PDA

View Full Version : SoCon after the dust settles

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Week four cleared some things up for me. Furman and App seem to be well above everyone else right now.

It's been interesting to see the emergence of UTC in the mix now. I originally thought they would compete for the 3/4 slots with Western. Now we shall see if the Catamounts can rebound. UTC will cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams.

I have been very impressed with Furman's offense the past two weeks. They are beginning to show all kinds of different looks from wing-t, spread, flexbone, shotgun, etc. Will make things very hard on opposing defenses. They beat the snot out of a team that was supposed to have a pretty good defense tonight. Trap game coming for the Paladins. Road game in Spartanburg scares me from the get go. I truly believe that if Furman drops one, it will be this one. WC is tough at home and always upset minded.

Tough game for the Eagles. Schedule doesn't get any easier for them. Need to find other offensive output not named Chris Covington.

Western needs to rebound quickly. They are still a team that could make a playoff push.

ASU is still the team to beat, IMO. Looked good against a GWU team that gave them a tough first half. The October date with the Paladins looms larger and larger.

What are your thoughts?

Mr. C
September 24th, 2006, 03:25 AM
WCU is close to playoff caliber, but it closes the season with two killer games at home against App State and at Florida. I think 7-4 is the likely record for the Catamounts and a third-place finish in the SoCon.

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Chattanooga now looks to have the making of a good ole fashioned quarterback controversy.

Honestly, I have a lot more faith in Matt Lopez right now than I do Antonio Miller...Miller has a lot more athletic talent, but good Lord does he make some ill-advised throws (ill-advised is a nice way of saying bone-headed).

The best thing...though 99% of GSU seem to want to give Chattanooga ZERO credit on the game last night...is that UC's run defense has finally started to look good (it only took 3 years :) ).

That is the difference so far this year. UC has always had offensive talent...now they finally have some defense.

Oh...and the other BIG difference, they have now finally knocked off a team (that they have struggled with like no other) which will hopefully give them a big psychological boost to really know they CAN beat "Big 3" teams.

Now I just wish they would have started Lopez (or at least pulled Miller) during the WKU game (I know, ifs and buts...I am sure GSU fans wish the team would have gone for 2 after every TD). The minute the Mocs have a real threat to throw downfield, it opens up Buckley because it keeps the D honest (football common sense 101). After Lopez got in and made a deep pass or two...Eldra got some long runs (including a 59 yarder for a TD)

(I must say, in Miller's defense, he did not sulk for a moment when he got pulled...he is a definitely a team first kind of guy...I have a lot of respect for that)

It is only 1 game...I know the SoCon is a long hard march and I have no doubt there will be a number of twists and turns...for all the teams.

youwouldno
September 24th, 2006, 03:48 AM
GSU also lost, at home, to CCSU. So I'm not ready to declare UTC a threat to win the conference yet.

chattanoogamocs
September 24th, 2006, 04:06 AM
GSU also lost, at home, to CCSU. So I'm not ready to declare UTC a threat to win the conference yet.

Neither am I (and I didn't said they were)...way too early.

We will see if they are for real the next two weeks...an always tough trip to the boneyard next week then a huge homecoming game versus the defending national champions (who are 1-2 versus the Mocs in their last three on the road at Finley...all three games were decided by 3 points)

Kill'em
September 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
though 99% of GSU seem to want to give Chattanooga ZERO credit on the game last night...
I'm in that 1%. This game made me nervous because of your defense and it turned out I was right. Congratulations on the win and best wishes for the rest of your season.

Saint3333
September 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Go ahead and kick us while we are down. This is a good time to do it. I know there are a lot of people that have been waiting a long time to do it. So enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm not putting any game is the boro for ASU in the win column until I see 0:00 on the clock. Much like GSU fans do when the game is in Boone.

BTW we kick you when GSU is up and down more than any other team in the nation.:nod:

GreatAppSt
September 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm not putting any game is the boro for ASU in the win column until I see 0:00 on the clock. Much like GSU fans do when the game is in Boone.

BTW we kick you when GSU is up and down more than any other team in the nation.:nod::nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM

MAke no mistake about it, our team was better this week than they were in week one. We had our FSU transfer Lamar Lewis at RB, Jayson Foster was 100%. and we had all our stars on defense. UTC held us to 3 and out twice on our last series. Usually when you are down that late in the game when GSU has the ball, it's game over because of how well we run the ball. GSU fans are going to tell you the play calling was terrible, but if you look at the numbers we mixed it up nicely just as we did against Coastal.

I'm amazed at how many people aren't giving UTC the benefit of the doubt. If there is a Socon team that we need to be taking another look at, it's Western. I realize they were on the road at a team they beat last year, but you have to be wondering with how they laid down and died like they did. Only seven points that whole game. That kind of offense isn't going to cut it against UTC. Count on it.

We'll learn more as we watch more Socon games. GSU versus WCU this week.

asu70
September 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Go ahead and kick us while we are down. This is a good time to do it. I know there are a lot of people that have been waiting a long time to do it. So enjoy it while it lasts.
You know App likes beating you when your up or down. LOL on the rest of your season except when we come to Statesboro.

Kill'em
September 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
We need to make a lot of improvement before that or we will get embarrassed. I expect to see that improvement. This is gut-check time.

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM
We need to make a lot of improvement before that or we will get embarrassed. I expect to see that improvement. This is gut-check time.
No offense, but I hope you guys hold off on that improvement for the forseeable future, or at least until Nov. 12th. xlolx

asu70
September 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM

IMHO, I think the Eagles are improving each week ... it's just that Chattanooga is a better team than some people think. I know that they have a lot of talent and Allison is a very good coach. I hope the Apps improve and are ready for a tough game with them in Chatt in 2 weeks.

Appdad
September 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
This year we play GSU later in the season than in recent past.

Dang the luck!

GSU will be fully operational by the time App arrives...

Kill'em
September 25th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I hope so.

Eaglegus2
September 25th, 2006, 08:27 AM
The key to victory for Georgia Southern is the kicking game.

You have to make XP's and FG's within the 30 yd distance. If not, just look what has happened to the Eagles with their failure to make the kicks.

blueballs
September 25th, 2006, 08:44 AM

You have to make XP's and FG's within the 30 yd distance. If not, just look what has happened to the Eagles with their failure to make the kicks.

If GSU's placekicking is merely average they are 3-0 right now.

The fact that they continue to send Dudley out to duck hook kicks after his "performance" over the second half of last year plus the first 3 games of this year tells us what the coaches think about the other two kickers.

The truly sad thing is that they burned a scholarship on a kicker two seasons ago who hasn't sniffed the field. At the 1-AA level to use a scholarship on a kicker who deosn't play is puzzling to say the least.

OL FU
September 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Well the other obvious point here is that while some things have started to clear up, this is the first conference game for a grand total of 50% of the teams:cool:

I'll wait a few more weeks until I crown a king:read:

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 08:59 AM

You'll need more than the kicking game to beat Furman and App.

IMO, your defense needs to get used to playing more. For years GSU defenses have had the luxury of 9-10 minute offensive drives where they could sit on the sidelines cooling off. Can't do that this year. The Eagles have yet to play a stout defense that will hold Clark and co. to 3 and out. I'd be wary of a now pissed off Western team.

Eaglegus2
September 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM
You'll need more than the kicking game to beat Furman and App.

IMO, your defense needs to get used to playing more. For years GSU defenses have had the luxury of 9-10 minute offensive drives where they could sit on the sidelines cooling off. Can't do that this year. The Eagles have yet to play a stout defense that will hold Clark and co. to 3 and out. I'd be wary of a now pissed off Western team.

Hopefully, Western Carolina would be wary of a pissed off team from Georgia Southern.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Ah yes, but you're on the road.

Western knocked off App. State in Cullowhee two years ago, took us down there last year, and will most likely put a hurt on someone again. They do well protecting their home turf.

I would actually prefer them to beat the Apps, but you know, I'd be ok if they beat both of you :)

WCU LawCat
September 25th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I'd be ok if they beat both of you
Now that would be a pleasant change of pace.

Not counting Florida, all of our biggest remaining games are at home (App, UTC, GSU). We think we can get it back on track if the team stays focused and a few of the DL heel up.

Kill'em
September 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Believe me, I am well aware that Western could very easily beat us.