View Full Version : Two Eagles arrested for marijuana test negative

ButlerGSU
September 19th, 2006, 08:51 PM
SOUTHERN CONFERENCE

Two Eagles arrested for marijuana test negative

By BILL SANDERS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/20/06
Georgia Southern football coaches learned Tuesday that two linemen arrested on marijuana charges have tested negative for drugs.

Branden Daniel and Ricory Green were arrested last week in Statesboro for possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor. Eagles coach Brian VanGorder announced Tuesday that while the police case is ongoing, his players had no drugs in their system.

"I am pleased to announce that both tests came back negative," VanGorder said in a statement. "Since this is an ongoing police investigation, we cannot comment further."

Find this article at:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/09/19/0920gasouthern.html

GAD
September 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
:hurray: :nod: :hurray: :nod:

ButlerGSU
September 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM
:hurray: :nod: :hurray: :nod:

I was thinking the same thing. :nod:

blueballs
September 19th, 2006, 08:58 PM
The line to retract stupid statements and apologize for trashing the two kids w/o knowing all the facts forms to the right, especially for one "national" columnist who wrote in this very forum (granted it is a messageboard but words still have meaning) that the two kids were "doing drugs."

ButlerGSU
September 19th, 2006, 09:03 PM
“They are guilty by association.”

With the Police still looking into it, they could be guilty of something but not of smoking dope.

KiddBrewer
September 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
to quote lee corso, who i hate, "not soo fast my friend".....you dont have to have marijuana in your system for possession to be illegal, i wouldnt be jumping up and down and smiling quite yet......the case is still going on to find their connection. i hope it turns out they werent involved, but we'll see.

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
The possession charges should now be history. Since possession = ingestion...then no ingestion = no possession. At least in the C book of criminal law.:rolleyes:

KiddBrewer
September 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM
With the Police still looking into it, they could be guilty of something but not of smoking dope.

thats where the question is.....is smoking dope the crime, or is possession the crime. i think they are the same thing, unless youve heard of someone getting charged with smoking marijuana, if you have, i gaurentee the possession charge is worse.

poharry
September 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
The possession charges should now be history. Since possession = ingestion...then no ingestion = no possession. At least in the C book of criminal law.:rolleyes:

You don't have to ingest mj to be in possession of it. They could have had a "dime" or "nickel" and hadn't got the chance to "ingest" it yet.

Possession means having the drugs in your possession, not being under the influence. Just like having open liquor in your auto. If your passenger is drinking, you the driver, can get nailed for Illegal Possession of alcohol because it is in your car, whether you were drinking or not.

KiddBrewer
September 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
what about possession with intent to sale....the biggest drug lord in the world might not smoke pot, but does that mean hes not breaking the law?

ButlerGSU
September 19th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Well I don't want all of you to be disappointed so let's hope the young man is guilty of something!

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2006, 09:15 PM
You don't have to ingest mj to be in possession of it. They could have had a "dime" or "nickel" and hadn't got the chance to "ingest" it yet.

Possession means having the drugs in your possession, not being under the influence. Just like having open liquor in your auto. If your passenger is drinking, you the driver, can get nailed for Illegal Possession of alcohol because it is in your car, whether you were drinking or not.

Thanks for the legal lesson.;) I think that I mentioned a C book of law. That's the one that's FOS. Not a real one.:rotateh:

KiddBrewer
September 19th, 2006, 09:17 PM
i really hope they dont get in trouble, especially if they turn out to not be connected.

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I have a sense that these charges will just F A D E away. It'll give the conspiracy/coverup theorists something new to discuss. You know who you are.:cool:

ack
September 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM
what about possession with intent to sale....the biggest drug lord in the world might not smoke pot, but does that mean hes not breaking the law?

If there was enough of it to bring such a charge, or other evidence to indicate they were selling, it would have been listed as 'intent to distribute', not just possesion.

Baldy
September 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Let me reiterate......Green and Daniel weren't the only two people in the car (and the car didn't belong to either player). About the only thing these guys are guilty of is riding around in a car with a guy who had pot in his car.

September 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
good to hear the test exonerated them of injestion!

Laserlips
September 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Let me reiterate......Green and Daniel weren't the only two people in the car (and the car didn't belong to either player). About the only thing these guys are guilty of is riding around in a car with a guy who had pot in his car.

FWIW:

I hope they have a serious conversation with whoever it DID belong to...

My only complaint is their choice of company, and choice of location after being beaten down in a football game only hours earlier.

But young folks do dumb things, and hopefully they will learn from this near-miss career ending situation.

Hope we can get by this whole fiasco and get on with GSU football.

JP

nick9c
September 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM
The question is where did they physically find the marijuana. If it was just somewhere in the car, under a seat, there's not much of a case against them unless one of them was the driver. If it was found on them (in their pockets or whatever), this case is not closed. They may have been planning to smoke back at the dorm, or sell to whomever.

Laserlips
September 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
The question is where did they physically find the marijuana. If it was just somewhere in the car, under a seat, there's not much of a case against them unless one of them was the driver. If it was found on them (in their pockets or whatever), this case is not closed. They may have been planning to smoke back at the dorm, or sell to whomever.

FWIW:

I'm sure there are 1000 variables we could introduce into this situation, but the truth is we would all be guessing.

The situation is under investigation, or has been investigated. With the public eye on this situation nothing is going to be swept under the rug, and whatever the final determination might be, it's certainly wayyy above my pay grade to worry about..

I PREFER to give the young men the benefit of the doubt.... Of course I am a GSU EAGLE fan so maybe I'm prejudiced, but I would hope that if the players were from another school, say Furman, I would do the same.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Death Dealer
September 21st, 2006, 09:38 PM
There go I but for the grace of God! The only thing that saved me from some of the stupid stuff I did at that age is never getting caught. Let's hope that this little mistake of theirs doesn't end up costing them dearly.

Kids will be kids....remember, there is a time and place for everything, and it's called college.

siugrad99
September 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Just because they got caught before they could smoke it or snort it doesn't make them angels. Possesion is still possesion and penalties should still be handed out.

GreatAppSt
September 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM
" I was just holding it for a friend." xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KiddBrewer
September 22nd, 2006, 12:53 AM
ha im in college, seemingly unlike a lot of you, and yes college is, in my mind, made for having fun, hell im drunk right now, but i think theres a line. i think people have a different view on college when it comes to what is really going on. people know responsibility by the age of 18, which is usually when you start college. if these kids at georgia southern were in the car with people that had marijuana, then they knew what they were doing. they knew they could get in trouble, they knew that it could affect georgia southern if they got caught, and they knew that it could affect them. just becuase they werent smoking, doesnt mean they are angels. even if they didnt smoke, they knew the people with them had pot (and dont tell me they didnt, because they did) and they knew that could be bad for the university and its athletic programs.

KiddBrewer
September 22nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Just because they got caught before they could smoke it or snort it doesn't make them angels. Possesion is still possesion and penalties should still be handed out.

ha you can snort pot?

just kidding.

Sam Adams
September 22nd, 2006, 06:13 AM
Nobody here knows what the players knew at the time or what the "truth" is here. Heck we don't even know if the test results are legit. But who cares? we've already wasted more time and tax dollers on this than its worth.

Lets not go with these holier than thou types who want to try to turn a first offense dime bag bust into the crime of the century. Stupid college kids - Eyup. Dangerous crime, threat to the community: Not. Is it worth the cost of prosecuting for more than 10 minutes: Not. A bottle of johnnie walker is far more dangerous to the community. They should wash some fire trucks, miss a game or 2, pay a fine, run some laps and get a stern warning. 2d offense - off the team and let the DA have at them (i.e. bigger fine).

Laserlips
September 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
FWIW:

If there are any posters on this forum who attended college and at some point did not do something stupid, or illegal, or stupid AND illegal I'd be surprised.

I don't think young folks at college always make the right decisions..

Nor does anyone else to my knowledge.

FMOFO

J. Pomeroy