PDA

View Full Version : BTW, Samford ends SoCon drought

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Samford's win over Georgia State was the first SoCon win over an FBS team since Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007. It's about time. Hard to believe we've been that long without an FBS win given all the FBS wins most other playoff conference have gotten over those years.

TheRevSFA
August 30th, 2013, 10:33 PM
FCS 2 - Sun Belt 0

SpeedkingATL
August 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Nice win for Sammy but far from an upset.

walliver
August 30th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Samford's win over Georgia State was the first SoCon win over an FBS team since Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007. It's about time. Hard to believe we've been that long without an FBS win given all the FBS wins most other playoff conference have gotten over those years.

To play devil's advocate, it has been a long time since a SoCon school played a bad FBS school.

When most schools play Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Florida, it is hard to get a FBS win. Georgia State was a sucktackular FCS team, and probably the worst thing to ever happen to the SunBelt, and will likely lose to another SoCon team in two weeks. If G State was ranked in the SoCon, they would be 7th at best.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2013, 11:24 PM
To play devil's advocate, it has been a long time since a SoCon school played a bad FBS school.

When most schools play Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina or Florida, it is hard to get a FBS win. Georgia State was a sucktackular FCS team, and probably the worst thing to ever happen to the SunBelt, and will likely lose to another SoCon team in two weeks. If G State was ranked in the SoCon, they would be 7th at best.

Well, we have had some easy FBS games but they haven't come at the best times...

Wofford got a game against Ohio before they really got going in 2010.
GSU had a game against Navy in our second game after going back to the option.
A lawn mower arguably keeps App. State from beating ECU in 2009.

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Wofford beat Louisiana Monroe (and FBS team) in 2001.

The majority of our opponents in the FBS are BCS conference schools. We've played 3 non-BCS schools in the last 13 years or so. We've gone 1-2 but got throttled in the 2 losses.

walliver
August 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Wofford beat Louisiana Monroe (and FBS team) in 2001.

The majority of our opponents in the FBS are BCS conference schools. We've played 3 non-BCS schools in the last 13 years or so. We've gone 1-2 but got throttled in the 2 losses.

The only bad beat down by a non-BCS team was Air Force, 49-0 in 2003, but we wouldn't lose another game until the semifinals. The Ohio loss was disappointing. We lost to Marshall our first year in the SoCon when they blocked a potential game-winning FG at the buzzer. We lost 48-38 to MTSU the next year. We took UL-L to overtime the next year.

seantaylor
August 31st, 2013, 01:55 AM
Lets be real here. Georgia State is one of the 5 worst FCS schools, let alone FBS.

chattanoogamocs
August 31st, 2013, 02:00 AM

Mocs got the chance to play a weak Sun Belt team under Allison in 2007 when Western Kentucky visited Chattanooga as a first year FBS. UTC took a 21-14 lead in the 4th quarter and ended up losing 28-21.

It will be interesting to see if Georgia State will keep their promise to play in Chattanooga next year.

SUPharmacist
August 31st, 2013, 02:08 AM
Lets be real here. Georgia State is one of the 5 worst FCS schools, let alone FBS.

True last year, we will see this year (they won't be good, but bottom 5 FCS, I doubt it). Also, I would not expect a fan of a team moving up to point out how awful another team that just moved up is. This is why arguments between the divisions don't make sense and each team needs to be evaluated on an individual basis. Lets just give Samford credit for the W.

seantaylor
August 31st, 2013, 04:35 AM
True last year, we will see this year (they won't be good, but bottom 5 FCS, I doubt it). Also, I would not expect a fan of a team moving up to point out how awful another team that just moved up is. This is why arguments between the divisions don't make sense and each team needs to be evaluated on an individual basis. Lets just give Samford credit for the W.

Give them credit for the win, and won money on them. But, still doesn't mean much. Ga State is an FBS only in name, which to me is ridiculous. My only regret for moving to the Sun Belt.

Laker
August 31st, 2013, 07:44 AM
A lawn mower arguably keeps App. State from beating ECU in 2009.

I haven't heard about this before. What is the story on this?

GATA_Eagles
August 31st, 2013, 07:51 AM
I haven't heard about this before. What is the story on this?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4383435

rokamortis
August 31st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Ga State is an FBS only in name

What? GA State isn't allowed to have more than 63 scholarships?

kdinva
August 31st, 2013, 07:54 AM
What? GA State isn't allowed to have more than 63 scholarships?

Yes, "sean" was referring to their quality of play..........so far...

rokamortis
August 31st, 2013, 07:57 AM
Yes, "sean" was referring to their quality of play..........so far...

Well, there are bad teams at every level - especially at the bottom of FBS.

Laker
August 31st, 2013, 08:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4383435

Ouch. Now I understand. Thanks for the link.

Just heard this morning on the radio that a farmer in Minnesota died when he got off of his front end loader to move some items in a burn pit. It slid forward, pinned his leg down and he suffered severe burns before rescuers could pull him out.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2013, 08:37 AM

It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't as easy as I would have liked. GA State is a much improved team, that is true, but Samford should have played better IMO. Panthers had far more success in the passing game than I would have dreamed. Our secondary is a very good one(believe it or not), but the LBs are new and the coordination for good coverage was just not what it should have been. I think that will quickly develop, I'm certainly hoping so anyhow. Credit for our second half adjustments, and how the kids would not be denied. Glad for the W, but looking for better pass defense and running game. I still believe that our Dogs will have a very good season.

md64179
August 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM
Congrats to Samford. Ga state may not be the best fbs team, but a win is a win!

ThompsonThe
August 31st, 2013, 10:10 AM
Congratulations to Samford. You did the SoCon proud. Doesn't matter what some may say, Georgia State is in Atlanta, Georgia, and they argue continuously that recruits would flock to them like flies on a dead horse. They play in a domed NFL stadium, which even the broadcasters were saying college football is not played indoors, hear that NDSU and Idaho, ha, ha. At least they were able to fit the visiting Samford crowd in which some said outnumbered the home team. Anyway, Georgia State is a "market" team so they have to be good because they play in a huge market, with a great airport. They hired a legendary coach to begin their program right, and now have Coach Trent Miles, not related to head coach at LSU Miles,who brought Indiana State back to respectability. An FBS win is an FBS win, even with them being transitional FBS.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/CRE48/Banners-%20Conference%20Maps-%20School%20Emblems/Georgia%20STATE/3qdwv_zpsa42da5e1.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/CRE48/media/Banners-%20Conference%20Maps-%20School%20Emblems/Georgia%20STATE/3qdwv_zpsa42da5e1.jpg.html)

seantaylor
September 1st, 2013, 02:40 AM
Still really don't understand the "market" thing. If you are in a giant market, which Ga State is not, then I guess I could suspend disbelief. But, the main thing is that any team in any market has to carry that market for it to be kosher. State doesn't carry that market.