PDA

View Full Version : Wofford up on Georgia Southern 23-14 in the 4th qtr

Twentysix
September 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Wow!

What is happening to the FBS transitional team?

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I guess running up the score on SSU and StFranny didn't prepare them for Wofford.

Twentysix
September 14th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I guess running up the score on SSU and StFranny didn't prepare them for Wofford.

The same STFU that played JMU really close.

rokamortis
September 14th, 2013, 08:39 PM
The same STFU that played JMU really close.

Is that good for StFU or bad for JMU?

Twentysix
September 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Bad for JMU I think.

IBleedYellow
September 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
What?!

This season is crazy thus far. I thought Wofford was going to have a drop off after losing B this year.

AppMan
September 14th, 2013, 08:42 PM
30-14 with 2:30 left. I feel the Eagles pain!

NoDak 4 Ever
September 14th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Isn't this the Worst Wofford Team of all Time according to citdog?

citdog
September 14th, 2013, 08:43 PM
What?!

This season is crazy thus far. I thought Wofford was going to have a drop off after losing B this year.

I thought that too. Until about 20 minutes ago.

I was wrong.

Mike Ayers for Robinson Award.

blueballs
September 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Very embarrassing night for GSU... Wofford out played, out hustled, out hearted, and out coached them.

Congratulations to Wofford. They clearly wanted to win more than GSU and made it happen.

As for GSU, there was a lot of big talk about running the table, breaking records, and the like. There was the classless fake punt up 47 two weeks ago. They just got a big dose of humble pie served to them by a team that lost by 66 two weeks ago. Perhaps they should let that sink in...

cmaxwellgsu
One team has come in with a chip on their shoulder, and one team came in reading their press clippings. I give it to Wofford, they wanted it and it showed.

Terrierforlife
Good coaching tonight. The players stepped up and fought hard. Very proud of them.

citdog
September 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Isn't this the Worst Wofford Team of all Time according to citdog?

It is their least talented team in the last 7 or 8 years. This guy is a GENIUS.

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.com/files/2012/03/ayers-spring1.jpg

ElCid
September 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Wow. Wofford must have been jacked for this game. Impressive. Very good execution and capitalizing on Ga So mistakes was key. They showed no fear. Looks like Wofford is in a nice position in the SOCON now. I think their passing game confused us and now Ga So.

AppMan
September 14th, 2013, 08:52 PM
They only completed 5 passes but they went for 119 yards - almost 24 yards per catch.

Smitty
September 14th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Grats Wofford

woffordgrad94
September 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Final score was 30-20. I predicted 27-17. I knew we had a much better team than we were given credit for. I guess I am the only one who knew Wofford would win this game. I expect us to be on top of all of your SoCon rankings where we belong now. To GSU, it's been fun. Good luck in the Sun Belt (you will need it).

Mr. C
September 14th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Very embarrassing night for GSU... Wofford out played, out hustled, out hearted, and out coached them.

Congratulations to Wofford. They clearly wanted to win more than GSU and made it happen.

As for GSU, there was a lot of big talk about running the table, breaking records, and the like. There was the classless fake punt up 47 two weeks ago. They just got a big dose of humble pie served to them by a team that lost by 66 two weeks ago. Perhaps they should let that sink in...
The problem for teams like Georgia Southern and App State is that they have next to nothing to play for this year. Also, there are a lot of folks who want to send them to FBS with some stinging losses. Every team in the SoCon will give max efforts against the Eagles and Mountaineers this season.

CID1990
September 14th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Where's seantaylor?

CID1990
September 14th, 2013, 08:59 PM
The problem for teams like Georgia Southern and App State is that they have next to nothing to play for this year. Also, there are a lot of folks who want to send them to FBS with some stinging losses. Every team in the SoCon will give max efforts against the Eagles and Mountaineers this season.

I get what you're saying, but isn't that the case every year?

ASU_Fanatic
September 14th, 2013, 09:00 PM
they'll win the socon probably. big win

Squealofthepig
September 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM
The problem for teams like Georgia Southern and App State is that they have next to nothing to play for this year.

I'll disagree with that, and point to last year's Ohio State team as an example, and NDSU a few years ago. "There's nothing for us to play for" is a cop out.

Terrierforlife
September 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM

They should play for pride. Also, if you don't bring it when you play these guys, you get your but handed to you. Nothing different this year.

cmaxwellgsu
September 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Good coaching tonight. The players stepped up and fought hard. Very proud of them.

I have a gigantic amount of respect for your team. Y'all hear all the time about having weak recruiting classes, a small fan base and school, and just being limited to what you can achieve. Your team just smirks at it and goes out and achieves. Ayers and his players go out and execute, and y'all did it tonight.

citdog
September 14th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Where's seantaylor?

Hanging out at the OLD Treehouse singing "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas.....

blueballs
September 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have a gigantic amount of respect for your team. Y'all hear all the time about having weak recruiting classes, a small fan base and school, and just being limited to what you can achieve. Your team just smirks at it and goes out and achieves. Ayers and his players go out and execute, and y'all did it tonight.

+1

citdog
September 14th, 2013, 09:19 PM
WHIP MORE FANNIES!!!!

xsmiley_wix

Twentysix
September 14th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I'll disagree with that, and point to last year's Ohio State team as an example, and NDSU a few years ago. "There's nothing for us to play for" is a cop out.

06 and 07 at NDSU

20-2 3 FBS wins.

Ineligible for the FCS playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Okay I'll give y'all a quicky (it's party time here in Sparkle City)

this is NOT the least talented Wofford team in a while, if anything it's more of the same as we brought back 3/4 of the two deep. Losing Niam and EB were big, but we're really talented/deep at LB and running back, and people forget that. I think top to bottom this is the best running back corp we've had--definitely the fastest.

Defensively we played well, we controlled the game. We let GSU get too many yards on first down a lot but they're a really good team offensively, and we likely won't see a composition of talent and experience and execution for a while this season.

Offensively we're running a lot of no huddle and passing more and it's really catching people off guard. GSU's defense didn't know what to think on our first drive. You could categorize our offense as of current as a hurry up-option and it's really helpful given our scheme.

This game wasn't perfect, we made mistakes, but overall we played well enough to win.

I think we'll make the playoffs this year. We may even win the socon. Prognosticators say we run into problems every 4 years, but as of now we look more like the 2003 team than the 2009/2005 team (and there are more parallels), but we're probably more talented top-to-bottom than we've ever been and the scheme is gelling as well.

Beat Gardner Webb!

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Also, GSU has a great team offensively. There are holes in the defense, but nothing that can't have them accomplishing 8-9 wins this year.

Bisonator
September 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Congrats Terriers!

chattownmocs
September 14th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Hahaha. Can't wait to watch Chattanooga's D destroy these triple option offenses.

Go...gate
September 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hanging out at the OLD Treehouse singing "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas.....

I like that song. :)

Go...gate
September 14th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hahaha. Can't wait to watch Chattanooga's D destroy these triple option offenses.

You never know with the Wishbone - Army gave Stanford a hell of a game with the 'bone today. Stanford had trouble playing assignment football most of the afternoon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 14th, 2013, 10:35 PM
There was no problem with our player's efforts. We are trying to do WAY too many different things on offense. Also, as I have said at least a dozen times, it was a mistake to count out Wofford. They have had good teams without stars like Breitenstein and great defenses like they had last year.

chattownmocs
September 14th, 2013, 10:53 PM
There was no problem with our player's efforts. We are trying to do WAY too many different things on offense. Also, as I have said at least a dozen times, it was a mistake to count out Wofford. They have had good teams without stars like Breitenstein and great defenses like they had last year.

True that. 12 different guys ran the ball. Absurd in a competitive game.

Gringer1
September 14th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Wofford is a solid program. They are the classic example of a team that is better than the sum total of their parts. Georgia Southern simply did not want this one as much as Wofford did and Mike Ayers and his people deserve credit for that. GSU doesn't seem to want it very much this year. If I had to pick a team to lose to on the way out, I don't know that I would choose any other. The Wofford folks sail a good ship and deserve this more than most. It hurts me to lose, especially the last go around of a SoCon game, but Wofford deserved it more.

Mr. C
September 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Yeah, right. Like that is going to happen.

Southern Bison
September 14th, 2013, 11:26 PM

I drove down from Charlotte to watch the game and met up with GSU08 & Pike51 from AGS. To the GaSo fans, you were great hosts to my young son and I as we walked through your tailgate area with our Bison gear on. It was a pleasure to tailgate and meet so many fans that love FCS football and a mutual respect for our teams.

From a game standpoint, my take-away is what Mr. C said. I saw an uncharacteristic GaSo team that doesn't carry themselves like they have in the past. Wofford's front lines controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, played mistake-free football and there was simply more heart and "want" from the Terriers for the entire game. For the Eagles, I do see a rising star in #4, QB Kevin Ellison (RFr). He will be your leader as you step into the Sun Belt and the silver lining to this season will be the amount of playing time and experience he gets. He has a good arm and will open up an air attack for GaSo while still having that triple-option threat.

cmaxwellgsu
September 14th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I drove down from Charlotte to watch the game and met up with GSU08 & Pike51 from AGS. To the GaSo fans, you were great hosts to my young son and I as we walked through your tailgate area with our Bison gear on. It was a pleasure to tailgate and meet so many fans that love FCS football and a mutual respect for our teams.

From a game standpoint, my take-away is what Mr. C said. I saw an uncharacteristic GaSo team that doesn't carry themselves like they have in the past. Wofford's front lines controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, played mistake-free football and there was simply more heart and "want" from the Terriers for the entire game. For the Eagles, I do see a rising star in #4, QB Kevin Ellison (RFr). He will be your leader as you step into the Sun Belt and the silver lining to this season will be the amount of playing time and experience he gets. He has a good arm and will open up an air attack for GaSo while still having that triple-option threat.

Thanks for the kind words. I've never met Pike or GSU08, but I'd love to have a beer with them. Hopefully, you will come to more of our games as well. I hope this game gets our guys fired up. As for tonight, I'll just say hats off to Wofford while we regroup.....

Reign of Terrier
September 14th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Wofford has never been faster at running back. Never.

ThompsonThe
September 15th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Wofford has been a strong football program for a long time. Seems that people keep forgetting that. Doesn't hurt to have the Carolina Panthers summer camp there and Jerry Richardson as an alum, even though he gave $10,000,000 and a few other million to UNCC recently.

Eaglesrus
September 15th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Congratulations to the Terriers. Clearly out-everythinged us yesterday and were the superior team by a good margin.

seantaylor
September 15th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Our problem is very obvious outside of a lack of effort. Incorporating the shotgun and other formations has killed what we do best. The sad part is that there was absolutely no reason to tinker with the offense.

dungeonjoe
September 15th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Truthfully, I am sad to see GSU's era in the SoCon end. This rivalry as of late made Wofford a stronger program. I think stupid penalties were a minor problem tonight, but overall, the dogs played very well. Not bad, for the "least talented Wofford team in years."
The GSU QB is great and silly fast.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2013, 04:38 AM

I agree. We thought we could roll our helmets out there and win. Our coaches can say we didn't have a problem with desire to win, but I saw a team look piss poor with piss poor effort against a team that wanted to punch us in the mouth for the last time. We are a much better team than what I saw last night....that's the most frustrating thing about this game.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Wofford has never been faster at running back. Never.

Makes you look a lot faster when the defense is on the ground or getting driven out of the play. I didn't see anything that showed ya'll were faster than you have been in the past, but with good blocking it doesn't matter. You're gonna plow over people.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Our problem is very obvious outside of a lack of effort. Incorporating the shotgun and other formations has killed what we do best. The sad part is that there was absolutely no reason to tinker with the offense.

Yet Wofford made us their bitch running all kinds of formations all over us. Execution killed us, plain and simple. Saw way too many missed blocks. Diving at someone's feet is not going to take them out of the play.

seantaylor
September 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Yet Wofford made us their bitch running all kinds of formations all over us. Execution killed us, plain and simple. Saw way too many missed blocks. Diving at someone's feet is not going to take them out of the play.

You are living in denial. That's cool, though. Wofford running all kinds of formations? What game were you watching?

Execution killed us because we are becoming the status quo. I forget who said it, but it is becoming very apparent that Brent Davis is looking for his next job. Very ironic, because if we keep running the gun all year, we will have the worst record in the Monken era. I love Jeff Monken, but it is time he drops the hammer. We are a flexbone team under center. Like Novacaine. Always works.

Saint3333
September 15th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I thought this was an exhibition game why so many posts?

OL FU
September 15th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I thought this was an exhibition game why so many posts?

Cause the exit - bitionist lost:)

walliver
September 15th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I have the impression, no real knowledge, that Monken and Company are transitioning the offense to a more "FBS-type" offense. The purist wingbone favored by Paul Johnson looks great when it clicks, but horrible when it doesn't. Georgia Southern is already at the top of option recruiting, somewhat behind GT, but on a par with the academies, and probably a notch ahead of the rest of FCS. The quality of GSU's future recruits, as far as option skills, will not increase much with the transition. I suspect we will see a lot more option-I from GSU next year. After this week's loss, I suspect we will see a lot more wingbone next game from the Eagles.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I agree. We thought we could roll our helmets out there and win. Our coaches can say we didn't have a problem with desire to win, but I saw a team look piss poor with piss poor effort against a team that wanted to punch us in the mouth for the last time. We are a much better team than what I saw last night....that's the most frustrating thing about this game.

The effort was fine. The problem is trying to force what isn't there. Wofford took away everything on the perimeter and we kept trying to run through it.

eaglewraith
September 15th, 2013, 08:38 AM
The effort was fine. The problem is trying to force what isn't there. Wofford took away everything on the perimeter and we kept trying to run through it.

Were you watching the half assed blocks? That's what I mean by piss poor effort. We looked like GT out there just diving at people's feet and expected them to stay out of the play. We only had 2 possessions or so where we blocked anything close to what we need to. Wofford was doing a great job of it all night and that's why our defense looked terrible, they were either on the ground or driven out of the play. They put on an option clinic last night.

Roll Eagle
September 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM

It was good meeting you yesterday. I was the guy with the GSU flag.

I've been to a lot of GSU games and we were completely out of character. Just looking at the guys, they just didn't look like they cared at all. And it rubbed off on our fans. I was pretty angry myself because normally we put much more heart into it.

Wofford deserves plenty of credit as well and I hope they can represent the SoCon for us in the playoffs this year. They totally killed us on the turnover battle. It was awful.

CID1990
September 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Two pages in a thread about a GSU conference loss and nobody has blamed the refs yet.

Cue the drums and fifes playing "The World Turned Upside Down"

GSUsTALON
September 16th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Worst game I've listened to since the "Dark Times". Way to much going on to modify the offense. Monken's worst game in 4 years.

GSUsTALON
September 16th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Two pages in a thread about a GSU conference loss and nobody has blamed the refs yet.

Cue the drums and fifes playing "The World Turned Upside Down"

7 fumbles & 2 pix. Our players ran into the refs which caused 5 fumbles. The refs were clearly in front of GSU players on purpose..... ;-)

dungeonjoe
September 16th, 2013, 06:06 AM
The officiating looked bad equally or equally bad, whichever. In other words, par for the SoCon.

GSUsTALON
September 16th, 2013, 06:21 AM
The officiating looked bad equally or equally bad, whichever. In other words, par for the SoCon.

Great game by Wofford, dungeonjoe & youngdogyfan. Superior Execution by Wofford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94Terrier
September 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I wasn't there, but listened to the Wofford radio broadcast. I kept asking myself, "Why am I not hearing Dominique Swope's name mentioned more often?" Was he in the coach's doghouse, hurt? He is a beast and normally gives us fits. Any GSU fan have an answer to this?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I wasn't there, but listened to the Wofford radio broadcast. I kept asking myself, "Why am I not hearing Dominique Swope's name mentioned more often?" Was he in the coach's doghouse, hurt? He is a beast and normally gives us fits. Any GSU fan have an answer to this?

Either he is not 100% and they are trying to be cautious (he was sharing carries with William Banks and McKinnon) or we were just trying to force what wasn't there by continuously running to the corner.

Personally, I think Ayers was trying to force us to make long and grueling scoring drives and hope we make fewer mistakes. It was a good game plan.

seantaylor
September 17th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Because we are abandoning the under center dive. Brent Davis.