Saturday, August 31

COLGATE @ Air Force

GEORGETOWN @ Wagner

HOLY CROSS @ Bryant

BYE: Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh

carney2
August 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Getting my part of this out of the way:

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM – The Rams can outscore (almost) anyone.

COLGATE @ Air Force – Nolo contendere.

GEORGETOWN @ Wagner – The Seahawks beat Colgate in last year’s playoffs and are going back to back with Syracuse and Delaware this year. It would appear that they take football more seriously than do the Hoyas. I am ignoring last year’s week 2 Georgetown victory at MSF.

HOLY CROSS @ Bryant – Patriot League wannabe contenders cannot lose games like this and maintain credibility.

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
The Seahawks beat Colgate in last year’s playoffs and are going back to back with Syracuse and Delaware this year. It would appear that they take football more seriously than do the Hoyas. I am ignoring last year’s week 2 Georgetown victory at MSF.

A weak argument and you know it. Football is taken as seriously at Georgetown as at Wagner. It's the budget and maintaining the original PL philosophy (apparently now discarded and/or discredited) which is at odds with the upwardly mobile out there.

That having been said, the picks:

Fordham 35, URI 21
Air Force 42, Colgate 10
Wagner 24, Georgetown 20
Holy Cross 23, Bryant 13

The Maestro
August 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
Rhody

Air Force

Wagner

Holy Cross

crusader11
August 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Rhode Island @ Fordham – I think Fordham would win the PL this year...if they were eligible.

COLGATE @ Air Force – Two teams that have similar offenses, but Air Force is just better at it.

Georgetown @ Wagner – Wagner is at the top of the NEC, and Georgetown is just "meh."

Holy Cross @ Bryant – Carney's always had it out for my 'Saders! But, HC starts the year on a high note beating Bryant.

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
I think Holy Cross is underrated entering this year. So many of those 2012 losses were by one missed play here or there.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks Carney

Rams win easy,le in rout FU 42-20
AFA over Gate 49-27
Wagner edges Hoyas 20-17
Cross over Bryant 35-14
No argument on Cross DFW lots of injuries and close losses.

colorless raider
August 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Fordham

Air Force

Wagner

The Cross

CFBfan
August 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Fordham wins big
Gate can't run with AirForce
Hoyas take 3rd straight from Wagner
Crusaders open with a disapointing loss on the road

Bill
August 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Fordham, 41-25

AF, 34-3

Wagner, 27-10

HC, 24-12

van
August 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
FORDHAM, I believe they are for real this year

Air Force too much for Gate, but I expect close game

GEORGETOWN, going against the grain on this one, Wagner lost a lot from last years team

HOLY CROSS, can they learn to win close and not lose close?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Fordham 35 URI 20 : FU too good
Air Force 52 Colgate 21: Never close...
Wagner 24 Georgetown 21: Hoyas could send a message with a win
Holy Cross 31 Bryant 27: dangerous game for HC

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
People had better hope for something better than a 3-TD blowout loss by Colgate to Air Force, because the entire SOS of the Patriot League depends on it.

Go Green
August 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
I think Holy Cross is underrated entering this year. So many of those 2012 losses were by one missed play here or there.

They were picked third in the PL preseason poll.

Do you think they will do better than that?

carney2
August 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Carney's always had it out for my 'Saders!

Not so. Just thought that a lot of people (especially some of the ChickenSquawk persuasion) were overrating them last year at this time. They came into Fisher in October and proved me right by laying one huge egg. Am buying the close losses and that people say the ugly loss to Lafayette was an aberration, but 2-9 is a heluva hole to climb out of. Are they 3rd best in the League this year? Why not. Actually, I think it's a 4 way jumble of some fairly average teams, and they're in it. Could end up 1st.

carney2
August 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
People had better hope for something better than a 3-TD blowout loss by Colgate to Air Force, because the entire SOS of the Patriot League depends on it.

Did you go to graduate school at Holy Cross? Lordie, but I hate talking in shorthand.

SOS = Save Our Ship

SOS = Whateverthehell you're talking about.

Gater
August 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Colgate also plays Albany, Stony Brook and UNH. Lots of chances to help or hurt league strength.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Colgate also plays Albany, Stony Brook and UNH. Lots of chances to help or hurt league strength.

Those won't help, unless it's a clean sweep. Only the Air Force one could, or Fordham upsetting Temple.

CFBfan
August 22nd, 2013, 03:18 PM

I completely disagree with that. And it's very sad if an entire league clings to ONE game a year to determine the strength of schedule for the entire league for the entire season "c'mom man"!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
I completely disagree with that. And it's very sad if an entire league clings to ONE game a year to determine the strength of schedule for the entire league for the entire season "c'mom man"!

Not that it should be like that; it just is like that.

If Colgate beats Air Force and Air Force goes 2-10, Colgate would be in proximity of those two wins against, say, Army and Wyoming, and any Patriot League win against Colgate would get "schedule strength" through that.

If Colgate and Lehigh beat UNH and UNH goes 2-10, beating, say, URI and Maine, there is no benefit, and actually a loss in SOS.

This is the new reality, guys.

Fordham
August 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
I will break out my annual "no one ever went broke betting on a PL team to lose in week 1" comment. I will also vote for a full PL sweep in week 1, which is the second half of the tradition.

It's still the off season, fellas, we're all undefeated and anything can happen.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
I will break out my annual "no one ever went broke betting on a PL team to lose in week 1" comment. I will also vote for a full PL sweep in week 1, which is the second half of the tradition.

It's still the off season, fellas, we're all undefeated and anything can happen.

LMAO... and the fun begins

Sader87
August 22nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Not that it should be like that; it just is like that.

If Colgate beats Air Force and Air Force goes 2-10, Colgate would be in proximity of those two wins against, say, Army and Wyoming, and any Patriot League win against Colgate would get "schedule strength" through that.

If Colgate and Lehigh beat UNH and UNH goes 2-10, beating, say, URI and Maine, there is no benefit, and actually a loss in SOS.

This is the new reality, guys.

Jesus, how long are we going to have to live with Lehigh being spurned from the playoffs last year??? Let it go.... (this coming from someone who still rues the day we didn't join the Big East xrotatehx lol)

Just win the damn league or schedule up....

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Just win the damn league or schedule up

It is not a Lehigh issue only, and it is not a simple matter of divining who the CAA champions will be, scheduling them, and beating them.

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Fordham 30, URI 27

Air Force 49, Colgate 14

Wagner 31, Georgetown 24

Holy Cross 34, Bryant 12

Gater
August 22nd, 2013, 04:19 PM
LFN, Colgate lost to South Dakota last year and beat Lehigh. Lehigh (with a weak schedule) was hurt by this. The league didn't have a single quality win last year (the best might have been Georgetown over Wagner). It was a perfect storm for The Patriot League being a one bid league. If Colgate goes 2-2 against Air Force, UNH, Albany and Stony Brook that will most likely be two more quality wins than the entire league had last year. If Colgate goes 0-4 and wins the league and Lehigh looses to UNH and Colgate you guys might be in trouble--and maybe rightfully so if Colgate wins the league at 8-4 or 7-5 and Lehigh's schedule is what it is. That being said, the Patriot League plays Temple, Bill and Mary, UNH twice, Stony Brook, Albany, URI, Towson, Villanova and Air Force. If the league wins two of these games it will already be doing better than last year. Four wins and The Patriot (provided it doesn't get crushed by the NEC and the Ivy) will be seen as a stronger league than it has been in years.

Kramer
August 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Fordham

Air Force

Wagner

Holy Cross

CFBfan
August 22nd, 2013, 05:00 PM
LFN, Colgate lost to South Dakota last year and beat Lehigh. Lehigh (with a weak schedule) was hurt by this. The league didn't have a single quality win last year (the best might have been Georgetown over Wagner). It was a perfect storm for The Patriot League being a one bid league. If Colgate goes 2-2 against Air Force, UNH, Albany and Stony Brook that will most likely be two more quality wins than the entire league had last year. If Colgate goes 0-4 and wins the league and Lehigh looses to UNH and Colgate you guys might be in trouble--and maybe rightfully so if Colgate wins the league at 8-4 or 7-5 and Lehigh's schedule is what it is. That being said, the Patriot League plays Temple, Bill and Mary, UNH twice, Stony Brook, Albany, URI, Towson, Villanova and Air Force. If the league wins two of these games it will already be doing better than last year. Four wins and The Patriot (provided it doesn't get crushed by the NEC and the Ivy) will be seen as a stronger league than it has been in years.

well said Gater

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
LFN, Colgate lost to South Dakota last year and beat Lehigh. Lehigh (with a weak schedule) was hurt by this. The league didn't have a single quality win last year (the best might have been Georgetown over Wagner). It was a perfect storm for The Patriot League being a one bid league.

I do not buy this for an instant.

Let's put this another way.

If Colgate beats Air Force and Air Force goes 2-10, none of Air Force's losses hurt Colgate in any way. Losses to Wyoming and Navy, no matter how pathetic they are in reality, will not hurt Colgate, nor the rest of the league.

If Colgate and Lehigh beat UNH and UNH goes 2-10, all of UNH's losses hurt both teams because they are retroactively seen as a cupcake. Schedules that were preseason "strong" or at least "decent" are now retroactively perceived as "weak".

Lehigh scheduled Liberty last season coming off a 7-4 season and two seasons removed from a Big South co-championship.

Colgate scheduled South Dakota coming off of a 6-5 season with a win over the 2010 defending champs, Eastern Washington.

When the schedules were made, it was a "strong" schedule, but the 2012 season happened, and retroactively everything was redefined - as it will be with the 2013 season. Teams like Princeton, whom almost everybody thought sucked, actually were pretty good. Teams like CCSU, which folks thought might be decent, weren't.

PL schedules are filled with variables that can move the "schedule strength" needle up, or down. Other conferences' teams, though, have found a way to lose the variability. Have lots of FBS games where the the "schedule strength" needle gets moved up either not at all, or a huge amount. There is no potential downside.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
OK,enuf now boys. We are picking for this yr not revisiting LU angst over last yr.

CFBfan
August 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
start another thread LFN this one is for week 1 picks!!! that other stuff was good fill over the off season / summer but now it's time for football!!

Pard4Life
August 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
OK,enuf now boys. We are picking for this yr not revisiting LU angst over last yr.

Seriously... I love to tread on Lehigh and even I'm tired of bringing it up... new year...

Pard4Life
August 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
Can't make week one picks yet... still feels like summer... and 5am when I don't have to be up until 6... maybe because Lafayette starts in two weeks.

Sader87
August 22nd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Can't make week one picks yet... still feels like summer... and 5am when I don't have to be up until 6... maybe because Lafayette starts in two weeks.

Feel the same way P4L.....making the picks for week 1 is in many ways "ending my summah"....I'll wait until at least early/mid-week of next week to do so.

ngineer
August 22nd, 2013, 11:12 PM
Fordham shows it's Forreal, 37-21
'Gate, as usual, is slow out of the gate. Air Force, 38-13
Seahawks 'wag' the Hoyas' tail, 31-20
Crusaders better win. Can't start with a loss to Anita (many will not know of whom I speak). Cross is borne, 31-17.

Ivytalk
August 23rd, 2013, 06:18 AM
Fordham

Air Force

Wagner

Holy Cross

Exactly!

bonarae
August 24th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Finally gotten over you guys. I'll be doing pick'ems for every conference for the first time this year.

Thursday, August 29

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM

Saturday, August 31

COLGATE @ Air Force - close until the 2nd half

GEORGETOWN @ Wagner

HOLY CROSS @ Bryant

Engineer86
August 25th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Fordham
Air Force
Wagner
Cross

Skyhawk71
August 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Rhode Island @ Fordham
Colgate @ Air Force
Georgetown @ Wagner
Holy Cross@ Bryant

ColgateTD
August 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Fordham Rams 31, URI Rams 28
Air Force 38, Colgate 17 (altitude sickness prevails)
Wagner 28, G'town 14
Saders 17, Bryant 13

WestCoastAggie
August 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rhode Island @ FORDHAM
COLGATE @ Air Force
GEORGETOWN @ Wagner
HOLY CROSS @ Bryant

Engineer86
August 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I do not buy this for an instant.

Let's put this another way.

If Colgate beats Air Force and Air Force goes 2-10, none of Air Force's losses hurt Colgate in any way. Losses to Wyoming and Navy, no matter how pathetic they are in reality, will not hurt Colgate, nor the rest of the league.

If Colgate and Lehigh beat UNH and UNH goes 2-10, all of UNH's losses hurt both teams because they are retroactively seen as a cupcake. Schedules that were preseason "strong" or at least "decent" are now retroactively perceived as "weak".

Lehigh scheduled Liberty last season coming off a 7-4 season and two seasons removed from a Big South co-championship.

Colgate scheduled South Dakota coming off of a 6-5 season with a win over the 2010 defending champs, Eastern Washington.

When the schedules were made, it was a "strong" schedule, but the 2012 season happened, and retroactively everything was redefined - as it will be with the 2013 season. Teams like Princeton, whom almost everybody thought sucked, actually were pretty good. Teams like CCSU, which folks thought might be decent, weren't.

PL schedules are filled with variables that can move the "schedule strength" needle up, or down. Other conferences' teams, though, have found a way to lose the variability. Have lots of FBS games where the the "schedule strength" needle gets moved up either not at all, or a huge amount. There is no potential downside.

We beat no one last year and almost all of our wins were close games. Our SOS was bet on an inconsistent Liberty program. Very simple, if we continue to schedule the way we do and go 9-2, winning like we did last year, losing to good OOC team and League champ, we will and should be watching. It is not rocket science, if we want to be in the playoffs, WE have to demonstrate we deserve it. Either beating good teams or thumping bad teams, not squeaking out wins against a weak schedule.

Go LU!

carney2
August 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
We beat no one last year and almost all of our wins were close games. Our SOS was bet on an inconsistent Liberty program. Very simple, if we continue to schedule the way we do and go 9-2, winning like we did last year, losing to good OOC team and League champ, we will and should be watching. It is not rocket science, if we want to be in the playoffs, WE have to demonstrate we deserve it. Either beating good teams or thumping bad teams, not squeaking out wins against a weak schedule.Go LU!

Usually it's up to the the coaches and players but, to some rare extent, Squawk football has become dependent on what goes on behind Joe Sterrett's closed door. All would be better served by a little more transparency.

carney2
August 25th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I'll be doing pick'ems for every conference for the first time this year.

Does this mean that I can (gratefully) bow out?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 25th, 2013, 12:05 PM
We beat no one last year and almost all of our wins were close games. Our SOS was bet on an inconsistent Liberty program. Very simple, if we continue to schedule the way we do and go 9-2, winning like we did last year, losing to good OOC team and League champ, we will and should be watching. It is not rocket science, if we want to be in the playoffs, WE have to demonstrate we deserve it. Either beating good teams or thumping bad teams, not squeaking out wins against a weak schedule.

Go LU!

If you honestly feel this way, you really don't get it. God, this Stockholm syndrome from PL fans is really annoying.

van
August 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
If you honestly feel this way, you really don't get it. God, this Stockholm syndrome from PL fans is really annoying.

Agree with 86, "have to demonstrate that we deserve it." Challenge is to demonstrate to the committee that we are a better team than one of the other at-large selections. With few games outside of league and Ivy, it is a challenge to demonstrate worthiness. Many of us believe that the Ivys are strong competition, however there is limited evidence of that for the committee given the usual Ivy schedules. Expanded play off field this year should give the committee more opportunity to select the PL #2 even if SOS is still viewed as weak.

RichH2
August 25th, 2013, 12:40 PM
While somewhat over the top,86's main point is well taken. It is up to us to earn playoffs, not the ncaa to pick us. Untill the perception of PL by committee changes, PL OOC games are major factor in selection. Agree IL stronger than many think but very little to compare them with on natl FCS scene. Rather than rehashing this repeatedly,lets schedule as best we can and concentrate on beating the teams we play.

Engineer86
August 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM

How quickly you forget that those wins last year came against pretty poor teams and they were all close. I agree that you can't predict what teams will be like when you set the schedule, but if they do turn out to be weaker that expected, then we better beat them by. More than expected. Not squeak by in every game. One or two, and I might buy a bad weak, but last year it was every game and we did not prove ourselves worthy. And if we do what I said in the section you bolder, we still would not prove worthy.

jayhawkdaddy
August 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Fordham
Air Force
Wagner
Holy Cross

Bogus Megapardus
August 25th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Does this mean that I can (gratefully) bow out?

No, it does not.

Go...gate
August 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Thank goodness the season is here. Let the games begin!

P.S. that damned schedule strength issue would probably lessen if we could somehow get W & M or Villanova to join the conference for football.

Sader87
August 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
OK, I'm officially bored, time to finally do this:

Fordham 32 Rhody 27 Closer than people expect, but Rams get W in da Bronx.

GTown 20 @Wagner 13 Seahawks coming back to Earth this year.

Air Force 38 Colgate 20 Red Raiders hang tough but altitude and FBS athleticism wears them down.

Holy Cross 33 @Bryant 17 Saders O too much for a gutty Bulldog bunch.

PAllen
August 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Getting my part of this out of the way:

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM – The Rams can outscore (almost) anyone.

COLGATE @ Air Force – Nolo contendere.

GEORGETOWN @ Wagner – The Seahawks beat Colgate in last year’s playoffs and are going back to back with Syracuse and Delaware this year. It would appear that they take football more seriously than do the Hoyas. I am ignoring last year’s week 2 Georgetown victory at MSF.

HOLY CROSS @ Bryant – Patriot League wannabe contenders cannot lose games like this and maintain credibility.

+1

PAllen
August 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Thank goodness the season is here. Let the games begin!

P.S. that damned schedule strength issue would probably lessen if we could somehow get W & M or Villanova to join the conference for football.

Nah, then they'd just be a couple of weak Patriot League teams like the rest of us. :D

Pard4Life
August 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Yikes we start on the morrow!

Rams 34, Rams 17. Can't lose!

Ok, Bronx Rams.

Air Force 49, Colgate 10

Wagner 28, Gtown 7

Holy Cross 21, Bryant 17

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Holy cow it is (almost) September already. We are ready for some football :)

Thursday, August 29
Rhode Island at Fordham Fordham One last season of Patriot League purgatory for the Rams. They look talented, and the new coaching staff looks to have them moving in the right direction. Of course, the previous coaching staff gave them a League title in Year 2, so why not these guys? We shall see how it plays out, both in the long and short term, but there's nothing like starting the season off right. If this team is a (theoretical) PL contender, then they ought to take care of business (close road loss in 2011) against their CAA Ram counterparts.

Saturday, August 31
Colgate at Air Force Colgate You expected different? The defending League champs open up a difficult schedule with the toughest of them all, leaving only 1 service academy to check off our historic list (coming for you, Coast Guard). I'm optimistic about the talent level on this team, though it may only appear in the record during League play. Be that as it may, the offense will still be able to move the ball, and while the defense will improve slightly (they can't get much worse), they also have had several months to prepare for the AF triple-option. Whatever happens, prepare for a quick game (lots of running) with lots of scoring. Into the wild blue yonder...

Georgetown at Wagner Wagner This is a vote of confidence for Wagner after the tough loss they gave the 'Gate in last year's postseason. I hesitated, though, due to Wagner losing a bunch of vets from last year's team (especially the defense), and the Hoyas returning a bunch of seniors. Experience helps tremendously at this level. How does Wagner follow up last year's great run? How does Georgetown adjust to being the only non-scholarship program in the League? Questions abound in this intriguing game.

Holy Cross at Bryant Holy Cross Speaking of intrigue, what oh what do we do with the College of the Holy Cross? Injuries played a big role in what happened last year, and there were a number of close calls, but 2-9 is pretty bad however you slice it. Rumblings on the board don't really buy the Cross as one of the League's more talented teams, especially given that in spite of Gilmore's strong showing, they have one season that topped 7 wins. I nearly picked Bryant, but their recent teams haven't been much more special. I'll go homer for the League on this one, but I'm still not sure what I think about Worcester bunch yet.

Bogus Megapardus
August 28th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Rhode Island @ Fordham - Fordham has been gearing up to scholarship play while URI started gearing down to the NEC (before it "evolved"). What Fordham lacks in "finesse" is more than overcome by its sheer physicality these days. I think the maroon Rams, playing at home, have the advantage over the powder blue Rams. Fordham 34-24

Colgate @ Air Force - I'd like to pick this one in favor of my brethren Hamilton Hash House Harriers - I really would. I just don't think that the Bick Diddlers have the defensive wherewithal to go sixty minutes at six thousand feet. Prove me wrong, fellas! Air Force 42-28

Georgetown @ Wagner - The Hoyas have made a habit out of winning early season games of late. They're facing a solid, much improved Seahawk squad emboldened with scholarships. But I still like Georgetown's chances even though they'll be starting eleven quarterbacks on both sides of the ball. Georgetown 21-13

Holy Cross @ Bryant - This is mostly a PL homer pick for me. I just don't know enough about the Bryant Bulldogs to make an informed pick. I do know the Crusaders, though. That purple scares the bejeezus out of most canine mascot species. Holy Cross 30-21

Leopard Loyalist
August 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I will go with what seem to be the consensus picks:

Rhode Island @ Fordham
Colgate @ Air Force
Georgetown @ Wagner
Holy Cross@ Bryant

Fordham
August 29th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Yikes we start on the morrow!

Rams 34, Rams 17. Can't lose!
... Nice hex!!

Bill
August 29th, 2013, 09:32 AM
It's a good thing games can't end in a tie anymore :)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Rhode Island @ Fordham: It won't quite be as bad as Lock Haven last season, but Fordham will whoop up on the worst team in the CAA, a game that, despite the fact it will technically will "count" as a "win over a major FCS conference", won't help the PL come playoff time. Fordham 34, Rhode Island 6

Colgate @ Air Force: Like I said, this is the most important game of the year in regards to PL "schedule strength". A close loss - or, God Forbid, a win - would be the sort of game-changing win for the whole conference that would make the wider FCS world take notice. I want Colgate to win. I'll be their biggest backer on Saturday. I'll be hoping that it's a close game. Unfortunately, I don't believe that will happen. Air Force 44, Colgate 13

Georgetown @ Wagner: Ignore the Hoyas at your peril. Georgetown 17, Wagner 12

Holy Cross@ Bryant: The QB muddle at Holy Cross goes up against the proven QB in Rhode Island. On the road. This suggests a logical pick. Bryant 27, Holy Cross 20

Sader87
August 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Rhode Island @ Fordham: It won't quite be as bad as Lock Haven last season, but Fordham will whoop up on the worst team in the CAA, a game that, despite the fact it will technically will "count" as a "win
Holy Cross@ Bryant: The QB muddle at Holy Cross goes up against the proven QB in Rhode Island. On the road. This suggests a logical pick. Bryant 27, Holy Cross 20

What you see as a "muddle", others see as depth....Elder beat out a very capable Laughlin but both are good, proven PL QB's.

As for the "road"...while technically right, we're talking about a half-hour bus ride, closest road game in the history of HC football.

Southsider
August 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
What you see as a "muddle", others see as depth....Elder beat out a very capable Laughlin but both are good, proven PL QB's.

As for the "road"...while technically right, we're talking about a half-hour bus ride, closest road game in the history of HC football.

I hope your team allows a little more time. They might miss kick-offxlolx

UAalum72
August 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I hope your team allows a little more time. They might miss kick-offxlolx
Actually Google Maps says it's 30 miles, 35 minutes from Fitton to Bulldog Stadium.

Bogus Megapardus
August 29th, 2013, 11:14 AM
There's never much traffic on the Worcester-Providence Turnpike. It will be a quick and easy ride.

LUHawker
August 29th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Rhode Island @ Fordham: It won't quite be as bad as Lock Haven last season, but Fordham will whoop up on the worst team in the CAA, a game that, despite the fact it will technically will "count" as a "win over a major FCS conference", won't help the PL come playoff time. Fordham 34, Rhode Island 6

Colgate @ Air Force: Like I said, this is the most important game of the year in regards to PL "schedule strength". A close loss - or, God Forbid, a win - would be the sort of game-changing win for the whole conference that would make the wider FCS world take notice. I want Colgate to win. I'll be their biggest backer on Saturday. I'll be hoping that it's a close game. Unfortunately, I don't believe that will happen. Air Force 44, Colgate 13

LFN-

You've been touting G'town for 3 years running now and I just don't get it. Two years ago they placed 2nd in the PL, but were not really a threat for the title. Last year they were up and down. I'm just not seeing it. You may be right about the Wagner game, but overall, I don't know why you continue to peddle not looking past G'town. They lost their top D player and as Bogie said, they put 11 QBs on offense. High-water mark for G'Town football in the PL may have been 2011.

PAllen
August 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM

This

carney2
August 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM

Lordy, LFN, this strength of schedule thing (I finally figured out SOS, but why didn't you just say it?!) is like a bee in your boxer shorts. Your Squawks did not make the playoffs last year despite going 10-1 because they feasted on cupcakes. Their fault. They did it to themselves. No one else's schedule had much, if any bearing on the fact that they just didn't play anyone!!! Suck in some air and get on with life.

As for this year, the Patriot League might be a zero bid league if common sense, rather than autobid guarantees, were being used.

As for the rest of your commentary:

Taking your Georgetown comment to heart and will be watching. Will they be making their last gasp before scholarship disparities bury them?

Holy Cross can't lose to Bryant. I mean they just can't. Nothing would make sense anymore. If it happens, don't tell me.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Lordy, LFN, this strength of schedule thing (I finally figured out SOS, but why didn't you just say it?!) is like a bee in your boxer shorts. Your Squawks did not make the playoffs last year despite going 10-1 because they feasted on cupcakes. Their fault. They did it to themselves. No one else's schedule had much, if any bearing on the fact that they just didn't play anyone!!! Suck in some air and get on with life.

As for this year, the Patriot League might be a zero bid league if common sense, rather than autobid guarantees, were being used.

As for the rest of your commentary:

Taking your Georgetown comment to heart and will be watching. Will they be making their last gasp before scholarship disparities bury them?

Holy Cross can't lose to Bryant. I mean they just can't. Nothing would make sense anymore. If it happens, don't tell me.

The SOS thing, which I'll refrain from going into in detail here to the relief of any warm-blooded human reading this post, is real. What I will say is that it's real, and it's not a one school thing. It has to do with conference-wide scheduling and the flawed way teams are sized up using the different formulae.

The best way to demonstrate that it's real would (hopefully) involve a Colgate win on Saturday. If it happens, the PL will suddenly vault up the "schedule strength" charts. Even a close loss would probably help.

Re: Georgetown: It's worth remembering they were 5-6, with wins over Princeton and Wagner, before the waterboys were warming up to be the 3rd string QB on gamedays for them. It's reasonable to wonder how much better they would do with a healthy QB. And Kevin Kelly - not known to be a big talker by any means - is making very positive noises down in DC about his team this year. Personally, I believe it.

Re: Holy Cross: Everyone thinks this game is a hard one to handicap. Given that, is the Cross news that last year's backup has unseated last year's starter a positive development, or not? I don't think it is. Maybe down the line, but certainly not for Game 1, IMO.

crusader11
August 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Given that, is the Cross news that last year's backup has unseated last year's starter a positive development, or not? I don't think it is. Maybe down the line, but certainly not for Game 1, IMO.

Elder received more reps last year and started more games.

Bogus Megapardus
August 29th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Tonight's Rhode Island @ Fordham game will be the first football broadcast on the all-new PL network.

Go here at game time:

http://www.campusinsiders.com/network/patriot_league/live

(http://www.campusinsiders.com/network/patriot_league/live)The Sportsbook is Fordham (-9 1/2)

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I don't bet, but take Fordham.

CrusaderBob
August 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Fordham
Air Force
Georgetown
Holy Cross

carney2
August 30th, 2013, 11:46 AM
So, what's your read on Fordham? I saw most of the 3rd and a little of the 4th qtrs. and don't know if I should be impressed or not. 51-26 over a URI team from whom not much is expected. URI won most of the stats, but Fordham had three big play scores in just the time I was watching. You don't pile up a lot of stats when you score quickly, so I'm discarding at least some of that.

Most expect the (Bronx) Rams to be good O, not so good D. Did we see that last night or was it just a case of scoring easily on a bad team and giving up too many points to same?

My quick and dirty read tells me that the only thing that the Rams have going for them against 'nova is their one game of experience.

Interested in opinions from knowledgeable observers.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Fordham has given up 30 or more points in each of its last two games against Georgetown. That alone ought to be cause for concern on the defensive end.

Villanova's defense figures to be good enough to slow them down and the Cats' offense should be able to move swiftly on Fordham. Maybe a 38-24 finish.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I pretty much agree with the general impression. The Ram O, it would seem, can score on anybody - they have tons of weapons, and I really liked what I saw from their UConn transfer QB - but just like last year there's cause for concern on defense. Last year the Rams got in a lot of shootouts, and if URI can get into a shootout with them, you've got to think Villanova will pile a lot of points on them too.

I could see 38-24 or a 45-31 sort of game, with Nova on the winning end.

RichH2
August 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Rams O explosive. Not real consistent,tho perhaps just 1st game. D clearly athletic but seemingly clueless. Good running team will keep their O off the field and Ram D not very capable of stopping run game. Hard game tho to get a clear picture of FU as URI is really bad.

van
August 30th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Rams O explosive. Not real consistent,tho perhaps just 1st game. D clearly athletic but seemingly clueless. Good running team will keep their O off the field and Ram D not very capable of stopping run game. Hard game tho to get a clear picture of FU as URI is really bad.

Watched most of the game and agree with Rich, O looked unstoppable most of the game, but then sloppy at times also. D made some big plays but looked vulnerable in general.

carney2
August 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Agreed. There was a sequence in the 3rd Qtr. where the Ram QB got sacked twice and then the punter attempted a (in my opinion) ridiculous rugby sprint out punt and was buried for a loss and turnover on downs. URI moved the ball pretty effortlessly during the time that I was tuned in. The Rams are well stocked at the skill positions with Nebrich, Koonce, the TE, and a wideout or two. Their OL will determine how far that goes. On defense, however, there is jailbreak written all over it at times. Hey, that sounds a lot like another Patriot League team that I know of. They also wear maroon. No, not Colgate...it'll come to me eventually. Anyway, whoever they are, the O is looking OK with talent at the skill positions and questions in the OL, but the D needs work - and bodies.

ngineer
August 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Seems like a lot of FU games this year will be track meets with the over/under around 80.

RichH2
August 30th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Seems like a lot of FU games this year will be track meets with the over/under around 80.
n,
You may be a bit conservative there. Gate_FU could set records

carney2
August 31st, 2013, 07:36 AM
n,
You may be a bit conservative there. Gate_FU could set records

No records by Colgate offense without Tavani/Loose on the other sideline.

RichH2
August 31st, 2013, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=carney2;1995350]No records by Colgate offense without Tavani/Loose on the other sidel

Gate and Rams have a long way to go to even come close to usual Pard D.

Fordham
August 31st, 2013, 09:25 AM
I really don't care how bad a team URI is (and I agree that they did not look good), I have to say it's fun to have us beat a CAA team 51-26 and get ridiculed for it as though we just beat up on Lock Haven.

RichH2
August 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM
No,Fordham not ridiculing Rams,just looking for loopholes. O is scary good

Bogus Megapardus
August 31st, 2013, 12:46 PM
If your browser isn't opening the NEC Front Row stream for the Georgetown/Wagner game, and you're getting an "rtsp error," do this:

1. Open VLC Media Player. Download VLC if you don't have it. It's free and you need it anyhow.

2. Copy this ENTIRE link:

rtsp://packnetwork.live-s.cdn.bitgravity.com/cdn-live/_definst_/packnetwork/live/feed035?ColorBase=000000&ColorControl=666666&ColorHighlight=c0c0c0&ColorFeature=c0c0c0&nc=1

3. In VLC Median Player, Open: Media >>>> Open Network Stream, and then paste the above link where it says "Please Enter a Network URL."

4. In the bottom right corner of the VLC window, click the little drop-down arrow next to the "Play" button, and then click "Stream."

5. Wait for about 30 seconds and it should work for you.

Remember, Georgetown University really, really doesn't like you to watch its football team play, so it's out duty in the PL to keep one step ahead of its tactics. xcoolx

van
August 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
If your browser isn't opening the NEC Front Row stream for the Georgetown/Wagner game, and you're getting an "rtsp error," do this:

1. Open VLC Media Player. Download VLC if you don't have it. It's free and you need it anyhow.

2. Copy this ENTIRE link:

rtsp://packnetwork.live-s.cdn.bitgravity.com/cdn-live/_definst_/packnetwork/live/feed035?ColorBase=000000&ColorControl=666666&ColorHighlight=c0c0c0&ColorFeature=c0c0c0&nc=1

3. In VLC Median Player, Open: Media >>>> Open Network Stream, and then paste the above link where it says "Please Enter a Network URL."

4. In the bottom right corner of the VLC window, click the little drop-down arrow next to the "Play" button, and then click "Stream."

5. Wait for about 30 seconds and it should work for you.

Remember, Georgetown University really, really doesn't like you to watch its football team play, so it's out duty in the PL to keep one step ahead of its tactics. xcoolx

And they should give the camera operator a sobriety test!

Bogus Megapardus
August 31st, 2013, 02:32 PM
Here's the URL for the Air Force/Colgate game if you're having trouble. Copy and paste into VLC Media Player's "Open Network Stream" and just hit "Play." Working perfectly for me.

http://vvms01-edge.volarvideo.com/volar/ngrp:85C1C70F-AD6E-36E2-D952-84ABB5D974BB_all/chunklist-b2164000.m3u8?wowzasessionid=5250219&i=1

Remise
August 31st, 2013, 02:44 PM
As a slight P.S. -- since there is no game thread -- Colgate leads 7-0 at the end of the first quarter. Even if this is the high point for the Raiders, I am delighted.

B.C. Milligan

ColgateTD
August 31st, 2013, 04:37 PM
All downhill for 'Gate after the first quarter. Good experience to go up against a tough team in the first game, barring any injuries. Heck, we started 0-3 last year and look what happened :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Bryant beats HC 17-16. This really isn't that surprising. Crusaders need a boost in overall talent. I think Gilmore has really slipped on the recruiting trail.

Engineer86
August 31st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Bryant beats HC 17-16. This really isn't that surprising. Crusaders need a boost in overall talent. I think Gilmore has really slipped on the recruiting trail.

Ugh! This is another bad loss

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 05:38 PM

It's not going to be any better next week against Towson.

Colgate REALLY needs to beat Albany next week.

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2013, 05:48 PM
One point... guess things haven't changed... :(

Remise
August 31st, 2013, 05:58 PM
All downhill for 'Gate after the first quarter. Good experience to go up against a tough team in the first game, barring any injuries. Heck, we started 0-3 last year and look what happened :)

Between the altitude, the new offensive line and new tailback, and the 115-degree temperature on the field, I thought Colgate did pretty well today. Two more yards on a fourth and two from the Air Force 11 and Colgate could have been at least a touchdown closer.

B.C. Milligan

Go...gate
August 31st, 2013, 06:26 PM

Bryant seems to be building up rapidly.

Sader87
August 31st, 2013, 07:26 PM
Bryant seems to be building up rapidly.

About as quickly as Holy Cross is regressing.....hats off to the Bulldogs, they deserved to win today.

RichH2
August 31st, 2013, 07:33 PM
All things considered Gate fared better than I thought. OL looked much better until they fagged as did D

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2013, 07:35 PM
All things considered Gate fared better than I thought. OL looked much better until they fagged as did D

LOL, ohh rich, the typing got ya this time....

Go...gate
August 31st, 2013, 07:37 PM
About as quickly as Holy Cross is regressing.....hats off to the Bulldogs, they deserved to win today.

Always a big improvement between the first and second games and conference play still to come. Hang in there.

Sader87
August 31st, 2013, 07:57 PM
Always a big improvement between the first and second games and conference play still to come. Hang in there.

lol...you know we play Towson next week, don't you??? HC athletics are a disaster right now....it's a shame.

RichH2
August 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
LOL, ohh rich, the typing got ya this time....
I plead guilty only to a sick sense of humor

ngineer
August 31st, 2013, 11:37 PM
It's not going to be any better next week against Towson.

Colgate REALLY needs to beat Albany next week.

Albany got knocked off by Duquesne, 35-24!

ngineer
August 31st, 2013, 11:39 PM
lol...you know we play Towson next week, don't you??? HC athletics are a disaster right now....it's a shame.

Towson's a funny team. A lot of inconsistency. They could take you lightly when seeing the score. They certainly took us lightly two years ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2013, 11:50 PM
So, with the PL 0-2 against the NEC, Fordham giving up 26 points to the worst team in the CAA, and Colgate, as expected, losing to AFA, how shall I start my opening arguments for the PL getting an at-large bid? Anyone? Bueller?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 12:06 AM
So, with the PL 0-2 against the NEC, Fordham giving up 26 points to the worst team in the CAA, and Colgate, as expected, losing to AFA, how shall I start my opening arguments for the PL getting an at-large bid? Anyone? Bueller?

Did you see the SoCon performance. App State looked dreadful.

Wait until next week to pass any judgement. I think Fordham, Lehigh and Colgate will be fine. Colgate needs to be focused after playing AF.

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2013, 06:20 AM
You can't lose to Bryant, Holy Cross. Sorry, but these are the losses that will keep us at the bottom.

Fordham
September 1st, 2013, 07:50 AM

We were 9 1/2 point favorites to a full scholarship CAA squad and beat them by 25. In the grand scheme of things this game will have zero negative influence on our ability to get an at large. Zero. To lump us in with actual LOSSES to NEC schools is just goofy. Our last two coaches had opening season surprise losses to Bryant, Albany (before anyone here thought they were good) and Monmouth. We have been on that side of opening week and I will gladly take this.

That said, we learned the hard way to have respect for Albany, Bryant, et. al. I don't think it should be so shocking or depressing that these losses occurred. They're better teams than I think most here are giving credit and are further along on the scholarship train than any other Pl school but us.

CFBfan
September 1st, 2013, 08:31 AM
We were 9 1/2 point favorites to a full scholarship CAA squad and beat them by 25. In the grand scheme of things this game will have zero negative influence on our ability to get an at large. Zero. To lump us in with actual LOSSES to NEC schools is just goofy. Our last two coaches had opening season surprise losses to Bryant, Albany (before anyone here thought they were good) and Monmouth. We have been on that side of opening week and I will gladly take this.

That said, we learned the hard way to have respect for Albany, Bryant, et. al. I don't think it should be so shocking or depressing that these losses occurred. They're better teams than I think most here are giving credit and are further along on the scholarship train than any other Pl school but us.

well said Fordham!

Engineer86
September 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM

How about starting it with. If you want an at large bid, then beat the teams you should beat, and do not squeak out wins against bad teams. If you do, then 10 wins will not be enough. End it with demonstrate that you are a strong team on your own not by counting on someone else to beat someone else who beat someone else.

This is an argument I would buy.xnodx

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM

Patience.

What the league is right now, is a group of six 15-scholarship teams. If this is 2016 and HC is losing to Bryant, that's a problem. But it's 2013, and fans of these six teams have to take the longer view.

RichH2
September 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Patience.

What the league is right now, is a group of six 15-scholarship teams. If this is 2016 and HC is losing to Bryant, that's a problem. But it's 2013, and fans of these six teams have to take the longer view.

lol so many kept preaching that reality but find it harder to have the patience required for fruition of schollies. 2 more classes

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM

How about starting it with. If you want an at large bid, then beat the teams you should beat, and do not squeak out wins against bad teams. If you do, then 10 wins will not be enough. End it with demonstrate that you are a strong team on your own not by counting on someone else to beat someone else who beat someone else.

This is an argument I would buy.xnodx

You guys still, persistently, do not get it.

Fordham beat a CAA team that will be, at absolute best, sub-.500. You don't think now that those 26 points Fordham let up will affect anything, but the truth is it will. "Sure, they kept Villanova close but... they gave up 26 points to URI? The same URI that lost 70-0 to Towson?" If you don't think that's going to be a stick used to bludgeon the league, you're crazy. The Patriot League is not judged by the same yardstick as everyone else. PL teams have to do better than "expectations" in every game. And never struggle.

By Holy Cross losing to Bryant, assuming that Bryant is a hover-around-.500 team, now, if Fordham beats Holy Cross, their win over the Crusaders will be judged. "Hey, it's just Holy Cross... didn't they lose to Bryant?" Georgetown's loss is less problematic, since Wagner won the NEC last year (and is, for all practical purposes, a 63 scholarship team let's not forget), but it still doesn't help anything.

This sounds cruel, and it sounds early, but until you guys get it through your thick skulls that the SOS game is stacked against us since the opening kickoff, there will be this denial of reality on at-large qualification and Stockholm Syndrome when it does happen. Please let it be clear that I'm not blaming Fordham; they are doing a very strong job pulling together a great schedule. But it's not enough. It needs to be a consistent, league-wide thing - like every single other league does.

Engineer86
September 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM

Fordham beat a CAA team that will be, at absolute best, sub-.500. You don't think now that those 26 points Fordham let up will affect anything, but the truth is it will. "Sure, they kept Villanova close but... they gave up 26 points to URI? The same URI that lost 70-0 to Towson?" If you don't think that's going to be a stick used to bludgeon the league, you're crazy. The Patriot League is not judged by the same yardstick as everyone else. PL teams have to do better than "expectations" in every game. And never struggle.

By Holy Cross losing to Bryant, assuming that Bryant is a hover-around-.500 team, now, if Fordham beats Holy Cross, their win over the Crusaders will be judged. "Hey, it's just Holy Cross... didn't they lose to Bryant?" Georgetown's loss is less problematic, since Wagner won the NEC last year (and is, for all practical purposes, a 63 scholarship team let's not forget), but it still doesn't help anything.

This sounds cruel, and it sounds early, but until you guys get it through your thick skulls that the SOS game is stacked against us since the opening kickoff, there will be this denial of reality on at-large qualification and Stockholm Syndrome when it does happen. Please let it be clear that I'm not blaming Fordham; they are doing a very strong job pulling together a great schedule. But it's not enough. It needs to be a consistent, league-wide thing - like every single other league does.

Again, if HC is considered not good, then beat them soundly, don't beat them because they miss a late FG. That is the point you do not seem to get. We got left out because our 10-1 was made up of a lot of very close wins against weak teams. If we won soundly against those teams rather than single score wins, and shown we were a team worthy of the playoffs. We did not do that last year. Do good showings and wins as a league help, yes, but each team needs to show they are worthy too.

carney2
September 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM

No, LFN, YOU don't get it. We're talking about a ZERO BID LEAGUE. None of this matters. The teams - all of them - are that bad.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM
No, LFN, YOU don't get it. We're talking about a ZERO BID LEAGUE. None of this matters. The teams - all of them - are that bad.

These teams are not "THAT BAD". I'm not sure why you believe the league is this pathetic excuse. Do you pay attention to what goes on around the country? How would you feel if the PL was the SoCon today? How about the PFL?

Fordham
September 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM

A horrendous post, LFN, and you truly are the one who doesn't get it. We beat a CAA by 25 points which was more than 15 over the spread. There is no way the season unfolds in any way where where the URI game comes back to bite us. What will matter is how we perform v Nova .... somewhat against Temple ... and how any other wins and losses on the schedule go. To have a complete season in and look over our entire body of work and point back to the points that brought our game back to being won by 25 is simply idiotic. To a man with a hammer, everything's a nail. Go to a surgeon and you'll get a surgical answer. Read a post from LFN on AGS and all you'll hear are a newborn's cries over the unfairness of SOS.

Btw, my comment was strictly about the URI game result, not about HC v Bryant's results on us if we were to play them close. I could see that impacting us but more so because I don't think the rest of FCS has the respect for them that I do. I view them as similar to '04-'05 Albany, which was right before they got the respect from the rest of the subdivision.

aceinthehole
September 1st, 2013, 05:40 PM

Congrats Bryant - well done!

Kramer
September 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
Congrats Bryant - well done!

Agreed. A good win for an improving program.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2013, 08:05 PM
A horrendous post, LFN, and you truly are the one who doesn't get it. We beat a CAA by 25 points which was more than 15 over the spread. There is no way the season unfolds in any way where where the URI game comes back to bite us. What will matter is how we perform v Nova .... somewhat against Temple ... and how any other wins and losses on the schedule go. To have a complete season in and look over our entire body of work and point back to the points that brought our game back to being won by 25 is simply idiotic. To a man with a hammer, everything's a nail. Go to a surgeon and you'll get a surgical answer. Read a post from LFN on AGS and all you'll hear are a newborn's cries over the unfairness of SOS.

Btw, my comment was strictly about the URI game result, not about HC v Bryant's results on us if we were to play them close. I could see that impacting us but more so because I don't think the rest of FCS has the respect for them that I do. I view them as similar to '04-'05 Albany, which was right before they got the respect from the rest of the subdivision.

Again, it's in no way an indictment of Fordham's schedule, it's an indictment about the scheduling box the PL is now in, which, by association, includes you guys. PL teams have to have a Boise State mentality when it comes to games: no close games, run up the score whenever possible. Gone are the days when a 19-17 win over Columbia is enough, even if you power through the rest of the schedule. Even if Columbia is actually better than everyone thinks they are.

I honestly don't mean to sound too harsh here. Fordham's one of the teams scheduling tough teams, FBS teams. Having said that, since the rest of the league is the PL, I'm just saying that you guys are hurt by this. Unfortunately, Holy Cross' losses are also your losses.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM
Patience.

I agree with this 100%. NEC starters are virtually all full scholarship. Patriot teams have no scholarships starters. It will take a couple of years for PL teams to match NEC scholarship talent. Everyone just has to chill; we've discussed this before.

The bad news (for the PL) is that NEC teams showed their superiority over their Patriot opponents this weekend. The good news (for PL scholarship advocates) is that the argument for athletic merit-based aid now has never been more poignant.

xtwocentsx

RichH2
September 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM
I agree with this 100%. NEC starters are virtually all full scholarship. Patriot teams have no scholarships starters. It will take a couple of years for PL teams to match NEC scholarship talent. Everyone just has to chill; we've discussed this before.

The bad news (for the PL) is that NEC teams showed their superiority over their Patriot opponents this weekend. The good news (for PL scholarship advocates) is that the argument for athletic merit-based aid now has never been more poignant.

xtwocentsx
Yup. Two more classes

Doc QB
September 1st, 2013, 09:48 PM

xtwocentsx

Well said. And although I agree w most here that LFN's recent post is a bit off the mark, his Boise State mentality remark is on. Until overall PL strength improves, our OOC games remain THE measuring stick, maybe unfairly so. Getting to playoffs via autobid or an at-large, remember where we are usually placed come bracket time...on the road, playing a high seed. Fordham pasting URI by 25, wether or not URI is sub-500 or not, shows FU took care of business decisively. Got the job done. Very meaningful.

carney2
September 2nd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Tough to get a read on the Cross. A loss to Bryant does not bode well, and CAA Towson coming to town on Saturday will likely not tell us much. Folks on the Lafayette board are saying that the 'saders are too small, too slow and wouldn't know a running game if they tripped over it. Perhaps. It looks like they will really need to take care of business at Central Connecticut on the 14th (not just a W - an impressive W) or it's gonna be another loooooong season in Woo. A (heaven forbid) loss to CCSU and they could be looking at another 2 - 3 win season.

The Georgetown loss to Wagner was both expected and disappointing. On the one hand Wagner made the playoffs last year and beat Colgate in the first round. On the other, Wagner is in something of a rebuilding mode and the Hoyas were supposedly at full strength after a season of no healthy QBs. The future does not look bright for the Hoyas as they get two probable wins (Davidson and Marist), but then follow that with 5 games (Brown, Princeton, Fordham, Lehigh, Colgate) where they will be underdogs.

I can't tell you how important this week's game vs. Albany is for Colgate. Air Force wasn't a test. It was an ordeal. The 'gaters need to prove that they are more than just a QB. Albany is wounded and apparently not yet a CAA quality team. Time to get it going.

CFBfan
September 2nd, 2013, 08:05 AM

LFN you are posting/blogging yourself into irrelevance on this one

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
Tough to get a read on the Cross. A loss to Bryant does not bode well, and CAA Towson coming to town on Saturday will likely not tell us much. Folks on the Lafayette board are saying that the 'saders are too small, too slow and wouldn't know a running game if they tripped over it. Perhaps. It looks like they will really need to take care of business at Central Connecticut on the 14th (not just a W - an impressive W) or it's gonna be another loooooong season in Woo. A (heaven forbid) loss to CCSU and they could be looking at another 2 - 3 win season.

The Georgetown loss to Wagner was both expected and disappointing. On the one hand Wagner made the playoffs last year and beat Colgate in the first round. On the other, Wagner is in something of a rebuilding mode and the Hoyas were supposedly at full strength after a season of no healthy QBs. The future does not look bright for the Hoyas as they get two probable wins (Davidson and Marist), but then follow that with 5 games (Brown, Princeton, Fordham, Lehigh, Colgate) where they will be underdogs.

I can't tell you how important this week's game vs. Albany is for Colgate. Air Force wasn't a test. It was an ordeal. The 'gaters need to prove that they are more than just a QB. Albany is wounded and apparently not yet a CAA quality team. Time to get it going.

I think it will be a very tough game for Colgate.

ColgateTD
September 2nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
I think it will be a very tough game for Colgate.

Ditto that.

Fordham
September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Again, it's in no way an indictment of Fordham's schedule, it's an indictment about the scheduling box the PL is now in, which, by association, includes you guys. PL teams have to have a Boise State mentality when it comes to games: no close games, run up the score whenever possible. Gone are the days when a 19-17 win over Columbia is enough, even if you power through the rest of the schedule. Even if Columbia is actually better than everyone thinks they are.

I honestly don't mean to sound too harsh here. Fordham's one of the teams scheduling tough teams, FBS teams. Having said that, since the rest of the league is the PL, I'm just saying that you guys are hurt by this. Unfortunately, Holy Cross' losses are also your losses.

You're now jumping around to discussing Columbia, HC, etc. The only thing I took issue with specifically was when you included our 25 point win over CAA team URI as part of a rationale someone could use against us getting an at-large. There is zero chance that will happen. Zero negative impact from beating a full scholarship team by 15 points more than the spread.

Close games against teams we should beat ... getting blown out this weekend or next ... or some losses to teams we should beat all may impact us from here on out but there will be zero negative impact from a convincing win over URI. Zero.

I actually agree with your latest point about the overall reputation and scheduling of the PL in general leading to a negative perception overall and putting us in position to have to win those games more convincingly than we would otherwise have to do in order to get an at large. Just as with Albany and Stony Brook, though, that perception will change over time as we all do well against better and better OOC opponents and perform better in the playoffs. Until then it's hard for me to say that we don't deserve that rep.

crusader11
September 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM

I really wish I could disagree with you.