PDA

View Full Version : VMI @ W&M preview

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
http://thetribehasspoken.net/2006/09/19/vmi-wm-preview/

youwouldno
September 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Well, at least W&M will be able to add a win to the Phillips era.

Sly Fox
September 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
The Keydets really have their hands full.

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Good analysis, Tribe! Just for *****s and giggles, I'll predict W&M, 41-7!:D

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Good analysis, Tribe! Just for *****s and giggles, I'll predict W&M, 41-7!:D
Thanks! Hopefully the Tribe can win it's first night game(0-3 so far: smh : )

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Based on last year's debacle at URI, I'm nervous about this game. VMI is now running the same offense as URI.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 19th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I'm sure Jimmye will have them prepared.

Linehawg
September 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
...and won't start now. I was impressed with the Tribe against Maryland and can see where VMI has their hands full. The preview was pretty accurate but there's always a story behind the numbers and there's a lot to be optimistic about here for someone watching a new coach, a new staff, and new players trying to institute an offense they've never run before. For the Keydets:

The Good: (1) Rushing yards per carry well ahead of last year's pitiful perfromance. Option offense does that for you. Wilson not really the ideal option QB but enough of an athlete to be a threat. (2) No interceptions and only one fumble lost. Young linebackers look great, especially McKinney.
The Bad: (1) Penalties low but timing sucks. Too many drives stopped with stupid stuff. (2) Tackling erratic. (3) Offensive line still not clicking because of depth an injuries. Haven't had the first team on the field since the first week. Maybe Saturday?
The Ugly: Defensive line still not getting much pressure on the QB and, as Davidson showed racking up 400+ passing yards, that's a nightmare for a secondary. This will be a key thing to watch in this game--maybe more stunts and blitzing?

Still a lot of "experiementing" going on at VMI. But I haven't seen them loafing or giving up yet either which is good news. Only 4 home games this year and a long way to go. I think it will be closer than most think (Norfolk St better than in the past and Richmond easily in the playoffs with that team). Looking forward to this one...:nod:

JMU2004
September 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM
...and won't start now. I was impressed with the Tribe against Maryland and can see where VMI has their hands full. The preview was pretty accurate but there's always a story behind the numbers and there's a lot to be optimistic about here for someone watching a new coach, a new staff, and new players trying to institute an offense they've never run before. For the Keydets:

The Good: (1) Rushing yards per carry well ahead of last year's pitiful perfromance. Option offense does that for you. Wilson not really the ideal option QB but enough of an athlete to be a threat. (2) No interceptions and only one fumble lost. Young linebackers look great, especially McKinney.
The Bad: (1) Penalties low but timing sucks. Too many drives stopped with stupid stuff. (2) Tackling erratic. (3) Offensive line still not clicking because of depth an injuries. Haven't had the first team on the field since the first week. Maybe Saturday?
The Ugly: Defensive line still not getting much pressure on the QB and, as Davidson showed racking up 400+ passing yards, that's a nightmare for a secondary. This will be a key thing to watch in this game--maybe more stunts and blitzing?

Still a lot of "experiementing" going on at VMI. But I haven't seen them loafing or giving up yet either which is good news. Only 4 home games this year and a long way to go. I think it will be closer than most think (Norfolk St better than in the past and Richmond easily in the playoffs with that team). Looking forward to this one...:nod:

still think VMI will play JMU close???

bigred
September 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
No chance we play the Dukes close. This Team is very young. If Coach Reid can have half the recruiting success at The Institute that he had at Richmond, this team could actually be "successful" in a few years. As coach read says, "We’ve got a lot of work to do.".

Reid is a great motivator. Definitely glad to hear that this team is not giving up like the teams of the last couple of years.

Linehawg
September 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM
...the best honest answer I could give is "it depends." The best thing we have going for us is that JMU is expecting a blowout.:nono:

Lehigh was a top 25 team last year (about where JMU is now) and left Lexington with a last minute 4 point win. This year's team will eventually be much better than last year's but, like I said, the Keydets are very thin at the moment. If everyone's healthy, anything can happen. These very young kids are picking up the new offense more each game so it's been a pleasure to watch things begin to click more and more...some real boneheaded mistakes too.:nonono2:

JMU still favored? Sure. Big win? Maybe if the wheels come totally off the wagon but I see no indication of that. VMI win still possible? I see absolutely nothing that would convince an objective person otherwise. Home field advantage notwithstanding, I like the odds...as a non-betting person, of course.xcoffeex

tribe ol
September 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
LH,

I will be pulling like crazy for you guys against JMU (no offense to the Dukes, I always pull for the Keydets when they are not playing W&M). Unfortunately I think you will find the overall athleticism of the JMU squad to be the best you face all season (including your date with I-A Army).

Linehawg
September 20th, 2006, 07:37 AM
LH,

I will be pulling like crazy for you guys against JMU (no offense to the Dukes, I always pull for the Keydets when they are not playing W&M). Unfortunately I think you will find the overall athleticism of the JMU squad to be the best you face all season (including your date with I-A Army).

Much appreciated and likewise to the Tribe (we have to support those Viola brothers!xlolx ); but you need to withold judgement on that "athleticism" part until you've seen Richmond. I've seen both and JMU isn't even close. Not smack, just an objective observation. The Spiders will, in my view, easily have been the best team we'll have faced all year.

tribe ol
September 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I appreciate your more recent perspective on the Spiders. I saw W&M play both JMU and UofR last year. It was tough to make an apples-to-apples comparison, given that we probably gave our best effort of the season against JMU and pretty much laid down against UofR....but I came away with the impression that Mickey Matthews had better players but that Clawson was getting much more out of his team.

They are both strong teams and I would rather face Army than either of them.

Sly Fox
September 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Easy now, guys. Didn't any of you see the Black Knights against A&M Saturday? They've got some great athletes themselves this year.

All that said, I'd love to see the Keydets pull off some upsets.

tribe ol
September 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
No, but I did watch Army play Kent State earlier this year and I think half the A10 could kick their @ss.

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Still a lot of "experiementing" going on at VMI. But I haven't seen them loafing or giving up yet either which is good news. Only 4 home games this year and a long way to go. I think it will be closer than most think (Norfolk St better than in the past and Richmond easily in the playoffs with that team). Looking forward to this one...:nod:Nice analysis. Should be fun!

TheTribeHasSpoken
September 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
http://www.vmikeydets.com/articles/artfiles/80386_FB_Game_Notes-06W&M.pdf

VMI game notes