PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week Four

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
It may end up being the SoCon Big Three as 1,2,3 again but if it happens it will not be from lack of trying from the other 5. WCU, Wofford, Chatt and Elon all seem to be playing better than last year and this week two of the four get their shot at putting a dent in the Big 3. It is going to be a fun ride in the SoCon this year

Appalachian State @ Gardner Webb - - - - - - -

The ASU people hate this.:nod: Not playing Gardner Webb but playing at Gardner Webb. xlolx This pisses them off more than playing in the SoCon.:smiley_wi Regardless of who is quarterbacking, this isn’t close……

ASU by 28

Western Carolina @ Furman - - - - - - - - -

It took seven long years, 15 interceptions and 25 fumbles, but in 2005 WCU finally beat the Paladins. As I said in another thread, this is not the second game of the year and this is not in the Whee
( Tha's disgusting:rolleyes: ).

Furman by 10

By 20 if we run the offense we ran at Chapel Hill

GSU @ Chattanooga

My My My how things can change. Can BVG stay in town for another week? GSU realized that they can run the football even with out the option and Chatt realized that, even while losing, they are a different team than in years past. GSU is in for a few more shocks this season and this is one of them.

Chattanooga by 4.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Citadel @ Pitt.

Pitt by a lot.

Wofford and Elon - - - - -Idle

Kudos to Elon for being 2-1 when I thought at the first of the season it would be the reverse

And a super KUDOS to the Terriers for scaring the shat out of Spurrier

gsugt1
September 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
You on crack ;) ? GSU 41 UTC 21

Furman24
WCU 21

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Here I go...

App State at GWU: Gardner Webb shows some tenacity. They made a respectable game of it last year against Furman, but the Apps are still too tough for the bulldogs.

Western Carolina at Furman: As I mentioned before, WCU had an advantage last year as they had Mars Hill in game one while Furman had JSU. This year, it's the fourth game of the year, both teams had tough road games the prior week, and Furman will not be suprised by Western twice, especially not at Paladin Stadium.

GSU at Chattanooga: Chattanooga is a somewhat different team in that they can win ballgames this year. GSU has played two less than stellar opponents at home and now must hit the road against an explosive offense in a stadium that even the national champs had a scare in last year. Mocs win a big one for the program.

Citadel at Pitt: Think Pitt will overlook a SoCon team a second time? Probably. Still, they will win this game.

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM
You on crack ;) ? GSU 41 UTC 21

Furman24
WCU 21

Prolly, :D

GSU is going to lose to someone outside the big three this year so I thought I would just start picking:smiley_wi

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I think WCU is a much bigger threat than UTC this year.

WCUFLALUM
September 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Western has two things going for it. It won a BIG game last week and they beat Furman last year. Great for the confidence!! Western in a CLOSE one!

Western- 27
Furman- 24
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Western has two things going for it. It won a BIG game last week and they beat Furman last year. Great for the confidence!! Western in a CLOSE one!

Western- 27
Furman- 24
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Winning last year is one of the things working against you:D

ButlerGSU
September 18th, 2006, 02:12 PM
App State at GWU: ASU shouldn't even bring their starters. They roll 52-10.

Western Carolina at Furman: We'll find out if WCU is for real. Furman is at home and looking for blood from last season. Furman wins 31-21.

GSU at Chattanooga: Depends who shows up. If the GSU that played Saturday comes then we unleash our running backs for another good show and 350+ yards on the ground. UTC will burn us deep for a few scores. GSU wins, 35-28.

Citadel at Pitt: Pitt by 21. Sorry fellas.

atlGAmocs
September 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM
App State at GWU: ASU shouldn't even bring their starters. They roll 52-10.

Western Carolina at Furman: We'll find out if WCU is for real. Furman is at home and looking for blood from last season. Furman wins 31-21.

GSU at Chattanooga: Depends who shows up. If the GSU that played Saturday comes then we unleash our running backs for another good show and 350+ yards on the ground. UTC will burn us deep for a few scores. GSU wins, 35-28.

Citadel at Pitt: Pitt by 21. Sorry fellas.

350+ on the ground vs the Mocs. The Mocs have given up 332 through 3 games and BVG's pro style offense is going to get 350. :nonono2: Mocs especially Antonio Miller showed a lot of spunk against WKU. Mocs have been solid against the run, weaker against the pass. GSU is only averaging 116 ypg in the air against weak competition. Mocs have their revenge for last year's a** whipping. UTC 27 GSU 13.

ASU 34 - GW 10 - GW plays with some pride after their embarrasing loss to UT-Martin, but pride doesn't = victory.

Citdogs 6 - Pitt 42 Pitts stinks for a BCS conference team, but Citadel stinks for I-AA school.

Furman 34 - WCU 13. I think Furman and ASU are the class of the conference. WCU comes in with too much confidence from last week and last year and it bites them in the Whee.

ASU Kep
September 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM
ASU - 42
G-W - 6

Furman - 27
WCU - 21

Pitt - A lot
El Cid - Not a lot

SOCON GOW:

UTC - 38 (Chatty will rip GSU's secondary apart).
GSU - 21

Statement game for UTC. I'll be more than happy to eat crow if it turns out like most GSU fans think. UTC is for real this year, guys. They played us tough at home last year late in the season (when we were starting to peak) and it wasn't because we played a bad game. They've come outta the gates strong, and have a lot of talent. GSU so far this season is living off of their name. I not only think UTC wins this one, but they also finish ahead of GSU in the SOCON, competing with WCU for a potential 3rd playoff spot. Prove me wrong, GSU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
350+ on the ground vs the Mocs. The Mocs have given up 332 through 3 games and BVG's pro style offense is going to get 350. :nonono2: Mocs especially Antonio Miller showed a lot of spunk against WKU. Mocs have been solid against the run, weaker against the pass. GSU is only averaging 116 ypg in the air against weak competition. Mocs have their revenge for last year's a** whipping. UTC 27 GSU 13.

ASU 34 - GW 10 - GW plays with some pride after their embarrasing loss to UT-Martin, but pride doesn't = victory.

Citdogs 6 - Pitt 42 Pitts stinks for a BCS conference team, but Citadel stinks for I-AA school.

Furman 34 - WCU 13. I think Furman and ASU are the class of the conference. WCU comes in with too much confidence from last week and last year and it bites them in the Whee.

No way you guys hold us to just 13. I realize our passing numbers don't look good on paper, but we haven't had to put it in the air as much this year. If UTC does manage to stuff our amazing depth that we have at RB, we should be ready to resort to throwing the ball well if needed. Look for UTC to be ahead a touchdown or so at half time and for the eagles to run away with it in the second.

GSU 42 UTC 21

Don't think that WCU is going to be motivated and playing hard next year as well. Pallies win in a close one.

Furman 31 WCU 28

ASU rolls over Gardner Webb, works even more kinks out of their game...gets even stronger

Appalachian 37 Gardner Webb 7

and finally

Pitt gets a first half scare but runs away with it in the 2nd half
Pitt - 35
Citadel - 17

atlGAmocs
September 18th, 2006, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=
UTC - 38 (Chatty will rip GSU's secondary apart).
GSU - 21

Statement game for UTC. I'll be more than happy to eat crow if it turns out like most GSU fans think. UTC is for real this year, guys. They played us tough at home last year late in the season (when we were starting to peak) and it wasn't because we played a bad game. They've come outta the gates strong, and have a lot of talent. GSU so far this season is living off of their name. I not only think UTC wins this one, but they also finish ahead of GSU in the SOCON, competing with WCU for a potential 3rd playoff spot. Prove me wrong, GSU.[/QUOTE]

:hurray: :nod: ASUKep is drinking the Blue and Gold Kool-Aid, I like it. :hurray:

goasu984Life
September 18th, 2006, 04:00 PM

The ASU people hate this.:nod: Not playing Gardner Webb but playing at Gardner Webb. xlolx This pisses them off more than playing in the SoCon.:smiley_wi Regardless of who is quarterbacking, this isn’t close……

ASU by 28

Actually, this is probably smart for the Mountaineers, with Boiling Springs close to Charlotte. There are a lot of Mountaineers in Mecklenburg County who will make the trip to Gardner-Webb for the game. I'm going. Good to have family close and friends that still work at good ole G-W from when I worked there. Not that bad of a trip for a road game, considering whhere they have had to travel in the past.

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM
but we haven't had to put it in the air as much this year

Did a GSU fan post that?:eyebrow:

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Actually, this is probably smart for the Mountaineers, with Boiling Springs close to Charlotte. There are a lot of Mountaineers in Mecklenburg County who will make the trip to Gardner-Webb for the game. I'm going. Good to have family close and friends that still work at good ole G-W from when I worked there. Not that bad of a trip for a road game, considering whhere they have had to travel in the past.

You are probably right, but when the schedule was announced there was a lot of sqawking on the MMB. :smiley_wi

goasu984Life
September 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM
It's not like it's gonna be a game anyway. Gives me a chance to go and see the folks and hang out with my buddies and drink beer after the game. (Not really a tailgating school, G-W. I can hear the Bibles thumping from here.) I'm not arguing. Trust me.

ASU Kep
September 18th, 2006, 04:13 PM
:hurray: :nod: ASUKep is drinking the Blue and Gold Kool-Aid, I like it. :hurray:

We still beat you guys come Oct. 3rd. :D

It's probably got a lot to do with having M-H, G-W, and Elon for three weeks, but I'm a little worried about that game. Elon has gotten better, but UTC will likely be our first good game in nearly a month (barring something absolutely terrible happening, of course). I just hope we turn off our auto-pilot before that one, and we SHOULD be all right. Good luck to the Mocs in the meantime though, I'd love to see you guys make me look smart. :thumbsup:

soulraptor
September 18th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Citdogs Vs Pitt- Would like to give more to the Citadel, but it looks like a blowout Pitt 42-7.

FU-WCU Last years results mean nothing. FU is one of the teams to beat this year, and I do not see many doing it. FU 28-17.

ASU-GW No contest, because ASU is the other team to beat. ASU 38-7.

GSU-UTC This is a tough one. GSU building a new offense that seems to improved greatly in one week. UTC off to a good start, and has a team that can win games. I say GSU continues to come together on offense, and builds on what they learned against CCU. I think that Southerns defense will be trying to prove something this weekend also. GSU 21-17

youwouldno
September 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
GSU has not shown a real passing game. I'll believe it when I see it. So I think UTC's defense might be able to stay with the Eagles.

UTC 21
GSU 20

WCU 13
Furman 31

App St 38
G-W 14

Pitt 41
El Cid 14

gsugt1
September 18th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Don't you mean 25 years of a$$ whippings ? xlolx With all due respect I doubt you have faced a team with the backs and line we have.

FWIW on the two deep depth chart we have right now... 3/26 of all offensive players are Seniors, and 6/22 Defensive players are Seniors...Now the 6 Defensive players include Charrod Taylor, Shaheed Solomen, Jason Earwood, and John Mohring....which all are great players, so its gonna hurt to lose those 4, but overall the lineup is REALLY young, and that's very exciting. Better get us this year cause we are only going to get better every year.

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Did a GSU fan post that?:eyebrow:
you dont remember 1984 do you xlolx just kidding.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
GSU has not shown a real passing game. I'll believe it when I see it. So I think UTC's defense might be able to stay with the Eagles.

Like I said before, the numbers may not look good on paper, but the few passes that we did throw (we didn't need to because we made so many good runs) were on target and we made good catches.

And for those of you criticizing our defense...zzzzzzzzz...didn't you learn your lesson from GSU-Furman last year and all the other 800 times people said our D would be our downfall and we won?

ronpayne
September 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
It may end up being the SoCon Big Three as 1,2,3 again but if it happens it will not be from lack of trying from the other 5. WCU, Wofford, Chatt and Elon all seem to be playing better than last year and this week two of the four get their shot at putting a dent in the Big 3. It is going to be a fun ride in the SoCon this year

ASU by 28

Western Carolina @ Furman - - - - - - - - -

It took seven long years, 15 interceptions and 25 fumbles, but in 2005 WCU finally beat the Paladins. As I said in another thread, this is not the second game of the year and this is not in the Whee
( Tha's disgusting:rolleyes: ).

Furman by 10

By 20 if we run the offense we ran at Chapel Hill

GSU @ Chattanooga

My My My how things can change. Can BVG stay in town for another week? GSU realized that they can run the football even with out the option and Chatt realized that, even while losing, they are a different team than in years past. GSU is in for a few more shocks this season and this is one of them.

Chattanooga by 4.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Citadel @ Pitt.

Pitt by a lot.

Wofford and Elon - - - - -Idle

Kudos to Elon for being 2-1 when I thought at the first of the season it would be the reverse

And a super KUDOS to the Terriers for scaring the shat out of Spurrier

My quick guessing game. I don't profess to have any superior knowledge, just a band director with passion for football! Go Apps!

ASU vs. GWU - I'm going to say 41-0 like last week. Our defense rocks, and the rookie QB did really well. 2nd string comes in 2nd half and we beat the crap out of them. (Amen.)

Furman vs. WCU - Close game, but I'm going to have to go with Furman on this one. Its in Furman, and as much as I don't like to admit it, they are playing strong right now. Furman by 2 touchdowns, pulling away in the end. 35-21, Paladins.

GSU vs. Chatt - I think this is another close one, but I'm going with the home team here. GSU tries, but can't succeed in Chattanooga. UTC makes a case for a 3rd socon playoff berth in 2006 with a nailbiter winning 21-14.

Lastly, Citadel vs. Pitt - Not even going to dignify this one with a commentary. Pitt by a crapload!

Go Apps! Win one for my birthday!

The Cats
September 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
No way you guys hold us to just 13. I realize our passing numbers don't look good on paper, but we haven't had to put it in the air as much this year. If UTC does manage to stuff our amazing depth that we have at RB, we should be ready to resort to throwing the ball well if needed. Look for UTC to be ahead a touchdown or so at half time and for the eagles to run away with it in the second.

GSU 42 UTC 21

Don't think that WCU is going to be motivated and playing hard next year as well. Pallies win in a close one.

Furman 31 WCU 28

ASU rolls over Gardner Webb, works even more kinks out of their game...gets even stronger

Appalachian 37 Gardner Webb 7

and finally

Pitt gets a first half scare but runs away with it in the 2nd half
Pitt - 35
Citadel - 17

GSU and UTC - GSU travels for its first road game and first road loss. UTC 24 GSU 10

ASU and GW - ASU is way over confident, overlooks GW and gets a real scare in a close win, 28 to 20.

Pitt and Citadel, 35 - 14

WCU and FU - Furman is hopping mad and looking for revenge for last year's loss to WCU, while ranked #2 in the nation. The wine and cheese guys are ranked again in the top 5, and way to confident in a victory. FU finds out that the Catamounts are for real, loses at home, 17 -10.

youwouldno
September 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Like I said before, the numbers may not look good on paper, but the few passes that we did throw (we didn't need to because we made so many good runs) were on target and we made good catches.

And for those of you criticizing our defense...zzzzzzzzz...didn't you learn your lesson from GSU-Furman last year and all the other 800 times people said our D would be our downfall and we won?

GSU won that game by running for a million yards. Ingle threw the easy pick at the end but GSU's defense wasn't impressive (neither was Furman's). And GSU lost a lot from last year's squad. GSU is free to prove the doubters wrong.

gsugt1
September 18th, 2006, 08:13 PM
GSU won that game by running for a million yards. Ingle threw the easy pick at the end but GSU's defense wasn't impressive (neither was Furman's). And GSU lost a lot from last year's squad. GSU is free to prove the doubters wrong.

Lost alot ? Not really by the end of the year our defense will be better than lasts years. I like it that everyone is doubting us. I guarantee you that no coach we play will take us lightly.

youwouldno
September 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
A good coach takes no opponent lightly. The difference is that a lot more coaches can go into a game against GSU knowing they have a chance to win.

TheRock21
September 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
You are correct sir! I, along with 9 others, will be making the trip to Boiling Springs from Charlotte, only about an hour drive. Word of advice for those who are going, ARRIVE EARLY the traffic is going to be insane. Only a two lane road in and out of G-Dubb! The word on their campus is a record attendance is in the making, (15,000+) :nod:

psc2445
September 18th, 2006, 09:42 PM
ASU 44
GW 6

GSU 31
UTC 17

WCU 10
FURMAN 28

CITADEL 13
PITT 38

catamount man
September 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
WCU-19
FURMAN-15

APP STATE-51
GARDNER-WEBB 7

GSU-30
UTC-20

EL CID-10
PITT-44

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

straightshooter
September 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
After GSU's first game debacle, coaches probably did feel that they could go into a game with the Eagles knowing they had a chance to win. After the Coastal Carolina game, coaches will look at the GSU game thinking they've got a chance to win. I predict that after a few more games, coaches will look at the GSU game hoping they've got a chance to win.

Don't get lulled to sleep by the changes at GSU. They still have plenty of talent to put on the field, and now that they've show they have the old GSU option in the playbook with Foster under center, the nightmares might be just around the corner.

Once they get Foster totally healthy, they will put the ball in his hands more. The receivers caught the ball much better the second game. Not a single pass was dropped. Clark looked much more comfortable and in control of his game, and GSU got the TE involved in the offense. Eagle fans got introduced to Lamar Lewis, who showed some big time ability. He's a 200 lb. back with 4.4 speed and great cut back ability.

The problems with the secondary will be fixed. They are very young, but talented. One corner is a true freshman and one safety is a redshirt freshman. Carson Hill was the 57th rated corner in the nation last year out of high school and safety Brandon Echols was heavily recruited and offered by Furman and many others before choosing GSU. They will be coached up by VanGorder, and they will be better players for it. Count on it.

Chattanooga has beaten GSU once it it's history, and even though the Mocs are much better, don't think that GSU is much worse.

GSU 27
Mocs 20

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Yes, GSU won that game, but the defense was still not impressive. Two plays stuck out in my mind.

1. Ingle Martin throwing a GSU defensive lineman off him like he was a sack of potatoes.

2. Jerome Felton going 40 yrds untouched to the endzone. Now someone tell me how a 250 lbs fullback runs a dive and no one touches him for half the football field

Not that any of that matters now, but I loved those two plays. Outcome could have been different though ;)

BULLDOG8180
September 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM

You will regret this remark. :nono:

Baldy
September 18th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, GSU won that game, but the defense was still not impressive. Two plays stuck out in my mind.

1. Ingle Martin throwing a GSU defensive lineman off him like he was a sack of potatoes.

2. Jerome Felton going 40 yrds untouched to the endzone. Now someone tell me how a 250 lbs fullback runs a dive and no one touches him for half the football field

Not that any of that matters now, but I loved those two plays. Outcome could have been different though ;)
1. Ingle Martin threw a Safety off his back like a sack of potatoes.

2. I've seen plenty of GSU fullbacks run numerous of times untouched for 40+ yards against Furman over the years. :)

youwouldno
September 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM
None of them weighed 250.

SouthernEagle02
September 18th, 2006, 11:03 PM
ASU- 54
GW-7
I hope ASU breaks fifty this time. Disappointed they didn't vs a D-II team.

WCU-23
Furman-21
The Cats are for real in '06

Citadel-14
Pitt-35
Citadel makes it interesting early, but depth catches up with them in the 2nd half

GS-38
UTC-28
Will be a close game the whole time, with both teams scoring nearly everytime they touch the ball.

UPSET SPECIAL
Colorado gets their first win in Athens over #9 UGA. (Ok, won't happen but can I wish?)

Baldy
September 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM
None of them weighed 250.
40+ yards is 40+ yards no matter how much the player weighs.

See what happens when John Mohring meets a 6'2" 245lb back. Look under GSU vs. CCU First Quarter Highlights.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/category.asp?C=78129

youwouldno
September 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I'm sure Mohring did plenty well against CCU. I think Furman will be more of a challenge for the GSU defense.

ASU Kep
September 19th, 2006, 01:57 AM
I'd LOVE to see CU upset UGA, too. We finally agree on something, Eagle02. :)

OL FU
September 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM
you dont remember 1984 do you xlolx just kidding.

I remember '85 and your passing attack was forced upon you by Furman's brilliant rush defense:eyebrow: :o

OL FU
September 19th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Yep, and I remember your last game of the season too:nod:
And unlike another team I am familiar with, your defense did not get better during the season last year

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2006, 06:48 AM
1. Ingle Martin threw a Safety off his back like a sack of potatoes.

2. I've seen plenty of GSU fullbacks run numerous of times untouched for 40+ yards against Furman over the years. :)

Touche', my friend, touche'.

Eaglegus2
September 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I remember '85 and your passing attack was forced upon you by Furman's brilliant rush defense:eyebrow: :o

YEP!!! GSU had to pass to get back into that game.:nod:

I appreciate your run defense back then.;)

Especially the outcome of the game.:cool:

OL FU
September 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Now that the Eagles have defeated the mighty Chanticleers, some of the old cockiness is starting to show up again. And in honor of that GSU Spirit I am changing my prediction

GSU @ Chattanooga

Chattanooga by 44. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

atlGAmocs
September 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM
You will regret this remark. :nono:

BD8180, I apologize, two of my co-workers are Citadel grads including my company mentor; so the comment was the result of some good natured office ribbing ;) . I could very well be eating my words come 9/30.

EagleCrusade
September 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
GSU is going to lose to someone outside the big three this year so I thought I would just start picking:smiley_wi

I think I would have to objectively agree. However, I think the more games played the better GSU will become. My gut feeling says the early games would be the trip wire, but by doing so would only trigger further losses down the road.

Should GSU survive this week..........I dont know. I dont know what's going on. Maybe we should play Chadron State.

atlGAmocs
September 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM

OL FU is on board :hurray: But I don't think the Mocs win by 44, no Eagles keep it closer than that...

UTC 42 GSU 3 xlolx

atlGAmocs
September 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM

OL FU is on board :hurray: But I don't think the Mocs win by 44, no Eagles keep it closer than that...

UTC 42 GSU 3 xlolx

Now i am just a crazy as all of the GSU posters on TSC.

ButlerGSU
September 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Every SoCon game will be tough for GSU but this week is winnable if we play to potential unlike the CCSU game. Really all depends on what GSU team shows up. UTC will be ready and hungry.

LarryBoy
September 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Georgia Southern scares me plenty still. A lot can change after the first game, as we all know.

I remember in '99, after coming off of a disappointing '98 season, Furman opened with a loss at home to Elon. At that point, I'd never even heard of Elon, so I went ahead and conceded the season.

A few months later, we had a share of the conference title and a butt-kicking of UNC to our name.

Furman/GSU--last game of the year, and I expect GSU to still have playoffs to play for, and it'll be a barnburner. I just wish we didn't have to give them enough time to get everything together...

Eagles_Cliff
September 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Apps should roll again over another nobody

Western @ Furman will be interesting. Furman's close game with UNC is admirable, but UNC sucks. Furman wins unimpressively 24-10.

If GSU is 9-1 heading to our last game vs Central Arkansas, I will maintain that we still suck. I cant get the picture out of my mind of losing to a program like CCSU. GSU's offense showed great improvement, but ????? still loom large all over the field. The high score predictions from my brethren are similar to those I saw prior to our opener. I think Chatty has the advantage, but GSU is capable of winning. Mocs 31 GSU 20

If beating GSU gives your program a boost, this year is your chance.

bobbythekidd
September 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM

UTC 42 GSU 3 xlolx

Now i am just a crazy as all of the GSU posters on TSC.

All this trash talking at GSU's expence stinks. I guess this is what it feels like to be an Elon fan.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yep, and I remember your last game of the season too:nod:
And unlike another team I am familiar with, your defense did not get better during the season last year

Our defense went from giving up 38 to Northeastern and 23 to McNeese State to giving up only 24 to App State and 24 to you guys. We also held Texas State pretty well in the first half of that game, and for the second half, give Texas State credit. Barrrick Nealy was an awesome quarterback.

I'm not saying we are going to completely shut UTC down, but they won't score enough the way our offense is playing.

GSU -42
UTC -21 as I said before

Ronald Sconyers
September 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
All this trash talking at GSU's expence stinks. I guess this is what it feels like to be an Elon fan.
I'm keeping my mouth shut, Bobby. It's way too early in the season. You're not tricking me into talking smack yet. I really don't like the taste of crow.:nono: :D Of course, I hope we pound on both of you like a redheaded step-child. : smash : , but we'll see. There's alot of football between now and then. xlolx Damn, I love this time of year! :nod:

But anybody (cat man?) who thinks we're gonna let a bunch of bobtailed kitty-cats come into our house and walk out with a win? You need to put down the crack pipe!:p

BULLDOG8180
September 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
BD8180, I apologize, two of my co-workers are Citadel grads including my company mentor; so the comment was the result of some good natured office ribbing ;) . I could very well be eating my words come 9/30.

No problem, honestly, we did stink last week.:eyebrow:

OL FU
September 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Our defense went from giving up 38 to Northeastern and 23 to McNeese State to giving up only 24 to App State and 24 to you guys. We also held Texas State pretty well in the first half of that game, and for the second half, give Texas State credit. Barrrick Nealy was an awesome quarterback.

I'm not saying we are going to completely shut UTC down, but they won't score enough the way our offense is playing.

GSU -42
UTC -21 as I said before

That was ending where you should have started:smiley_wi

AppGuy04
September 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
If GSU is 9-1 heading to our last game vs Central Arkansas

thats a IF after losing to CCSU

gophoenix
September 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Uhm, no, we never lost to a non-scholarship school .... no matter how bad the season was.

ButlerGSU
September 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Uhm, no, we never lost to a non-scholarship school .... no matter how bad the season was.

Good thing CCSU is a scholarship program...

fuEMO
September 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Georgia Southern scares me plenty still. A lot can change after the first game, as we all know.

I remember in '99, after coming off of a disappointing '98 season, Furman opened with a loss at home to Elon. At that point, I'd never even heard of Elon, so I went ahead and conceded the season.

A few months later, we had a share of the conference title and a butt-kicking of UNC to our name.

Furman/GSU--last game of the year, and I expect GSU to still have playoffs to play for, and it'll be a barnburner. I just wish we didn't have to give them enough time to get everything together...

I think FU/GSU will be a barnburner. But I like the where this game fails for the Paladins this season. All of our young players and Gray should really be clicking by this game.

ErkPeterson
September 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
To say I'm not worried about this game is an understatement. After the first game I'm worried about every game from here on out with the exception of maybe C. Arkansas, then again I wasn't worried about CCSU either.
The difference from week 1 to 2 was night and day. Any team in 1-AA will be hard pressed to stop our running attack. 2 great runners, 2 different styles of attack. Don't be shocked to see Foster @ qb in any short yardage/goalline situation. I'm actually less worried about the O then I am the D. Our D is only going to get better. I expect them to be much improved from game 1, to game 2, etc. Many of you are right, our D last year was atocious. I think GSU puts some serious pts on the board and comes out on top. But again, this is not a typical UTC and in no way do I forsee a def blow-out by Southern. The oily birds will put some pts on the board. Turnovers will = HUGE in this game (as all games). Hope I don't eat some crow... again :bang:

GSU 28 - UTC 14

Purps vs. Cats : Intersting game, The entire league will disect this game no matter what the outcome. WCU is good, Furman way too strong.

FU 35 - WCU 17

Citadel vs. Pitt : I'm a Citadel superfan except when they play us :smiley_wi . Big underdogs. Could care less about the score as long as they win :hurray:

App St. vs GW : Mountaineers roll....
ASU - 45 GW 10

ButlerGSU
September 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
The GSU/UTC game will be higher scoring that that. UTC so far looks like they can stop the run which could be major trouble for GSU but they don't look like they can stop the short pass or deep ball which could be a good thing for Travis Clark and GSU's receivers which haven't been used much so far.

GSU's defense can't seem to stop anything so far this season. Hopefully that's what BVG and the team is focused on this week.

I'm sticking with 38-35 GSU. I just hope we picked up a new kicker this week; anyone from the soccer team could beat Dudley out for the position.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Remember that in the GSU Furman game, the better team only wins about 50% of the time...I don't think the better team has won that game since '02...xlolx

Better be ready when we come up to Greenville in November, no matter what happens with the eagles this season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Looks like UTC has some ?s in the secondary too...

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadlines.asp?sec=s&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fepaper%2Ewehco%2Ecom%2FWebChannel %2FShowStory%2Easp%3FPath%3DChatTFPress%2F2006%2F0 9%2F20%26ID%3DAr03005

Our passing game is better than you think. If we throw the Travis Clark passing game and mix it with some more traditional looking GSU offensive plays, the offense won't be stopped by UTC or anyone in the conference.

atlGAmocs
September 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Our passing game is better than you think. If we throw the Travis Clark passing game and mix it with some more traditional looking GSU offensive plays, the offense won't be stopped by UTC or anyone in the conference.

Are you talking about the offensive juggernaunt that put up 13 points vs CCSU. I think you should wait until after you play UTC, WCU, Furman and App before you talk about rolling through the conference with a brand new offense.

ButlerGSU
September 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Are you talking about the offensive juggernaunt that put up 13 points vs CCSU. I think you should wait until after you play UTC, WCU, Furman and App before you talk about rolling through the conference with a brand new offense.

I agree, the games against CCSU and Coastal mean nothing. We won't know anything about our team till we get into SoCon play. Not talking smack to Coastal but I'm afraid they aren't as good as we thought when we beat them. We'll find out a lot about the Eagles in the next three games...

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I don't know if Coastal's defense can hold back a sneeze. Even Wofford put up 38 on them.*

*no offense to Wofford, but y'all are a defensive team. A good defensive team at that. Shootouts are not your bag, baby.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know if Coastal's defense can hold back a sneeze. Even Wofford put up 38 on them.*

*no offense to Wofford, but y'all are a defensive team. A good defensive team at that. Shootouts are not your bag, baby.

Actually, number wise, Wofford has one of the worst defenses in IAA...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-teamtotaldef.htm
ranked 102 in yards given up per play...

Also, don't forget that they are the team that scored more points on South Carolina than UGA did.

you guys don't give Central Connecticut State and Coastal Carolina enough credit either. I'm telling you...GSU dominates in the second half and wins by two or three touchdowns.

blueballs
September 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I agree, the games against CCSU and Coastal mean nothing. We won't know anything about our team till we get into SoCon play. Not talking smack to Coastal but I'm afraid they aren't as good as we thought when we beat them. We'll find out a lot about the Eagles in the next three games...

Absolutely correct.

youwouldno
September 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I think all this Travis Clark talk is silly. Until he performs on the field it's pure speculation what he can do. Not to hate on him, Furman actually recruited him pretty hard out of HS I think, losing out to So Miss. But it's too early to count on him being a real asset to the GSU offense.

Quite honestly, GSU has played a cupcake schedule so far and has looked pretty bad. Talking up CCSU... GSU fans of the past would not believe such a thing possible. GSU fans are used to being a top dog and aren't dealing well with their transitional period.

UTC is going to give them a serious battle, probably for 4 quarters. I think GSU has a pretty decent chance to win by virtue of a Moc's defense that still has some vulnerabilities, IMO.

ASU Kep
September 20th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Looks like UTC has some ?s in the secondary too...

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadlines.asp?sec=s&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fepaper%2Ewehco%2Ecom%2FWebChannel %2FShowStory%2Easp%3FPath%3DChatTFPress%2F2006%2F0 9%2F20%26ID%3DAr03005

xlolx :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Actually, number wise, Wofford has one of the worst defenses in IAA...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-teamtotaldef.htm
ranked 102 in yards given up per play...

Also, don't forget that they are the team that scored more points on South Carolina than UGA did.

you guys don't give Central Connecticut State and Coastal Carolina enough credit either. I'm telling you...GSU dominates in the second half and wins by two or three touchdowns.

The remark was about Wofford's offense, not their defense. The Terrier's have never been known as an offensive power.

Come on now, two weeks ago you couldn't believe you'd lost to a "glorified high school team." Now they are to be talked up? Coastal has lost to Elon, got blown out by ASU last year, squeaked by Wofford, and beat an obviously not-that-good JMU team as their only real win to hang a hat on.

South Carolina was also starting a wide reciever at quarterback.

Also factor the road. Those first two games have been in the friendly confines, but the Eagles are the only SoCon team yet to hit the road.

One thing both teams will have playing for them is the SoCon officials.....or is that playing against them?

GSUhooligan
September 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM

You beat Tennessee Tech, or Martin, or State or whichever and all of a sudden you think you can put yourself with App. and Furman...Slow down there buddy, don't let all these GSU haters go to your head. They want you to win, but that doesn't mean they think you're any good.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
The remark was about Wofford's offense, not their defense. The Terrier's have never been known as an offensive power.

Well you said that CCU's giving up 30-something points to Wofford is a testament to their lack of a defense..

Come on now, two weeks ago you couldn't believe you'd lost to a "glorified high school team." Now they are to be talked up? Coastal has lost to Elon, got blown out by ASU last year, squeaked by Wofford, and beat an obviously not-that-good JMU team as their only real win to hang a hat on.

I never said CCSU was a high school team. I did say our offense was a complete train wreck that week, and it was. I was the one saying that we weren't giving CCSU any credit. CCSU is still undefeated, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them dominate the NEC this year. After App's scare with Laffayette in the playoffs last year and Colgate's run in '03, everyone should be convinced that you should not underestimate the "non-schollies".

South Carolina was also starting a wide reciever at quarterback.

And what did that have to do with wofford racking up points on USC?

One thing both teams will have playing for them is the SoCon officials.....or is that playing against them?

Who knows, I'll admit that last week is the first game I could remember in a while where we got the good end of a bad call.

bobbythekidd
September 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I never said CCSU was a high school team. I did say our offense was a complete train wreck that week, and it was. I was the one saying that we weren't giving CCSU any credit. CCSU is still undefeated, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them dominate the NEC this year. After App's scare with Laffayette in the playoffs last year and Colgate's run in '03, everyone should be convinced that you should not underestimate the "non-schollies".

I might have been the one to call them a high school team.:o
It was my emotions talking. I was in a state of rage at the time. If it wasn't me, then it makes me a better man. I am too lazy to look it up. My apologies to CCSU, and others on this board (again) if it was me. I still stand behind everything else I said.

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 06:38 AM
Remember that in the GSU Furman game, the better team only wins about 50% of the time...I don't think the better team has won that game since '02...xlolx

Better be ready when we come up to Greenville in November, no matter what happens with the eagles this season.

Considering our historical record against you guys, I will :nod: and not argue with you:D

atlGAmocs
September 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM
You beat Tennessee Tech, or Martin, or State or whichever and all of a sudden you think you can put yourself with App. and Furman...Slow down there buddy, don't let all these GSU haters go to your head. They want you to win, but that doesn't mean they think you're any good.

I think UTC's run defense improvements as demonstrated through the first three games, allows me some reason to believe that the Mocs are going to be pretty good. Do I think they can be the 3rd best team in the conference this year, absolutely. I think it will be a three horse race between UTC, WCU and GSU for #3.

I think the fact that many of the pundits and SoCon posters are picking the Mocs does add value to my belief that the Mocs are a pretty good football team.

OL FU
September 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/indexpic.htm

No. 19 Georgia Southern (1-1) at Chattanooga (1-2), 6:00

After losing at home to Central Connecticut State, Georgia Southern righted the ship last week. The Eagles jumped out to a 31-14 lead by the end of three quarters against Coastal Carolina, and held a 347-99 advantage in rushing yardage. Most figured the Eagles running game would slip because of a move from the option to spread offense this season, but the rushing attack has momentum in the first two weeks. The Eagles are third in the nation with 282.5 rushing yards per game, and Chris Covington leads the country with 173.5 yards per game of his own. Chattanooga’s defense has endured its share of problems over the past few seasons, so a big rushing day for Georgia Southern would seem like a good possibility again. But the Mocs are better against the run than they are the pass, and are holding opponents to 3.4 yards per carry and 110.7 yards per game on the ground. They did have a tougher time last week at Western Kentucky, but have probably improved to the point where Georgia Southern can’t run at will. The real key could be Chattanooga’s offense against a Georgia Southern defense that does not look great through two weeks. The Mocs have Eldra Buckely playing extremely well with 436 yards and three touchdowns on the ground, and Antonio Miller has only thrown one interception after tossing 14 last year. Even though they won last week, I think Georgia Southern will be better in October than it is now. A Chattanooga team that finished 6-5 last year and is coming along nicely is also ready to get a breakthrough win, and nothing would indicate the Mocs arrival more than a win against a team that has owned them for the last decade. Look for Buckley to have a big game to lead Chattanooga to a minor upset. Prediction: Chattanooga 31, Georgia Southern 24

Look for Buckley to have a big game to lead Chattanooga to a minor upset

: smash : : smash : : smash : : smash : : smash :

Minor - dat's gotta hoit

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM
GSU's historical record at Paladin Stadium is not nearly as daunting as their 9-1 record against the Purple at home. I think its around .500....4-3?