PDA

View Full Version : Last night's GSU game

SouthernEagle02
September 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
For those in the I-AA nation that didn't get to listen too or watch the GS-CCU game, we (GS) looked much better offensively than we did last week. I'm not saying that we're nat'l title caliber or that are we up to par with the other 2 top SoCon teams...yet, but I can tell the team is starting to gel on both sides of the ball. If we can build on and continue to play like we did last night, in the near future GS will certainly have to get another nat'l title flag pole for Paulson. Just my :twocents:

youwouldno
September 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Clark hasn't shown much and GSU needs to tighten up on D, a lot. But the Eagles definitely have a run game, which is a must in the SoCon.

Baldy
September 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Clark hasn't shown much and GSU needs to tighten up on D, a lot. But the Eagles definitely have a run game, which is a must in the SoCon.
Clark will be fine. He improved greatly from the first game. He made some excellent decisions by not forcing any balls and throwing it away when he needed to. On top of that, his arm strength is unbelievable and he made one of the nicest touch passes I've ever seen in Paulson stadium from any team in last night's game. You almost couldn't tell it was only his 2nd collegiate start.

Our D does need to improve, no doubt, but we're still much better now than at this time last season. We lost all four starters in the D-secondary and it's going to take some time for them to grow, learn the schemes, and gell. As for the front 7, we are pretty stout and will get better as the year progresses.

Our running game is definately our strong suit. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 1-2 punch than Covington and Lewis. Those two are going to give defenses fits all year. They will also give Clark time to grow into the QB position.

If we can continue to develop (especially defensively) over the next 2-3 games, we are going to be a team nobody will want to face later in the season.

ErkPeterson
September 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I feel %100 better after last weeks debacle. Still have some things to touch up on, we'll get there. The D is only going to improve. The kicking is atrocious.

Kill'em
September 17th, 2006, 07:20 PM
My Grades:
-Rushing: A+ Just as always:hurray:
-QB: A- Complete 180 from last week. He looked confident, made good decisions, and threw great passes.
-Receiving: B - No dropped passes but still needs work on run blocking.
-Line: B- - Better but still needs work on pass blocking.
-D-Line: B+ - Made good stops against the run and got heat on the QB but needs more consistency.
-Linebackers: B- - They made plays but missed quite a few tackles.
-Defensive Backs: C- - Still too many pass plays completed for big yardage.
-Special Teams: C - Great returns and good punting. Coverage was good but the long snapper needs to do a better job and, For God's sake, Dudley must get better!

Coaching: B+ - Great play calling, especially lining up in OUR traditional spread formation with Foster at QB. They got all the RB's involved and got the ball in Foster's hands.

Eagle_77
September 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Clark will be fine. He improved greatly from the first game. He made some excellent decisions by not forcing any balls and throwing it away when he needed to. On top of that, his arm strength is unbelievable and he made one of the nicest touch passes I've ever seen in Paulson stadium from any team in last night's game. You almost couldn't tell it was only his 2nd collegiate start.

Our D does need to improve, no doubt, but we're still much better now than at this time last season. We lost all four starters in the D-secondary and it's going to take some time for them to grow, learn the schemes, and gell. As for the front 7, we are pretty stout and will get better as the year progresses.

Our running game is definately our strong suit. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 1-2 punch than Covington and Lewis. Those two are going to give defenses fits all year. They will also give Clark time to grow into the QB position.

If we can continue to develop (especially defensively) over the next 2-3 games, we are going to be a team nobody will want to face later in the season.

I cant believe I am saying this but dont forget about Furmans duo.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Sky is stationary in Statesboro at least one more week. Congrats on the win.

AppGuy04
September 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Jayson Foster- 3 touches, 2 TD's, enough said

When are they gonna get the ball in his hands more?

Baldy
September 17th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Jayson Foster- 3 touches, 2 TD's, enough said

When are they gonna get the ball in his hands more?
Probably when his shoulder is closer to 100%. He's the #1 Kick and Punt returner, and he's only returning punts right now. The coaching staff isn't taking any chances. He ran to the locker room at the end of the 3rd quarter and I don't remember him comimg back. We'll probably see him even more involved next week.

seantaylor
September 18th, 2006, 04:27 AM
My Grades:
-Rushing: A+ Just as always:hurray:
-QB: A- Complete 180 from last week. He looked confident, made good decisions, and threw great passes.
-Receiving: B - No dropped passes but still needs work on run blocking.
-Line: B- - Better but still needs work on pass blocking.
-D-Line: B+ - Made good stops against the run and got heat on the QB but needs more consistency.
-Linebackers: B- - They made plays but missed quite a few tackles.
-Defensive Backs: C- - Still too many pass plays completed for big yardage.
-Special Teams: C - Great returns and good punting. Coverage was good but the long snapper needs to do a better job and, For God's sake, Dudley must get better!

Coaching: B+ - Great play calling, especially lining up in OUR traditional spread formation with Foster at QB. They got all the RB's involved and got the ball in Foster's hands.

Disagree with that assessment. Our oline is the best in the country. Georg e Bush could make an impact with the holes we open up.

Baldy
September 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I cant believe I am saying this but dont forget about Furmans duo.
Furman has a great duo, but that is FB and RB. We can interchange RB's without missing a step. Besides, I couldn't see Gipson playing ahead of Lewis nor Covington.

Kill'em
September 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Disagree with that assessment. Our oline is the best in the country. Georg e Bush could make an impact with the holes we open up.
We missed a lot of blocks, especially in pass protection. We need lots of improvement there but hey, this line was not originally recruited to pass protect.