PDA

View Full Version : NSU LA

bobcatalum05
September 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I am headed your way this year for our football matchup this year. I was hoping some of you guys on here could tell me where to stay, eat, and what to see. I like cajun food, bars, and to see the sites. Let me know what you got for me to do there.

NSUDemon98
September 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I am headed your way this year for our football matchup this year. I was hoping some of you guys on here could tell me where to stay, eat, and what to see. I like cajun food, bars, and to see the sites. Let me know what you got for me to do there.

The Church Street Inn in downtown historic Natchitoches I hear is VERY nice. There are also around 60 Bed & Breakfast houses in a town of 20,000...

Natchitoches doesn't have much Cajun influence. From Alexandria-North it really isn't Cajun influence...more like East Texas...LOL!!!

Now, that aside, there is GREAT food in Natchitoches. Most either country cooking or Creole[not cajun]. Natchitoches is known far and wide for their meat pies. Lasyone's is my favorite place to eat and has THE best meat pies that are in existence. It is also a block away from the Church Street Inn.

McNeese72
September 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Not much Cajun food there. Eat some meat pies instead.

A couple of good restaurants are the Mariner out on the lake and the Landing downtown.

Doc

Dallas Demon
September 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM
The Church Street Inn in downtown historic Natchitoches I hear is VERY nice. There are also around 60 Bed & Breakfast houses in a town of 20,000...

Natchitoches doesn't have much Cajun influence. From Alexandria-North it really isn't Cajun influence...more like East Texas...LOL!!!

Now, that aside, there is GREAT food in Natchitoches. Most either country cooking or Creole[not cajun]. Natchitoches is known far and wide for their meat pies. Lasyone's is my favorite place to eat and has THE best meat pies that are in existence. It is also a block away from the Church Street Inn.

Isn't the place downtown (Papa's?) Cajun food? It's a big hangout.

bobcatalum05
September 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Not much Cajun food there. Eat some meat pies instead.

A couple of good restaurants are the Mariner out on the lake and the Landing downtown.

Doc

Thanks, Keep it coming. Any Bars?????

I am also headed to McNeese this year as well so feel free to comment there as well.

Dallas Demon
September 18th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Yes, I grew up near Natchitoches and I think I was almost 10 before I met my first Cajun - I was amazed. Nationally, folks assume north Louisiana is Cajun - wrong. Definitely there is more association with east Texas.

bobcatalum05
September 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, I grew up near Natchitoches and I think I was almost 10 before I met my first Cajun - I was amazed. Nationally, folks assume north Louisiana is Cajun - wrong. Definitely there is more association with east Texas.

So what you guys are telling me is that the possum filled meat pies are the way to go. I kid....... I kid.....!

Dallas Demon
September 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM
So what you guys are telling me is that the possum filled meat pies are the way to go. I kid....... I kid.....!

I never asked what was in the meat pies come to think of it! :eek:

They are darn good, that's for sure.

NSUDemon98
September 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I think it is a mixture of pork/beef with various spices. However I bet you could probably find a possum meat pie out in the sticks.

NSUDemon98
September 18th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Just like the commentators from CSTV who worked the NSU - Delaware St. game this past weekend.

Demon Fan
September 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

The restaurants that the guy from McNeese mentioned are both good. If you want a steak try the Trail Boss Steakhouse in the Cane River Shopping Center. Another that is more of a Bar/Grill is The Library on University Parkway. As in "Don't lie to you Ma, tell her you're at The Library". Right after the game there is a thing called "Boogie on the Bricks" on Front Street. It is a mini festival with bands, beer and ...well you get the picture.

GeauxLions94
September 18th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Papa's, down by the river in the old section of Natchitoches has some pretty good food (can't remember any Cajun) and booze. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you're looking for quick (and pretty good), you can get crawfish pies and beer from the Jet24 near the interstate (a stone's throw from most of the hotels). :thumbsup:

GeauxColonels
September 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM

DEFINITELY get a meat pie! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.

I remember on a trip to SFA with the Nicholls State marching band, we stopped at a gas station and bought some meat pies. SOOOOOOOOO tasty.

GAD
September 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
If Cajun food is what you are looking for Southwest La. would be the place to go (McNeese or especially UL-L)but be careful those "Coon Asses" down there will put 10 or 15 pounds on you real quick!

bobcatalum05
September 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
If Cajun food is what you are looking for Southwest La. would be the place to go (McNeese or especially UL-L)but be careful those "Coon Asses" down there will put 10 or 15 pounds on you real quick!

Yeah, I have been to Prejeans(no idea how to spell it) in Lafayette . Good Gumbo......... To all of you in NW LA sorry for the stereo typical beliefs....

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 18th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Meat Pies and Boudin....

Nice combination...

As for where to stay...I better leave that one to the People of Natchitoches. :nod:

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 18th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I have been to Prejeans(no idea how to spell it) in Lafayette . Good Gumbo......... To all of you in NW LA sorry for the stereo typical beliefs....

We're used to it :cool: