PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls State at Louisiana Tech

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
It's on Cox Sports TV down here. Nicholls moved easily on its first drive and scored. 7 - 0. During the first drive Louisiana Tech had no clue as to how to deal with their option scheme.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Tech right back. Turnabout: Nicholls State with no clue as to how to stop the Tech passing game. They did have Tech in a third and very long early in the drive but a guy made a diving catch near midfield to get them out of it.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
The old "fake the fullback dive and throw it deep" from 50 yards out. Nicholls State 14, Louisiana Tech 7.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Nicholls State sacks Tech's QB...creates fumble and recovers at 34. Drives in for the score on a 4 1/2 yard run by the fullback.

21-7 Nicholls State.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Watching the game on ALTITUDE...

Would have it on Cox Sports, but we got DirecTV...passing the time until my Kats play SMU! :)

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Nicholls State causes ANOTHER LaTech fumble!!!! Let's move the ball and score again!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Darn it Nicholls! They couldn't capitalize on 4th and 1 and really demoralize the Techsters...Tech has some good field position now...

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Nicholls State just did something stupid. Colonels leading 21-7 and go for it on 4th and 1 from their own 39 yard line instead of punting. Tech stops them. We'll see what happens.

dbackjon
Go Nicholls!!

GeauxColonels
I agree....should have punted. You still have the momentum. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Now everything has shifted in LaTech's favor.

catbob
September 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
You punt there. Horrible call. LT is going to score.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
If anything, don't run it up the gut. They haven't stopped you on the outside all day....go there!

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2006, 06:59 PM
You punt there. Horrible call. LT is going to score.

That coaching decision aside, I am a big fan of Jay Thomas, head coach of Nicholls St...

Time to "hold that line" for the Colonels...

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Held 'em to a field goal. 21 - 10 Nicholls State.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:00 PM
GREAT play on 3rd & Goal to force the LaTech field goal attempt. Lucky that the LaTech QB threw a low pass on 2nd down.

Nicholls State 21 - LaTech 10.

Tod
September 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Held 'em to a field goal. 21 - 10 Nicholls State.

Not too bad after a mistake like that.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Alright Colonels.....let's get another good return and run the ball down their throats!!!! :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Not too bad after a mistake like that.
Definitely got lucky on that possession since the QB threw the ball low to a wide open receiver in the middle of the end zone and then the LB batted a pass down on 3rd down.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I admire your moxie, Catbob. You Montana State fans must think you're in the Twilight Zone.

Wierd, wierd, wierd.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Arrrrgghhhhhhh!!!!!

3rd & 10 and Nicholls fumbles the pitch (but recovers it). Colonels forced to punt.

AggiePride
September 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I admire your moxie, Catbob. You Montana State fans must think you're in the Twilight Zone.

Wierd, wierd, wierd.

True, because it's definately not the end zone :cool:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM
True, because it's definately not the end zone :cool:
Oh SNAP!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
TD LaTech.

The secondary REALLY needs to get in the game, these wide outs are going to have a field day if it keeps going like this.

We also need to move the ball better on offense.

That 4th & 1 try is looking even worse now (if that's possible).

Nicholls State 21 - LaTech 17

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Tech scores again. 21-17.

Tod
September 16th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Nicholls State really needs to march down field and score here.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Nicholls State really needs to march down field and score here.
Wow, Nicholls State fumbled....I thought that LaTech had recovered the ball but the referee ruled that the Bulldogs did not gain possession before going out of bounds.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Actually, I just saw the replay and the referee got the call right.

However, it doesn't appear that we could convert on 3rd & 3 and we'll have to punt again.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Colonels are short about 6 inches at their own 31 yard line. Thomas sends out the punt team this time.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
LaTech fumbles the ball on 1st down after the Nicholls State punt!!!!!! The 3rd fumble of the night for the Bulldogs.

1st and 10 Colonels around the 50 yard line! 1:30 left in the 2nd Quarter.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Hmmmmmm. Not sure what Jay Thomas was thinking here, but he had 2 time outs and let the clock run before the Colonels' 3rd & 6 play and THEN called time out with 2 seconds left?! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
BOTH teams use time outs....then Nicholls State just kneels the ball? WEIRD!

Nicholls State 21 - LaTech 17 at halftime.

Boy, that 4th down try looks even WORSE now!!! They punt at that point and may still be up by 7, or even 11.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Nicholls State gets the ball back after LaTech can't convert on 3rd down. Plenty of mental mistakes on the part of the Bulldogs.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
LaTech is REALLY keying in on the fullback in the triple-option plays. The Colonels need to start going outside with the option.

Just as I type this, they do that exactly and pick up a first down!!!!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
1st & 10 Colonels at the LaTech 23 yard line after a good out pattern!!!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Good pass out to the WR transfer from Alabama for another 1st down....if he doesn't fall down after the catch it would have been 6 after the defender had already fallen down.

Anyhow, 1st down Colonels in the red zone now!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Colonels fumble the ball away inside the redzone! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

The 1st turnover of the night for Nicholls State is a BIG one. :bawling: :bawling:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
3rd & 11 at their OWN 41 yard line.......LaTech QB tucks the ball and runs for about 13 yards and the 1st down.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
AGGGGHHH!!!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

The Colonels had LaTech held, and then a DUMB freshman DE threw a PUNCH, got ejected and gave LaTech 15 yards and a 1st down. the Bulldogs take the ball down inside the Colonel 10 yard line.

Still 21-17 Nicholls State, with the Bulldogs knocking on the door.

GAD
September 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I just put the game on and the Nichols D is really laying the leather

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:11 PM
LaTech takes the lead on a nice run by the tailback. 24-21 LaTech over Nicholls State with about 5:30 left in the 3rd quarter.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I just put the game on and the Nichols D is really laying the leather
They're making some hits, but they have to wrap up and stock the stupid mental mistakes.

GAD
September 16th, 2006, 08:13 PM
fumble fumble

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
LaTech DRILLS the Nicholls State QB, and he's not getting up.

Meanwhile, he fumbles the ball and LaTech recovers the ball inside the Nicholls State 10.

Commercial.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Well, great blindside hit on the NSU QB by Tech to force a fumble. Tech inside the 10. Nicholls needs to keep them out here.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Nicholls State QB walks off the field. But the last 2 offensive plays for Nicholls State were fumbles by the QB Montgomery.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Nicholls State bats the LaTech pass on 3rd down....but there is a penalty on Nicholls State, giving LaTech an AUTOMATIC 1st down.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM
TD LaTech on a 2 yard run right up the middle.

The Colonel offense REALLY needs to get things into gear on this next drive or the game will be over.

LaTech 31 - Nicholls State 21
3:34 left in the 3rd Quarter.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Pooch kick by LaTech and Nicholls State fair catches the ball around the 30.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Here's a stat for ya:

Nicholls State has been outscored 24-0 since going for it on 4th & 1 in their own territory during the 2nd quarter.
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Colonels can't convert on 3rd & 3 and lost 2 yards. Punt down to the LaTech 14 yard line. ist & 10 Bulldogs.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:25 PM
End of the 3rd Quarter:
Louisiana Tech - 31
Nicholls State - 21

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Missed tackles SUCK

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
LaTech is moving the ball at will now. The Colonel defense really needs to step it up and give the offense an opportunity to redeem itself.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Dropped interception. Gotta make those plays!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Almost picked off!!!! You HAVE to take advantage of that!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
ANOTHER dropped INT!!!!!!!
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
ANOTHER dropped interception. Two in three plays. At least the guy missed the field goal.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
LaTech misses a field goal!

Still 31-21 LaTech with over 10 minutes to go in the game.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
BADDDDDD pass by QB Montgomery. But good to see him back in the game and not dead after that brutal hit earlier.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Ball placed PERFECTLY in the receiver's hands and he DROPS it! You HAVE to make those catches!

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
1st down PASS!!!!! The receiver who just missed the ball perfectly placed in his hands makes a good sideline grab to keep the drive alive.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM
The QB is taking a BEATING. They really need to protect him better.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:48 PM
The Colonel defense is very tired now. The offense has not given them a real breather since half-time.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Defense makes a stop and forces LaTech to punt the ball. The return man, however, decides to field the ball inside the 10 yard line and doesn't get much of a return.

THEN Nicholls State has a personal foul called against them pushing them back even further.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
What's with the personal fouls? Nicholls had a chance to win this game but some of their players have lost their heads a few times. Course the coach lost his head too when he went for that fourth down at his own 39 in the 2nd quarter.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Absolutely NO blocking on the option play; Nicholls State loses yardage inside their own 5 yard line.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 08:53 PM
What's with the personal fouls? Nicholls had a chance to win this game but some of their players have lost their heads a few times. Course the coach lost his head too when he went for that fourth down at his own 39 in the 2nd quarter.
You're absolutely right. I really don't know what the deal is because the players are usually pretty level headed. Maybe it's frustration? Either way, it's totaly uncalled for.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Nicholls State holds LaTech on 3rd down....but only 2:08 left in the game. I fear that the Colonels do not have enough left in the tank.

GREAT!!!! To makes matters worse, Nicholls State has NO time outs and starts the drive at their own 1 yard line after a GREAT punt.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Jay Thomas has pretty much thrown in the towel, running 2 running plays and the clock now under 1 minute.: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Colonels run the clock down to 2 seconds, then punts and the game ends.

Louisiana Tech - 31
Nicholls State - 21

GREAT effort early on...had me forgetting COMPLETELY about the LSU game earlier.

However, the turning point of the game was the ill-fated 4th down conversion attempt at their own 30 during the 2nd quarter. Up 21-7, Nicholls State should have punted the ball. Instead, they fail to convert, LaTech takes control of the game and scores 24 unanswered points.

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Looked like Tech made some adjustments and was able to shut down Nicholls State's offense. But Nicholls had that 21 - 7 lead and had a shot. But they needed to avoid mistakes and they didn't do that. I agree that the first really big one was the coach going for it on 4th and one with that 21-7 lead from Nicholls State's 39 yard line.

GeauxColonels
September 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Looked like Tech made some adjustments and was able to shut down Nicholls State's offense. But Nicholls had that 21 - 7 lead and had a shot. But they needed to avoid mistakes and they didn't do that. I agree that the first really big one was the coach going for it on 4th and one with that 21-7 lead from Nicholls State's 39 yard line.
Couldn't agree more. Nicholls State didn't take advantage of the numerous mistakes that LaTech made and that came back to bite the Colonels in the ass. I'm pleased, overall, with the team's effort. I just wish we could have gotten our 2nd ever win over a I-A team, first ever over a Louisiana I-A team. :( :(

malachi
September 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM
sup chip,

As for LA Tech, there QB is dam good at handing off. The NSU defence, much less the fans, had no clue where the ball was. many a times we made a great tackle to someone who didnot have the ball.

the 4th and 1 was not a horrible call. the bad call was the offence call to shut the play book with a 21-7 lead and run the same dam play over and over,( running play up the middle) did not see our bread and butter.

over all not a good game, both teams did not play well.
ways nicholls wins
1) catch the ball
2) run outside
3) not try west coast and get your QB knocked the heck out.

final note: Good Job Colonels. for a i-A school with almost twice the population we held our own. as far as the SLC, we are coming full steam.

GeauxColonels
September 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
sup chip,

As for LA Tech, there QB is dam good at handing off. The NSU defence, much less the fans, had no clue where the ball was. many a times we made a great tackle to someone who didnot have the ball.

the 4th and 1 was not a horrible call. the bad call was the offence call to shut the play book with a 21-7 lead and run the same dam play over and over,( running play up the middle) did not see our bread and butter.

over all not a good game, both teams did not play well.
ways nicholls wins
1) catch the ball
2) run outside
3) not try west coast and get your QB knocked the heck out.

final note: Good Job Colonels. for a i-A school with almost twice the population we held our own. as far as the SLC, we are coming full steam.
Yeah, I mentioned that on here during the game. They were keying on the fullback up the middle and, when they ran a few times outside later in the game, they had some success. I'm not really sure why they stopped going outside - although, I know it's a decision that the QB makes at the line. The coaches should have recognized how the defense was playing and coached the QB Montgomery about going outside from time to time.