PDA

View Full Version : rising stars in camp

813Jag
August 19th, 2013, 10:06 AM
As we all know, there's usually one or two guys who step up during camp to get their names known. It may be a guy winning a position battle or a guy(s) who makes the most of his opportunity. Let's talk about them here.

For Southern that guy has to be WR Willie Quinn, due to clearinghouse issues he wasn't able to play last year, but his name has come up multiple times. Folks are excited to see him in game action.

uofmman1122
August 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
For Montana, Freshman WR Marq Rogers has been steadily showing huge potential, and even ran with the first team a few times in practice. It seems every practice he's catching 40+ yard TD grabs. I think he'll actually be starting before the end of the season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 19th, 2013, 10:58 AM
For Georgia Southern it would be Nardo Govan, a 6'2" 240 pound fullback. He will probably share carries with Dominique Swope (first team AA fullback).

CrazyCat
August 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Tanner Roderick has been making some spectacular catches.

Grizalltheway
August 19th, 2013, 11:17 AM
For Montana, Freshman WR Marq Rogers has been steadily showing huge potential, and even ran with the first team a few times in practice. It seems every practice he's catching 40+ yard TD grabs. I think he'll actually be starting before the end of the season.

Haven't been to any practices or scrimmages, but it sounds like Travon Van has been making a big impression on people, and could end up being a huge playmaker for us this season.

Bisonator
August 19th, 2013, 12:53 PM
For NDSU, 2 true freshmen may play right away in linebacker Nick Deluca and running back/special teamer Chase Morlock. Morlock had 45 yard TD run in Saturday's scrimmage.

catbob
August 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Tanner Roderick has been making some spectacular catches.

Yea, have heard nothing but great things about him... when he goes up against the 2s. I think he is doing well with the 1s when he is given a shot.

He was the MT Gatorade player of the year in senior year in football AND basketball from Bozeman High, got a scholarship to Nevada for QB. Left after Ault retired, transferred to MSU. Is just a sophomore, switched to WR, making some noise. He is incredibly athletic, obviously if he was the best football and basketball player in the state of Montana.

I think he was promised a chance to compete at QB next year after McGhee graduates, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay at WR - he is a natural and has good size and speed at 6'2 190.

The other guy who has been kind of a surprise is former Air Force QB Mitch Griebel. Another former FBS QB turned WR, he is very quick and has shown good route running ability. He probably won't see the field much this year at WR, but he is also just a Sophomore. But if David Dash doesn't perform, I think Griebel will be next in line to get some playing time this year.

SpeedkingATL
August 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
For Georgia Southern it would be Nardo Govan, a 6'2" 240 pound fullback. He will probably share carries with Dominique Swope (first team AA fullback).

Just what GaSo needs is another stud fullback!

Professor Chaos
August 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
For NDSU, 2 true freshmen may play right away in linebacker Nick Deluca and running back/special teamer Chase Morlock. Morlock had 45 yard TD run in Saturday's scrimmage.
I think you'll also see rFR wide receiver Carey Woods make a significant impact this year. The Bison have sufficient depth at WR but their top 3 guys have all been injury prone so I'm sure Woods will see some heavy action at certain times throughout the year. He was very impressive in spring ball and sounds like he's continued that momentum into fall camp.

catbob
August 19th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Also should throw out Gunnar Brekke - just a true freshman running back from Helena, Gatorade player of the year as well. I thought there was no way he'd see the field, but Ash has already proclaimed he will not redshirt him, and he is making some great plays in camp. He could very well be the #3 back by the time the season starts, behind Senior Cody Kirk and Jr. Shawn Johnson. But there is a lot of competetion for that 3 spot between Chad Newell, LA Tech transfer Brandon Davis, and Brekke.

Bisonator
August 19th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I think you'll also see rFR wide receiver Carey Woods make a significant impact this year. The Bison have sufficient depth at WR but their top 3 guys have all been injury prone so I'm sure Woods will see some heavy action at certain times throughout the year. He was very impressive in spring ball and sounds like he's continued that momentum into fall camp.

Agreed. Sounds like he will be a nice deep threat opposite Vraa.

Houndawg
August 19th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Juco RB Tay Willis is only 170 lbs. but consistently runs 4.26 - 4.35, benches 335, squats 500, and has been dropping jaws in scrimmages.

lionsrking2
August 19th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Southeastern Louisiana has several candidates but sophomore CB, Harlan Miller (6-0, 180) has a chance to really break out at a premium position. He's long, extremely athletic with excellent ball skills and will also return punts ... he'll take over for Robert Alford (2nd round/Atlanta Falcons). Our other corner, Todd Washington, is also a legitimate NFL prospect with 3rd/4th round grades and rated by Gil Brandt/NFL.com as the No. 1 FCS corner coming into the season, and No. 76 senior prospect overall. Miller is in the same class athletically and should be on the radar of NFL teams by his senior year.

Junior LB, Drew Misita (6-1, 240) is also having an outstanding camp ... he runs in the low 4.5's and very good in pass coverage ... hopefully he can stay healthy this fall.

SU DOG
August 19th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Southeastern Louisiana has several candidates but sophomore CB, Harlan Miller (6-0, 180) has a chance to really break out at a premium position. He's long, extremely athletic with excellent ball skills and will also return punts ... he'll take over for Robert Alford (2nd round/Atlanta Falcons). Our other corner, Todd Washington, is also a legitimate NFL prospect with 3rd/4th round grades and rated by Gil Brandt/NFL.com as the No. 1 FCS corner coming into the season, and No. 76 senior prospect overall. Miller is in the same class athletically and should be on the radar of NFL teams by his senior year.

Junior LB, Drew Misita (6-1, 240) is also having an outstanding camp ... he runs in the low 4.5's and very good in pass coverage ... hopefully he can stay healthy this fall.

What? NO mention of Bryan Bennett? Can I take that as indicating he is having a disappointing camp? Sure hope so. LOL

jmufan999
August 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM
JMU's DE Brandon Lee, believe he's a Senior.

if i remember, i think he had a good game against W&M last year. he also came on strong at the end of last year and apparently is even better this year.

JMU's D-line starters should be very good, I'm not sure about depth, though. Could be an issue.

lionsrking2
August 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM
What? NO mention of Bryan Bennett? Can I take that as indicating he is having a disappointing camp? Sure hope so. LOL

In your dreams! xsmiley_wix

Grizalltheway
August 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Also should throw out Gunnar Brekke - just a true freshman running back from Helena, Gatorade player of the year as well. I thought there was no way he'd see the field, but Ash has already proclaimed he will not redshirt him, and he is making some great plays in camp. He could very well be the #3 back by the time the season starts, behind Senior Cody Kirk and Jr. Shawn Johnson. But there is a lot of competetion for that 3 spot between Chad Newell, LA Tech transfer Brandon Davis, and Brekke.

I know we're doing fine at the RB position, but that traitor Brekke is still dead to me.

catbob
August 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I know we're doing fine at the RB position, but that traitor Brekke is still dead to me.

I know that game. Kanongata'a, you Benedict.

Sammy94
August 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Some of you may remeber this guy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNkhm1jhP3soqD4kfyi0YGLyY0bzLhh FByumWYwDzqwzcQosv3

Chris Grett was Brian Bell's back up at QB last year. He has moved on the opposite side of the ball and is playing safety now. He is having a fantastic camp and should start at safety.

Bisonator
August 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Some of you may remeber this guy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNkhm1jhP3soqD4kfyi0YGLyY0bzLhh FByumWYwDzqwzcQosv3

Chris Grett was Brian Bell's back up at QB last year. He has moved on the opposite side of the ball and is playing safety now. He is having a fantastic camp and should start at safety.

Is that the guy who tripped over the mid-field emblem in Frisco? xlolx

Who is Bell's backup gonna be this year?

Sammy94
August 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Who is Bell's backup gonna be this year?

The battle is on at camp to answer that its either:

this guy
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-05/cfb-recruiting-2012/story/qb-johnson-stays-in-texas-picks-baylor-over-oregon-others

or this one

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205443052

fmrbearkat
August 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM
The battle is on at camp to answer that its either:

this guy
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-05/cfb-recruiting-2012/story/qb-johnson-stays-in-texas-picks-baylor-over-oregon-others

or this one

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=205443052

Also worth mentioning that incoming true freshman John Roderique has looked really really good in camp. This kid has NEVER lost a game as a starting QB from his 7 grade year through highschool. 45-0 with 3 straight state championships!

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92958&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=208143560&Q_SEASON=2013

bjtheflamesfan
August 19th, 2013, 03:06 PM
True freshmen Stephon Masha and Justin Fritts have really made an impression on the coaching staff in the two scrimmages. knucklehead and/or Sly Fox can also weigh in on some unsung players who could make a real impact as well

McNeese72
August 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM
For McNeese, true freshman WR, Kent Shelby.

http://www.docsshots.com/img/s9/v87/p1649693171-5.jpg

Oh, wait, we don't have any good players, ignore this post. ;-)

Doc

PaladinNation
August 19th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Furman has 45 redshirt/true freshmen fighting to get on the field in 2013. A lot of the freshmen are getting rotated between 1st and 2nd team on both sides of the ball.

Offense
David Dingess 6-6 208 WR SO - has been a matchup nightmare
Marcus Anderson 5-9 203 TB RSFR - a change of pace bruiser
Andrej Suttles 5-10 182 WR RSFR - reminds me of Brian Bratton
Dillion Woodruff 6-1 192 QB FR - really, really, good… if it wasn't for Reese Hannon, Woodruff could be starting day one as a freshman.

Defense
Jordan Hawkins 6-1 282 NT FR - playing with first team, a sure thing for lots of PT as a true freshman.
James Elliott 6-2 230 DE FR - rotating with first and second team.
Richard Hayes III 5-11 178 SS FR - playing with first team and second team.
Byron Johnson 6-1 210 LB FR - playing with second team.
AK Olusanya 5-11 205 SS FR - playing with second team and third team.
Trey Robinson 6-1 202 FS FR - playing with second team and third team.

On defense Furman's second 11 will be mostly made up by freshmen. All three linebackers will be first year starters, their backups will be true freshmen.
The D line backups will be freshmen, and the FS, SS backups which usually play a good bit in Furman's scheme's will be freshmen.
The bad news that's a lot of young players, the good news the last two classes appear to match their hype.

seantaylor
August 20th, 2013, 02:22 AM
For GSU it is Matthew Breida. Burner. I hope we redshirt him, like I hope we redshirt everyone that is eligible regardless of class, but it is apparent he will be on the field.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Furman has 45 redshirt/true freshmen fighting to get on the field in 2013. A lot of the freshmen are getting rotated between 1st and 2nd team on both sides of the ball.

Offense
David Dingess 6-6 208 WR SO - has been a matchup nightmare
Marcus Anderson 5-9 203 TB RSFR - a change of pace bruiser
Andrej Suttles 5-10 182 WR RSFR - reminds me of Brian Bratton
Dillion Woodruff 6-1 192 QB FR - really, really, good… if it wasn't for Reese Hannon, Woodruff could be starting day one as a freshman.

Defense
Jordan Hawkins 6-1 282 NT FR - playing with first team, a sure thing for lots of PT as a true freshman.
James Elliott 6-2 230 DE FR - rotating with first and second team.
Richard Hayes III 5-11 178 SS FR - playing with first team and second team.
Byron Johnson 6-1 210 LB FR - playing with second team.
AK Olusanya 5-11 205 SS FR - playing with second team and third team.
Trey Robinson 6-1 202 FS FR - playing with second team and third team.

On defense Furman's second 11 will be mostly made up by freshmen. All three linebackers will be first year starters, their backups will be true freshmen.
The D line backups will be freshmen, and the FS, SS backups which usually play a good bit in Furman's scheme's will be freshmen.
The bad news that's a lot of young players, the good news the last two classes appear to match their hype.

Heard good things about Dingess. Furman has talent to burn at the receiver position, with a good mix of experience, size, and speed. Potentially difficult matchups for team with a couple receivers 6'4-6'6 and a few other slot-type guys that are good in space.

The real question is whether Hannon has developed enough in his game to get the ball out to these guys. I am a firm believer that Furman's ability to pass off the run will be the difference in the season.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 20th, 2013, 08:42 AM
The Freshman linebacker for App, Gilchrist has been better than advertised, he was the top recruit and he has not disappointed. In fact, there is a good chance he will be in the starting lineup. He has been so good, that the linebacker corp went from being a weakness at the start of the camp, to a strength.

PaladinNation
August 20th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Heard good things about Dingess. Furman has talent to burn at the receiver position, with a good mix of experience, size, and speed. Potentially difficult matchups for team with a couple receivers 6'4-6'6 and a few other slot-type guys that are good in space.

The real question is whether Hannon has developed enough in his game to get the ball out to these guys. I am a firm believer that Furman's ability to pass off the run will be the difference in the season.

I agree with most that APP has the WR Corp of the SoCon and maybe all of FCS.
PaladinFan as you were saying Furman at times this season will have 6-4, 6-2, 6-6 receivers on the field together.

Interesting note on Gilchrist…*I believe at one time he had a quiet commit to Furman, hate that we lost him to you guys… but Furman still got mostly who they wanted; McBride, Minter, Johnson, and AK… will be interesting to see who shines this season. Lots of talented linebackers will see action as true freshmen in the SoCon this season.

CID1990
August 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
We have some very good knobs, a couple of which will see action this year.

Our WR corps got a LOT better overnight. Hope Dupree and Miller can throw the ball in their vicinity.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I agree with most that APP has the WR Corp of the SoCon and maybe all of FCS.
PaladinFan as you were saying Furman at times this season will have 6-4, 6-2, 6-6 receivers on the field together.

Interesting note on Gilchrist…*I believe at one time he had a quiet commit to Furman, hate that we lost him to you guys… but Furman still got mostly who they wanted; McBride, Minter, Johnson, and AK… will be interesting to see who shines this season. Lots of talented linebackers will see action as true freshmen in the SoCon this season.

I am excited to see what it looks like out there. Again, in a perfect world where our young QB has a great grasp of the offense and makes the right decisions, I think you could see Snellings move right up there with the league's best receivers. He has haymaker potential, just can't get him the football.