PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth @ Liberty - 9/7

Sly Fox
August 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM
The Hawks get a little taste in Lynchburg of what is in store for them next year in the Big South.

For those of you Monmouth fans on the board, you should consider yourselves formally invited to drop by the Liberty board:

http://FlameFans.com

Both teams are coming off season opening losses to extremely tough opponents. This one should say a great deal about how good each of these squads are moving forward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Monmouth is not very good. The only positive thing they showed last night was a solid RB and an ok OL. Liberty should win comfortably...

MU's first 3 games
@ MSU
@ Liberty
Lehigh

knucklehead
August 30th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Should we expect many Monmouth fans? We may need all the room for ours. We need to pack it out! I thought it was funny that Kent's coaches and writers were so "Overwhelmed" by the record setting fan support last night (Just over 20K).

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Should we expect many Monmouth fans? We may need all the room for ours. We need to pack it out! I thought it was funny that Kent's coaches and writers were so "Overwhelmed" by the record setting fan support last night (Just over 20K).

I was extremely impressed with Liberty's performance against Kent State last night. The Golden Flashes are a very respectable FBS team. To push them to the brink says a lot about the Flames potential this year.

knucklehead
September 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Hype for the first home game! So ready!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxhBKy1Ar8&feature=youtube_gdata_player&n oredirect=1

NFLCB2
September 1st, 2013, 12:34 PM
With Monmouth you just never know which team is going to show up is going go show up. Ive been to Lynchburg a few times, theres a great restaurant called Rivermont I believe. Good food!

Sly Fox
September 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Despite the disappointing 4th Quarter at Kent, I fully expect a great crowd on Saturday in Williams Stadium. Hopefully some Monmouth fans make the road trip down to get the full experience of the Big South.

Sly Fox
September 3rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
It is tough to tell much from that box score, so I'd love to hear from Monmouth fans what positives can be pulled from the Montana State experience.

knucklehead
September 4th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Some notes from the Liberty Tuesday presser with Coach Gill.
http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/article_dfa47a88-14f7-11e3-8a0d-001a4bcf6878.html

* Gill on Monmouth: “A solid football team. Coach (Kevin) Callahan has won over 100 football games, and he knows how to coach. The thing that impresses me the most about their whole football team is they play hard. They understand what they need to do and how they need to do it, so we need to play a top-notch game.
“I think their offensive skill players are very, very good. They’ve got two or three receivers that are very solid. One guy is about 6-4, 215 (Neal Sterling). The other is about 6-2, probably about 200 or 205 pounds (Lamar Davenport). They’ve got another guy who is 5-10, 195 pounds (Eric Sumlin) who has good speed. All of the skill positions -- running back, tight ends, wide receivers, quarterback -- all have very good skill for them.”

Anything from up Monmouth way?

knucklehead
September 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Just some game notes for any interested. http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=11195&TeamID=

knucklehead
September 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
A look at Monmouth from a LU perspective: http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/article_0a53cffe-1651-11e3-8497-001a4bcf6878.html

Kevin Callahan has 114 victories in 21 seasons as Monmouth’s football coach, and he’s built the program at the New Jersey school from the ground up. As the Hawks -- who face Liberty Saturday at 7 p.m. at Williams Stadium -- begin the slow build-up to full scholarship play, Callahan has a nearby program to model his after: Stony Brook.

And I like this quote best.

* Callahan said Liberty’s defense is well disciplined and runs to the ball very well, and he said the Flames remind him a bit of Montana State on D with their athleticism and aggressiveness.

knucklehead
September 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM
In case you Monmouth folks want to watch the coverage of this game, here are the details on the newly expanded LFSN. 80 Million Households. Check out the PDF list of outlets.
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=11199&TeamID=

And here is a Video Match-up preview.
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=11203&TeamID=

knucklehead
September 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Note, there are NJ affiliates listed. Even 3 stations in Montana. WOW. Here is the PDF file with the list. https://www.liberty.edu/media/1912/football/gamenotes/2013/LFSN_TV_Broadcast_List_-_9-5-13.pdf

bjtheflamesfan
September 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Im surprised MUHawks hasnt at least weighed in on here (much less made an appearance on FlameFans)

MUHAWKS
September 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Im surprised MUHawks hasnt at least weighed in on here (much less made an appearance on FlameFans)

Good call-- How you guys doing.. After the big effort I put in on Bobcat nation for the Montana St fiasco I was worn out! My first and most pressing question is:

Does Liberty have an ONLINE feed for the game? I am not able to watch via any of those lisetd TV affiliates and apparently my ESPN 3 link is not working. Most schools have an Internet feed via website. I went to your site and it is tough to tell weather the game is available online as of now? Help would be appreciated!

Game: We are 12.5 dogs as per the line I saw and that is about right..The polls mean nothing a you guys are low in receiving votes yet clearly better than about 20 teams in front of you including 2 Ivy league teams and teams like Wagner, Lehigh etc. We respect your coach and team and know we will have our hands full. Our defense is not very good aside from a few decent individual players. I would be shocked if we hold you to anything less than 31. I still think our offense will be pretty good. New QB got the cobwebs out, solid WR corp, 2 very good RB's and an athletic TE.. I think barring absurdly high team speed on your end we will score.. If your speed truly IS that good than we can still run...As always with MU it will come down to 2 things: Can we NOT let up big plays and which team shows up.. When we bring our "a" game we can play with most FCS teams that are not top 5 caliber. We let up too many big plays and just like Montana St I will say it again. If we can weather the first 7-10 minutes without going down 17-0, we will be in this game. Clearly we are a decided underdog and you guys are on the rise. I still maintain we have a chance to be good this year and this week will go a long way to showing that. We ran into a week 1 monster and I think we can bounce back.. Our guys are excited and ready...

bjtheflamesfan
September 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Good call-- How you guys doing.. After the big effort I put in on Bobcat nation for the Montana St fiasco I was worn out! My first and most pressing question is:

Does Liberty have an ONLINE feed for the game? I am not able to watch via any of those lisetd TV affiliates and apparently my ESPN 3 link is not working. Most schools have an Internet feed via website. I went to your site and it is tough to tell weather the game is available online as of now? Help would be appreciated!

Game: We are 12.5 dogs as per the line I saw and that is about right..The polls mean nothing a you guys are low in receiving votes yet clearly better than about 20 teams in front of you including 2 Ivy league teams and teams like Wagner, Lehigh etc. We respect your coach and team and know we will have our hands full. Our defense is not very good aside from a few decent individual players. I would be shocked if we hold you to anything less than 31. I still think our offense will be pretty good. New QB got the cobwebs out, solid WR corp, 2 very good RB's and an athletic TE.. I think barring absurdly high team speed on your end we will score.. If your speed truly IS that good than we can still run...As always with MU it will come down to 2 things: Can we NOT let up big plays and which team shows up.. When we bring our "a" game we can play with most FCS teams that are not top 5 caliber. We let up too many big plays and just like Montana St I will say it again. If we can weather the first 7-10 minutes without going down 17-0, we will be in this game. Clearly we are a decided underdog and you guys are on the rise. I still maintain we have a chance to be good this year and this week will go a long way to showing that. We ran into a week 1 monster and I think we can bounce back.. Our guys are excited and ready...

www.libertychannel.com and www.liberty.edu/flames both have links to live video so you should be able to tune in either of those places MUHawks

MUHAWKS
September 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
www.libertychannel.com (http://www.libertychannel.com) and www.liberty.edu/flames (http://www.liberty.edu/flames) both have links to live video so you should be able to tune in either of those places MUHawks

Thanks a lot man! Best of luck- my only true hope as always is that everyone stays healthy-- after that, let the best team win..

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Monmouth really needs those extra 23 scholarships. The Hawks seemed a bit overwhelmed by the atmosphere and the speed of the game. But I really look forward to you guys joining the league next year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Monmouth really needs those extra 23 scholarships. The Hawks seemed a bit overwhelmed by the atmosphere and the speed of the game. But I really look forward to you guys joining the league next year.

They were completely outclassed last week. Definitely headed for a long season...

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM
It will be interesting to hear the reaction from Callahan comparing the first two weeks. The results were very similar.

knucklehead
September 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM
The crowd was really great yesterday. 18,400+ Student section at LU has to be one of the best in the country. That sea of red is awesome. LU's defense will be one of the best in the country this year. They have been really, really great in the first 2 weeks. These guys are flying and getting those take aways we were not getting last year. Offense looked much better, but the O-Line has a little work to do on run blocking. Next week should be a fairly easy tune up W vs Morgan St followed by the game I've had circled for a long time - Richmond!

SpiderJPO
September 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to your visit to Richmond at Robins Stadium. As you probably know Coach Rocco will have our squad ready. We have a solid team that is deep and poised. We are also playing with a chip on our shoulder after last years playoff snub. One first down from beating NC State last night in Raleigh after leading until a 48 yard FG beat us with 33 seconds left in game.

knucklehead
September 8th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Yea, I was cheering for you guys last night when I saw the score. Rocco almost beat NCST with us here at LU too. I have a lot of respect for Danny, but man are our players amped for that game. I've talked to a lot of them, and they have had that one circled for a while. It should be a great game. I think Rocco will be very impressed and proud of LUs current Defense. Biggest thing for LU is it will be a chance to see and show what they really have.