PDA

View Full Version : Article about polls

grizbeer
September 22nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Pretty much what we already know about polls and voting, but still interesting

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/27483.html

and this helps confirms all our conspiracy theories in the west :D :

Dougherty, in his third season of overseeing the balloting for TSN, said he seen a lot of leanings that are obviously incorrect, even as some voters in the West are open in their contentions of an alleged Eastern bias.

GrizFoo
September 22nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
The ol'ECB syndrome. :eyebrow:

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Maybe, just maybe, there are more team on the east coast, hmmmm

September 22nd, 2006, 06:24 PM
I wrote the author,
Scott,

You wrote:
"For true knowledge, there is a coach's poll, except that there is also a dependability gap: The season was a game or two old before anyone organized a replacement to the ESPN/USA Today voting that had been discontinued."

In actuality the coaches poll only missed the preseason ranking. USA Today announced it was discontinuing its poll the day before the season started.

The AGS Poll is the most accurate one in I-AA since the poll began in 2004.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80343

JALMOND
September 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Good article. One of the reasons I became a "lobbyist" and turned in my voting badge was because I felt that PSU was getting no respect from the east coast. When voters are already discussing where to put whom on their ballot and it is only halftime of the PSU game, I must question the validity of that voter's ballot, especially if they are not even mentioning PSU at all. As the former Missoulian writer pointed out, it would not be right for me to put PSU higher than they should be, even if that is the only way to make up for the east coast "slight" against PSU (my ballot would run the risk of being thrown out). Also, I must question the opinion of east coast voters who put PSU behind teams such as CCSU, Albany and Towson.

The only way for PSU to get any respect from the east coast would be for me as the long term poster for PSU to "lobby" for votes from the east coast and not be a voter.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Coaches poll is not a good barometer. Most HC's don't have the time or commitment to do all the studying of other teams to determine how they vote. Many times they delegate the vote to some subordinate. Plus, that is where I'd see most conspiracies occuring..

September 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Coaches poll is not a good barometer. Most HC's don't have the time or commitment to do all the studying of other teams to determine how they vote. Many times they delegate the vote to some subordinate. Plus, that is where I'd see most conspiracies occuring..How about media and SIDs who do the SNW poll? Do they have the time or commitment to do all the studying of other teams?

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2006, 01:06 AM
How about media and SIDs who do the SNW poll? Do they have the time or commitment to do all the studying of other teams?
Some of them make time to study teams.
:nod: :cool: :D

:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

Sly Fox
September 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Any Polls prior to October are purely educated guesses. That's why I have always felt the first vote shouldn't come until then. But I'm but a voice crying in the wilderness.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
How about media and SIDs who do the SNW poll? Do they have the time or commitment to do all the studying of other teams?

If you are a voter on any level, you should at least do some homework and brush up on teams that are on the border of inclusion or not. For example, take that Weber State beat Montana the same weekend that Stony Brook beat Robert Morris (three teams that don't get too much "press" on AGS). Some east coast voters who don't research enough might see the Weber/Montana score and think that Montana must be on a down year, instead of Weber having a great team. Likewise, the same voters might have seen the Stony Brook/Robert Morris game and determined that Stony Brook looked "awesome" (subjective opinion) and "cleary one of the top teams in I-AA". Is this really a fair assessment of the level of I-AA football out west?