PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings--Preseason

JALMOND
August 25th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Finally the time has come to play some football. In the Big Sky, what seemed like a lock when the season ended with Montana State having the most coming back and the rest having some questions, has now been thrown up in the air with the Bobcats losing some key pieces from their defense to injury during fall camp. As a result, many teams feel that they could contend for the title this year which should make for an exciting conference race. Clearly, the team that starts to gel early will have an edge over those that struggle. Here are the power rankings for the preseason in the Big Sky. As usual, all are my opinion only. Should be some great discussion, both now and in the weeks to come.

1. Montana State Bobcats---Even with a couple devastating injuries on the defensive side, the Bobcats still return enough to garner the favorite role going in to the start of the season. A lot of firepower on the offense should give the new defense time to recover by the end of the season. They start the season at home on Thursday against former Northeast member, Monmouth.

2. Eastern Washington Eagles---Last season's platoon system at quarterback gives the Eagles some experience at that position this season. However, they lost their awesome trio of receivers. Once they find someone to throw to, everything should come in to place. The Eagles may not have much time as they play a very daunting schedule, starting this Saturday at Pac-12 Oregon State.

3. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The Lumberjacks return their top workhorse running back, but need to find a quarterback to take over. The defense is strong coming back and the receivers are there. Once the quarterback situation is resolved, they will be ready. They start their season this Friday at Pac-12's Arizona.

4. Montana Grizzlies---The Grizzlies are anxious to show that last season's 5-6 record was just a blip on the screen. Almost everyone returns from last year and they get their quarterback back from two years ago. The most talented team on paper, it remains to be seen if it all can come together on the field. A strong task to start as they face off at home against a strong Appalachian State team on Saturday.

5. North Dakota---The former Sioux return their great, do-everything receiver and returner but will need to find someone to throw the ball rather quickly. Prospects are there, it will just be a matter of time to get it done. A fairly easy start to the season as they stay home Thursday to face Valparaiso from the Pioneer Conference.

6. Sacramento State Hornets---Success against the Pac-12 the last two years has not transferred to a post-season berth for the Hornets, but with all that is returning, there is hope this could be the year. No one really stands out, but there is potential aplenty on this team. They will start Thursday just down the road at San Jose State.

7. Cal Poly Mustangs---The Mustangs have a bunch coming back that should keep them in the talk for the title. However, they will need to replace two main cogs at quarterback and running back, two important pieces in their offensive scheme. If they find those two cogs right away, watch out. Their season begins Saturday at home against the Pioneer Conference's San Diego team.

8. Northern Colorado Bears---A strong ending at the end of last year has installed a sense of optimism towards this season for the former cellar dwellers in the Bears. They've always had good quarterback play, but now the rest of the team is catching up. They will start this season on Saturday at home against the NAIA's Langston squad.

9. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---The Thunderbirds all-world quarterback from last season has moved on to the NFL but there are potential prospect waiting for a chance. If any of them can come right in, this team could surprise as most of the receivers return. They will start their season Thursday on the road at FBS' transition team, South Alabama.

10. Portland State Vikings---Still a struggle this year for the Vikings. Youth all over the place in offensive backfield and questions galore on the defensive side of the ball. It will take a bunch to get them to the upper levels this season but this year's experience should help next season. This year begins on Thursday at home against the NAIA's Eastern Oregon.

11. Weber State Wildcats---A new season and a new team for the Wildcats. Last year was a transition between the coaching turmoil but that is behind them. Now it is just football and they are not that far away. Rebuild this season and get experience for next year. This year starts on Saturday at home against Stephen F Austin of the Southland Conference.

12. UC-Davis Aggies---A new team and even a new coach as their longtime head coach stepped down after last year. A big rebuilding project looms however in order to be competitive in the conference. It all starts this Saturday on the road against the Missouri Valley's own South Dakota team.

13. Idaho State Bengals---The Bengals no doubt have the most intense coach in the Big Sky and they need it as they attempt to clean house and rebuild this team. How long it may take still remains to be seen, even with the schedule as they wait an extra week before they play DII's Dixie State at home.

RECAP: 1-4 pretty much together followed by 5-7 just a little bit behind. 8-9 more of a step out and 10-11 further out. 12-13 off the pace.

darell1976
August 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Rankings look good I thought we would be behind Cal Poly but above Sac St. If UND can consistently knock down the big boys of the conference it won't be long til we are in the top 3-5. Questions on defense and QB, plus still being a newbie in the conference prevents that as of now, 5-7 fits us currently.

Red & Black
August 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
For what we know right now, this looks about right. I'd switch Cal Poly and Sac, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkon79
August 26th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I expect Cal Poly and Northern Colorado both to contend early. Not sold on UND at this point as a solid contender.

coover
August 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM
7. Cal Poly Mustangs---The Mustangs have a bunch coming back that should keep them in the talk for the title. However, they will need to replace two main cogs at quarterback and running back, two important pieces in their offensive scheme. If they find those two cogs right away, watch out. Their season begins Saturday at home against the Pioneer Conference's San Diego team. Cal poly will be ok at QB. Starting this Saturday is Moraga, last years backup, a junior who plays the system well. but on his heels is a redshirt freshman, Tanner Trosin, who throws the ball very, very well. And why mention the #2 guy? Because Coach Walsh has already announced that Poly will throw the ball between 20 and 25 times a game, rather than the 12 or 13 times they threw last year. I expect that by the end of the season, Trosin will be the man, not because Moraga failed at some point this year, but because Moraga simply can not match Trosin. And there won't be an problem at running back either with several outstanding candidates for the job. But the runners will have the advantage of the linebackers have to wait a bit to determine if it is pass or run!

Poly will challenge for the championship!

SactoHornetFan
August 26th, 2013, 08:46 PM
This is how I see the league:

1) MSU: McGhee is the key
2) EWU: How quickly will Eastern's new receivers develop?
3) Poly: Will Poly's new QB's and receivers be any good?
4) NAU: How will NAU's new QB fare?
5) SAC: Will SAC's inexperienced defense rise to the occasion?
6) UND: Will UND capitalize on 7 home games?
7) UM: Is Johnson that much of a difference?
8) UNC: Still developing on both sides of the ball.
9) SUU: SUU will have a tough time breaking in new offensive players.
10) PSU: Will PSU's run game develop?
11) WSU: Can WSU get over all the off-season drama?
12) ucd: How willl the farm extension fare under a coach outside the aggie family?
13) ISU: Showed some improvements last year? Will it continue?

coover
August 27th, 2013, 02:30 AM

12) ucd: How willl the farm extension fare under a coach outside the aggie family?

7th? Really? After Montana whips App State this weekend, I think the other teams will realize how good they are!

darell1976
August 27th, 2013, 04:18 AM

I would have UND ahead of Sac St, UND held Sac St to 13 points with our horrible defense plus most of our offense (which scored 35) is back.

SactoHornetFan
August 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
7th? Really? After Montana whips App State this weekend, I think the other teams will realize how good they are!

Uh, just because they have a bunch of guys returning on defense, it was a pretty porous pass defense they had last year. 5 times they gave up at least 30 points. All losses. And App State IMO is a far better squad returning than Montana.

SactoHornetFan
August 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I would have UND ahead of Sac St, UND held Sac St to 13 points with our horrible defense plus most of our offense (which scored 35) is back.

Yeah but you pretty much only have Hardin back. You have 5 offensive returning starters, two of which are on the line. Like I said, will the 7 games help the new QB, 3 other OL, and you're 2 other WR's and/or RB?

For both Coover and you and everyone else, this is all IMHO.

Grizalltheway
August 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Uh, just because they have a bunch of guys returning on defense, it was a pretty porous pass defense they had last year. 5 times they gave up at least 30 points. All losses. And App State IMO is a far better squad returning than Montana.

It was a pourous pass defense largely due to the injury bug and inexperience. Both of those factors should be mitigated this season, and we have objectively one of the top 5 front 7s in the FCS. In any event, we'll find out for sure how much it's improved against App's passing attack.

Walkon79
August 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM
It was a pourous pass defense largely due to the injury bug and inexperience. Both of those factors should be mitigated this season, and we have objectively one of the top 5 front 7s in the FCS. In any event, we'll find out for sure how much it's improved against App's passing attack.

Glad this is a night game. I can play golf in Bozeman on Friday, have a nice dinner and a leisurely breakfast on Saturday morning, and still get home in time to watch this at my favorite Bobcat bar. Good luck! This should be a doozy!

coover
August 27th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah but you pretty much only have Hardin back. You have 5 offensive returning starters, two of which are on the line. Like I said, will the 7 games help the new QB, 3 other OL, and you're 2 other WR's and/or RB?

For both Coover and you and everyone else, this is all IMHO. Our Humble Opinion is all we have. To actually know the future, we'd have to be God!