PDA

View Full Version : My new Top-25

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
so many teams falling left and right today. Here is a early new Top 25...

1 New Hampshire
2 Appalachian State
3 Furman
4 Montana
5 Illinois State
6 Youngstown State
7 Richmond
8 Cal Poly
9 UMass
10 Southern Illinois
11 North Dakota State
12 Hampton
13 Portland St
14 James Madison
15 Northern Iowa
16 Delaware
17 McNeese State
18 Eastern Illinois
19 Towson
20 UC Davis
21 Harvard
22 Western Illinois
23 Maine
24 UAlbany
25 San Diego

Just outside - Alabama A&M, Tenn-Martin, Sam Houston State, Northern Arizona, Bethune-Cookman, Monmouth, Elon

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
North Dakota is a Division II team

FlyYtown
September 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
All I want to say is this much. If this win YSU had over UC-Davis wasn't enough to get them in the Top 5... then i donno what win will.

UNHWildCats

1 New Hampshire
2 Appalachian State
3 Furman
4 Montana
5 Illinois State
6 Youngstown State
7 Richmond
8 Cal Poly
9 UMass
10 Southern Illinois
11 Hampton
12 Northern Iowa
13 Portland St
14 James Madison
15 North Dakota State ..yes?
16 Delaware :eek:
17 McNeese State
18 Eastern Illinois
19 Towson
20 Harvard
21 Western Illinois
22 Alabama A&M
23 UC Davis
24 UAlbany
25 Bethune-Cookman

:cool:

UNHWildCats
All I want to say is this much. If this win YSU had over UC-Davis wasn't enough to get them in the Top 5... then i donno what win will.

So what if our whole top 5 won we have to drop one of them to make room for YSU??

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
my bad...i didnt realize i left the State of of North Dakota State...hahahaha

Delaware is in only cause my poll i base around other polls, and silly other polls have them in.

SIDE NOTE - SAN DIEGO AND MONMOUTH ARE JUST OUTSIDE OF THIS TOP 25, I MEAN JUST OUTSIDE

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Delaware is in only cause my poll i base around other polls, and silly other polls have them in.

So this isn't really a ranking, but rather just a prediction of how other polls will turn out?

UNHWildCats
September 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
my bad...i didnt realize i left the State of of North Dakota State...hahahaha

SIDE NOTE - SAN DIEGO AND MONMOUTH ARE JUST OUTSIDE OF THIS TOP 25, I MEAN JUST OUTSIDE

So if i made a few polls and had Savannah St #1 you would rank them? comeon. research the scores and make a poll based on results and strenth of schedule.

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
no no...this is the first time i have made my own poll...to get a start. have watched tons of I-AA ball this year, and i wanted to start my own. To get a starting point, i looked at previous polls going into this weekend. My poll each week will be focused on this one i just started.

I looked at scores, strength of sched etc...dude I do broadcasting for UAlbany Athletics...I could have thrown Albany anywhere from 18 to 25, and i put them 24...so. I looked at this board poll, Sports Network...the 2-3 big ones, thats it

UNHWildCats
September 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
well take a day or so to evaluate it dont post a poll 5 mins after the last game ended.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 23rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
So what if our whole top 5 won we have to drop one of them to make room for YSU??
If you think YSU has been stonger so far this year, why not?

SDbison
September 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM

1 New Hampshire
2 Appalachian State
3 Furman
4 Montana
5 Illinois State
6 Youngstown State
7 Richmond
8 Cal Poly
9 UMass
10 Southern Illinois
11 Hampton
12 Northern Iowa
13 Portland St
14 James Madison
15 North Dakota State
16 Delaware
17 McNeese State
18 Eastern Illinois
19 Towson
20 Harvard
21 Western Illinois
22 Alabama A&M
23 UC Davis
24 UAlbany
25 Bethune-Cookman
Disagree with your top 25. I think North Dakota State should be a bit higher than 15. At least above Northern Iowa who lost to a DII team. If you didn't know NDSU knocked off DI-A Ball State tonight.

UNHWildCats
If you think YSU has been stonger so far this year, why not?

Maybe had they played stronger against Penn State I would automatically put them top 5. But at this point I dunno. All I know for sure is UNH and ASU are 1-2 the rest will be decided by around 5 pm tomorrow.

GD84
dude, its just my top 25...take is easy, geez...

FlyYtown
September 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
No... But I would put YSU up against any and everyone of those teams and would expect them to win all of them.....

I truly believe Youngstown St. is the real deal and is National Championship Material. Today's game in no way - shape or form was that good on each side of the ball, especially the offense. YSU has an explosive Offense, which has yet showed its true self after 4 games.

skinny_uncle
September 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Gateway play starts next week. Let's see how you stack up there.

FlyYtown
September 23rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Nothing against MSU or INSU.. but our first real challenging test in the conf. doesn't happen until October 14 @ Western Illinois. That game scares me a little bit. We did just barely beat them last year 23-21, and they are 3-1. Next week shall show how good of a road team YSU is.

Please don't take any of my comments personal, you just gotta look at it in perspective.. What will it take to make the Top 5, will it be a win over a #16 team, or over a 1-3 Missouri St. team?

Gateway will be fun this year!

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
no no...this is the first time i have made my own poll...to get a start. have watched tons of I-AA ball this year, and i wanted to start my own. To get a starting point, i looked at previous polls going into this weekend. My poll each week will be focused on this one i just started.

I looked at scores, strength of sched etc...dude I do broadcasting for UAlbany Athletics...I could have thrown Albany anywhere from 18 to 25, and i put them 24...so. I looked at this board poll, Sports Network...the 2-3 big ones, thats it

Definite east coast slant. Davis far too low and no mention of N Arizona. Now is Albany a top 25 despite a loss to Fordham (I would question any team with a loss like that on its resume)? And Elon being mentioned with a loss to Towson?

skinny_uncle
September 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Nothing against MSU or INSU.. but our first real challenging test in the conf. doesn't happen until October 14 @ Western Illinois. That game scares me a little bit. We did just barely beat them last year 23-21, and they are 3-1. Next week shall show how good of a road team YSU is.

Please don't take any of my comments personal, you just gotta look at it in perspective.. What will it take to make the Top 5, will it be a win over a #16 team, or over a 1-3 Missouri St. team?

Gateway will be fun this year!
With 5 of his top 21 in the Gateway, the league should be brutal (as usual).

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Definite east coast slant. Davis far too low and no mention of N Arizona. Now is Albany a top 25 despite a loss to Fordham (I would question any team with a loss like that on its resume)? And Elon being mentioned with a loss to Towson?

Davis took a lost, and didnt fall to far in my opinion. Northern Arizona just was able to pull out a win tonight. I can give it to them over Elon in that case however. Elon only lost by 7 to Towson, who I think is very good if you ask me. And we all know how you feel about Albany. Fact is, you beat two top 25 teams in two weeks, your in.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Davis took a lost, and didnt fall to far in my opinion. Northern Arizona just was able to pull out a win tonight. I can give it to them over Elon in that case however. And we all know how you feel about Albany. Fact is, you beat two top 25 teams in two weeks, your in.

Davis #15 to #23 for a loss at Youngstown? All the rest, fair enough. Just give the Big Sky some credit. We are a lot more, top to bottom, than just Montana. A win at Pocatello is very tough to come by. Do some research and you will see.

birdsflyhigh
September 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Flytown, you EXPECT YSU to win against the ISU Birds at Hancock Stadium in Normal? Yes, the Guins at home last year did come from behind in the last minute and a half to steal one away from ISU.
Hmmmmm? Don't think the Birds are going to be ready for some MAJOR payback? Hell yes!

It's starts for real now that we begin Gateway play. GO REDBIRDS!! :rotateh:

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
took a look at it, i will give you that...hey i said it was early...im making some changes as we go along

FlyYtown
September 23rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Flytown, you EXPECT YSU to win against the ISU Birds at Hancock Stadium in Normal? Yes, the Guins at home last year did come from behind in the last minute and a half to steal one away from ISU.
Hmmmmm? Don't think the Birds are going to be ready for some MAJOR payback? Hell yes!

It's starts for real now that we begin Gateway play. GO REDBIRDS!! :rotateh:

I said on my blog when I started it, that We will LOSE to Illinois St.

I know damn right what happened last year and I know damn right you guys are a great team. I still think we will lose there, but it will be very close. Let's worry about the tasks at hand before then.

GO GUINS.

GD84
September 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
lets just say i took a long look at Charleston Southern...I COULDNT IN GOOD HEART DO IT...LOL

Dane96
September 23rd, 2006, 11:24 PM

You are a complete pain in the you know what...like a kid brother. YES...some people believe UA is in the Top 25. Heck, they were i the top 30 (based on the receiving votes category) prior to tonight.

They have now beat, at the time of the wins, two ranked teams in two weeks.

Also, many teams lost this week (from the Top 25). Seeing UA move up to replace CCSU...isnt a stretch.

I do not agree with a majority of GD84's poll...but come on now.

And Towson is not so bad...now 4-0 after beating Hofstra...at Hofstra.

East Coast Bias? THIS ISNT HOOPS...keep Dickie V out of it.

Northern Arizona? Yeah, they are historically great. Yes, they played two I-A's. They got pasted by one, and the other...didnt look so hot today (ASU versus CAL). I give them a ton of credit, fighting through injuries and the first two games. However, blasting Dixie State does nothing...beating IDAHO State in Pocatello...puts you on the watch list or (and this is prior to my own review of whom I would rank) on the fringe of the Top 25.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
You are a complete pain in the you know what...like a kid brother. YES...some people believe UA is in the Top 25. Heck, they are in the top 30 (based on the receiving votes category.

They have now beat, at the time of the wins, two ranked teams

Also, many teams lost this week (from the Top 25). Seeing UA move up to replace CCSU...isnt a stretch.

I do not agree with a majority of GD84's poll...but come on now.

Dane, do you ever read all of my posts. Like I said, I would question any team in the top 25 with a loss to a team like Fordham. GD offered his rebuttal and I said fine. He did move Davis up and included N Arizona. The Big Sky has always been a strong I-AA conference. Do some research and you will see.

Give me a break...

Dane96
September 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Yes...I do...I did take a "reading is fundamentals" course; Your arguments are clearly "the east coast is bunk...the west coast should get more love."

You have said that for about two days.

And for the record, Albany is 2 points away from being undefeated, actualy 20 yards away. IT IS CALLED A HICCUP. You, are completely indifferent to every poll that put UA in the Top 30 or so prior to the game, where they beat #21/23 (depending on the poll).

Lots of teams lost (GSU, Western Carolina, CCSU...all bye bye from the polls this week).

WHy dont you come up with a different analysis other than ONE LOSS to Fordham...one that holds water...more like a "BODY OF WORK" argument.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Yes...I do...I did take a "reading is fundamentals" course; Your arguments are clearly "the east coast is bunk...the west coast should get more love."

You have said that for about two days.

And for the record, Albany is 2 points away from being undefeated, actualy 20 yards away. IT IS CALLED A HICCUP. You, are completely indifferent to every poll that put UA in the Top 30 or so prior to the game, where they beat #21/23 (depending on the poll).

Lots of teams lost (GSU, Western Carolina, CCSU...all bye bye from the polls this week).

WHy dont you come up with a different analysis other than ONE LOSS to Fordham...one that holds water...more like a "BODY OF WORK" argument.

Call it what you want. I call it a loss. I call it not being ready to play all your games. I call it Fordham upset you.

What would you have called it if Weber would have beat PSU today? A hiccup? Yeah, right. You would have been all over me (and rightly so).

Currently San Diego is undefeated, with a blowout win against one of the Ivy's (Yale). The Ivy League is doing pretty well against the PL, one of the leagues you love to knock on, because they have an autobid and the NEC has been beating them. No hiccups on San Diego's schedule so far. Are they better than Albany? I say yes. Will they show up in the Top 25? I say no. Why? I say people like you want to put as many east coast teams in the Top 25 as you can. That, my friend, is called a bias and it exists on every level in college football.

The ball is in your court. Show me why Albany is better than San Diego. Then show me why Albany should be above Northern Arizona and thus worthy of a Top 25 ranking.

RabidRabbit
September 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM
ND STATE is 3-0 with a win over a I-A. Pretty good for a transitional team. Should be top 10 if not top 5 material. :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
September 24th, 2006, 07:23 AM
No love for Sam Houston State?

We're 2-1 and the only team with a winning record in the SLC. Would be nice if we were included in the top 25 based on being the best (though it does not mean much) placed team in the SLC...

th0m
September 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I say people like you want to put as many east coast teams in the Top 25 as you can. That, my friend, is called a bias and it exists on every level in college football.

The ball is in your court. Show me why Albany is better than San Diego. Then show me why Albany should be above Northern Arizona and thus worthy of a Top 25 ranking.

It may be a bias, but if it is a bias its one of his own team, not the East in general.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Call it what you want. I call it a loss. I call it not being ready to play all your games. I call it Fordham upset you.

What would you have called it if Weber would have beat PSU today? A hiccup? Yeah, right. You would have been all over me (and rightly so).

Currently San Diego is undefeated, with a blowout win against one of the Ivy's (Yale). The Ivy League is doing pretty well against the PL, one of the leagues you love to knock on, because they have an autobid and the NEC has been beating them. No hiccups on San Diego's schedule so far. Are they better than Albany? I say yes. Will they show up in the Top 25? I say no. Why? I say people like you want to put as many east coast teams in the Top 25 as you can. That, my friend, is called a bias and it exists on every level in college football.

TO ALL, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE LENGTH, however I needed to defend myself to this guy. I think you will find some interesting facts here, however.

I am going to lay my cards out and try to keep this civil, however it is hard when someone makes up stories about another (as in you about me).

First of all, dont put words in my mouth. I challenge you to find a post where I knock the IVY's. I WORKED FOR PRINCETON ATHLETICS...FIRST JOB OUT OF COLLEGE, after coaching. I see about 10 IVY games a year. When did I knock IVY football?

Second, after my PM to you I thought you would understand. I have seen more college football than you could ever, ever hope to see across the country. MY JOB WAS TO WORK WITH COLLEGE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS, so I got to see plenty of games (for free...yippee) while spending months out West.

I HAVE NO WEST OR EAST COAST BIAS.

Show you why UA is better than San Diego? That is your miniscule challenge for me? Heck...here is the only reason why: WHO THE HELL HAVE THEY PLAYED...EVER! ARE YOU FOR REAL GUY?

San Diego has played one team...and demolished them. ONE TEAM. I think they are very good, however comparing UA's opponents to SAN DIEGO? Lehigh, Fordham, CCSU, Delaware...ALL (but Fordham...and who knows because YALE MAY BE THAT BAD) are better, no infinitly better, than San Diego's opponents. Heck, YALE barely held on to beat Cornell 21-9. CORNELL GOT SMOKED BY BUCKNELL THE WEEK BEFORE! Again, not a knock on San Diego, because I would love to play them...just their schedule doesnt mesh.

SO....there is answer one: THEIR SCHEDULE DOES NOT MATCH UA's.

NAU? I think I already discussed but here you go: First, I credit them because they have played two IA's with injuries. After that...who have they played. Second, the IA they lost the close game to (they were blown out in the other), Arizona State, has looked awful all year but for the NAU game. DID YOU WATCH THE CAL GAME? ASU couldnt find its way out of a paper bag. Sure, they played ASU well for three quarters, however in your book a loss is a loss is a loss. Yes, I give NAU credit for beating Idaho State in Pocatello, however that was their only real good win. Now, are you going to argue that UA's 3 wins, at worst, don't match up with this ONE WIN?

That being said, with A REAL ANALYSIS (something you fail to try to do) and NO WEST OR EAST COAST BIAS, the argument for inclusion to the Top 25 for Albany is simple:

1. Beat two straight Top 25 teams, one on the road (Yes, Delaware should have dropped out last week...they did not...their win this week will still secure their place in the polls...however at worst they were a fringe top 25-30). These teams were ranked in the Top 25 in not 1, but THREE POLLS (TSN, AGS, Coach's Poll) Delaware had defeated 13 straight teams OOC games at the Tub, dating back to their win versus GA Southern in the 2000 playoffs. Heck, I think they have lost something like 79 games in the HISTORY OF THE STADIUM

2. Have a top ten rushing Defense. Held Lehigh to net rushing total of 7 yards. Overall Defense is 13th in the country.

3. But for one late drive when playing the prevent, held the high powered CCSU offense to 220 total yards, and one of the nations top rushers and the NATIONAL LEADER in all purpose yards, Justice Hairston (6th in the country in rushing at 139.7 ypg) to 58 total yards rushing. BTW, CCSU averages 263 on the ground per game and is ranked 5th in the country:eek:

4. Defense has yielded 12ppg.

5. 2 points and 20 yards short of being undefeated.

6. Two games played with a True Frosh at QB (due to injuries and some early ints by our NO. 1 QB. Did I mention our top QB (no not our current two starters), Bret Hall, was suspended two days before our opening game and finally for the season for undisclosed violations. Basically we started the season without the guy we figured would start 48 hours before game time

7. 2 out of the three wins were on the road, one in inhospitable conditions (a massive rain storm), the other in front of 22,000 racious fans.

8. UA's win over CCSU is a HUGE RIVALRY WIN!

AND FINALLY (but I could go on, however I will save my esteemed posters from the pain in teaching you about the lack of "east coast bias":

9. Teams ranked ahead of UA and behind, that lost and will not see the TOP 25:

In the top 25 but moving out
Western Carolina
Georgia Southern
Nicholls State
CCSU

In front of Albany in the rankings and not moving up because of losses this weekend

Idaho State
Eastern Kentucky
Lafayette

BEHIND ALBANY...not moving up due to losses

Penn
Jacksonville State
Colgate
Hofstra
Montana State

Team with no movement and behind Albany (idle): SAN DIEGO...which most likely would move.

So...who the hell are you bringing in, besides Western Illinois and NAU, from the 36-40 to fill FOUR Top 25 slots, if you leave out ALBANY?

Now do me a favor...and actually synthesize a legit argument before you respond with: A) putting words in my mouth (that's twice...three times...well it would show your true colors) and B) You have an East Coast Bias (referring to everyone BUT you who lives out here).

We are not talking about playoffs, next week, next month. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RANKING A BODY OF WORK AFTER FOUR WEEKS OF FOOTBALL.

UA...based on that...IMHO, is a top 25 team. Of course JALMOND, you are entitled to your own opinion. Just dont put words in another mouth.

Next week is next week. UA could lose to Cornell and it would be all for naught.

WE ARE TALKING THIS WEEK!

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
ND STATE is 3-0 with a win over a I-A. Pretty good for a transitional team. Should be top 10 if not top 5 material. :thumbsup:

You may be correct!!!

Jaxhen
September 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
My top 25.

1. New Hampshire (3-0)
2. Appalachian St (3-1)
3. Montana (2-1)
4. Furman (3-1)
5. Illinois St (3-1)
6. Youngstown St (3-1)
7. Massachusetts (3-1)
8. Richmond (3-0)
9. North Dakota St (3-0)
10. Southern Illinois (3-0)
11. Portland St (3-1)
12. James Madison (2-1)
13. Northern Iowa (2-1)
14. Cal Poly (3-1)
15. Hampton (4-0)
16. UC Davis (2-2)
17. Harvard (2-0)
18. Eastern Illinois (2-2)
19. Sam Houston State (2-1)
20. Northern Arizona (2-2)
21. McNeese St (1-2)
22. Tenn Martin (3-1)
23. San Diego (3-0)
24. Albany (3-1)
25. Towson (4-0)

griz&beer
September 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I think you have a winner, Jaxhen. Montana & Furman could swing both ways.

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM
I moved Maine into my Top 25 due to

1. the lack of quality candidates for the last few spots
2. their 2-1 record with a road loss to a Top 5 team
3. a win on the road over an A-10 opponent (W&M) that they had never beaten on the road.

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM

3. a win on the road over an A-10 opponent (W&M) that they had never beaten on the road.

Very well could be a move I make aswell as I look to fill some 20-25 spots. wasnt a good day for those in my poll, or those "others receiving votes" last week

DaGriz
September 24th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Maine bias. :smiley_wi xlolx

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Uh oh...dont start Mr. Almond up....MAINE AND E. COAST BIAS...OMG...

Thankfully, Jeff lives in San Diego.

birdsflyhigh
September 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hope alot of poll voters give W. Illinois a good look for their top 25 this week. The Leathernecks are 3-1 and will very much be in the Gateway mix. And other than UNI"s D-II slipup (and of course, IN. St. in general..:o ), the GFC is looking pretty darn impressive so far.

I'd put the WIU Leathernecks in my top 25 over E. Illinois without hesitation...no doubt about that. Always look forward to checking out the polls each week. Who's up, who's down, who got the "big" win, or who got suprisingly upset. :eyebrow:

RadMann
September 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Maine should definitely be in the top 25 before UD......

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Maine bias. :smiley_wi xlolx

Nah......just a reminder. ;)

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Hope alot of poll voters give W. Illinois a good look for their top 25 this week. The Leathernecks are 3-1 and will very much be in the Gateway mix. And other than UNI"s D-II slipup (and of course, IN. St. in general..:o ), the GFC is looking pretty darn impressive so far.

I'd put the WIU Leathernecks in my top 25 over E. Illinois without hesitation...no doubt about that. Always look forward to checking out the polls each week. Who's up, who's down, who got the "big" win, or who got suprisingly upset. :eyebrow:

They debut at #20 in my poll.

poly51
September 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM
My top 25.

1. New Hampshire (3-0)
2. Appalachian St (3-1)
3. Montana (2-1)
4. Furman (3-1)
5. Illinois St (3-1)
6. Youngstown St (3-1)
7. Massachusetts (3-1)
8. Richmond (3-0)
9. North Dakota St (3-0)
10. Southern Illinois (3-0)
11. Portland St (3-1)
12. James Madison (2-1)
13. Northern Iowa (2-1)
14. Cal Poly (3-1)
15. Hampton (4-0)
16. UC Davis (2-2)
17. Harvard (2-0)
18. Eastern Illinois (2-2)
19. Sam Houston State (2-1)
20. Northern Arizona (2-2)
21. McNeese St (1-2)
22. Tenn Martin (3-1)
23. San Diego (3-0)
24. Albany (3-1)
25. Towson (4-0)

Cal Poly and 11 place drop after a 10 point loss to a I-A team seems pretty tough.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I dropped them to 10 or 11 (cant remember). They lost to one of the worst IA teams in history, basically a mid-pack IAA team.

Betcha anything you will see Poly drop significantly in every poll.

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM
You can't go on reputation alone. San Jose lost to Washington by 6 who beat both Fresno State and UCLA (this week by 10). San Jose also beat Stanford, and is now 2-1. Cal Poly should not drop that far due to a 10 point road loss to a 1A.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Ok, let's try this on for size.

Who has Poly beat to keep them in the top 8-9 teams, compared to the others in the top 8-9?

And don't use Stanford for an argument...THEY ARE TERRBILE. UWash...that is a good point.

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Poly fell 2 spots to 5th in my poll.

poly51
September 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I dropped them to 10 or 11 (cant remember). They lost to one of the worst IA teams in history, basically a mid-pack IAA team.

San Jose State is taking the rap for past years. This year they will prove to be much better than people think. Their offense scored 29 against Washington and 35 against Stanford. 17 against Cal Poly.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Ok if your going to drop Poly thats fine but a ten point loss to a IA on the road I don't think merits as big a drop as you have given them. Cal-Poly is still a force to be reckoned with.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 12:32 PM

That makes sense. That is legit, I would say (if I have an opinion).

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM
It depends on what you want to use as the most important factor - 1) how they have played, or 2) who they have played.

If it is how they played then CP should be ranked higher.

If it is who they have played then maybe you are right...but then what does that say about UNH. They haven't played anyone - Northwestern (2 wins came against teams that are 0-8), Dartmouth (0-2), and Stonybrook (0-4). Not to say UNH does or doesn't deserve the #1 ranking but rationale for placement should be consistent.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'll take that bet, Dane. San Jose is I-A win a win already over Stanford. They played Washington close (UW trounced UCLA last night). They clobbered EWU last year first game and EWU then made the playoffs. A fair drop would be 4 spots.

Your opinion regarding San Jose, I would say, rather skewed.

MU Alum
September 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
So...who the hell are you bringing in, besides Western Illinois and NAU, from the 36-40 to fill FOUR Top 25 slots, if you leave out ALBANY?

How about Monmouth....They are 4-0. They beat Fordham at Fordham 23-9, Morgan State 26-9, St Peters 36-12, and Colgate at Colgate 17-12. Colgate was recieving votes in 2 poles and ranked 16th in another. Monmouth has been arguabley the best team in the NEC over the last 3 years with back to back 10 win seasons and conference championships in 03-04 and they have beaten Albany 3 consequitive years.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Ok, let's try this on for size.

Who has Poly beat to keep them in the top 8-9 teams, compared to the others in the top 8-9?

And don't use Stanford for an argument...THEY ARE TERRBILE. UWash...that is a good point.

What are your getting at, Dane? Can't use Stanford? Can't use UW? The only other teams they played were Big Sky teams (2-0 against the Sky).

What exactly is your opinion on the Big Sky?

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 12:44 PM
How about Monmouth....They are 4-0. They beat Fordham at Fordham 23-9, Morgan State 26-9, St Peters 36-12, and Colgate at Colgate 17-12. Colgate was recieving votes in 2 poles and ranked 16th in another. Monmouth has been arguabley the best team in the NEC over the last 3 years with back to back 10 win seasons and conference championships in 03-04 and they have beaten Albany 3 consequitive years.

Thank you. Finally a cool headed argument for a NEC team. No hiccups on the Monmouth schedule. This one makes me think. How about Monmouth? They beat Fordham on the road. They beat Colgate on the road. They seem legit.

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 12:47 PM
It depends on what you want to use as the most important factor - 1) how they have played, or 2) who they have played.

If it is who they have played then maybe you are right...but then what does that say about UNH. They haven't played anyone - Northwestern (2 wins came against teams that are 0-8), Dartmouth (0-2), and Stonybrook (0-4). Not to say UNH does or doesn't deserve the #1 ranking but rationale for placement should be consistent.

Teams make there OOC schedules to there advantage as best they can. New Hampshire has 2 OOC games to fill each year as the Dartmouth game is locked in. They try for a I-A and then a I-AA. Surely they would liked to have played someone stronger then Stony Brook, but you take what you can fit in. New Hampshire beat a very good Northwestern team, dont discount that result just because Northwestern has had a weak OOC schedule. When the season is all said and done, there SOS will be a very good one.

Northwestern faces 4 top 25 teams this season and could easily win atleast 1 of them. They lost by 5 to a better Penn State team last year, and very well could win that game next week. They also beat Iowa last year and will look to do that again. Northwestern was 5-3 in Big 10 play last year and could do the same this year.

On top of that New Hampshire will play a tough conference record as well and they have the tougher games at home which will help. Regardless of where Northwestern is at this moment. New Hampshire is the most deserving I-AA team for #1.

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 12:50 PM

They were my first team out. If they win next week they will replace someone frpom 20-25 who will lose.

GreenDay17
September 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Teams make there OOC schedules to there advantage as best they can. New Hampshire has 2 OOC games to fill each year as the Dartmouth game is locked in. They try for a I-A and then a I-AA. Surely they would liked to have played someone stronger then Stony Brook, but you take what you can fit in. New Hampshire beat a very good Northwestern team, dont discount that result just because Northwestern has had a weak OOC schedule. When the season is all said and done, there SOS will be a very good one.

Northwestern faces 4 top 25 teams this season and could easily win atleast 1 of them. They lost by 5 to a better Penn State team last year, and very well could win that game next week. They also beat Iowa last year and will look to do that again. Northwestern was 5-3 in Big 10 play last year and could do the same this year.

On top of that New Hampshire will play a tough conference record as well and they have the tougher games at home which will help. Regardless of where Northwestern is at this moment. New Hampshire is the most deserving I-AA team for #1.

This was my major point. Dropping a team in the polls based on "who have they beaten" this early in the season is ludicrous. If they were thought of highly enough for an early lofty ranking and are playing well then why would you change your opinion without solid comparisons based on this year.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Possibly a good choice! My guess, they will get votes in the Poll...just on the outside.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Very good points and I tend to agree. One thing missing:

UNH DOMINATED THESE TEAMS! Not just beat...DOMINATED...sitting their first teams in the second half's of these games (but for Northwestern).

UNHWildCats
September 24th, 2006, 01:00 PM
This was my major point. Dropping a team in the polls based on "who have they beaten" this early in the season is ludicrous. If they were thought of highly enough for an early lofty ranking and are playing well then why would you change your opinion without solid comparisons based on this year.

Like I said earlier I only dropped Poly 2 spots, cause a loss is a loss. But they didnt get totally blown out.

I have said last week that my poll i take into account the games they played as well as the upcomming schedule. To me Cal Poly will be a top 8 team at seasons end and I will keep them ranked that way unless they lose a game they should win.

I didnt drop UNI as much as others either because I believe that DII loss while bad, was more likely the result of a bad day then anything else. I still expect UNI to be a very good team this year.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thank you. Finally a cool headed argument for a NEC team. No hiccups on the Monmouth schedule. This one makes me think. How about Monmouth? They beat Fordham on the road. They beat Colgate on the road. They seem legit.

You apparently dont read. I gave you an argument...now counter it.

And for the record...I had YOUR TEAM (which apparently I am bias against because I live in the EAST) moving significantly up in the polls.

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Northwestern did beat Eastern Michigan 14-6, and Eastern Michigan lost to Ball St 38-20. I'll be very surprised if Northwestern wins another game this year. They are down this year. Nothing against UNH, a IA Big Ten win is great anytime, but don't make Northwestern into a Big Ten power this year. And yes Minnesota is better than Northwestern too, so don't pull the Bison better beat the Gophers BS on me either. ;)

Jaxhen
September 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Cal Poly and 11 place drop after a 10 point loss to a I-A team seems pretty tough.

I like Cal Poly a lot and I think they will be much higher by the end of the year, but the other teams I put ahead of them have been strong also. I guess I was also a little influenced by their relatively close margin of victory over Sacramento State compared to Montana's large margin of victory over Sacramento State. I realize that strong defensive teams, like Cal Poly, are not necessarily going to have as large a victory margin as offensive minded teams. I was a big supporter of Cal Poly last year, and I think they will do well again this year.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
You apparently dont read. I gave you an argument...now counter it.

And for the record...I had YOUR TEAM (which apparently I am bias against because I live in the EAST) moving significantly up in the polls.

Far from cool headed. MU Alum showed me that Albany is not the best team right now in the NEC. They have not "hiccupped" yet. They beat Fordham, the team that, well you know. The also beat the PL (Colgate). They beat LaSalle, the team that beat a NEC foe (St. Francis). MU Alum shot my argument down in four sentences, not endless hot headed posts. I tend to believe, based on this (and no bias at all), that Monmouth currently is the best team in the NEC (and worthy of a possible Top 25 ranking right now). They are better than Albany and even better than San Diego.

If you want, show me where I am wrong and Albany is better than Monmouth right now, because I don't see it. That is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. Right now, again I say, I agree to disagree.

mainejeff
September 24th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I'm still not sure why some voters think that a team should not drop simply because it played a I-A :confused: You don't want your team to drop in the poll, then have your team BEAT the I-A. See: UNH, Richmond, North Dakota State, etc.

McNeese75
September 24th, 2006, 01:22 PM
dude, its just my top 25...take is easy, geez...

I agree, do your own thing :thumbsup:

Jaxhen
September 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM

The 20th to 25th slots were very difficult. I strongly considered W. Illinois, and maybe they should be in the top 25. You could also make credible arguments for W. Carolina, Maine, and Monmouth. I put San Diego and Albany in my top 25 out of respect for how far these programs have come; however, Albany will have to play well against Cornell for me to keep them in my top 25.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Far from cool headed. MU Alum showed me that Albany is not the best team right now in the NEC. They have not "hiccupped" yet. They beat Fordham, the team that, well you know. The also beat the PL (Colgate). They beat LaSalle, the team that beat a NEC foe (St. Francis). MU Alum shot my argument down in four sentences, not endless hot headed posts. I tend to believe, based on this (and no bias at all), that Monmouth currently is the best team in the NEC (and worthy of a possible Top 25 ranking right now). They are better than Albany and even better than San Diego.

If you want, show me where I am wrong and Albany is better than Monmouth right now, because I don't see it. That is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. Right now, again I say, I agree to disagree.

I am dumber for having read this.

GoAgs72
September 24th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Fortunately (or unfortunately), Cal Poly, North Dakota State and UC Davis all must still play each other. Anyone who can win both games will make a huge statement.

GABison
September 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Excellent point, GoAgs.!!!

grizband
September 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Fortunately (or unfortunately), Cal Poly, North Dakota State and UC Davis all must still play each other. Anyone who can win both games will make a huge statement.
Maybe more unfortunate, only one of those teams is eligible for the postseason this year.

Saluki_man
September 24th, 2006, 05:12 PM

The Great West along with both the Gateway and the A-10 are going to be blood baths. These will be the three best confrence races we will have this year.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Are we discounting the NEC race, where Wagner is 4-0, Albany 3-1, Monmouth 4-0, CCSU 3-1?

Or were you just talking auto-bid?

poly51
September 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Are we discounting the NEC race, where Wagner is 4-0, Albany 3-1, Monmouth 4-0, CCSU 3-1?

Or were you just talking auto-bid?
No auto bid for the Great West.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I know, which was my point. The top-heavy NEC will be a battle.