PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-9

JALMOND
September 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Better late than never, I guess. A fairly good showing in the conference unless you are in Davis or Greeley, and those in Bozeman are lamenting the possible loss of their stud quarterback. The conference looks like it is going to be really strong and competitive this season. This weekend has some teams facing off against each other so we should begin to see how the conference slate will go. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Of course, all are my opinion only. Time for some good discussion, have at it.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---The Eagles followed up their impressive win over BCS Pac-12's Oregon State with a taking care of business win over DII Western Oregon. However, their schedule still is pretty daunting, this week they head up in stature and play FBS level Toledo. They got one win already over the top tier, can they get another?

2. Montana (3)---After their strong showing at home over perennial power Appalachian State, the Grizzlies took last week off. Eager to get things going, this weekend they head on the road to face North Dakota in a non-conference game. Still should be able to show what they can do against conference foes.

3. Montana State (2)---A somewhat disappointing loss at SMU in a game that the Bobcats had in hand for most of the night was further compounded by the loss of their quarterback on the last play of the game. Can't fault the effort and it is always a tall order trying to knock off the upper level on the road. This weekend, they introduce a new quarterback and bring in DII Colorado Mesa.

4. Southern Utah (6)---The Thunderbirds followed up their impressive win over the FBS South Alabama squad with a ho-hum win over DII Fort Lewis, putting Fort Lewis away early. It is unclear if the Thunderbirds are ready to challenge for the title this year but they are looking impressive. This weekend they play another surprising team, Pac-12's Washington State.

5. Cal Poly (4)---The Mustangs were hoping for a great showing last weekend at Fresno State to make some noise here on the conference front. Yet they needed two scores late to make the score look reasonable. They would still like a win over the FBS and they get another shot this weekend at Colorado State.

6. North Dakota (5)---The former Sioux struggled last week at home against Missouri Valley power South Dakota State before rallying in the fourth to make things a bit interesting. Whether they are ready to make some noise within the conference remains to be seen but they can make a statement this weekend with a home win over Montana.

7. Northern Arizona (7)--The Lumberjacks went home after their pasting in the first week at Arizona and took last week off. They are hoping they are ready this weekend as they head on the road to face conference opponent, UC-Davis.

8. Portland State (11)---The Vikings were not supposed to throw a scare into a Pac-12 school such as California, but they stayed in the game all the way through. Some mistakes here and there prevented them from giving the conference a second win this year over the Pac-12. This week they return home to face DII Humboldt State.

9. Northern Colorado (8)---This was to be the Bears year to make some noise and possibly challenge for the title. But that has all changed now after last week's shocking loss at home to DII CSU-Pueblo. Good feelings before the season have changed slightly. They now need a win this weekend at improving Wyoming to get back on track.

10. Weber State (10)---The Wildcats were feeling pretty good after their mildly surprising win against Stephen F Austin the first week. Then reality set in when they moved down to play Utah last week. Remains to be seen if this will be a good year or rebuilding. This weekend they stay up at the top with a game at Utah State.

11. Sacramento State (9)---It was a given that the Hornets were going to struggle a bit opening on the road at both San Jose State and Arizona State. Yet after those games, not only are they searching for their first win, they are looking for their first points. Both should change this weekend as they welcome NAIA's Southern Oregon.

12. Idaho State (13)---Believe it or not, the Bengals are 1-0 with the win coming this past weekend at home against DII's Dixie State. Still a win is a win and the Bengals will take it. This weekend, they stay down in the lower levels as they entertain DII's Western State.

13. UC-Davis (12)---A tall order for a rebuilding team but last week the Aggies ventured into the FBS with a short trip to Nevada. Putting it all on the line, they came up on the losing end. However, they should not be afraid this weekend as conference foe Northern Arizona comes to town.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-7 just behind, 8-11 a bit out followed by 12-13.

wapiti
September 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM
After NC loss to a Div 2 and what the other teams below them did. I would have put NC in last place.
Other than that it looks ok.

UNDBIZ
September 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I guess I'm not as impressed by SUU's win over Southern Alabama as most people are. Montana's win over App St also doesn't have the shine that it did a week ago. Here's where I'd put everybody right now.

1. Eastern Washington - One big FBS scalp already and looking for another this week. Should be a close game. Regardless, I've got them as the best team in the BSC right now and it wasn't even questionable.

2. Montana St - Close game against a decent FBS team at SMU. They should have won but didn't. I predict another year of playing well in the regular season and then losing when it really matters. EDIT: Forgot about the QB injury. The next few weeks could determine the MSU season.

3. Montana - Had what appeared to be a big win over App St, but then App St ***** the bed and raised a lot of questions about the game the previous week. Can prove themselves if they win big in Grand Forks.

4. Cal Poly - They still have a good defense and the new qb looked decent at the end of the Fresno game. Need to remember to play on special teams though

5. Northern Arizona - Lost big against Arizona, but it really was kind of expected. They still have Bauman so they can still win games.

6. Southern Utah - Close win over a bad FBS and a big margin against a D2, I'm not ready to say whether SUU is decent or Southern Alabama was just that bad

7. North Dakota - Lopsided game against Valpo and then a game with many swings that ended up close against So Dakota St, it remains to be seen which team UND really is

8. Portland St - Played a close game against a decent FBS team. Will have to wait until conference play starts before we can see who this team really is though.

9. Weber St - Nice win over SFA and a big loss against FBS Utah. Season is up in the air right now.

10. Sacramento St - Haven't scored a point yet. I probably should put them lower, but I'll give them a few points for last season.

11. UC-Davis - Bad loss to South Dakota and then a shellacking at Nevada

12. Northern Colorado - Ugly D2 loss. They need to show that they can at least compete with Wyoming or it could be a long season.

13. Idaho St - Just going off of last year since they haven't played anybody yet.

dystopiamembrane
September 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
JALMOND, what is the Viks' injury situation? I know folks went down during the Cal game.