PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Monmouth

LEHIGH61
September 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
It looks like my great nephew Fred Weingart sewed it up with a field goal. Couldn't have pleased me more - knocking off Colgate.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Looks like whoever wins the Auto for the Pat league will be the only team seeing the playoffs this year.

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Looks like whoever wins the Auto for the Pat league will be the only team seeing the playoffs this year.
that's what we thought last year....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM

Will basically be a "bye" for UNH as well.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Unless an NEC gets an at-large...we could be the "bye" team.

;)

LEHIGH61
September 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Lehigh to resume dominance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
Lehigh to resume dominance.

LOL, atleast be pratical. Lehigh needs to get everyone on the same page. Without knowing how Lafayette and Colgate lost i know by being at the game that Lehigh really beat themselves against Albany and Princeton. If they play smart intelligent football, improve their special teams and manage the game better they COULD turn this season into a positive one. Lehigh's biggest problem this have not been due to lack of talent or being outmanned, just stupid things they've done to themselves. Harvard will be very very interesting. The hawks could lose four home games in a row for the first time since i don't even know if they are not 110% ready to play. I expect a close game, Lehigh's D has been pretty good for the most part. Their offense has to get on track for them be able to actually win.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Unless an NEC gets an at-large...we could be the "bye" team.

;)
One team will go to UNH the other to UMass.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Both are pretty close to me....and it would be cool if it were UA!!

;)

DetroitFlyer
September 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Let's keep those excuses coming. Explain to me again how the PL gains an automatic bid to the I-AA playoffs while the NEC is denied? OK, I'll save you the time and answer the question for you! The NEC is one of the best coached leagues in all of I-AA land. Jim Harbaugh at San Diego in the PFL is doing the same thing by the way.... The teams are winning games against "fully funded" teams with only a handful of scholarship players. AND.... Those of you in the old guard just cannot stand that a team that spends less than 1.2 million dollars per year on football can kick your behinds! There will be no justice in I-AA land this season if the NEC Champion does not get an at large bid to the playoffs! OK, your turn.... Let's keep those excuses coming....

cosmo here
September 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Let's keep those excuses coming. Explain to me again how the PL gains an automatic bid to the I-AA playoffs while the NEC is denied? OK, I'll save you the time and answer the question for you! The NEC is one of the best coached leagues in all of I-AA land. Jim Harbaugh at San Diego in the PFL is doing the same thing by the way.... The teams are winning games against "fully funded" teams with only a handful of scholarship players. AND.... Those of you in the old guard just cannot stand that a team that spends less than 1.2 million dollars per year on football can kick your behinds! There will be no justice in I-AA land this season if the NEC Champion does not get an at large bid to the playoffs! OK, your turn.... Let's keep those excuses coming....

because this is the first year that it has even remotely looked like an NEC team deserves a bid, and because this is the first year since the PL has had an automatic bid that there aren't one or more dominant teams ready to step up to claim it. :confused:

ngineer
September 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Obviously based on the past few weeks the NEC is in position to make a claim of 'legitimacy' for an auto--but one year is not sufficient. The PL had to wait about 6 years before the auto was granted AND THEN proved it belonged in the playoffs by winning a decent share of its games while sent packing against higher seeded teams.
Maybe the PL isn't as strong as in years past or maybe other leagues are raising the bar. Certainly, the system is always subject to re-evalutation and if consistency is shown the NEC deserves consideration.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I agree with these statements.

carney2
September 24th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Without knowing how Lafayette and Colgate lost

Don't know about Colgate, but Lafayette was physically abused by Penn, while Princeton outplayed, out-coached and, for all I know, out-waterboyed them.

Pard4Life
September 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Colgate.... what the hell?

As everyone has said here, you can't retract and add bids based upon one season of play. Upon what basis would the evaluation be? Outside of one season, historical evidence is titled much in favor of the PL. And San Deigo? Umm.. they don't play aann-ee-bod-ee. Get real Flyer.. NEC should whip the PFL anyhow. St. Francis would probably give the Torreros a run for it.

TheValleyRaider
September 24th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Monmouth deserves kudos for running an effective gameplan, moving the ball well (especially on 3rd down), and playing their hearts out. I hate going after the referees, mostly because it sounds like petty excuse-making and whining. However, we had 2 Touchdowns taken away by penalties (one on the next to last play of the 1st half and one early in the 2nd), both of which would have been huge game-changing plays. Not necessarily that the penalties were undeserved, but I also felt Monmouth benefited several times from uncalled offensive line penalties while on offense. It is my opinion (humble though it may be) that this was a major factor in a game that remained close to the end. It was a disappointing and frustrating way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

All that being said, that's the way the game happens, and you have to be able to create opportunities to win. Monmouth did and Colgate did not, the victory is certainly a deserved one for the Hawks. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Monmouth deserves kudos for running an effective gameplan, moving the ball well (especially on 3rd down), and playing their hearts out. I hate going after the referees, mostly because it sounds like petty excuse-making and whining. However, we had 2 Touchdowns taken away by penalties (one on the next to last play of the 1st half and one early in the 2nd), both of which would have been huge game-changing plays. Not necessarily that the penalties were undeserved, but I also felt Monmouth benefited several times from uncalled offensive line penalties while on offense. It is my opinion (humble though it may be) that this was a major factor in a game that remained close to the end. It was a disappointing and frustrating way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

All that being said, that's the way the game happens, and you have to be able to create opportunities to win. Monmouth did and Colgate did not, the victory is certainly a deserved one for the Hawks. Good luck to them the rest of the way.

Agreed. This was a wonderful win by Monmouth and they richly deserve congratulations. Best of luck as the season continues!

MU Alum
September 24th, 2006, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=TheValleyRaider]Monmouth deserves kudos for running an effective gameplan, moving the ball well (especially on 3rd down), and playing their hearts out. I hate going after the referees, mostly because it sounds like petty excuse-making and whining. However, we had 2 Touchdowns taken away by penalties (one on the next to last play of the 1st half and one early in the 2nd), both of which would have been huge game-changing plays. Not necessarily that the penalties were undeserved, but I also felt Monmouth benefited several times from uncalled offensive line penalties while on offense. It is my opinion (humble though it may be) that this was a major factor in a game that remained close to the end. It was a disappointing and frustrating way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
QUOTE]

Monmouth Also had two touchdowns taken away due to penalties. along with a turnover in Colgates Red Zone taken away due to a penalty.

Colgate is a great program and this was a very good win for us no doubt.

Dane96
September 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
MU is in my Top 25!

colgate13
September 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Colgate lost with penalties and not being able to adjust its gameplan away from the run when it wasn't working. We need to grow as a team.

and yes, Congrats Monmouth. You played like a solid team.