PDA

View Full Version : Joe Pa Is Senile

4times
September 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
PSU is up 30 to 3 with 1:50 left in the game on the YSU 15. Instead of taking a knee the old seile s__ puts in the end zone.... The old fart needs to find the bus and get the early bird special at the local diner.... YSU was up by 30 against a D2 team in week one with 4:30 left and took a knee 4 straight plays... what does Grand-PA have to prove.... I hope tressel and the Buckeyes POUND THE lions and their senile old man until they cry !!!!

grizband
September 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM
In the world of I-A and BCS, margin of victory sometimes matters more than it should. However, it still seems as though JoePa should have taken the knee.

mainejeff
September 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
He's as old as dirt.....what do you expect?

ysubigred
September 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Good thing PSU don't have a good QB and a FG kicker or it might have been worse. Dude the back up QB ran 19 yards for the last score :twocents:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM
xcoffeex

cosmo here
September 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
PSU is up 30 to 3 with 1:50 left in the game on the YSU 15. Instead of taking a knee the old seile s__ puts in the end zone.... The old fart needs to find the bus and get the early bird special at the local diner.... YSU was up by 30 against a D2 team in week one with 4:30 left and took a knee 4 straight plays... what does Grand-PA have to prove.... I hope tressel and the Buckeyes POUND THE lions and their senile old man until they cry !!!!

well your first two posts certainly proved effective . . "I can't wait to see what App State does to Lafayette" . . way to come back with a strong third post :rolleyes:

GSUISBACK
September 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
take a knee with 1:50 left not me

AggiePride
September 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yeh I am sure those 2nd stringers getting some of their first playing time of the season REALLY wanted to take a knee...

I guess only people who have played can understand...

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Yeh I am sure those 2nd stringers getting some of their first playing time of the season REALLY wanted to take a knee...

I guess only people who have played can understand...
I never played and I've always felt that it's the defense's job to stop the offense...I know some people talk about sportsmanship and things like that. But as you said, if the 2nd or 3rd stringers are in, you can't tell them to just NOT try to play well! Some of these guys are looking to get scholarships next year or even move up on this year's depth chart!

Coastal89
September 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
How many times did YSU take a knee in their 2 lopsided wins? It's the D's job to stop them, not the O's job not to score.

BDK@YSU
September 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I was there, and I can vouch that Paterno is senile, but for other reasons. He doesn't wear a headset, he was barely ever in the huddle with his team at timeouts, and I don't even think I saw him talk to his other coaches while he paced up and down the sidelines.

At the end of the first quarter, it was even at 0-0 and there was a glimmer of hope that we might be able to do this... and then the Penn State team rushed for 389 yards (568 total).

You're not going to win many, if any, games when you allow that many rushing yards. And you'll lose more when you have 184 yards of total offense. All I can say is that we have to regroup for next week.

Appstate03
September 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
It drives me crazy when people complain about teams running up the score. I agree with the old addage....If you don't like it, stop them from scoring.

On the other note, Joe Pa is a crazy old fart. But thats neither here or there when it comes to running the score up.

igo4uni
September 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
On the other note, Joe Pa is a crazy old fart.

He should have retired years ago. :twocents:

ysubigred
September 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM
How many times did YSU take a knee in their 2 lopsided wins? It's the D's job to stop them, not the O's job not to score.

Well since you ask; The first game of the season with 4:30 left in the game YSU took a knee. It pissed off the SRU coach so much he raced across the field after Heacock for insulting his team after the horn. YSU could have put up 70 + if we wanted in that game. The Maine game was different that score did not indicate how close the game really was. Maine play us tough.

I feel YSU did the best we could have without our #1 TB Mason. I'm not sure any 1AA team could hang with Penn St period. ****z they bring in the mop up crew and they are just as big and fast as the 1st team.

saluki_in_ohio
September 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I was there, and I can vouch that Paterno is senile, but for other reasons. He doesn't wear a headset, he was barely ever in the huddle with his team at timeouts, and I don't even think I saw him talk to his other coaches while he paced up and down the sidelines.

At the end of the first quarter, it was even at 0-0 and there was a glimmer of hope that we might be able to do this... and then the Penn State team rushed for 389 yards (568 total).

You're not going to win many, if any, games when you allow that many rushing yards. And you'll lose more when you have 184 yards of total offense. All I can say is that we have to regroup for next week.

I have heard that Joe Paterno doesn't coach anymore, he is only a figurehead. There is an "associate" head coach that does all the work. Penn State doesn't have the heart to force him to retire.

BDK@YSU
September 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I have heard that Joe Paterno doesn't coach anymore, he is only a figurehead. There is an "associate" head coach that does all the work. Penn State doesn't have the heart to force him to retire.

That's what we figured on the long ride home. Good win today, by the way.

Mr. C
September 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
There IS etiquette in football and it sounds like Joe Pa didn't follow it today. I hate to see teams like Penn State run up the score (sorry to disagree with so many of you). The only reason Penn State wants to do this is because they got blasted by Notre Dame last week and want to make it look like they beat up on YSU.

Good effort, BTW, Penguins. Closer game than I expected.

FlyYtown
September 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Just wanna throw something out. I don't mind JOEPA scoring the 4th quarter.
Once again the guy who scored lived and played on Stambaugh Stadium during his High School days at Ursuline..

I wish him all the best!
gopenguins

ngineer
September 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yes, Flytown is correct. Clarke is from Youngstown. Article in paper today about how he was hoping to play. When you got the second and third stringers in there you want them to play. If they were on the one with 30 seconds to go, I would agree. But the TD came from about 20 yards out. YSU didn't tackle. Don't whine and point baseless fingers. It's unbecoming.

AggiePride
September 17th, 2006, 12:54 AM
There IS etiquette in football and it sounds like Joe Pa didn't follow it today. I hate to see teams like Penn State run up the score (sorry to disagree with so many of you). The only reason Penn State wants to do this is because they got blasted by Notre Dame last week and want to make it look like they beat up on YSU.

Good effort, BTW, Penguins. Closer game than I expected.

Tell that to the second/third stringers that had their families there, their friends, and their girlfriend watching in front of 100,000 people, all while they try to show the coaches they can play ball and climb the depth chart. How often do you think these guys get to see the field? Come on, etiqutte? You gotta be kidding.... this is not a tea party.

You would have a point if it was 1st stringers and if it was not an 18 yard rushing TD which was part of a final drive that had 49 rushing yards. That does not even matter, I bet that 2nd string QB wishes he had a TD pass.

Yeh they should have taken a knee at 5:35 left and saved it all for the next close game they have where they don't see the field... :rolleyes:

SoCon48
September 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Right on.
Feels a little diff when a team is on the receiving end.

SoCon48
September 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Well since you ask; The first game of the season with 4:30 left in the game YSU took a knee. It pissed off the SRU coach so much he raced across the field after Heacock for insulting his team after the horn. YSU could have put up 70 + if we wanted in that game. The Maine game was different that score did not indicate how close the game really was. Maine play us tough.

I feel YSU did the best we could have without our #1 TB Mason. I'm not sure any 1AA team could hang with Penn St period. ****z they bring in the mop up crew and they are just as big and fast as the 1st team.
The first game of the season with 4:30 left in the game YSU took a knee.

Umm hmm. After passing and scoring with 6 minutes left.
Ryan Daniel kickoff 54 yards to the YSU26, Perry, Jason return 29 yards to
the ROCK45 (Jake Barzen;Richie Barnes).
Y 1-10 S45 YOUNGSTOWN STATE drive start at 09:32 (4th).
Y 1-10 S45 Nicholson, B. rush for 1 yard to the ROCK44 (Seth Randall;Jared Palmer).
Y 2-9 S44 Schneider, Mike pass incomplete to Horne, D.. Y 3-9 S44 Schneider, Mike pass complete to Pitts, Aaron for 12 yards to the ROCK32, 1ST DOWN YSU (Sam Morant).
Y 1-10 S32 Schneider, Mike rush for 9 yards to the ROCK23 (Troy Stininger),
PENALTY YSU holding 10 yards to the ROCK42, NO PLAY.
Y 1-20 S42 Nicholson, B. rush for 9 yards to the ROCK33 (Seth Randall).
Y 2-11 S33 Schneider, Mike pass complete to Nicholson, B. for 33 yards to the
ROCK0, 1ST DOWN YSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 06:40.
Palmer, Brian kick attempt good.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2006, 08:37 AM
The first game of the season with 4:30 left in the game YSU took a knee.

Umm hmm. After passing and scoring with 6 minutes left.
Ryan Daniel kickoff 54 yards to the YSU26, Perry, Jason return 29 yards to
the ROCK45 (Jake Barzen;Richie Barnes).
Y 1-10 S45 YOUNGSTOWN STATE drive start at 09:32 (4th).
Y 1-10 S45 Nicholson, B. rush for 1 yard to the ROCK44 (Seth Randall;Jared Palmer).
Y 2-9 S44 Schneider, Mike pass incomplete to Horne, D.. Y 3-9 S44 Schneider, Mike pass complete to Pitts, Aaron for 12 yards to the ROCK32, 1ST DOWN YSU (Sam Morant).
Y 1-10 S32 Schneider, Mike rush for 9 yards to the ROCK23 (Troy Stininger),
PENALTY YSU holding 10 yards to the ROCK42, NO PLAY.
Y 1-20 S42 Nicholson, B. rush for 9 yards to the ROCK33 (Seth Randall).
Y 2-11 S33 Schneider, Mike pass complete to Nicholson, B. for 33 yards to the
ROCK0, 1ST DOWN YSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 06:40.
Palmer, Brian kick attempt good.

OK your point is? We had the mop up crew in and could have ran it in at 6 mins or threw another in at 4:30.

I don't think PSU ran up the score. They were working with a back up QB who needs work.

Sam Adams
September 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM
JoePa did exactly what 90% of 1A coaches would do and have done in that situation. Since there is no playoff forma

Sam Adams
September 17th, 2006, 08:44 AM
JoePa did exactly what 90% of 1A coaches would do and have done in that situation. Since there is no playoff format the NCAA incentivizes 1A schools to run up the score. Another example of what a joke 1A is.

ngineer
September 17th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Yeah, right. You can VOUCH that...:rolleyes:
Hasn't worn a headset in 40 years he's been HC. There are a lot of HC's that let their coordinators handle the communications with the box. Such inane comments just reinforce YSU's image of a whining flock. (See last year's Board from November to December and the Crapsville Bar Thread)...

BDK@YSU
September 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
How many HCs let their coordinators do everything? It's not like I actually know (or think) he is senile. It was a joke on my part and I apologize to all those in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that I've offended by dishonoring one of their own.

It's easy to see that Penn State has no incentive to let him go, especially after last season. He gives all of his money he earns back to the university and the kids there obviously love him. It would be a major gaffe on the part of the university administration to let him go, seeing as heads would roll over that decision.

I don't see how it's whining. I've accepted the fact that we lost. I have accepted the reasons that we lost.

But I still don't think he does anything.

cosmo here
September 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM
How many HCs let their coordinators do everything?

I don't have the whole list in front of me, but at least on game day, it's quite a few.

YSUPEN
September 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Thirty years ago, Coach Paterno would have talked to the QB on the sideline and run three FB dives. But today the games are controlled by Offensive and Defensive coordinators who coach the game all the way through. Galen Hall is the offensive coordinator for PSU and he's making the calls, not Coach Paterno. At the end of the Akron game, PSU Defensive Coordinator Tom Bradley looked like they lost the game when Akron scored on a touchdown pass in the last minute to make the score 34-16. He wanted to hold Akron without a TD. That's the way it is.

Franks Tanks
September 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM
How many HCs let their coordinators do everything? It's not like I actually know (or think) he is senile. It was a joke on my part and I apologize to all those in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that I've offended by dishonoring one of their own.

It's easy to see that Penn State has no incentive to let him go, especially after last season. He gives all of his money he earns back to the university and the kids there obviously love him. It would be a major gaffe on the part of the university administration to let him go, seeing as heads would roll over that decision.

I don't see how it's whining. I've accepted the fact that we lost. I have accepted the reasons that we lost.

But I still don't think he does anything.

Look many head coaches today, and even in the past, are the CEO types. They put people in place they trust to run the offense and defense, and the head coach recruits, deals with the media and constructs the strategic vision the program is taking. Bobby Bowden, MAck Brown and Pete Carroll are similar. Bowden probably has even less involvement in the day to day than Paterno, in the sense of calling plays, organizing practices, making game plans...no one criticizes him. Joe PA is as classy as they get and he runs his program in a way that is common of large seccessful programs. Sorry you dont like Paterno because he does it the right way, and doesnt have to cheat and recruit thugs like Mr. Tressel...and that is the way it is.

Mountain Panther
September 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM

I'm sure the PSU players were a heavy influence in that decision.

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Joe Pa has integrity. Nuff said.

Sam Adams
September 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Joe Pa has integrity. Nuff said.

JoePa used to be a great College Football coach. He was never any more virtuous than many other coaches, but he cultivated that image successfully. That was very useful to him when his teams played like crap. He should have hung up the whistle at least 5 yrs ago.

SoCon48
September 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM
OK your point is? We had the mop up crew in and could have ran it in at 6 mins or threw another in at 4:30.

I don't think PSU ran up the score. They were working with a back up QB who needs work.

We agree on that point.

SoCon48
September 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
JoePa used to be a great College Football coach. He was never any more virtuous than many other coaches, but he cultivated that image successfully. That was very useful to him when his teams played like crap. He should have hung up the whistle at least 5 yrs ago.
He should have hung up the whistle at least 5 yrs ago.

I would have agree with you in '04 but would have hated to have taken a chance on having to have missed the 11-1 2005 seaon and the Orange Bowl victory.xlolx

Sam Adams
September 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I think you have to expect your 1A opponent to run up the score if given the opportunity to do so. The typical attitude was personified by the low rent randy edsall of uconn who was seriously ticked off that the huskies only beat rhody 52-7. This is particularly hilarious since edsall has refused to play UMASS (despite about 90 years of UMass/UConn games) ever since UMass famousely crushed the huskies 62-20 in uconn's last 1AA game.

As for JoePa he should have retired. In the past 7 yrs PSU has been to 3 bowl games and is 2-1. When Paterno was still a good coach PSU was in a major bowl almost every single season between the late 60's & late 90's. Then Joe got old and ceased being as effective in recruiting and winning. If you don't think PSU has fallen off look at the record books.

cosmo here
September 17th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I think you have to expect your 1A opponent to run up the score if given the opportunity to do so. The typical attitude was personified by the low rent randy edsall of uconn who was seriously ticked off that the huskies only beat rhody 52-7. This is particularly hilarious since edsall has refused to play UMASS (despite about 90 years of UMass/UConn games) ever since UMass famousely crushed the huskies 62-20 in uconn's last 1AA game.

I think you're making a generalization about one game about one coach that you don't like.

Regarding this instance (Penn State-YSU) I'll echo previous thoughts that if you don't want them to score, stop them. Let the kids play.

Sam Adams
September 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I think you're making a generalization about one game about one coach that you don't like.

Regarding this instance (Penn State-YSU) I'll echo previous thoughts that if you don't want them to score, stop them. Let the kids play.

HUH? Edsall's attitude is hardly unique. Do you seriously believe that 1A coaches schedule 1AA opponents in order to play close games???? xidiotx

cosmo here
September 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
HUH? Edsall's attitude is hardly unique. Do you seriously believe that 1A coaches schedule 1AA opponents in order to play close games???? xidiotx

The generalization you made is that a coach is ticked off if his team doesn't run up the score, like you've established with Edsall. If that was his motivation, it's wrong, but I don't think that sort of mentality is common among I-A coaches.

UNH_ORACLE
September 17th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Joe Pa is a legend lets have a little respect. Taking a knee? are you kidding me? Let's play football. Youngstown State, toughen up!!!

ysubigred
September 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Joe Pa is a legend lets have a little respect. Taking a knee? are you kidding me? Let's play football. Youngstown State, toughen up!!!

LOL!! I'll agree YSU better tighten up the old jock strap this week end :) We should have knocked the snot out of those Penn State big 10 sissy's xlolx :thumbsup:

UNH_ORACLE
September 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM
or just not cry like a sissy when the game is over.. ya'll got paid!!! Make money money make money money.

ysubigred
September 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM
or just not cry like a sissy when the game is over.. ya'll got paid!!! Make money money make money money.

As all schools we have our fair share of whinners :) YSU got a check and I'm moving on :hurray: