PDA

View Full Version : Have new Clock rules altered the game too much?

HensRock
September 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM
With all of the upsets so far this season, one has to look at what is different about this year. One glaring thing is that the games are moving much faster because of the new clock rules. Do you think the new rules have significantly altered the game of college football?

Is this for better or for worse?

ISUMatt
September 17th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I HATE the new clock rules...starting the clock after a punt at the ready for play whistle is just plain dumb IMO :twocents:

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
FEWER PLAYS......MO' WASTED..TIME-OUTS........:flagged:.......BRAWK!

TexasTerror
September 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Ridiculous rules...

I can think back on quite a few I-A and I-AA games that would not have had the endings they did if these rules were in existence (SHSU vs Eastern Washington - 2003 playoffs; Texas vs Ohio St - 2006 Rose Bowl, etc)...

Saint3333
September 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Less football is never a good thing:bang:

Cocky
September 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I believe it is helping the I-AAs vs. the I-As. The depth issue isn't as big now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Ridiculous rules...

I can think back on quite a few I-A and I-AA games that would not have had the endings they did if these rules were in existence (SHSU vs Eastern Washington - 2003 playoffs; Texas vs Ohio St - 2006 Rose Bowl, etc)...

That SHSU - EWU game was 2004, not 2003.

And I don't care for the clock rule. If you want to shorten games, how about limiting the number of commercial breaks that TV can have? How about they fit their commercials into the spots between quarters, possessions, and in timeouts like radio does?

ISUMatt
September 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM
That SHSU - EWU game was 2004, not 2003.

And I don't care for the clock rule. If you want to shorten games, how about limiting the number of commercial breaks that TV can have? How about they fit their commercials into the spots between quarters, possessions, and in timeouts like radio does?

That is exactly what the CFL does, no commercials unless a TO is called or the quarter is over

nmatsen
September 17th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I hate to make excuses about losing to a D-II school but if there was 2 minutes left on the clock at the end of the game when we played against North Dakota we win that game no question. It was just one of those days, whomever had the ball last with a couple of minutes was going to win, but who knows maybe there would have been even more time that day and North Dakota comes to score again and we still lose.

Tribe4SF
September 17th, 2006, 10:52 AM
The impact of the new rules is obvious throughout the game. When the reasons for rule changes have nothing to do with the game itself, they are unnecessary. I hope the changes are thrown out this Winter.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
it is kind of messed up that the advertising determines when and how the game of football is played. as far as the games being too quick and wasting timeout maybe since they changed the clock this season, they will implement the 2 minute rule like the pros??

swaghook
September 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
The teams both have to play with the same time. The new rule shouldn't change the outcome. But as a fan of the game less time sucks.:(

dbackjon
September 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Hate the rules - 20 less plays a game is never a good thing.

GeauxLions94
September 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Don't know if there's a correlation with the upsets, but in our pass-happy offense, we were done in less than three hours last night :nod:

JMUfan2008
September 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
I love football, I love to watch football, I enjoy yelling till my voice is gone...as someone before said, less football is never a good thing. Like when I rode in a cramped bus for 5.5 hours to App State to see a game that was like half hour shorter than it would have been last year....very disappointing....bad change, very bad change

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
With the new rules, I find myself drinking, on average, two less beers per game for an average of only 18.

:( :( :( :( :(

http://www.kevhead.com/images16/0813%20passed%20out%20ass.jpg

:nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx

Pard4Life
September 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
I abhor the new rules... frickin' awful... the only positive rule regarding the clock is starting it when the kicker boots the ball on KOs. There is action going on... so why not run the clock?

I have already seent the dumb rule harm Leopard drives at the end of halves.

bison95
September 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Watch the good coaches take no second half time outs. If you don't have all 3 in the final 2 minutes your ****ed. Less football = stupid rule

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2006, 10:37 AM
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb rule, especially the clock starting on the change of possession. I'm sure no one's riled up about the clock starting on the kick, but the change of possession is just horrible. Anything that results in less time getting to enjoy football, and results in at least 20 less plays per game, is just a horrible rule. Even more horrible when you consider it was done for the benefit of 3-4 games played on network TV on Saturday and for the sole purpose of being able to add more advertising time. Changing the rules for hundreds of games to benefit the financial bottomline of 3-4 games is just sheer lunacy.

Cap'n Cat
September 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
You'd think the broadcaster would want to fill up time with advertising. Money makes its way to NCAA..............

:confused:

bison95
September 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
With the new rules, I find myself drinking, on average, two less beers per game for an average of only 18.

:( :( :( :( :(

http://www.kevhead.com/images16/0813%20passed%20out%20ass.jpg

:nod: :nod: xlolx xlolx

Nice ass, and just have a few extra at the post game tailgate.

bison95
September 22nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7069024659985587142&hl=en

Cap,n after the overtime win at Texas Statexlolx

ngineer
September 22nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
I hate the new rules. Games over in a little over 2:30. I love college football. I could watch it for 4 hours. Has also taken away the ability for a team trailing late in the fourth to get back into contention, which is always one of the charms of college football where you can have some fast and furious comebacks. Now I'm seeing a 'four corners' type of offense for the winning team sitting on the lead knowing they're going to be running a lot more time off the clock.

rcny46
September 23rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
I hate the new rules. Games over in a little over 2:30. I love college football. I could watch it for 4 hours. Has also taken away the ability for a team trailing late in the fourth to get back into contention, which is always one of the charms of college football where you can have some fast and furious comebacks. Now I'm seeing a 'four corners' type of offense for the winning team sitting on the lead knowing they're going to be running a lot more time off the clock.

My thoughts exactly.

Mr. C
September 23rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Less football is never a good thing:bang:
That's what Mickey Matthews said about it when he was in Boone with JMU. I think that articulates things about as simply as necessary.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Gordon Shumway
September 23rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
The NCAA must think we are idiots. They actually had the gall to proclaim this was done for the fans, because games were getting too long.xidiotx

It was done, pure and simple, to make the TV games fit their time slots, while not sacrificing any commercial time.

Answer me this: If they were so interested in shortening games for the fans, why did they institute all those infuriating instant replays?:rolleyes:

The conspiracy theorist in me believes that the rule changes were also put in to help cover replay time.

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
It stinks, about 20 fewer plays per game and totally changes the way you have to use timeouts. Seems like the sports radio shows say that coaches don't like it and this will be the only year it's in.