PDA

View Full Version : NDSU VS Ball State

BisonBacker
September 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM
NDSU takes on Ball State this weekend and are going in as Favorites according to some. Should be a good test of the Bison team to see where we stack up against IA competition albeit not top tier DI but still DI. I think it will be a close game and give the bison the edge by 7. Any one want to take a shot at prediciting the outcome?:D

bison95
September 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
34-31 Bison:cool:

LacesOut
September 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
From Matt Dougherty.....

No. 14 North Dakota State (2-0) at Ball State (I-A, 1-2), 6:30

North Dakota State is the type of I-AA team that can take out a I-A opponent, especially one as vulnerable as Ball State. The Bison defense is looking very good again, with a dominating effort of just 15.5 yards per game allowed on the ground and only 134.5 yards per game allowed overall. Those numbers would put the Bison at the top of I-AA statistics. The numbers are obviously inflated because of a pair of easy games, but they aren’t all that out of the ordinary. North Dakota State led the Great West with 272 yards per game and 13.7 ppg surrendered last year, and were tough against the run and pass. The Bison offense fits the bill for an upset win as well, with a good running game led by Kyle Steffes (262 yards, 4 TD) and efficient and mistake-free quarterback Steve Walker under center. With games at Cal Poly, Southern Illinois, Montana State and Northwestern State last season, the Bison should not be intimidated by playing a solid opponent on the road. Even with all of that, I-A matchups also depend on the opponent, which makes this one extremely winnable for the Bison because Ball State is nothing special. The Cardinals were just 4-7 last year and have not even posted a .500 record since 2002. They are off to a 1-2 start that includes a home loss to Indiana this year. There are very few matchups where the I-AA team could almost be considered a favorite against a I-A squad, but this one’s close. I won’t go so far to say North Dakota State would be favored, but the matchup is at least very close to equal. North Dakota State plays a solid game on both sides and has experience on the road, and should keep it close in the fourth quarter. With good players at the skill positions on offense, the Bison can get the late scores they’ll need to add to the I-AA victory total against I-A foes.

Prediction: North Dakota State 24, Ball State 20

No_Skill
September 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
NDSU 24 Ball St. 27

Although, I hope it is the other way around. I wish our Bison the best of luck.

Ronbo
September 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM
This reminds me of last years EWU/SJSU thread. Now build up NDSU real high here guys so that if they lose to lowly Ball State it will plummet them in the rankings like it did EWU.

Jacks99
September 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM
I think NDSU has a good shot. They will keep it close and I give them the W.

Retro
September 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM
I like the Bison's chances.. Ball State is a I-A bottom feeder with the occasional upset, usually only over a middle tier team. They haven't beaten a quality I-A opponent out of their conference in 20+ years...

Ronbo
September 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
I like the Bison's chances.. Ball State is a I-A bottom feeder with the occasional upset, usually only over a middle tier team. They haven't beaten a quality I-A opponent out of their conference in 20+ years...

Gosh I guess then if they lose to such a bottom feeder it will really be a black mark against North Dakota State.

P2TheB
September 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM
UNI beat Ball State in 2001. The Bison can do it. Ball State really isn't that good.

dbackjon
September 21st, 2006, 02:34 PM
NSDU by a touchdown!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM
NSDU by a touchdown!

Hmmm? Is that Northwestern South Dakota University? :smiley_wi

Go Bison
September 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Gosh I guess then if they lose to such a bottom feeder it will really be a black mark against North Dakota State.

I wouldn't say that. This will be a tough game for NDSU. Ball State has a good passing team and NDSU's secondary hasn't been tested yet. NDSU's defense will have to play well for a chance to win and the offense needs to open up the passing game. All and all I think it will be a good game. Go Bison!

September 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
This reminds me of last years EWU/SJSU thread. Now build up NDSU real high here guys so that if they lose to lowly Ball State it will plummet them in the rankings like it did EWU.EWU plummeted after losing to SJSU? They started #3 preseason, fell three spots after the loss 35-24 to SJSU, then moved to #2 the next week while IDLE.

2005 Preseason AGS Poll (5/23/2005)
(first place votes in parenthesis)
1. James Madison (45)
2. Furman (12)
3. Eastern Washington (10)

AGS Poll (9/5/2005)
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. James Madison (41)
2. Furman (6)
3. Montana (2)
4. Northwestern State (2)
5. Western Kentucky (1)
6. Eastern Washington (3)

AGS Poll (9/12/2005)
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Western Kentucky (22)
2. Eastern Washington (10)

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71781

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM
Balls drop:nod:
NDSU wins:hurray:

ASU Kep
September 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM
NDSU - 28
Ball St - 17

...and boom goes the dynamite.: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

Hopefully at least some of you catch that reference to Ball St...

swaghook
September 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM
I hope everyone predicting a Bison win are right. I have them as winning in my picks but in reality I know it could go the other way just as easy. I'm thinking our defense and ball control offense make for a low scoring game. I say NDSU by 6 points.

Gil Dobie
September 21st, 2006, 07:44 PM
I am not real sure about NDSU winning. If I had to put money on the game, I would say Ball St by a TD. Hopefully the Bison will win, but IMO, it will be a tough game.

X-Factor
September 22nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
I think Ball State is ALOT tougher than the Ball State most people are familiar with. It seems they have been on the rise the last couple years and they have played very respectable the last 2 weeks against Big Ten Competition. I honestly just hope for a close game. If the Bison win, well, then that is a BONUS!!

NDSU will shut down their running game. There is no question whatsoever about that. But in this game I really don't see that making much of a difference. BSU is passing the ball for almost 300ypg, and while our safeties are a strong point, the cornerback position could easily get torched many times if we don't do a fair amount of blitzing. (NDSU rushed one extra man once in the Northeastern game and did get a sack) Offensively I would like to think the Bison can score a point or two on BSU. But really, who knows? So far in two games we havn't seen much of the Bison's playbook except Kyle Steffes up the middle...Kyle Steffes to the left...Kyle Steffes to the right, probably a valid attempt to keep things off of the tape for Ball State. They have no clue what to expect and niether do I!!

purduecrum
September 22nd, 2006, 08:01 AM
I think Ball State is ALOT tougher than the Ball State most people are familiar with. It seems they have been on the rise the last couple years and they have played very respectable the last 2 weeks against Big Ten Competition. I honestly just hope for a close game. If the Bison win, well, then that is a BONUS!!

NDSU will shut down their running game. There is no question whatsoever about that. But in this game I really don't see that making much of a difference. BSU is passing the ball for almost 300ypg, and while our safeties are a strong point, the cornerback position could easily get torched many times if we don't do a fair amount of blitzing. (NDSU rushed one extra man once in the Northeastern game and did get a sack) Offensively I would like to think the Bison can score a point or two on BSU. But really, who knows? So far in two games we havn't seen much of the Bison's playbook except Kyle Steffes up the middle...Kyle Steffes to the left...Kyle Steffes to the right, probably a valid attempt to keep things off of the tape for Ball State. They have no clue what to expect and niether do I!!

I wouldn't be so quick to say that Ball State's running game will be shut down. I saw Ball State last weekend visit Purdue (in person) and Ball State has an enourmous defensive line. But, by the end of the game those linemen were just too tired after chasing the faster defenders for 60 minutes.

Ball State's QB has one of the best completion percentages in all of D-I, but for some reason they switched him out a few times, I wonder if he got his bell rung a little in that game?

I don't know much about NDSU, but unless the weather dictates a low tempo game (the cold rain is over Indiana this weekend) they better be ready for a shootout.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
NDSU - 28
Ball St - 17

...and boom goes the dynamite.: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

Hopefully at least some of you catch that reference to Ball St...

I have that clip on my computer and watch it from time to time. Dam that cracks me up everytime I see it. That guy just wanted to crawl into a hole and dissappear. Wonder if he ever got a job or he decided on a different profession.xlolx xlolx

MiloCat
September 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
I have that clip on my computer and watch it from time to time. Dam that cracks me up everytime I see it. That guy just wanted to crawl into a hole and dissappear. Wonder if he ever got a job or he decided on a different profession.xlolx xlolx

The look on his face at the end was hilarious.:confused:

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13

bison95
September 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13

Thanks for the love:rolleyes:

BisBison
September 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13

ouch I sure hope not.:( But you of all people should know a lower division team can sneak up on you if you're not careful:nono: or is your memory a bit short:confused:

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
ouch I sure hope not.:( But you of all people should know a lower division team can sneak up on you if you're not careful:nono: or is your memory a bit short:confused:

Nope, just hunchin'.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Nope, just hunchin'.
Don't you mean just hopin after all the grief some NDSU fans gave you guys for the loss to the whioux? :nono:

JohnStOnge
September 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM
I think North Dakota State ought to be ranked higher in the I-AA polls than it is and I think the odds are better than even that the Bison will beat Ball State.

skinny_uncle
September 22nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
I think NDSU can win this one. Best of luck.
:thumbsup:

igo4uni
September 23rd, 2006, 01:20 AM

yup. :nod: :nod:

BisBison
September 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Don't you mean just hopin after all the grief some NDSU fans gave you guys for the loss to the whioux? :nono:

Cap'n should also know that most Bison fans are almost as pissed about that game as he is.:mad:

PantherMan
September 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
NDSU could win this game...but they won't. Ball State by 10.

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
If you read any of Cap'n Cat's posts after the ND game, you would of noticed he didn't mind the guff.

On this note, I think NDSU wins, and I don't think they'll squeak it out. Pound 'em, Bison! :hurray:

BisonBacker
September 23rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13

Maybe you might want to retract your prediction.:nono: :bang: xidiotx

BisonBacker
September 23rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
If you read any of Cap'n Cat's posts after the ND game, you would of noticed he didn't mind the guff.

On this note, I think NDSU wins, and I don't think they'll squeak it out. Pound 'em, Bison! :hurray:
The score sounded closer then I think the game actually was. If you look at the Stats NDSU dominated but either way glad to get the W.:hurray:

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
This reminds me of last years EWU/SJSU thread. Now build up NDSU real high here guys so that if they lose to lowly Ball State it will plummet them in the rankings like it did EWU.
Hey Ronbo- I am calling you out ;) :)

bisonguy
September 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Maybe you might want to retract your prediction.:nono: :bang: xidiotx

Huh??

Cap'n Cat also predicted UNI blowing out UND. I took his prediction of NDSU losing big as a compliment. :hurray:

skinny_uncle
September 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Looks like I was right.
:D

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Ball State report

http://www.ballstatesports.com/article/0,1382,46667-4-team,00.html

stats

http://www.ballstatesports.com/media/pdf/ndsu.pdf

89rabbit
September 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Way to go Bison! Congrats! :beerchug:

Ronbo
September 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Ronbo- I am calling you out ;) :)

Well not very impressive to me seeing as there was little respect for Ball State earlier. It was expected you'd win against a lowly bottom feeder. After all you were the odds on favorite right. It amazes me that the score was so close and makes me question the quality of your team. You will be pummeled by a good opponent like Davis was. LOL

Hansel
September 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Well not very impressive to me seeing as there was little respect for Ball State earlier. It was expected you'd win against a lowly bottom feeder. After all you were the odds on favorite right. It amazes me that the score was so close and makes me question the quality of your team. You will be pummeled by a good opponent like Davis was. LOL
what no apologies for the I-A school?

:p

Go Bison
September 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13
Nice prediction. You need to quite underestimating the teams from North Dakota.

YoUDeeMan
September 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Didn't want this thread to stay on the second page. NDSU took down a I-A team! That's good for all of I-AA!

Congrats NDSU!

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Ball State 40
NDSU 13

Columbian or Maui Waui? xlolx xlolx ;)

bincitysioux
September 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Nice win NDSU and congrats to the Bison and their fans. Way to represent North Dakota!

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM
NDSU takes on Ball State this weekend and are going in as Favorites according to some. Should be a good test of the Bison team to see where we stack up against IA competition albeit not top tier DI but still DI. I think it will be a close game and give the bison the edge by 7. Any one want to take a shot at prediciting the outcome?:D
Ok so I'm going to blow my own horn here. I was only off by 2 points:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: