PDA

View Full Version : Walk-On Try outs-2 weeks into the season??

Brad82
September 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2013-14/releases/201309053x4dvr

I can't recall ever seeing anything like this?
Anyone got any eligibility left?

pike51
September 6th, 2013, 06:40 AM
When did classes start for them. I know some schools start playing before school starts. It's hard to hold walk on tryouts if there's nobody on campus.

Brad82
September 6th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Let's say classes started the day after labor day.
This team has 20 new players who are more than one year out of high school??
I hope they are just trying to light a spark under the current roster.

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
W&M does this, but doesn't advertise it. We had a cornerback make the team like this in 2007 who ended up as a three year starter and was a Captain his senior year. Tribe refers to them as School-Open Walk-ons.

Brad82
September 6th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Scares the crap out of me.

kdinva
September 6th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I think 1-AA has that roster limit of 95 (or 90?) until classes start.......so walk on tryouts in September is not uncommon......

Twentysix
September 6th, 2013, 12:31 PM
W&M does this, but doesn't advertise it. We had a cornerback make the team like this in 2007 who ended up as a three year starter and was a Captain his senior year. Tribe refers to them as School-Open Walk-ons.

I think everywhere does this, and the posters are just oblivious.

NDSU does it, and hey, we are the best this subdivision has to offer. They usually send an email out via the student listserv.

Brad82
September 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Twentysix-I will bet you couldn't name one walk-on (in this context),who has started a game,or been on the 2 deep or travel squad on any of NDSU's FCS playoff teams. NDSU has too good a coach to resort to public advertising like this for players.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Twentysix-I will bet you couldn't name one walk-on (in this context),who has started a game,or been on the 2 deep or travel squad on any of NDSU's FCS playoff teams. NDSU has too good a coach to resort to public advertising like this for players.

Nate Moody.

Game, Set, Match.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I think Reed Ducscher from Rugby was like that too, at one point he was a starting WR and eventually earned a scholarship. Shortly after earing the scholarship he left the team.

eaglesrthe1
September 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
GSU had a walk on kicker who made the team the day before the semis of the playoffs last year, remember? I sure as hell do.

IBleedYellow
September 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM
GSU had a walk on kicker who made the team the day before the semis of the playoffs last year, remember? I sure as hell do.

LOL!! Poor GSU fans.

Brad82
September 6th, 2013, 04:32 PM
It is disheartening because for the last year,they have been working on building up the roster @ Rhody.