PDA

View Full Version : after this week, I'm wondering...

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
will anyone stop New Hampshire? :nonono2:

Anyone on their schedule think they have a shot?

mainejeff
September 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM
will anyone stop New Hampshire? :nonono2:

Anyone on their schedule think they have a shot?

Richmond
UMass
Maine (possibly.....rivalry game/at Orono)

Those will be their 3 big roadblocks.

youwouldno
September 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Richmond is a good team. I think that's the most likely UNH loss, but honestly I think there's a good chance they just shred everyone and waltz into the playoffs as the #1 seed.

Reed Rothchild
September 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
The only ones who can stop New Hampshire is themselves.

ASU Kep
September 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
...and our secondary.

boonedocks
September 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
The only ones who can stop New Hampshire is themselves.

agreed

GaSouthern
September 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM
they just shred everyone and waltz into the playoffs as the #1 seed.
I agree

goasu984Life
September 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
They are just tearing it up. They have been impressive all season. Who knows what happens down the road with injuries and things, but it is gonna be very tough for anyone to beat them, until the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Whoa! It's still early folks!! I know UNH has had two extremely tough games with Hofstra these past two seasons, games that frankly UNH was very lucky to have won! I don't say this to rub salt in Uncle Buck's wounds, but for a couple of plays it could be Hofstra riding the playoff wave right now.

Believe me, UMass is very capable of beating UNH. Richmond hasn't been exposed at all yet. And like MJ stated, the rivalry game is in Orono. And I still think JMU and Delaware are going to be tough games!! And there's always the usual A-10 upsets.

They play all the games for a reason!

nevadagriz
September 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM
UNH has looked freaking unstoppable this year. My only question is how will they do in the playoffs? They have two great players in santos and Ball can they fianlly lead them to the promised land? They have been unable to there first two tries.

JohnStOnge
September 17th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Odds are they'll slip up somewhere along the line. Going 15-0 is awfully tough. It'll be interesting and UNH performance against Northwestern was very impressive.

But bear in mind that the only other game has been against now 0-3 Stony Brook.

Furman had what might be the most impressive performance ever for a I-AA against a BCS league opponent in 1999 when the Paladins beat North Carolina 28-3. They dominated the Tar Heels statistically to a much greater extent than the exent to which UNH dominated Northwestern this year.

But they lost two games to I-AAs during the regular season, to Elon and Georgia Southern, then were eliminated by UMass in the first round of the playoffs.

Or maybe Eastern Washington's 21-19 loss in 2000 to Oregon State...which finished 11-1 and in the I-A top five...was the most impressive even though it was a loss. The Eagles finished 6-5 and sat out the tournament.

So I'd say we'll learn more as the season goes on. Quite a revelation, huh?

TheValleyRaider
September 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Delaware's 2003 team, one of the more powerful and dominant seen in I-AA in recent years, lost later in the season to Northeastern and was nearly upset by at least UNH and at home by UMass (I'm sure the Hen faithful will remember them all more vividly ;)). Upsets happen, and the Wildcats will have their off-days. If those come against, say, Richmond or UMass (or any A-10 opponent, for that matter), they will have difficulty pulling those out :twocents:

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2006, 08:22 PM
UMASS looks solid, but I'm not sure if I am sold on Richmond yet. Yeah, they beat Duke, but beating Duke by (I think it was 7?) is not the same as beating Northwestern (a team that will probably be in a bowl game by the end of the season) by 17.

There's a reason I say this though: In 1998 we went 11-0 and were derailed in the playoffs despite being a heavy favorite to win the national championship. Of course the team used the loss as motivation for the next season, and I think many of you are familiar with what we did the next year. We broke all sorts of offensive records...we scored 41 points against Oregon State (might be the most ever scored on a IA by a IAA, not sure)...we averaged 50-someting points a game that season and won the national championship by 35 points (the second largest NC win marigin in IAA history).

I see similarities with this UNH team...losing unexpectedly in the playoffs in the previous year and having a lot of offensive talent. UNH should have no problem getting motivated for any of their games, and if they lose, it will probably be because of key injuries or because one of their opponents were better, or somehow managed to get more motivated and focused.

The first 15-0 season we saw in 1989, the second in 1996...we are past due for another one. This could be the third one.

youwouldno
September 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Furman scored 42 yesterday.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Furman scored 42 yesterday.

:o Oops...I can't belive I forgot about that...

Granite
September 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm cautious by nature, so I'm certainly not expecting to go through the season undefeated. The road game vs. Delaware will be a test, regardless of how the Hens played against UA this past weekend. Richmond at home will be an interesting game against perhaps the best team in the A-10 South, and we follow that one with another home game against a tough South team in JMU. As UNH_Alum said, we struggled with Hofstra the past two years (two years ago we had to come from behind late in the game to beat them at home). UMass is a rivalry game and could be the game that decides the North - I'm glad we are playing them in Durham, but UMass won't have any problem being motivated to play that one. And Jeff mentioned the Orono trip to end the season. There are definitely some big, big tests for the Wildcats on the schedule over the next 9 weeks.

That all said, I obviously like where we are right now. While I expect that we will be challenged over the course of the next few months, and it wouldn't surprise me to lose a game or two, I'd be really surprised if this team lost more than that. Despite the losses to graduation, the team has a solid core of experienced players on both sides of the ball. For those of us that watch the team play every week, we are much more than Santos and Ball. We have a great coaching staff, solid running game, good linebackers, and a dynamic DB in Corey Graham.

The A-10 is tough, and the I-AA playoffs are a war. One of the things I've learned over the past couple of years is that you can't really count on anything in I-AA. I really thought that last year was the year. But UNI had different plans - and they are the same plans that Delaware, Richmond, JMU, Hofstra, UMass, and UMaine have when they play us. I'm just looking forward to watching the whole thing play out - its a whole lot better in Durham today than it was when I started posting here in 2003 (and on the old e-scribe board before that!).

Mr. C
September 18th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Before we start engraving the trophy, remember that New Hampshire played Stony Brook on Saturday. Some other facts: Delaware was one of the three or four best I-AA teams I've ever seen, with one of the best I-AA defenses ever, and they didn't go through the A-10 schedule undefeated. As a matter of fact, an A-10 team hasn't gone undefeated in conference play since New Hampshire did it in 1994. That team lost in the first round of the playoffs at home to ... Appalachian State, 17-10, in the shortest overtime game in NCAA history. Boston University did it in 1993 (sad to say that BU football died after the 1997 season), Rhode Island did it in 1985, Boston U. did it in 1980, UMass in 1977 and 1978. Hasn't been done in 12 seasons and only five times in the entire history of I-AA. As good as Santos, Ball and company are, an undefeated season isn't likely to happen this year.

Granite
September 18th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Before we start engraving the trophy, remember that New Hampshire played Stony Brook on Saturday. Some other facts: Delaware was one of the three or four best I-AA teams I've ever seen, with one of the best I-AA defenses ever, and they didn't go through the A-10 schedule undefeated. As a matter of fact, an A-10 team hasn't gone undefeated in conference play since New Hampshire did it in 1994. That team lost in the first round of the playoffs at home to ... Appalachian State, 17-10, in the shortest overtime game in NCAA history. Boston University did it in 1993 (sad to say that BU football died after the 1997 season), Rhode Island did it in 1985, Boston U. did it in 1980, UMass in 1977 and 1978. Hasn't been done in 12 seasons and only five times in the entire history of I-AA. As good as Santos, Ball and company are, an undefeated season isn't likely to happen this year.

Agreed. And as you point out, even if they do run the table, the playoffs are another season altogether. I'm not sure that there are many UNH fans that expect to not lose at least once this year - of course I'd rather lose a game in the regular season and go undefeated in the playoffs! ;)

And that is the beauty of I-AA - its ultimately decided on the field, where it matters.

Granite
September 18th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Agreed. And as you point out, even if they do run the table, the playoffs are another season altogether. I'm not sure that there are many UNH fans that expect to not lose at least once this year - of course I'd rather lose a game in the regular season and go undefeated in the playoffs! ;)

And that is the beauty of I-AA - its ultimately decided on the field, where it counts.

UNHknowledge
September 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Like many have said before, it is way too early to make any 15-0 predicitons especially with the A10 schedule still to come. With that said, I also agree that UNH is the only team that can stop UNH. UNH made a lot of mistakes in that Hofstra game last year and everyone knows about the self inflicted wounds vs. UNI (a team that UNH outgained by over 250yds). The game that worries me most in this seasons schedule is the Maine game in Orono. Anything can happen in Orono at the end of the season. Sub zero weather, ice, snow, wind, can al be equalizers for a team like UNH. Hopefully we deal with it like we did Colgate and URI last year.

Spider
September 18th, 2006, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=IAA_pwns_IA]UMASS looks solid, but I'm not sure if I am sold on Richmond yet. Yeah, they beat Duke, but beating Duke by (I think it was 7?) is not the same as beating Northwestern (a team that will probably be in a bowl game by the end of the season) by 17. [QUOTE]
the Duke score was 13-0; this past weekend it was 44-0 over VMI at the half and most of the starters did not play the second half. The final was 58-7. Our defense is one of the best in the league and the new QB is showing well. Time will tell when we get into A10 play but we have a quality group. Should be interesting in Durham.....

putter
September 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I remember in 1996 both Marshall (Randy Moss and Erik Kresser) and Montana entered the championship game 14-0 so someone was guaranteed to finish undefeated. Has there been another NC game with both teams undefeated?

McNeese75
September 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
There are three months of football left before two teams reach Chatty. UNH has to fight their way through the A-10 and there is always the unthinkable possibility of injuries. If either Santos or Ball happen to go down hard it will change things.

WildcatFan
September 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Trust me when I say - the only thing the players and coaches are talking about right now is the Dartmouth game. They will not be looking ahead.

Granite
September 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Trust me when I say - the only thing the players and coaches are talking about right now is the Dartmouth game. They will not be looking ahead.

Exactly - I kind of wish this thread would go away, because there aren't any UNH fans that I know of that are really talking about this right now. Most of us agree with the sentiments expressed in these posts - we are all generally in agreement on this one (an AGS first??) :)

89Hen
September 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm a fan, so I can look past the URI game this week, but I will tell you that in two weeks, for the first time EVER, I will be going to a UD game with the thought that the Hens don't stand a chance. I've been going to games since 1972 and I've never even been close to a thought like that. And this 'aint sandbagging folks. :bawling:

Mr. C
September 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'm a fan, so I can look past the URI game this week, but I will tell you that in two weeks, for the first time EVER, I will be going to a UD game with the thought that the Hens don't stand a chance. I've been going to games since 1972 and I've never even been close to a thought like that. And this 'aint sandbagging folks. :bawling:
Was Saturday that depressing? Even in your 6-6 type years, Delaware is always is tough at the Tub.

Cap'n Cat
September 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Then belly your azz up to the bar in Crapsville, Slappy.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

UNH 40
September 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM
UNH has the same approach as the New England Patriots do. The players buy into everything that the coaches tell them, they are machine like. The leaders of this team do not allow themselves or teammates to look past any opponent. Coach Mac's favorite saying is "1-0 on saturday night"
and that is all he, his coaching staff and players live by each week. The only way they will lose is if they lose there focus. Right now they are averaging 48 points on offense and giving up 12 of D. Not to shabby

dungeonjoe
September 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Then belly your azz up to the bar in Crapsville, Slappy.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Seems a little early 89. Surely, the season isn't toast yet?

Cap'n Cat
September 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
UNH has the same approach as the New England Patriots do. The players buy into everything that the coaches tell them, they are machine like. The leaders of this team do not allow themselves or teammates to look past any opponent. Coach Mac's favorite saying is "1-0 on saturday night"
and that is all he, his coaching staff and players live by each week. The only way they will lose is if they lose there focus. Right now they are averaging 48 points on offense and giving up 12 of D. Not to shabby

Nevertheless, as last year demonstrated, the playoffs are a completely different ball game. Running into teams you don't ordinarily play can keep you at home come mid-December.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM

You'll excuse me if I'm having an extremely difficult time believing that the Hens are that bad! I'm not sure that this coming Saturday's results can change my view that UNH will be facing a very formidible opponent on 9/30 in Newark.

BTW 89, do you have a favorite New England microbrew? Let me know or just swing by Henfan's tailgate as I'm sure I'll have a least a couple in the cooler!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Nevertheless, as last year demonstrated, the playoffs are a completely different ball game. Running into teams you don't ordinarily play can keep you at home come mid-December.

Exactly! You did notice that no UNH fan started this thread nor have tried to keep it rocking. Like Granite, I too wish it would just go away. Two friggin' games does not make a season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Guys, your team can only be jinxed if one of your own fans talks about your games ahead of the current week and speculates about your future place in the playoffs. Don't you know the rules of sports karma?

In all seriousness though, I do know it's only after three games. I also know that during the IAA playoffs, horses start flying and the sun rises in the west. But I personally like UNH's chances for all the reasons I mentioned. A drive for redemption can last an entire season. Numbers are one thing, but intangibles like that can make champions.

Remember this thread if we end up seeing UNH wins a trip to chatty, even if their record isn't 14-0 going into it.:twocents: