PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards

spoogemcgee18
September 24th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Discuss...

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Unproven. G-W is not a good team.

He will make mistakes against good competition, unless he's unlike every other young QB.

spoogemcgee18
September 24th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Perhaps he is not quite ready this year, but if his pass to Josh Johnson in the corner of the endzone was any indication of each player's next three years, whew. Lookout. Two diaper dandies right there.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 03:21 AM
He is still a work in progress. Mostly going on instincts and athletic ability right now. He hasn't read the defenses that well in his first two starts and he's has been poor on third down situations. I'm not sure about his arm yet. He's made a few good passes and has done well when throwing on first and second down, but he has misfired on some plays where guys were wide open. He will have to be A LOT sharper when App State plays the better defenses. Not trying to be too harsh, but Edwards still has a lot of work to do. I still think Trey Elder is going to play a big role at some point this season, with his experience.

SoCon48
September 24th, 2006, 07:30 AM
He is still a work in progress. Mostly going on instincts and athletic ability right now. He hasn't read the defenses that well in his first two starts and he's has been poor on third down situations. I'm not sure about his arm yet. He's made a few good passes and has down well when throwing on first and second down, but he has misfired on some plays where guys were wide open. He will have to be A LOT sharper when App State plays the better defenses. Not trying to be too harsh, but Edwards still has a lot of work to do. I still think Trey Elder is going to play a big role at some point this season, with his experience.

and he's has been poor on third down situations
His receivers haven't been too great on third downs either. We miss Jeramine Little badly.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
and he's has been poor on third down situations
His receivers haven't been too great on third downs either. We miss Jeramine Little badly.
It hasn't been dropped passes on third downs, it has been poor throws. ASU hasn't coverted many third downs this season. While Little was an excellent receiver, the Mountaineers have plenty of people to throw to. William Mayfield had a good night on Saturday.

BULLDOG8180
September 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Hmmm. 16-22 195 yds. 2 tds 0 ints
10 rushes for 101 yds.

Now, what is exactly wrong with that?

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
The opponent.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM
youwouldno don't worry you'll have FOUR years to watch this kid, should be fun.:smiley_wi

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not overly worried. He's talented but no Richie Williams. He might have played for Furman except I don't think he was qualified academically... Furman recruited him but didn't offer, I can't think of any other reason.

ASU Kep
September 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not overly worried. He's talented but no Richie Williams. He might have played for Furman except I don't think he was qualified academically... Furman recruited him but didn't offer, I can't think of any other reason.

He's waay better now then Richie was his freshmen year...and racking up PT.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 06:29 PM
He's talented but no Richie Williams.

few are, including any SoCon school.

to think that he will be the next Richie is crazy at this point.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
The thing is, you can't teach someone to be Richie, no matter how talented they are. Edwards has a better team around him than Williams did early in his career, so that will make things a little easier for Edwards.

In any case, I could not be more happy that Williams graduated. I'd be real surprised if Edwards ever goes 40/45 against Furman.

AppGuy04
September 24th, 2006, 06:40 PM
The thing is, you can't teach someone to be Richie, no matter how talented they are. Edwards has a better team around him than Williams did early in his career, so that will make things a little easier for Edwards.

In any case, I could not be more happy that Williams graduated. I'd be real surprised if Edwards ever goes 40/45 against Furman.

Richie had "IT"

I haven't seen a handful of QB's in person that had what he had. But..........................there is no telling what Armanti is capable of. They are of the same mold of QB, so its not impossible.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Richie had "IT"

I haven't seen a handful of QB's in person that had what he had. But..........................there is no telling what Armanti is capable of. They are of the same mold of QB, so its not impossible.

Luckily for the Paladins, there is a ton of QB talent in Greenville too. QBs are always a big part of rivalries, and the way the SoCon is now, App St and Furman are undoubtably going to be playing a lot of big games over the next few years.

Kiss My Apps
September 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned on here, but according to Armanti's profile on goasu.com, Renaldo Gray is his cousin!

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
hmm, that would be cool. Did Edwards go to Greenwood HS?

BULLDOG8180
September 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
hmm, that would be cool. Did Edwards go to Greenwood HS?

Yes he is a 05 graduate, and he could have gotten in Furman.

He is the single season total offensive leader from Greenwood High.

And I know the love affair all you App St. boys had with Williams, in 4 years you will be saying richie who?

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM
lol wow

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
For this season, it will be left to see how he will do. He'll get fire tested as their are easier stadiums to go on the road to than Paulson on homecoming and easier defenses to try and win a championship against than they nasty one at Furman.

I'm looking forward to watching the slug fest between a Senior Jordan Sorrells and Amanti Edwards in three years.

ASU Kep
September 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM

And I know the love affair all you App St. boys had with Williams, in 4 years you will be saying richie who?

Tell me your kidding.

BULLDOG8180
September 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Tell me your kidding.

Give him a couple of years. I didn't say you would forget about Richie this year.

At Greenwood High, Armanti comes from a pretty good line of QB's. I really didn't become a real Armanti fan until he put up over 400 yds TO against Byrnes last year. Then I became a believer. I watched him become the first QB in SC high school football pass for over 2000 yds and rush for over 1000 yds in a single season.

I know the game he is playing now is a bit faster, but he will be fine.

He comes from a long line of successful QB's at Greenwood High. The coaches get them well prepared to play at the next level.

The last 5 QBs from GHS all played either I-A or I-AA ball, a few did change positions.

Including Armanti, 3 are still playing.

Of course Renaldo Gray @ Furman
And Zearrick Matthews, redshirt Freshman @ Marshall, starting CB.

Hope you App St. and Furman guys don't mind but I will be supporting these young QBs this year, be careful what you say!:D

BULLDOG8180
September 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Unproven. G-W is not a good team.

He will make mistakes against good competition, unless he's unlike every other young QB.

Show me a old QB that doesn't make mistakes. Or show me any QB that doesn't make mistakes! That is a dumb statement.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM

NO ONE in NCAA history has had a game like that. Richie set two NCAA records that day for consecutive completions (28) and highest percentage (88.9) for the number of passes thrown.

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Richie Williams is the all-time total offense leader in SoCon history, rewrote the ASU record book and led the Mountaineers to their first national championship. The 2005 championship game will go down as one of the most memorable in I-AA history. Williams will some day have his number retired at ASU. Just like folks at Montana will always remember Dave Dickenson, and folks at Georgia Southern will always remember Tracy Ham, Richie's place in history is safe. Armanti Edwards is farther along than Richie at this point in his career. How much farther Armanti will develop will be revealed in the next four years. I'm not knocking his talent, I just think people need to taper expectations for him and allow him to develop naturally.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 11:39 PM
NO ONE in NCAA history has had a game like that. Richie set two NCAA records that day for consecutive completions (28) and highest percentage (88.9) for the number of passes thrown.

No kidding. I didn't even need to see or hear the stats, I told someone on the phone right after the game that he had gone 40/45 for 400 yards, just from watching. If anything the stats do an injustice to how good he really was.

With almost any other of his fellow college QBs, maybe any other, App would have lost that game. He's irreplaceable.

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Give him a couple of years. I didn't say you would forget about Richie this year.

At Greenwood High, Armanti comes from a pretty good line of QB's. I really didn't become a real Armanti fan until he put up over 400 yds TO against Byrnes last year. Then I became a believer. I watched him become the first QB in SC high school football pass for over 2000 yds and rush for over 1000 yds in a single season.

I know the game he is playing now is a bit faster, but he will be fine.

He comes from a long line of successful QB's at Greenwood High. The coaches get them well prepared to play at the next level.

The last 5 QBs from GHS all played either I-A or I-AA ball, a few did change positions.

Including Armanti, 3 are still playing.

Of course Renaldo Gray @ Furman
And Zearrick Matthews, redshirt Freshman @ Marshall, starting CB.

Hope you App St. and Furman guys don't mind but I will be supporting these young QBs this year, be careful what you say!:D

Don't misunderstand me, I think Armanti is going to do some incredible things in his time here and he's going to be a great QB. But I highly doubt anybody associated with ASU will ever forget Richie. Armanti has the physical abilities to be BETTER than Richie, sure, but the way Richie re-wrote virtually every QB record in school and SOCON history, the way he performed in the clutch, the '04 Furman game, and playing injured in the second half at Chatty to win us our first NC will never be forgotten.

Heck, I hope Armanti breaks all of his records (as we'll probably experience a very successful 4 years if he does :nod: ). But Richie will prove immortal in terms of ASU football lore no matter what. Maybe Armanti will join him. I hope so.

Saint3333
September 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Do you really think he would have rather gone to Furman anyway, with the offense we run and the atmosphere on gamedays? You may not be overly worried, but I think you are concerned. That game has been circled on both teams calendars since they were released.

Kiss My Apps
September 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM
One thing that is striking is Armati's size. He is listed at 6 ft (a bit generous to me) and 165 pounds, seems extremely small for a division 1 QB.

soweagle
September 25th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Is he a true freshman? If so, then look out SoCon after he has a year to get accustomed to the speed of college ball.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 08:55 AM
It doesn't really matter how good he might be. You just can't replace #7. Look at ASU's two games from last year against Furman and just look how much of the total offense Williams shouldered. At Furman he accounted for something like 90% of the Mountaineers offensive production. I don't think Richardson broke 70 yrds in that game.

That's the reason Furman will beat App this year. Not for lack of talent, but for lack of Richie Williams. :smiley_wi

AppGuy04
September 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Is he a true freshman? If so, then look out SoCon after he has a year to get accustomed to the speed of college ball.

yes, he is a true freshman

AppGuy04
September 25th, 2006, 09:00 AM
That's the reason Furman will beat App this year. Not for lack of talent, but for lack of Richie Williams. :smiley_wi

or so you are hoping:smiley_wi

BULLDOG8180
September 25th, 2006, 09:58 AM
If Armanti is able to stay relatively healthy, he should break Williams' career total offense yardage record.

spoogemcgee18
September 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
From now on, Armanti will be known as "Little Richard."

KiddBrewer
September 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
If Armanti is able to stay relatively healthy, he should break Williams' career total offense yardage record.

thats a bold statement.

BULLDOG8180
September 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM
thats a bold statement.

Throughout his career at App. St. Richie Williams avg. 217.9 yards total offense through 43 games that he played in.

Money has played in 4 games, starting the last two.

He has averaged 147.3 yds per game in all games, and in the 2 games he has started he has averaged 274 yds per game, and although the opponents weren't that tough, they are also his first 2 starts. While the competition will get better, so will Money.

*If he stays healthy and doesn't lose his starting job, it is reasonable that he will break the total offense record that Williams holds. Money should have the opportunity to play in another 40 reg. season games, plus play-offs, so lets say another 6 games.

That would be 46 more games- of course the key is staying healthy.

If he averages just 200 yds TO in those 46 games, plus what he has already, he would surpass Williams.

Again, the key word here is remain HEALTHY.

BULLDOG8180
September 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM
From now on, Armanti will be known as "Little Richard."

I think he would prefer "Money", his nickname from HS.

AppState
September 25th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Like you did in the semifinal?

youwouldno
September 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Do you really think he would have rather gone to Furman anyway, with the offense we run and the atmosphere on gamedays? You may not be overly worried, but I think you are concerned. That game has been circled on both teams calendars since they were released.

I'm just going off rivals and scout.com. Furman was always listed as one of his top choices, but didn't offer. App St came in more towards the end, I think New Mexico St may have offered as well. Who knows what he would have done? Furman is a better school academically and much closer to his home town. Moot point since the Paladins didn't offer, for whatever reason.

Saint3333
September 25th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I'm just going off rivals and scout.com. Furman was always listed as one of his top choices, but didn't offer. App St came in more towards the end, I think New Mexico St may have offered as well. Who knows what he would have done? Furman is a better school academically and much closer to his home town. Moot point since the Paladins didn't offer, for whatever reason.

That would depend on what field you would like to major in (business I'll take ASU, pre-law Furman). Both schools have great academic programs. I don't think a lot of these kids decide on schools based on academics if they're choosing between an ASU and Furman type program. I think they decide on the culture of the school (public vs. private). Academics are a factor, but we're not talking about a school with an average SAT score of 900 vs. a Harvard here.

I wonder if the national championship had anything to do with ASU getting some very solid players late:smiley_wi .

youwouldno
September 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I totally agree. App St is a good academic school, and there's a wider range of majors than at Furman of course due to size.

I would say though that the #1 thing for recruits is probably playing time. There are so many factors but guys want to play. Another is of course the school, it's football program, it's academics, the campus, geographical location, the coaches, what position they want the recruit to play, etc.

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Like you did in the semifinal?

xlolx :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mr. C
September 25th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Appalachian State struggled with the decision of whether to offer Armanti a scholarship, or not. They offered late. I think the committment of CoCo Hillary might have had something to do with whether to offer Edwards. In the end, they decided they couldn't pass him up.

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I was excited when we signed Coco. Can you imagine if we hadn't of moved him and we got a receiver named Puffs, Pops, etc.? DJ would have a field day.

BULLDOG8180
September 25th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Appalachian State struggled with the decision of whether to offer Armanti a scholarship, or not. They offered late. I think the committment of CoCo Hillary might have had something to do with whether to offer Edwards. In the end, they decided they couldn't pass him up.

The Citadel offered Armanti also, but he never was interested.

proasu89
October 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Since AppAlum went to the trouble of finding this....let's bump this baby and travel back in time.

biggie
October 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM
That was fun.

theasushow
October 31st, 2009, 09:40 PM
hahaha crazy!

Grizzaholic
October 31st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Big congrats to AE on being "the one".

T-Dog
October 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM
I still have a soft spot for Richie Williams. I'll never forget him and what he did for App. xnodx

And funnily enough, Richie has been mentoring Armanti this season.

I was at that G-W game mentioned in the first few posts. That was Armanti's coming out party where he won the starting job. I remember staring into the sun in Boiling Springs for the entire first half. Dexter Jackson had back-to-back punt returns for TD's in the 3rd quarter.

It's amazing how App has had two straight QB's who have been here for four years each and each rewrote the record books.

biggie
October 31st, 2009, 10:08 PM
And funnily enough, Richie has been mentoring Armanti this season.

At this point its probably more that Richie and AE are mentoring Cadet/Jackson/etc.

feb18blacksunday
October 31st, 2009, 10:13 PM
It is good to see how everyone raved over Richie and now Armani, both great QBs.

theasushow
October 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
It is good to see how everyone raved over Richie and now Armani, both great QBs.

and it's always fun to see coulson eat a little crow.

theasushow
October 31st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Richie Williams is the all-time total offense leader in SoCon history, rewrote the ASU record book and led the Mountaineers to their first national championship. The 2005 championship game will go down as one of the most memorable in I-AA history. Williams will some day have his number retired at ASU. Just like folks at Montana will always remember Dave Dickenson, and folks at Georgia Southern will always remember Tracy Ham, Richie's place in history is safe. Armanti Edwards is farther along than Richie at this point in his career. How much farther Armanti will develop will be revealed in the next four years. I'm not knocking his talent, I just think people need to taper expectations for him and allow him to develop naturally.

thanks dave, we tapered.

asknoquarter21
October 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
I am happy with his development!

Saint3333
October 31st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Where's youwouldno these days? I enjoy threads that I'm correct on. Big thumps up to Bulldog!

ASU_Fanatic
October 31st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Armanti is just un human....gotta be the greatest Mountaineer ever...

Saint3333
November 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM
The only Mountaineer that is in the discussion is Coakley. That guy could win games from the LB position. Hard to compare the two. Imagine if we had those two guys at the same time.

AppMan
November 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM
I am happy with his development!

with 9,000 yards passing and 4,000 rushing, I'd say so.

appst97
November 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
Great find!!! 4-0 vs. Furman, I'll bet that they are happy that AE is graduating as well ;) but carefull what you wish for, here comes another player wearing #7

BullDog85
November 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
First, watching AE these pass 4 years has been an exercise in dread and I'm so glad he will be moving on to a Pro career, I hope.

By all physical standards AE will be lucky to see the back side of an NFL Center. But I hope the one team that drafts him gives him a shot at the QB slot. Despite his size, I think he could run a complicated Pro Offense. He may not be the size of the "dog beater," but he's certainly a better passer than him and has the legs when the pocket folds.

MtnJumper
November 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
What a great trip down memory lane. Thanks for digging this up.