PDA

View Full Version : WCU vs Furman

WCUFLALUM
September 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Game predictions for the Western Carolina vs Furman game this week? Western pulled out a win this week vs EKU. Furman gave North Carolina a scare. I am just hoping the lessons learned from this past week will carry over. I wish the game was in the 'Whee!! I think the SoCon needs to take notice! Western is for real!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Fortunately for us, this game is the fourth of the year, not the second and it is in Greenville. I think WCU is for real, but not real enough this week.

Furman 24 WCU 14.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Last year WCU was able to take an "off week" v. Mars Hill while Furman had a drag out fest in Jacksonville, Alabama. Ingle Martin threw 5 picks and Furman was still in that game in the 4th quarter.

My personal feelings is that Western can not and will not suprise Furman twice. Bobby Lamb and the Paladins are looking forward to some retribution for last season's upset. After watching the Furman offense roll and knowing how good the defense is...

Paladins win a big one at home 27-14.

AppGuy04
September 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM
FU- 28
Western- 17

GSUhooligan
September 18th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Western 24
Furmie 21

WCU LawCat
September 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I just don't know about this one...

BestOfBreed
September 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Much like OL FU mentions in the SoCon Week Four thread, I think this game depends on which offense Furman runs.

youwouldno
September 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Furman is better than Western. Only massive turnovers like last year will result in a WCU win. I'm not disrespecting Western but that's just a factual talent assessment. WCU doesn't have the passing game UNC does, and the Paladins are tough against the run (especially if they aren't getting burned in the passing game). Furman's offense is hard to figure at this point but if Gray plays like he did against UNC, it will be a blowout.

Furman 28
WCU 13

HiHiYikas
September 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I'll buy that Western is a tough team this year (they're in my top 25 this week for sure). I can see them giving the Paladins a good game, much like last year.

Furman's the better team at the moment, but they were the better team last year (before and after losing to WCU). It's not a fluke when the lesser team wins, it's just the way football (and sports in general) works.

Anyway, Furman has payback on their minds, and a home crowd backing them after putting 6 TD's on the board versus North Carolina.

I've gotta think that gives them an edge of at least 10 points. I'd say something like 35-21 Furman. Since it's always good for the Paladins to pick up that extra conference loss, I'll hope for something like 21-17 WCU.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I think Western has a chance if they get that Hank Jr. look a like to come back and sing "all my rowdy friends" before the game. That was the strangest pre-game show I've ever seen...but the cats won. Stick with it.

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Fortunately for us, this game is the fourth of the year, not the second and it is in Greenville. I think WCU is for real, but not real enough this week.

Furman 24 WCU 14.

Exactly how I feel, but I think it'll be a little closer just because thats how the ball will bounce...

Furman: 35
Western: 32

fuEMO
September 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I won't make a score prediction but I expect the D to bounce back big. Western's biggest problem is what everyone is questioning. What type of offensive game plan will Furman bring to the table. Last season you knew you were going to get alot of play action, some I, and an option or two. I think we are going to see a team balacing formations like we did from the old Satterfield offense that BL ran. I love it.

By the way if your still doubting Gray's passing ability check out the video play of the week poll on www.theuffp.com Gray throws everything from the deep ball, to the corner out pass, to a touch pass over UNC's top DB. And check out #4 RJ Webb's catch and run… glad we got that kid for the next 3 years.

OL FU
September 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I won't make a score prediction but I expect the D to bounce back big. Western's biggest problem is what everyone is questioning. What type of offensive game plan will Furman bring to the table. Last season you knew you were going to get alot of play action, some I, and an option or two. I think we are going to see a team balacing formations like we did from the old Satterfield offense that BL ran. I love it.

By the way if your still doubting Gray's passing ability check out the video play of the week poll on www.theuffp.com Gray throws everything from the deep ball, to the corner out pass, to a touch pass over UNC's top DB. And check out #4 RJ Webb's catch and run… glad we got that kid for the next 3 years.

I know Gray was hurt during the first two games and our play calling during the second may not have provided the best opportunity to show his stuff, but I was simply amazed listening and then watching highlights. I hope this is what is in store the rest of the year and we use a similar offensive strategy. If it is and we do, I AM READY TO GO TO BOONE:D :smiley_wi (I should change as I am getting ahead of myself)

goasu984Life
September 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Furman gets a lot of yards on the ground again, but Western is able to keep it close.

FU -- 31
WCU -- 21

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
There was an interesting post on theuffp.com that did an analysis of Virginia Tech's offense v. UNC the week before and Furman's this past saturday.

Furman utterly dominated UNC from an offensive standpoint running up even more yards, points, first downs, etc. than the highly touted Hokies did the week before. Not that you can compare one game to the next, but wow.

Everyone talks about the running game, but I have yet to see someone cover Justin Stepp. Even Bunting called him "an all-star."

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I want WCU to win, that should make them come out flat against GSU and will help us get into the playoffs! :)

phoenixsq
September 18th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Too much Furman run game with Gipson and Felton. The guys holding a spear and riding on horses :D will win 24-17!

The Cats
September 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Looks like the WCU guys are the only ture believers in a Catamount victory. No doubt that FU will be ready for the Cats, it will be a real battle and a great game. 3 to 7 point will decide the outcome.

WCU 28 - FU 24

catamount man
September 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
WCU wins 19-15.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Mr. C
September 19th, 2006, 12:04 AM
This is going to be a war. I think Furman has more offensive firepower, but Western Carolina will be one of the best defenses the Paladins see all year, this side of App State. If the Catamounts play defense like they did against Furman last year in Cullowhee, they have a real chance. Everybody likes to play up all of the turnovers that Furman made last year, but there were a lot of fluky things that made the game close in the second half (including some wonderful SoCon officiating). If it were not for Justin Clark starting at QB for the Catamounts, the game would have been even more of a rout (and trust me this was a rout) than it ended up. The biggest thing in Furman's favor is the fact that the game is in Greenville.

youwouldno
September 19th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I think a big difference is the Furman defense. Furman's D was reeling at the time of last year's game... they did give up a lot of points to UNC last week but Swygert isn't Sexton, WCU doesn't have a great O-line, and their receivers aren't 6'4. Fudge is good but the Paladins are tough against the run.

Plus, as Furman fans have been saying, the Paladins want this one BAD... revenge, coming off a tough loss, at home. It would be a huge, huge upset if WCU wins. That doesn't mean it won't be a good game.

flexbone
September 19th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Like most considering this game, I to think Furman just has too many advantages in this game. I think the fact they,Furman, got beat last year is just too much motivation for them to come out flat.
FU - 34
WC - 21

CatamountBK
September 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM
I think Western has a chance if they get that Hank Jr. look a like to come back and sing "all my rowdy friends" before the game. That was the strangest pre-game show I've ever seen...but the cats won. Stick with it.

lol, yeah that was pretty lame. I worked on the field crew for a while, and it got annoying hearing them play and practice the same stuff week after week while I toiled away.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
kick off

youwouldno
September 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Furman up 7-0. J-Train.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Western with a quick fumble...Felton scores his 2nd TD soon after. Furman leads 14-0 early.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Western responds to cut the Furman lead to 14-7.

Now the Paladins are driving again, at the WCU 26 early in the 2nd quarter.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Felton scores his THIRD touchdown of the game. The man knows how to find the endzone.

WCU 7
Furman 21
10:32 2Q

youwouldno
September 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Last year WCU picked Furman off 5 times. Solution? Don't throw. The J-Train and Gipson are getting great blocks and running hard.

bobbythekidd
September 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
Just dropping in to say jerome felton looks good on and paper, but better on TV.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Make that FOUR touchdowns tonight for Felton! That makes 8 TDs in the last 6 quarters of play for the J-Train.

WCU 7
Furman 28
4:40 2Q

youwouldno
September 23rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
The O-line has really come together, plus Kivett is back. Combine that with Furman's backfield...

youwouldno
September 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
5 first-half TDs for Felton.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
2nd and goal, Felton gets the handoff again...FIVE TOUCHDOWNS FOR FELTON!

Furman is destroying WCU now.

WCU 7
Furman 35
0:44 2Q

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Furman takes a 35-7 lead into the locker room at halftime!

BestOfBreed
September 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Wow. I thought Furman would win but not like this. I thought Western's defense might be good enough to at least make a game of it.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Felton scores his SIXTH TD on the opening drive of the second half. That breaks Adrian Peterson's SoCon record.

WCU 7
Furman 42
9:09 3Q

FUwolfpacker
September 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Felton's 6th TD of the game gives him 12 on the year through 4 games. yikes...

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Furman finally punts on the first play of the fourth quarter. Furman still leads 42-7 and is emptying the bench.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Zowie, makes me feel better about my rankings of FU and WCU.:nod:

bobbythekidd
September 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
I wish this slow blood letting would end. It makes me cringe to think what awaits us in Greenville. (I know sour grapes).:mad:

CatamountBK
September 23rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Furman finally punts on the first play of the fourth quarter. Furman still leads 42-7 and is emptying the bench.

really?

that's class right there.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
really?

that's class right there.

??? xidiotx

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Game over, 42-7 Furman.

ravens
September 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Game over, 42-7 Furman.

Thank God.

CatamountBK
September 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
??? xidiotx

i was saying they could have run it up or go for records or whatever.

thirdgendin
September 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
i was saying they could have run it up or go for records or whatever.

Oh, ok. :) It's sometimes hard to understand intent when you're just reading the words.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

catamount man
September 23rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Oh, ok. :) It's sometimes hard to understand intent when you're just reading the words.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Oh yes, like you give a **** whether you win or lose. Just be in nooga on 12/15/06 because you sure as hell deserve it after what I saw tonight.

Color me drunk and pissed!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ngineer
September 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM
A shocker to me. I really thought this was the year WCU was separate from the 'middle of the pack' in the SoCon and had you picked as this year's "sleeper". Was it as bad as the score, self-inflicted wounds, or both?:confused:

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
A shocker to me. I really thought this was the year WCU was separate from the 'middle of the pack' in the SoCon and had you picked as this year's "sleeper". Was it as bad as the score, self-inflicted wounds, or both?:confused:
I was at the game, 50 yard line. It was a great game for FU. :hurray: We look really good, except against the short pass. Gotta work on that.

Lamb put in the second string not too far into the 3rd. A little early for me, but hey it worked. They got some really good reps against the WCU defense and offense. I was please to see us not run up the score. It shows real class. But, I was even more pleased that WCU couldn't score on our backup defense! We have some real depth there.:nod:

Felt good after the emotional roller coaster last week.

fuEMO
September 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Most of our SoCon rival fans have disagreed but the Paladin defense of 06 is light years ahead of the 05 defense. The Furman defense is an interchangable 2 deep unit.

Bad for Western good for the rest of the SoCon I think Furman showed the way to beat the Cats. The problem is not many SoCon teams can run between the tackles this season like Furman, maybe Wofford.

Furman ran very little on the edges but did show the option but that was to set up the pass. Felton ran over the interior defense of Western then the Cats became so concerned with the run that our tightends were wide open over and over. I don't know what it is about Western but if they weren't so concerned with doing harm they would tackle better. Instead of trying to tackle the Furman runners they would jump on and hit and pull and yank as Felton would drag the pile for extra yards. I still think Western is a dangerious team don't get me wrong but they have to play smarter.

OL FU
September 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM

It was worse than the score.
Not trying to be snotty about it. But it was. WCU shot themselves in the foot early, but after they scored to make it 14-7. I thought we might see a game. But WCU never really got close again. It could have been even uglier.

I think last year had a lot to do with how the Paladins played this year.:nod:

Big game at home for Western at home next week against GSU.

FUPaladins
September 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Furman is the best team in the SoCon!

WCU LawCat
September 24th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hats off to the Furman O-line and running game.

FU97
September 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
It was interesting to look at the box score in the paper this morning. The stats in no way reflected the utter domination of our offense. I think we only had 188 yards rushing, but they never stopped our run. Our longest run was probably only about 15 yards, but it seemed like we were getting 10 yards on almost every carry. They got a little bit going with their passing game, but got nothing with their run game.

Felton had 102 yards on 20 carries and 6 TDs. He won't have the yards that many of the Peyton guys have, but he just might lead the nation in TDs. He has 12 already this year.

Appdad
September 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
It was interesting to look at the box score in the paper this morning. The stats in no way reflected the utter domination of our offense. I think we only had 188 yards rushing, but they never stopped our run. Our longest run was probably only about 15 yards, but it seemed like we were getting 10 yards on almost every carry. They got a little bit going with their passing game, but got nothing with their run game.

Felton had 102 yards on 20 carries and 6 TDs. He won't have the yards that many of the Peyton guys have, but he just might lead the nation in TDs. He has 12 already this year.

More importantly he probably will lead in needed first downs made...

DotCat
September 24th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Catamount Football...sucking until 2010.

AndrewFU21
September 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM
It's funny that our offense only ended up with 307 total yards, because the starting offense got the ball six times, and they scored six touchdowns; you cannot do better than that. The defense and special teams did an excellent job holding WCU and winning the field position battle. All in all, this might be a more complete football team than last year's squad.

WCUFLALUM
September 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
The Cats were soooo embarassing Saturday night! They didn't even show up and it didn't hurt that every DL went down with an injury.

I was so excited because the game was being shown on CSS and living in So. FL I don't get to see many games. Then I tune in and watch that horrible game.

My hat is off to Furman and Felton. Furman is for real and look like they will make a deep run into the playoffs. Hopefully they can knock off App St. They way I look at it is "Anybody BUT Appalachian State!"

I just cross my fingers for this week! Hopefully Western looks better in Cullowhee vs. Ga. So.

FU97
September 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
More importantly he probably will lead in needed first downs made...

He is a stud in short yardage situations. Then again, he's a stud in long yardage situations. We are probably one of the few teams that 3rd and 5 is a running situation.

asu70
September 25th, 2006, 06:41 PM
FU is very good but I think that I would wait a few more weeks before crowning anyone king of the Socon.

Purple Knight
September 25th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Everyone is intitled to their own version of arrogance, but frankly, I don't think it looks all that good and usually results in the eating of crow frequently.

Death Dealer
September 25th, 2006, 08:15 PM
It's funny that our offense only ended up with 307 total yards, because the starting offense got the ball six times, and they scored six touchdowns; you cannot do better than that. The defense and special teams did an excellent job holding WCU and winning the field position battle. All in all, this might be a more complete football team than last year's squad.
Can you say depth? I said it before, and I'll say it again, 'cause it just makes me feel good....WCU could not score with their best offense against our second and third string defense for one and a half quarters! :D

It may be too early to claim the conf. crown, but man I am gonna enjoy this while I can. This has the potential to be a great year of football in G'ville.:nod: :beerchug: :nod:

catamount man
September 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Catamount Football...sucking until 2010.

It didn't take you long this year did it?!:rolleyes:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

thirdgendin
September 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Everyone is intitled to their own version of arrogance, but frankly, I don't think it looks all that good and usually results in the eating of crow frequently.

I agree. And I can't believe the number of Furman fans on various boards who have become so boastful over the past two weeks. That isn't the normal m.o. for Furman fans, and it's a little disturbing.

Yes, we blew out WCU and looked really good. But we're still a few injuries/bonehead plays/bad bounces away from being 2-2 and really doubting our playoff chances with games against Wofford (always tough in Spartanburg), AT Coastal (trap game), el cid (biggest rival game-for some), UTC, ASU, Elon (much improved) and GSU still to come.

It's a long season guys. Let's act like we've followed football at least once before because if you have, you'll know that we have a LONG way to go still.

youwouldno
September 25th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I don't think Furman fans have been that bad. I know there was a lot of trepidation over the WCU game so people were excited that we handled them so easily. Even at our worst we don't hold a candle to App St fans (or GSU fans in past years).

I think it's a pretty realistic analysis that all our remaining games are winnable, with @ App St and @ Wofford being the toughest (in that order). I haven't heard one person say it's going to be easy, those games or any of the others, UTC, GSU, El Cid, even Elon and CCU.

The optimism stems from the fact that, losing Ingle and Willie, there was thinking that 2006 would be a rebuilding year. Now I think fans are excited about the prospects for a very good season.

OL FU
September 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I don't think Furman fans have been that bad. I know there was a lot of trepidation over the WCU game so people were excited that we handled them so easily. Even at our worst we don't hold a candle to App St fans (or GSU fans in past years).

I think it's a pretty realistic analysis that all our remaining games are winnable, with @ App St and @ Wofford being the toughest (in that order). I haven't heard one person say it's going to be easy, those games or any of the others, UTC, GSU, El Cid, even Elon and CCU.

The optimism stems from the fact that, losing Ingle and Willie, there was thinking that 2006 would be a rebuilding year. Now I think fans are excited about the prospects for a very good season.

Optimism is in order. I agree with the last paragraph. I do think some overly optimistic feelings maybe from breathing a collective sigh of relief. :nod:

thirdgendin
September 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I agree that optimism is in order. But have you read the App, WCU, and Wofford boards? After each of the last two games, we've had two or three Furman fans post about the greatness of our team within a few hours of the game's conclusion. It's just seemingly out of character from Furman fans.

OL FU
September 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I agree that optimism is in order. But have you read the App, WCU, and Wofford boards? After each of the last two games, we've had two or three Furman fans post about the greatness of our team within a few hours of the game's conclusion. It's just seemingly out of character from Furman fans.

No I haven't.

When I said optimism is in order, that did not include excessive boasting:D

Me I am very careful, I have eaten crow before and it taste horrible:nod:

The Cats
September 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM

For the most part, the FU fans have been the most respectful on other boards. No harm in a little boasting, just don't become like crApp or Ghantboro fans. But I don't think there is much chance of that happening to the wine and cheese guys.

eaglesrthe1
September 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Ah... there's nothing wrong with a little boasting.:D :cool: Just as long as you aren't a total _rick about it.

It's that greasy, stringy taste of crow that makes the taste of success so much sweeter.:nod:

It must be in fun, however.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I wonder how crow became the meal of choice. why not platypus?

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Platypus? Just wait until you see the bill.:eyebrow:

eaglesrthe1
September 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM

There was/is plenty to go around, and it's cheap. My dad has told me that when he was a kid, they sometimes had to eat crow, robins, or pretty much anything that flew that his pappy could bring down during the winter (lean times). Times were hard for a sharecropper.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
definitely more crow in Georgia than platapyi...

The next question is, Fish or Common? Fish Crow is my choice as it is bigger and less obnoxious.