PDA

View Full Version : Big South Scoop

Thumper250
June 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Alrighty fellas,

What's the scoop on the big south league this year? My contact at G-W took another job, so I'm out of the loop. I assume CCU is the fave again, or do the 'Dogs have a few surprises up their sleeves (i.e. transfers, JUCO, etc.)?

rokamortis
June 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I can't speak for the other schools but Coastal has 22 starters returning including special teams. We lost a guard, tight end, center, full back, and corner.

So I think we will be strong, but I also think the other teams will be gunning for us as well. We have a much harder schedule this year so we may be beat up by the time we get to the conference.

I expect that GWU and Liberty will compete for the title and CSU to be much improved. VMI can't do anything but improve.

Thumper250
June 11th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks. Good luck against Appy and JMU. And SCSU I guess - you just never know how good State is going to be.

I do know G-W added a few midyear guys in January who were expected to help. And it seems like one of their incoming freshmen was highly rated, although I think he's a receiver and they have plenty of those coming back - barring injuries, etc.

I know Liberty lost a lot. CSU should be better, but, again, you never know. Maybe they'll beat PC this year.

The Gadfly
June 11th, 2005, 08:36 PM
G-Dubb went out and bought themselves some hired hands. :) Hopefully we can get you guys to become full members soon.

How would you like to see SC State, Delaware St., or Presbyterian College join the league for football? :confused:

Thumper250
June 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Presbyterian will likely do so. Kennesaw State is rumored to be pondering football as well, but who knows. G-Dubb as a full member in the Big South will hopefully happen within the next three years. Good hoops, good baseball most years.

Libertine
June 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Alrighty fellas,

What's the scoop on the big south league this year? My contact at G-W took another job, so I'm out of the loop. I assume CCU is the fave again, or do the 'Dogs have a few surprises up their sleeves (i.e. transfers, JUCO, etc.)?
Real tough to call.

G-W returns most of a team that was decimated by injury a year ago so I think your prognosis is pretty good. Your September schedule consists of 2 NAIA's and UT-Martin so I will be absolutely shocked if you're not 3-0 going into the Furman game.
CCU returns almost everyone off a team that cruised through a 10-1 season. This year, the schedule is much tougher and they will catch no one by surprise. 2005 will be either confirmation of David Bennett's god-like coaching prowess or a cold reality check.
LU was hit hard by injuries last year and hit even harder by graduation this spring. The entire starting backfield, the entire d-line and half the o-line are all gone. Very nice recruiting class but no coach wants to rely on freshmen. Could be a long year in Lynchburg.
Charleston Southern is bad. But they're not VMI.
VMI was horrible last year and is merely bad this year. While the injuries piled up in Lexington last year, primarily because they couldn't protect the QB. This year, they have the toughest schedule in the entire conference and if the line doesn't shape up, it could be another 0-fer for the Keydets.

The media pre-season polls don't come out till August but I'll put this out there:
1. CCU - The Shont-ee-cleers return a whole lot from last year's defending champs.
2. G-W - Return a lot and should contend.
3. LU - Lost a lot. Could contend, maybe not.
4. CSU - Just happy not to be the worst team in the conference.
5. VMI - The rat line just kills your legs.

rokamortis
June 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Charleston Southern is bad.

I don't know if I agree with that. They weren't fully funded until last year and they have a good coach and great QB. In the last two seasons they have signed 50+ athletes - quite a few from JUCO. I don't know what kind of attrition they have though. They are a young team that is maturing, much like CCU is - so I could see CSU make some noise this year.

Chanticleer is pronounced SHON-ti-clear ;)

Sly Fox
June 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'd be happy with three considering the attrition we've had this past year. Even at I-AA, it takes a couple of years for a good class to make an impact.

Some polls I've seen have as low as 4th ahead of only VMI. Hopefully, we fare much better than that.

Yeah rok, its good to be the favorite right now. But all the good fortune you enjoyed a year ago could turn around this fall. So well wait a few months before handing you guys the crown.

rokamortis
June 13th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Where am I saying give us the crown? I just said that we are maturing. If you look at what I posted above you'll see that I think the Big South will be competitive - no way I think we are a lock. Last year could have been a fluke against a weak schedule, so the guys have more to prove this year than last.

Libertine
June 14th, 2005, 09:01 AM
I don't know if I agree with that. They weren't fully funded until last year and they have a good coach and great QB. In the last two seasons they have signed 50+ athletes - quite a few from JUCO. I don't know what kind of attrition they have though. They are a young team that is maturing, much like CCU is - so I could see CSU make some noise this year.

Chanticleer is pronounced SHON-ti-clear ;)

CSU always plays us tough so I'm not going to say too much to rile them up. However, come on, rok. They aren't good and they're not mediocre. What's left? Yeah, they've made some strides and they'll make more in the future, but they're still bad. They played their best game of last year against you guys and it was over by halftime. I'll admit they have a very smart coach who has engineered that stall-ball no-huddle to a T to protect Drafts, but until they get some players at positions other than quarterback and wide receiver, they'll continue to struggle against D-I competition.

rokamortis
June 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Lib - I can't argue with their record. I'm just saying I expect them to surprise some people soon. Will it be this year? I don't know. if it never happens then I'll admit I'm wrong, but they just seem to be on the verge of doing some good things.

The Gadfly
June 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM
I have to say that Charleston Southern is following our lead. Their schedule this year looks like a mirror image of ours last season. I think that the new coach and the new alumni interest will turn this football program around. Don't be alarmed if these guys end the season ahead of Liberty or even Gardner-Webb. I'm not trying to smack, just warning you guys: Charleston Southern will sneak up on you this season. I'll go out on a limb and say that CSU will beat the Citadel in their season opener. :cool:

Lapper
June 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I have to say that Charleston Southern is following our lead. Their schedule this year looks like a mirror image of ours last season. I think that the new coach and the new alumni interest will turn this football program around. Don't be alarmed if these guys end the season ahead of Liberty or even Gardner-Webb. I'm not trying to smack, just warning you guys: Charleston Southern will sneak up on you this season. I'll go out on a limb and say that CSU will beat the Citadel in their season opener. :cool:

That's a mighty thin limb your treading on Fly. The Citadel might look past these guys. All in all it may turn out to be a pretty good/close game.

Does anyone know if Delaware State has been courting the Big South? Hell, has ANY team been courting the BSouth? :confused:

Mr. C
June 14th, 2005, 08:45 PM
That's a mighty thin limb your treading on Fly. The Citadel might look past these guys. All in all it may turn out to be a pretty good/close game.

Does anyone know if Delaware State has been courting the Big South? Hell, has ANY team been courting the BSouth? :confused:
I don't know if it will be this year, or next year, but CSU is ready to make a significant move. They have a personable coach, who is also a hard worker and very talented (among Jay Mills' past projects was recruiting and developing NFL draftee Ryan Fitzpatrick). They have been stockpiling some more talented players and are now fully funded and this might be a good year to move up in the Big South, with Gardner-Webb and Liberty losing some folks and VMI down. It wouldn't be a major shock to me if CSU beat The Citadel. The Dogs always kind of look down their noses at the Buccaneers and that could be dangerous this season.

On the subject of adding schools, the Big South legitimately needs two schools to be in position to get an automatic bid in the future, that way it is protected if the SoCon raids it and snatches away Coastal Carolina. The Big South has been having on-going discussions with various schools for at least two years. The Big South is looking for the right fit, like the SoCon is. I would be surprised if Delaware State left the MEAC, because of its HBCU relationships. Most likely, a new team in the Big South would come from a team moving up from D-II, or one starting a football program.

Hansel
June 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I don't know if it will be this year, or next year, but CSU is ready to make a significant move. They have a personable coach, who is also a hard worker and very talented (among Jay Mills' past projects was recruiting and developing NFL draftee Ryan Fitzpatrick). They have been stockpiling some more talented players and are now fully funded and this might be a good year to move up in the Big South, with Gardner-Webb and Liberty losing some folks and VMI down. It wouldn't be a major shock to me if CSU beat The Citadel. The Dogs always kind of look down their noses at the Buccaneers and that could be dangerous this season.

On the subject of adding schools, the Big South legitimately needs two schools to be in position to get an automatic bid in the future, that way it is protected if the SoCon raids it and snatches away Coastal Carolina. The Big South has been having on-going discussions with various schools for at least two years. The Big South is looking for the right fit, like the SoCon is. I would be surprised if Delaware State left the MEAC, because of its HBCU relationships. Most likely, a new team in the Big South would come from a team moving up from D-II, or one starting a football program.
Presbyterian?

Thumper250
June 14th, 2005, 09:30 PM
PC will be at least 2007 before the move is made, or so I've heard from some connected folk.

To my knowledge, Del State had been interested, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Perhaps a look West of the Mississip is in order. Who knows.

Mr. C
June 14th, 2005, 09:46 PM
PC will be at least 2007 before the move is made, or so I've heard from some connected folk.

To my knowledge, Del State had been interested, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. Perhaps a look West of the Mississip is in order. Who knows.
From my conversations with Big South folks, I'd say they are looking for a better geographic fit than someone out west, or Delaware State. Presbyterian would be an excellent fit.

Sly Fox
June 14th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Would SC State be a fit, Mr. C? It wouldn't seem like Dover would be that much of a travel problem.

ccujacket
June 14th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Would SC State be a fit, Mr. C? It wouldn't seem like Dover would be that much of a travel problem.
Maybe not for Liberty but that's a long way from Conway and a longer way from Charleston. Not to mention how far Birmingham-Southern would have to travel.

Mr. C
June 14th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I just don't see a strong, HBCU like South Carolina State making that kind of move, though I have heard that Hampton had discussions about going to the SoCon a few years back. Winston-Salem State, an HBCU that is making the move to I-AA from D-II and the CIAA, could be an intriguing school for the Big South.

rokamortis
June 14th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I've read that WSSU is looking to go to the MEAC. If that doesn't work out then they would be a good geographic fit for the Big South.

Libertine
June 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Winston-Salem has already stated that they're looking to join the MEAC. That's out.
Another poster previously stated that PC will not move up until at least 2007. According to what I hear, that is correct.
Del. St. is still exploring their options, albeit not very emphatically. With what's happened at Norfolk St. and FAMU along with the overall decline of MEAC sports, I hear that a couple of the other schools are privately "re-evaluating" their conference affiliation. Not enough to acually move at this point, but just enough to keep the fire under the commissioner.
I think that the future direction of the Big South really turns on how well Coastal does this season. If CCU does well, they will probably get an invite from the SoCon which they will accept. Big South commish Kallander will be officially out of time and forced to do something to protect the other football schools. Depending on how things shake out, this may mean out-and-out raiding the lower tiers of other conferences or allowing the football schools to become associate members in another conference (an arrangement probably much more acceptable to the MEAC than either the SoCon or the CAA).
On the other hand, if Coastal stumbles this year then Kallander can continue his plan (whatever that is) for developing the conference.

On a side note, don't get me wrong. Like a lot of people, I expect to see more out of Charleston Southern this year. However, from a public-relations standpoint considering their joke of a schedule and that CSU has been one of the worst teams in the country for the last decade+ (don't ask me, ask GPI), it would be absolutely disastrous for the Big South if the Bucs won the conference. I know that CCU had much the same kind of schedule last year, but CCU at least had the excuse that the program was in its infancy and they had no choice but to play those games.

ccujacket
June 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM
On a side note, don't get me wrong. Like a lot of people, I expect to see more out of Charleston Southern this year. However, from a public-relations standpoint considering their joke of a schedule and that CSU has been one of the worst teams in the country for the last decade+ (don't ask me, ask GPI), it would be absolutely disastrous for the Big South if the Bucs won the conference. I know that CCU had much the same kind of schedule last year, but CCU at least had the excuse that the program was in its infancy and they had no choice but to play those games.

Weren't they non-scholly back then though? I thought they just decided to take football seriously and start giving out more scholarships.

The Gadfly
June 15th, 2005, 11:02 AM
it would be for the Big South if the Bucs won the conference.

Actually the opposite would be true. You are only as strong as your weakest man... HEEEELLOOOO VMI??? If CSU started to get better name recognition, then that would also help out the league's name recognition. True their schedule is weak, but so was ours when we won "championship" last year. I just can't see how IF CSU wins the conference that it would be absolutely disastrous? :confused:

How do you guys like my signiture :cool:

Libertine
June 15th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Weren't they non-scholly back then though? I thought they just decided to take football seriously and start giving out more scholarships.
No, they've never been non-scholly. Until last year, they offered 42.

You are only as strong as your weakest man... HEEEELLOOOO VMI??? If CSU started to get better name recognition, then that would also help out the league's name recognition. True their schedule is weak, but so was ours when we won "championship" last year. I just can't see how IF CSU wins the conference that it would be absolutely disastrous?

Rather than force you to read my post over again, let me give you the gist of the schedule issue. Years in football existence: CSU 15, CCU 2. Only one of these teams has an excuse as to why they played a D2 schedule in 2004. Only one of these teams is also playing a D2 schedule in 2005.
As to the statement that you are only as strong as your weakest man, what does it say about the rest of the conference if our strongest man has been a perennial joke of a program? What prospective schools are going to take the rest of the conference seriously if it can be won by a team that gets annually thumped by Presbyterian College? Granted, if CSU can turn it around and be consisent over the course of several years, stops playing high school schedules and changes their overall reputation, then --- and only then --- will I be happy to see the Bucs contending for the conference crown.

rokamortis
June 15th, 2005, 04:38 PM
What timing. A friend of mine in the Big South commissioner's office passed me a copy of a fax sent from Big South commissioner Kyle Kallander to the AD at U of Richmond.
It is a written invitation for UR to "pretty please with sugar on top" join the Big South conference. ...

Lib - I know this was on a different post but it seems appropriate to follow up here.

Is this a complete joke or is it based on some truth? If true, are the spiders interested at all?

Mr. C
June 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM
No chance that Richmond joins the Big South (though it would set up good rivalries with VMI and Liberty in all sports), particularly when it practically has a standing invitation to join the SoCon. Richmond all along has pretty much said it will stay put with James Madison and William & Mary. If all three decide to go somewhere, they will do it together.

catamount man
June 15th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Get PC and Newberry. Not only do you get two teams who can and HAVE beat Big South schools (PC freaking owns Chas.Southern!), but you get "The battle for the little bronze derby" football battle as well. PC in the Big South would rock! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

rokamortis
June 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Screw it - is the OVC still looking for someone - what about the great west??? :eek: :eek: :D ;)

Lapper
June 15th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Screw it - is the OVC still looking for someone - what about the great west??? :eek: :eek: :D ;)

Hell yes Rok! Hooters Air now has flights out to Las Vegas so I would love to be in the Great West or even the Big Sky.

As for PC, they will come to the Big South in 2007. It's not going to help football because they won't be eligable until 2009...I think. :confused:

I can't see Richmond coming over to the Big South even though they would be more competitive here than in the A-10/CAA.

Libertine
June 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Lib - I know this was on a different post but it seems appropriate to follow up here.

Is this a complete joke or is it based on some truth? If true, are the spiders interested at all?

Sorry, rok. Total fabrication. The Spiders don't even want to schedule Big South teams let alone join the conference. They're only playing VMI because for the sake of historic rivalry.

rokamortis
June 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Figured as much - but you can never be too sure ;)

The Gadfly
June 19th, 2005, 05:44 PM
What are the rumors about SC State, Hampton, and NC A&T leaving the MEAC? If this is so would any of them come to the Big South? I think Hampton has been interested in joining the SoCon and maybe SC State joining the Big South, but what about NC A&T? Again this is only rumors I've heard over other boards.

Libertine
June 23rd, 2005, 10:58 AM
What are the rumors about SC State, Hampton, and NC A&T leaving the MEAC? If this is so would any of them come to the Big South? I think Hampton has been interested in joining the SoCon and maybe SC State joining the Big South, but what about NC A&T? Again this is only rumors I've heard over other boards.
In my estimation, they're just rumors. Over the years, I think just about every school in the MEAC has entertained the idea of leaving the conference, sometimes actually threatening to do so. To this point, the only one to pull the trigger on that decision has been FAMU. Unfortunately, when they pulled the trigger, they shot themselves in the head. I wouldn't expect to see any other MEAC schools jumping ship any time soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 23rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
Get PC and Newberry. Not only do you get two teams who can and HAVE beat Big South schools (PC freaking owns Chas.Southern!), but you get "The battle for the little bronze derby" football battle as well. PC in the Big South would rock! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

This to me seems like a great idea - to give some rivalry and history going in the conference. Furthermore, you then have 7 members and that opens you up to an autobid situation (unless Coastal jumps).

Thumper250
June 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Newberry is in absolutely no financial shape to even consider a move up. From what I've ready, they're having trouble keeping the doors open on an annual basis.

PC, however, is just fine.

I see the Big South as this by 2007:

Charleston Southern (BSC)
Coastal Carolina (BSC)
Gardner-Webb (ASUN)
Kennesaw State (ASUN)
Liberty (BSC)
Presbyterian (BSC)
VMI (BSC)

I heard Radford discussed as a possible football add as well, which would be great.

Sly Fox
June 25th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Radford is not a possibility for football anytime soon. Its not even in being discussed at all according to some folks over there.

If you've been following the discussion on MEACfans or some of the otherboards int he region, you know that the past few weeks have had some developments that have some of the aforementioned MEAC schools looking at their options. Whether they are willing to make that HUGE step away from their past is a question yet to be answered. But any of these MEAC schools who would like to jump ship to the Big South would be much more welcome additions than DIIs stepping up. But at this point, we'll take whoever we can get to attain an auto bid down the road. Well, anybody but Savannah State.