniform on the sideline but has not played in the game. Aaron Lewis made his first start of the season.

• • •

The most points Sam Houston has allowed to a Division I-A opponent in 80 by Texas Tech in 2005.

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2006/09/halftime_ut_420.html

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM
UT brings the ball to the UT41 on the kickoff...

3 yd run...2nd and 7...

Snead goes long...wide open...56 yard TD pass...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:
Texas: McCoy 42 yd pass to Sweed (Johnson kick), 00:18 - Texas 42-0 SHSU

Third Quarter:
Texas: Snead 56 yd pass to Shipley (Johnson kick), 13:44 - Texas 49-0 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM
SHSU takes over at the SH24...

Terry runs for 4...2nd and 6...

No gain on 2nd...3rd down...

Malone catches a pass...1st down! 17 yard pass from Hicks...SH46...

Terry gets into Texas territory, second time for the Kats today...UT45...

2nd and 1...Terry gets to the UT42, first down Bearkats...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Terry breaks free! Kats to the UT25! 15 yard pickup for the Kats! 14 carries for 67 yards thus far...

Down at the UT25...Hicks pass to Christian in the end zone, no flags...incomplete...

2nd and 10...Terry loses a yard, UT26...

3rd and 11...Hicks complete to the UT19...Christian with the ball...

TAYLOR WILKINS FG - GOOD! KATS SCORE!

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:

Third Quarter:
SHSU: Wilkins 36 yd FG, 9:12 - Texas 49-3 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Note...

Taylor Wilkins FG was the first Bearkat FG this year after missing four attempts thus far this season...

Kats have missed from 44, 42, 39 and 37...three of those kicks were against Ark-Monticello, the fourth against SMU...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry...missed the first two plays...researching those kicks

3rd and 7 from the UT38 for Texas...

Snead fires and hits Shipley for 12 yards...1st down at UT50...

Problems for the Horns...one yard after the fumble...SH49...

Melton picks up two yards...SH47...3rd and 7...

Snead complete, but short of the first down...4th and 1 from SH41...

Texas is going for it...Snead QB sneak...SH39...first down...

Four yard pickup on the run...SH34..2nd and 5...

Melton gets to the SH30...3rd and 1...

Sneak...first down...20th first down for Horns...SH28...

Melton to the SH24...2nd and 7...

September 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM
The first string offense is still in for UT?

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM
From the Houston Chronicle...

Bearkats score! Bearkats score!

Sam Houston marched 55 yards on the opening drive of the second half and scored on a 36-yard field goal by Taylor Wilkins.

The Longhorn defense continue to search for that elusive shutout.

http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2006/09/bearkats_score_bearkats_score.html

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Kats hit Melton at the line...3rd and 7...

4th and 2...from the SH20...Melton is stopped...flag on the play...HOLDING on Texas...

FIRST DOWN BEARKATS

Turnover on downs...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
The first string offense is still in for UT?

Nope. We got various players from all sorts of strings...

Melton was the starting RB today, but that 270 pounder is typically 3rd string RB...4th string RB (on a usual day) got pulled after botching a play causing a fumble...

I think we're 2nd and 3rd string WRs as I think eight different guys have caught passes...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
1:22 3rd Quarter

SHSU 3
Texas 49

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:13 PM
1st and 10...

7 yard pass to Terry...SHSU28...2nd and 3...

Terry goes nowhere...3rd and 3...

Announcers are talking about starters still being in on defense

End of 3rd quarter
SHSU 3-49 Texas

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:15 PM
For all the crap SHSU has gotten...this game is just about in line with the other games Texas has played this year (if we hold Texas to just one TD from here on out)...

GAME 1 Texas 56, North Texas 7
GAME 3 Texas 52, Rice 7
GAME 5 Texas 49, SHSU 3

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
First play of the 4th quarter...

Hicks hits Perry for a nice 12 yard pass, but pass interference on offense...ouch! That had nothing to do with the play either...

3rd and 17 now...from SH14...

Hick drops back, overthrows the reciever...still has not got sacked!...

4th down and Kats will punt...

Texas returns it all the way, 55 yards for the TD...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
SHSU @ Texas

First Quarter

Second Quarter:

Third Quarter:
SHSU: Wilkins 36 yd FG, 9:12 - Texas 49-3 SHSU

Fourth Quarter:
Texas: Cosby 55 yd punt return (Campbell kick), 14:18 - Texas 56-3 SHSU

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Illegal procedure on the kick...

SHSU takes the ball at the SH35...

9 yard pass to Perry...SH44...

Fumble...Texas ball...SH39...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
New QB, new RB...

Matt McCoy at QB, Foster at RB...

Hobbs no gain...SH39...

M McCoy...five yard gain..SH34...3rd and 5...

M McCoy...face mask on Kats...SH23...1st and 10...

Hobbs...three yard gain...SH20...2nd and 7...

Hobbs...loses yards...SH21..3rd and 8...

Hobbs...picks up a few...SH19...4th and 6...

Going for it...again (?!?!)...Hobbs stopped at the line of scrimmage...guess it makes sense...3rd 4th down stop...

Kats ball on downs...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Some horrible calls that went UT's way. :bang:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
SHSU from the SH19...

Hicks complete to Houston...2nd and 4...SH25...

Hicks keeper...3rd and 1...SH28...

Hicks complete to Perry...first down Kats...SH34...

Incomplete...2nd and 10...

3rd and 7 after Terry 3 yd run...

Two yard pass...4th and 5...

Kats punt...ball flies to the UT32...and gets fielded at UT33...

5:12 left...

Official attendance...88913...largest crowd in Bearkat history for any Bearkat football game...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
My respect for Brown has gone way down tonight. Still throwing deep when he is up 42-0? Give me a break, run the damn ball.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hicks has done well considering who he is up against. Still telegraphing his passes though. The two interceptions looked to be a miscommunication or the wrong route ran by the reciever.

They should put PD in for a few series though.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:41 PM
1st and 10...Hobbs goes nowhere...2nd and 10...UT33...

M McCoy runs for 8 yd...UT42...3rd and 2...

Hobbs loses a yard...4th and 3...

Texas punts for the first time...inside the SH10...

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Kats from SH03...

Terry gives Kats some breathing room...2nd and 8...SH05...

Terry runs a few yards...3rd and 5...SH08...

Six yards for Terry...1st and 10!

Terry has 20 carries for 81 yards...

Terry carries again...three yards...

Texas 56-3 SHSU - FINAL

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Curious as to what MB had to say to TW at the end of the game.

Good effort by the Kats but were just over matched by a much superior opponent. However, noise should not bother them the rest of the year. :nod:

Side note, the Kats ran for more yards against Texas than any other team has this season. :hurray:

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Positives...

1) SHSU final margin comparable to UNT and Rice final margins...
Texas 56, North Texas 7
Texas 52, Rice 7
Texas 56, SHSU 3

2) Brett Hicks was never sacked by the Texas defense

3) DD Terry, 21 carries - 85 yards

4) Longhorns only have 419 total yards of offense, much less than the ridiculous numbers thrown around prior to the game

5) Kats only have three penalties, one of which was arguably an awful call (pass intereference on Blake Martin)

6) First Kats FG of the year after missing the first four. Congrats Taylor Wilkins!

7) Holding the Horns on fourth down on three of the four times the Horns had fourth down

8) No injuries!

9) SLC play begins next week!

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Positives...

1) SHSU final margin comparable to UNT and Rice final margins...
Texas 56, North Texas 7
Texas 52, Rice 7
Texas 56, SHSU 3

2) Brett Hicks was never sacked by the Texas defense

3) DD Terry, 21 carries - 85 yards

4) Longhorns only have 419 total yards of offense, much less than the ridiculous numbers thrown around prior to the game

5) Kats only have three penalties, one of which was arguably an awful call (pass intereference on Blake Martin)

6) First Kats FG of the year after missing the first four. Congrats Taylor Wilkins!

7) Holding the Horns on fourth down on three of the four times the Horns had fourth down

8) No injuries!

9) SLC play begins next week!

I take it Harris is ok then. He came out cradeling his arm. I never noticed if he played again or not. Too busy xprost2x.:)

ASU Kep
September 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Good job, SHSU, not many in I-AA could do better then ya'll did tonight. You held your own.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
ESPN.com recap of the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262730251&confId=null

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I take it Harris is ok then. He came out cradeling his arm. I never noticed if he played again or not. Too busy xprost2x.:)

I think he had just gotten the wind knocked out of him and nothing wrong with his arm, unless he had a stinger or something. He was still returning kicks.

The stat the really jumps out at me tonight is we allowed NO SACKS!!!

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I think he had just gotten the wind knocked out of him and nothing wrong with his arm, unless he had a stinger or something. He was still returning kicks.

The stat the really jumps out at me tonight is we allowed NO SACKS!!!

Yes, that speaks volumes on the Kats OL. Hicks didn't seem to panic too much either.

Did you end up watching the game 89 or listening to it?

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 10:58 PM
UT destroys Bearkats 56-3

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN -- If this was a tune-up for Oklahoma, the Texas Longhorns' motor is revved up.

In a mismatch of colossal proportions, the seventh-ranked Longhorns devoured Division I-AA Sam Houston State, 56-3, on Saturday night at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

Next up for the Longhorns: the annual Red River Rivalry against the Sooners in Dallas.

By the time Texas completed its 53-point blowout of the overmatched Bearkats they had cleared the bench and were playing without a scholarship quarterback in the fourth quarter.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4227140.html

ravens
September 30th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Good job, SHSU, not many in I-AA could do better then ya'll did tonight. You held your own.

You may be a tad generous considering a loss by more than 50, but they did get their $275,000 which is why you take such a kicking.:twocents:

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/1001dnspoutgamer.2a94560.html

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Bearkats survive 56-3 beating

Longhorns jump on SHSU early, but scrappy Kats fight for four quarters

By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

AUSTIN — Quarterback Brett Hicks hit Blake Martin for a 13-yard gain to give the Bearkats a first down on their initial possession of the game, then things quickly got out of hand at Memorial Stadium.

Texas took advantage of four turnovers and two special plays breakdowns on the way to scoring pretty much every way possible as the Longhorns handed Sam Houston State a 56-3 setback Saturday night at Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

“I’m proud of the guys and the way they played hard,” SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. “We made too many mistakes and gave up two touchdowns because of our kicking game. We also had a couple of interceptions and fumbles, so we need to work on that. But I saw guys running hard and making plays, and I feel like we got a little better tonight.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_274010608.html?keyword=topstory