PDA

View Full Version : S.O.S., the Shox and the MVC

Shockerman
September 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM
I am frequent reader and casual poster on this board but wanted to drop you guys a note about Wichita State Football. A group of ex Football players have put together a group called Support our Shockers (S.O.S.) The groups obvious attention is to help bring back Football. This is the real deal. They have set up an endowment for this purpose and have already fully funded four endowments for football only scholarships. There are already several potential large donors who are waiting to see how much money they can raise on their own. So the proscess has begun. They are currently putting together a website about who they are and how you can help. When it is ready I will post a link to it here so you guys can see it.

SO what happens now to the Gateway? Does this hurt NDSU and SDSU's chances of getting in? The long term goal at WSU will be to make it back to DIA football. (I think we would be better at IAA but that is what Ta-town wants) Does this increase the chance for an MVC DIA conference?

We are still years from gettting this done but the ball has finally begun to roll. Go shox and go Championship Division I Football.

crunifan
September 21st, 2006, 10:49 AM
This is good news!

I would say this would have a negative effect on the Dakotas. Wichita State would have the easy track to get in the Gateway, and if only WKU leaves. That leaves us with the 8 teams we have currently.

89Hen
September 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
I wish you the best of luck and hope you have more success than the BTUFF group from Boston University.

Shockerman
September 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks, we will need the help. Whatever happened to the BTUFF group? I remember following them a few years back. I think there is another group UC santa Barbara that is pushing for reinstatement.

BearsCountry
September 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Personally I would rather add the Dakotas and Wichita State to the mix and let Youngstown go east. Not a knock on YSU, I just don't really see them in the same light as the other GFC or the Dakotas for that matter.

bison95
September 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good news:nod: :nod: I am not worried about a conference for FB, The greatwest works well.

dbackjon
September 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Good luck to the Shockers!

Would this be at the I-AA level? Remember, the old President dropped football when an audit of the stadium showed they had less than the 30,000 seats needed at the time to remain in I-A.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Good luck on rebuilding.

I personally would love to see the MVC become a conference of both football and basketball much the way the CAA will be next year. The conference affliation with both sports helps add national recognition.

In turn, I think it would create an excellent rival conference for the CAA, much like the way the Big10 and the ACC duke it out each year.

Yes, SoCon, we love you too... ;)

JALMOND
September 21st, 2006, 03:19 PM
Good luck, Shockers. I think everyone strives for getting to the DI-A level in the beginning. When we first came into the Big Sky, most fans were looking at it as a stepping stone to the I-A level (and the WAC). However, due to other circumstances since (the state economy tanked, sending the state university education system into a crisis) and the great working relationship and rivalries we enjoy with the other Big Sky schools, the idea of joining I-A and a conference stretching from Hawaii to Louisiana simply made no sense.

You might find the same thing once you join the Gateway (MVC).

Shockerman
September 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Good luck to the Shockers!

Would this be at the I-AA level? Remember, the old President dropped football when an audit of the stadium showed they had less than the 30,000 seats needed at the time to remain in I-A.

If I remember correctly, that happened in 81/82 and they added the necessary seats to comply. However, in 2001 they added another lane to the track and lost a couple rows of seats. Either way, College Athletics is about competing at the highet level and winning National Championships. Under the current structure, the only way the Shox can win a National Championship in Foootball is in the Championship division. For now, that is where we belong.

Shockerman
September 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Good luck on rebuilding.

I personally would love to see the MVC become a conference of both football and basketball much the way the CAA will be next year. The conference affliation with both sports helps add national recognition.

In a perfect world. Drake would add scholarships and move up to the Gateway. Kick out Evansville, add WKU, drop the Gateway name and the MVC would be a hell of a conference. Obviously, WKU has other plans, but would they reconsider if the MVC offered up a spot?

dbackjon
September 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
In a perfect world. Drake would add scholarships and move up to the Gateway. Kick out Evansville, add WKU, drop the Gateway name and the MVC would be a hell of a conference. Obviously, WKU has other plans, but would they reconsider if the MVC offered up a spot?

You'd have to ask the WKU contingent, but WKU is first and foremost a Basketball school, so I would say yes, they would stay at I-AA if it came with a MVC membership.

SO ILLmatic
September 21st, 2006, 05:08 PM
I heard on other Valley sites that this facility is where Shocker football would be played at. Is this correct?

Shockerman
September 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM
Thats it, Cessna stadium. She needs a little love, but she is on campus. Every now and again Pitt State will play a game their along with some of the local high schools.

igo4uni
September 21st, 2006, 05:54 PM
Thats it, Cessna stadium. She needs a little love, but she is on campus. Every now and again Pitt State will play a game their along with some of the local high schools.

What's the capacity of the stadium. Also, do you think fans would be interested in WSU football. I know that you guys love your basketball in Wichita.

Just curious what you think.

PantherRob82
September 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM
hurry up shox!

89Hen
September 21st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks, we will need the help. Whatever happened to the BTUFF group? I remember following them a few years back.
Unfortunately for them they were a group that formed right after BU stopped football and have since disappeared. I guess they can only go so many years.

birdsflyhigh
September 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM
F-ball coming back to Shocker Nation? That would be fantastic! It may take some time, but good luck in your efforts to get the wheels in motion.
Very cool! :cool: