PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook to the MAC ... it'll never happen

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
September 12th, 2013, 01:53 PM
This will never happen, but some Buffalo fan (Stony Brook's opponent this weekend) posted this:

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2013/9/12/4722174/the-pregame-meal-stony-brook-breakfast#183938733

Those of you not from New York, you have to understand that SUNY people live in a state of paranoia that one of the other four University centers (i.e. Stony Brook, Binghamton, Albany, Buffalo) will change their name to "The University of New York" first, thus claiming the flagship. It makes the comments on that post hilarious. Seawolves are bragging this week of course, because US News and World Report's College rankings ranked SUNYs as 1. Stony Brook, 2. Binghampton, 3. Buffalo, 4. Albany.

By the way, I'm still skeptical about our team this year. In particular, it's hard to predict how our new quarterback will fare against defenses better than Rhode Island. If you were to tell me our team would finish 7-4 or 4-7 I'd say either is possible. And while I'm looking forward to Saturday's game against Buffalo, I think Vegas has the point spread more or less right.

Regarding the Buffalo fan's proposal, Stony Brook is decades away from thinking about FBS, if at all. We have 25,000 students at our school, but a huge percentage (i.e. 75% of graduate students, which is 1/2 the population) are from other countries, who couldn't possibly care less about collegiate athletics. On the other hand, the communities around Stony Brook have been supporting the program much more in the past few years, with it being the only game in town now that Hofstra (along with the New York Jets training camp) is gone. Anyway, I'd rather see Stony Brook play Albany, Delaware, New Hampshire, James Madison, Maine, etc. than Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Ball State, Akron, Kent State, etc. These are schools that I couldn't possibly care less about playing.

NCAA football fans get the strangest, though entertaining, ideas.

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I think that the MAC would be a very good FCS conference... if they moved to FCS and raised their level of play.

Bisonator
September 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I think that the MAC would be a very good FCS conference... if they moved to FCS and raised their level of play.

Exactly! xlolx

BisonBacker
September 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM

I see what you did there xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2013, 02:45 PM

The MAC is definitely down this year after a solid 4-5 year run. The problem with the MAC is the wide disparity between the haves and have nots. The better MAC teams are legit FBS, NIU, Toledo etc.. The EMU's and UB's of the world? Not so much....

citdog
September 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Well Said!

NIU007
September 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM

I remember New Hampshire fans saying something like that, shortly before they got stomped by Toledo.

bkrownd
September 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Well, let me offer this. Back in the mid-1990's I posted a long rant on rec.sport.football.college on USENET called "UMass and the MAC" about how there was no way that sort of hair-brained idea would happen...and uh, look at how wrong I was.

Seawolf97
September 12th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Pretty wild stuff but we are miles from an FBS Conference . Who knows stranger things have happened but not this. Ten years in the CAA and lets see where we are and maybe revisit the FBS thing or whatever it will called then

dgtw
September 12th, 2013, 09:56 PM
In all seriousness, dropping down to FCS wouldn't be a bad idea for the MAC.