http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9673910

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9673910

I saw that.
Dodd must not be a Miami fan;)

GeauxLions94
September 21st, 2006, 10:35 AM
I don't know VanGorder and have never seen Georgia Southern play in person (and I didn't read the article), but I do know this ....

Dodd must have been hanging out on Willie Nelson's bus when he wrote that. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

EDIT
OK, I read the first part of the column. Did anyone notice this ...

VanGorder is exactly the type of coach Miami needs right now. Something fresh, new, off the radar. Inexperienced? Sure. In that sense, he is Coker with hair, having never been a Division I head coach.

That proves my previous statement (hello, Earth to Dennis Dodd xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx ... Georgia Southern IS a Division I program) ... Dodd was on Willie Nelson's magical herb bus when he wrote this (heck, he's probably been riding shotgun for a while now.) xidiotx

goasu984Life
September 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
I can see where Dodd is coming from, but I don't know if Miami is the right place for BVG. There's a lot of pressure to win and win in a hurry, and I don't know if he is ready for that. Good thought, though, I guess.

flexbone
September 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
aint going to happen. Like i posted on TSC, CVG has the "Hot Coach with Potential" tag but lacks ANY CREDIBLE Head Coaching credentials. the GSU fans think he will leave as soon as he gets a good 1-a offer, which he probably will. BUT I think we'll keep him for a while as he biulds his resume.
NO ONE LIKE MIAMI IS GOIN TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS GUY UNTIL HE PROVES HE CAN WIN. Check out his record, not that impressive!!!!!!!!!!!
Potential - YES
Proven commodity - NO

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
I can see where Dodd is coming from, but I don't know if Miami is the right place for BVG. There's a lot of pressure to win and win in a hurry, and I don't know if he is ready for that. Good thought, though, I guess.

That was my thought.
Miami is recognized as one of the top programs in the country. BVG might be able to turn them around. Who the heck knows? Which is exactly why Miami fans would go ballistic with the choice.

flexbone
September 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM

We gave him pressure to win in a hurry too, and he lost the opener to Central Conn.
He is DEFINATELY a work in progress. Not Ready for Prime Time!!!!!!!!!!!!

goasu984Life
September 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
We gave him pressure to win in a hurry too, and he lost the opener to Central Conn.
He is DEFINATELY a work in progress. Not Ready for Prime Time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but pressure at Georgia Southern is not the same as pressure at Miami. It is definitely a different animal in South Beach.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Dennis Dodd is a moron... I know Coach VanGorder (I am a member of the recruiting staff), he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is here for atleast 2 or 3 years. He has a lot of goals that he is dead set on accomplishing before going anywhere. I would say CVG will be in Statesboro for about 4 years.

ButlerGSU
September 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Taking GSU to the playoffs is not enough to build his resume (we were in them 3 of the last 4 years under Sewak) to really show he's done something at GSU he has to win it all.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
NO ONE LIKE MIAMI IS GOIN TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS GUY UNTIL HE PROVES HE CAN WIN

Miami Took Frank Haith as their head basketball coach. He had 0 head coaching experience before the job offer. Just something to mull over....

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Miami Took Frank Haith as their head basketball coach. He had 0 head coaching experience before the job offer. Just something to mull over....

What is Miami's basketball reputation?

LacesOut
September 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
U of Miami is high profile ball. I would expect, therefore, a high profile type of coach/personality to take the job next season there. Like another D-I coach, or a NFL assistant type.

/DRTFA (didn't read the fuggin article)

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think we will see Van Gorder leaving GSU for a while, unless his record here is absolutely abysmal. The reason VanGorder left Jacksonville in the first place seems to be that he wanted to move to a smaller town and "have a place to raise a family" (he complimented Statesboro as "being a good place to raise a family"). His salary is substantial, and I can't forsee any reason of why he would be here any less than 5 seasons.

gophoenix
September 21st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Like another D-I coach, or a NFL assistant type.

Technically, this statment describes BVG. He was an NFL assistant and is currently a D-I coach.

As for Miami's basketball reputation, does it matter? Even Clemson and Virginia Tech try to hire good coaches. No ACC team is going to take the back seat in basketball and take an I Don't Care approach.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
Technically, this statment describes BVG. He was an NFL assistant and is currently a D-I coach.

As for Miami's basketball reputation, does it matter? Even Clemson and Virginia Tech try to hire good coaches. No ACC team is going to take the back seat in basketball and take an I Don't Care approach.

I was asking because I really don't know:o

JMU Duke Dog
September 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
What is Butch Davis up to these days?

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM
What is Butch Davis up to these days?

laughing to himself, b/c he knows Coker is going down the tank and the only good years Coker had was with Davis' players

gasouthern01
September 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
I don't think we will see Van Gorder leaving GSU for a while, unless his record here is absolutely abysmal. The reason VanGorder left Jacksonville in the first place seems to be that he wanted to move to a smaller town and "have a place to raise a family" (he complimented Statesboro as "being a good place to raise a family"). His salary is substantial, and I can't forsee any reason of why he would be here any less than 5 seasons.

YOu are smoking major crack. Van Gorder left the NFL b/c he wants to be the man and get back into college ball. He will be gone in 2 seasons tops and doesn't have to win it all to get another offer.

AppGuy04
September 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
I would not be surprised if Miami does contact him. Whether he will go, who knows. None of you know for sure

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Dennis Dodd is a moron... I know Coach VanGorder (I am a member of the recruiting staff), he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is here for atleast 2 or 3 years. He has a lot of goals that he is dead set on accomplishing before going anywhere. I would say CVG will be in Statesboro for about 4 years.

.......or until someone starts waving a couple-three mill under his nose.....

http://www.cashunclaimed.com/press/wp-content/unclaimedmoneyfalling.jpg
"Ahhhhhh, the smell of money!! Fresno, here I come!"

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, but pressure at Georgia Southern is not the same as pressure at Miami. It is definitely a different animal in South Beach.
EXACTLY If he can't handle the pressure in the Boro. How can he handle the pressure at MIAMI?

flexbone
September 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I would not be surprised if Miami does contact him. Whether he will go, who knows. None of you know for sure
Trust me if they offered HE WOULD GO. Why not?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
YOu are smoking major crack. Van Gorder left the NFL b/c he wants to be the man and get back into college ball. He will be gone in 2 seasons tops and doesn't have to win it all to get another offer.

That doesn't make any sense. I don't see how someone who has serious ambitions for being a college football coach would want to go from coaching in the NFL to coaching in IAA. Has there ever been a coach come into a IAA coaching job with NFL coaching experience in his past?

If he was hoping to one day be a HC at a major IA, he would have stayed with the jaguars. IA teams seem to be apprehensive about hiring IAA coaches. Jim Tressel was Ohio State's second choice for head coach, Jim Donnan was a legendary IAA coach and didn't cut it at UGA, and so on.

Why are GSU fans assuming that BVG is some cocky and arrogant person who thinks IAA is the best place to pad his resume?

Dane96
September 22nd, 2006, 12:53 PM

Hmmm...well that is real smart of you; If you are in any way associated (as in a MEMBER OF THE RECRUITING STAFF) with the GSU program, you have just violated a few NCAA rules by posting on this site.

Whether VG is leaving...I do not know. I do know, however, it is in the school's best interest for you TO NOT POST ON THIS SITE.

Not ripping you, just FYI'ing. A coach at Albany lost his job (hoops) for something like this.

seantaylor
September 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hmmm...well that is real smart of you; If you are in any way associated (as in a MEMBER OF THE RECRUITING STAFF) with the GSU program, you have just violated a few NCAA rules by posting on this site.

Whether VG is leaving...I do not know. I do know, however, it is in the school's best interest for you TO NOT POST ON THIS SITE.

Not ripping you, just FYI'ing. A coach at Albany lost his job (hoops) for something like this.

What? It doesn't matter what anyone says on a message board. Come on, now.

Dane96
September 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Our top hoop assistant was busted for posting on message boards.

To be more specific, talking about prospects, recruits, players, scholarships, etc. on a message board CAN be deemed a violation.

In this instance, I read quick and saw recruiting coordinator. My gut says this post was fine, but someone who is in the "recruiting office" of a school should not post.

No joke, almost every compliance office tells their coaches/recruiters that.

gsugt1
September 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM

He isn't a coach. He is a Southern Ambassador and a student.He host recruits during thier visits I think. My niece was one a few years back.

CollegeSportsInfo
September 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Dodd makes mention of Butch Davis in his description of VG. Davis could be headed back to Miami though.

gsugt1
September 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM

If he were offered a job at Miami ( and the money ) he would be a fool for turning it down IMO. He might not ever get another chance like that.

Dane96
September 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Well...that makes more sense than being a "MEMBER OF THE RECRUITING STAFF."

I mean really, what else would you think that is on a FOOTBALL BOARD! And, BTW, it would still be a violation if he was an ambassador and was (he did not in this instance) comment on a prospective athlete.

Not being a d#$k, just making sure he understands for the benefit of GSU.

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
If he were offered a job at Miami ( and the money ) he would be a fool for turning it down IMO. He might not ever get another chance like that.

Unless UNI came in at the last minute, then he'd have some thinkin' ta do, D!

:p :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

gsugt1
September 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Unless UNI came in at the last minute, then he'd have some thinkin' ta do, D!

:p :p :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No doubt. Hey I am sitting here at the Choo Choo having a cold beer :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing ya'll for the App game.

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
No doubt. Hey I am sitting here at the Choo Choo having a cold beer :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing ya'll for the App game.

Look for these two idiots, D:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

gsugt1
September 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Well...that makes more sense than being a "MEMBER OF THE RECRUITING STAFF."

I mean really, what else would you think that is on a FOOTBALL BOARD! And, BTW, it would still be a violation if he was an ambassador and was (he did not in this instance) comment on a prospective athlete.

Not being a d#$k, just making sure he understands for the benefit of GSU.

I agree 100%. Maybe he thinks is a coach :confused: xlolx :nono: :smiley_wi

JohnStOnge
September 22nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
NO ONE LIKE MIAMI IS GOIN TO TAKE A CHANCE ON THIS GUY UNTIL HE PROVES HE CAN WIN. Check out his record, not that impressive!!!!!!!!!!!
Potential - YES
Proven commodity - NO

I'll say basically what I've said before. If I had to bet, I'd bet that a day will come when Georgia Southern fans are ready to run the whole adminsitration out of town for what they did last year. I continue to believe it was one of the stupidest thing an administration has ever done with respect to athletics.

We'll see.

SeattleGriz
September 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
aint going to happen. Like i posted on TSC, CVG has the "Hot Coach with Potential" tag but lacks ANY CREDIBLE Head Coaching credentials. the GSU fans think he will leave as soon as he gets a good 1-a offer, which he probably will. BUT I think we'll keep him for a while as he biulds his resume.
Potential - YES
Proven commodity - NO

Montana had three new head coaches over a 5 year period, with the last one being Bobby Hauck. So, I think Van Gorder would go to a I-A pretty quickly if offered. I-AA programs will always be stepping stones.

walliver
September 22nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Why would Miami offer big bucks for a guy who has been head coach of TWO football games. Van Gorder has not even had a full year recruiting class. Such a thing would not be umprecedented ( I remember when Notre dame hired a high school coach ), but it seems that a major BCS team would like to at least see how Van Gorder recruits and adapts as coach. He may end up as a great coach, but he has yet to prove himself on the field.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
I agree 100%. Maybe he thinks is a coach :confused: xlolx :nono: :smiley_wi

Nah, I'm not a coach (nor do I think as myself as one...). I am a Southern Ambassador and a member of the football recruiting staff. By being an Ambassador, I have had the opportunity to talk to all of the coaches and get to know what we are trying to do as a program so I can know these things when talking with recruits. I promise you I am not breaking NCAA policy by posting on these boards. The only way to do so would be to release information on our prospects.

Back to the topic on hand, through my conversations with Coach VanGorder and other coaches, I seriously doubt CVG will be going anywhere anytime soon. He seems to be very commited to making GSU live up to it's full potential and he knows that is going to take time. He kids are going to school here, he loves the town. His wife is great, she loves the town too. Coach said this is where he wants to be for a while.

We have some big things coming up at Georgia Southern, CVG is sticking with us for a few...

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Our top hoop assistant was busted for posting on message boards.

To be more specific, talking about prospects, recruits, players, scholarships, etc. on a message board CAN be deemed a violation.

In this instance, I read quick and saw recruiting coordinator. My gut says this post was fine, but someone who is in the "recruiting office" of a school should not post.

No joke, almost every compliance office tells their coaches/recruiters that.

I got briefed on what I can post and what I am not allowed to post. This is safe. There are a LOT of things that the NCAA freaks out about (I was really suprised when they told us what we can do and can't do).

I did get told to keep it diplomatic, professional, objective/non-biased. That can really cut out the fun sometimes.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Good job asking...just didnt want you to screw yourself.

And yes, the NCAA SUCKS when it comes to that stuff. Basically, no commenting at all on recruits, no disparaging other schools...crap like that.

Student Ambassadors play a great roll in getting kids to come to school!