PDA

View Full Version : App State@ Gardner Webb

OLDLCOACH111
September 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
They are expecting a record setting 15,000- 20,000 people in boiling springs if not more. ESPNU is coming out to cover the game nationally. I feel that even though Gardner webb suffered an embarassing loss last week, They still have the weapons to take over a game, expecially at home where they average about 47 points and 550 yards a game last season. They have faced some hard competition before playing furman and having 610 yards total in the 48 to 31 loss last season, but none like this. What are you thoughts??

AppGuy04
September 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah, we played a team last week averaging about the same yardage. Total yards against us? 87

Will we hold G-W to that yardage, probably not, but I don't think this game is close IMHO

OL FU
September 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Old Coach, welcome aboard.

My recollection of the FU game last year is that it was out of reach early on, but GW played a good second half to make it respectable.

I don't think that will happen against ASU this year

MYTAPPY
September 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
G-W has a decent squad, but I think App's stout defense holds them in check.

GO APPS!

HiHiYikas
September 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Series history does not look good for the Bulldogs.

10/15/83 - ASU 21, GWU 17 - in Boone
9/24/88 - ASU 39, GWU 10 - in Boone
9/2/89 - ASU 43, GWU 7 - in Boone (ASU's 350th win)

So this is ASU's first trip to Boiling Springs. It's a nice little place and home to a very good divinty school. I took preaching from the professor who just stepped down as the president of the divinty school. He is a great guy. And any school that gives Johnny Cash an honorary doctorate is OK in my book.

I am surprised that these schools have only played each other 3 times. That makes sense in the last 15 years or so, but it looks like we'd have a few games way back somewhere. How long has GWU been playing football?

SoCon48
September 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Series history does not look good for the Bulldogs.

10/15/83 - ASU 21, GWU 17 - in Boone
9/24/88 - ASU 39, GWU 10 - in Boone
9/2/89 - ASU 43, GWU 7 - in Boone (ASU's 350th win)

So this is ASU's first trip to Boiling Springs. It's a nice little place and home to a very good divinty school. I took preaching from the professor who just stepped down as the president of the divinty school. He is a great guy. And any school that gives Johnny Cash an honorary doctorate is OK in my book.

I am surprised that these schools have only played each other 3 times. That makes sense in the last 15 years or so, but it looks like we'd have a few games way back somewhere. How long has GWU been playing football?

That makes sense in the last 15 years or so, but it looks like we'd have a few games way back somewhere. How long has GWU been playing football?

HI HiYI, It was a JC for decades, that would have preven ting them from playing unless it was back in the days that ASU had JV's prior to the freshman rule, etc..

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2006, 02:34 PM
If last year was any indication, ASU will beat GWU, but the bulldogs will play hard for four quarters. They didn't quit at all last year and had a tenacious guy running the offense.

adrianb
September 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
70 was the first year playing football as a 4 year institution.
I believe we have had a football team as far back as the mid 30's

http://www.adrianb.us/images/cash/john%20cash%20gw%201972.jpg
Just a little info on Dr. Johnny Cash (http://www.adrianb.us/cash.htm)

Thumper250
September 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
The 1983 game was close, with the two coaches being Ellis Johnson (GW, now at Alabama?) and Mack Brown (ASU, Tejas).

No way 15-20 thousand get into Spangler Stadium. I'd say 12K max if they stuff the banks. The capacity is just a little under 9,000.

G-W didn't have 600 yards against Furman last year, but they did have over 400. Reading the recounts of their game this past Saturday, I was a bit dumfounded. UT-Martin must be vastly improved, or G-W was looking way ahead. They'll face a tougher ASU defense this week no doubt.

Unless App takes the game too lightly, it shouldn't be a major challenge.

G-W has game notes up online today.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=610910&DB_OEM_ID=10300

HiHiYikas
September 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
70 was the first year playing football as a 4 year institution.
I believe we have had a football team as far back as the mid 30's
That's what makes me think we would have played before, since ASU seems to have played plenty of smaller or defunct schools in the region back then (since we were such a small school ourselves), such as Morganton, Rutherford, West Liberty, Piedmont, Bowden, Maryville, etc. I don't know much about any of those schools.

According to page 188 of the ASU media guide, ASU (Appalachian State Teacher's College in those days) played a school called 'Boiling Springs' on 11/23/1929 (a 6-0 ASU win) and on 11/27/1930 (a 27-0 ASU win). I'm pretty sure that school became Gardner Webb.

goasu984Life
September 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Coach Patton will have the kids ready. Here's not doubt in my mind about that, and they also know that it is going to be an uphill battle for them. Games like this for G-W will hopefully make them ready for the Big South season. I just hope there aren't any injuries, on either side.

adrianb
September 19th, 2006, 10:58 PM
According to page 188 of the ASU media guide, ASU (Appalachian State Teacher's College in those days) played a school called 'Boiling Springs' on 11/23/1929 (a 6-0 ASU win) and on 11/27/1930 (a 27-0 ASU win). I'm pretty sure that school became Gardner Webb.

Yes I do believe you are right.
Boiling Springs Junior College began 1928. Before that it was a boarding high school.

The name was later changed to Gardner-Webb in 1942.

I was mistaken the first recorded football game was in 1920 vs. Gaffney High School, which was not much more than a challenge game. There are records of football games being played from 1925 on.

The Junior College was in pretty bad shape during the depression and dropped football in 1931 but picked it up the following year. I believe we have been playing football ever since.

1970 was G-W's first year as a 4 year school.

You must forgive my nerdiness I did a little research during the summer. :rolleyes:

Lionsrking
September 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Yes I do believe you are right.
Boiling Springs Junior College began 1928. Before that it was a boarding high school.

The name was later changed to Gardner-Webb in 1942.

I was mistaken the first recorded football game was in 1920 vs. Gaffney High School, which was not much more than a challenge game. There are records of football games being played from 1925 on.

The Junior College was in pretty bad shape during the depression and dropped football in 1931 but picked it up the following year. I believe we have been playing football ever since.

1970 was G-W's first year as a 4 year school.

You must forgive my nerdiness I did a little research during the summer. :rolleyes:

Yo' Adrian!! We play you guys next week. I was wondering if Gardner-Webb has a message board? You can visit our board at http://forums.delphiforums.com/SLULions/start. Good luck against App State.

adrianb
September 20th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Yo' Adrian!! We play you guys next week. I was wondering if Gardner-Webb has a message board? You can visit our board at http://forums.delphiforums.com/SLULions/start. Good luck against App State.

No board yet, but feel free to leave comments on the blog. (http://www.adrianb.us/blog.htm)

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2006, 08:22 AM
G-W didn't have 600 yards against Furman last year, but they did have over 400.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=610910&DB_OEM_ID=10300

Who didn't have 400 yrds against Furman last year?:bang:

AppSteeler
September 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Thumper250, Ellis Johnson is now DC at Miss. St., although he did spend time as LB coach with Alabama, when they won the title back in '92, he was head coach at The Citadel about 4 years ago.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
Appy 6-3 at end of 1st quarter.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Appy 13-3 at half.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
after slow start....Tweetsie pulling out of station and picking up steam:hurray: :hurray: 34-3, third quarter

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Two punt returns for TDs by Dexter Jackson in the third quarter broke this one open. 41-3 in the fourth. Kory Alston had an 80-yard TD pass wiped out by an ineligible downfield penalty just a minute ago.

Block-A
September 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
First half was close: ASU had 8 or 9 penalties for 80+ yards. Dexter Jackson back-to-back punt returns for TDs in the third quarter cracked game open.

41-3 ASU in 4th quarter. GW just had 80-yd TD pass negated on illegal man downfield penalty.

Block-A
September 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Dang. Too slow.

It must be the webcast tape delay.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Final score: Appy 41-6:)

adrianb
September 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hats off to ASU. Especially Dexter Jackson. Those were two amazing punt returns.

goasu984Life
September 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I was sitting with some pretty heavy-hitting Yosef people Saturday (by chance, the visitor's side at G-W was general admission). There were some pretty scared people in the first half. Of course, Dexter Jackson kinda wiped those fears away with his punt returns.

ASU Kep
September 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
If any of ya'll are interested you can check out some highlights here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/espnu/index

just click on the link to the right.